Why is salmon so delicious? Is there a better fish?

Why is salmon so delicious? Is there a better fish?

I don't know why. I get sick of most foods pretty quickly, but I have yet to get sick of salmon.

Yellowtail, a good tuna steak and corbina are some local ones off the top of my head.

Walleye

Is there a way to reduce the amount of water that seeps out it while it cooks?

I wrap all of my meat in a paper towel before cooking it, to soak up as much water as possible, but salmon always tends to leak water while it cooks and often it will be stewing in a pan half full of water when it's nearly done. Spitting and splattering all over my stove and bench top.
Is that normal?

do americans call it "salmon fish", like how they call tuna "tuna fish"?

No...granted I live in a salmon area so maybe the stuff I get is better quality or s/t but that sounds bizarre

Sockeye salmon is amazing, still can't find a fish I like as much, it's a shame it's only available a few months a year

Your question overwhelmed me, trying to decide between 100 different possible options.

Honestly, every country that does some form of smoked/cured salmon is amazing. A fresh bagel with lox and cream cheese is probably my favorite food in the world, but there are also a few dozen types of sashimi that I could eat every day and never get sick of.

It's crazy that my parents grew up hating fish because their parents didn't know how to cook it and made the entire house smell "fishy" on "fish night". I can't imagine going through life without fish (both salt and fresh water) and shellfish. I could go without baked tilapia flown in frozen from a farm in who knows where, but good quality fresh fish is just about the best thing in the world, and picking a favorite would be almost impossible.

Thx. But the weird thing is that the super-expensive sashimi grade salmon that I get from the fish mongerer tends to leak much more water than the cheaper supermarket stuff.

I dunno. Maybe I need to cure it with salt or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No you just wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it.

But that might explode! Are you trying to kill me?

No I do this all the time. You leave a small opening for the air to escape if you're so scared. I put some quinoa inside as well.

Not really. Salmon is the best.

No one that I know in my state calls tuna, "tuna fish". I think you're looking for New Zealand.

>do americans

No. "Tuna fish" is kind of an anomaly, and is rarely used these days now that flyovers have access to tuna that doesn't come in a can.

It's sort of like how non-Americans get confused by "grilled cheese" because it's not really cooked on a grill, but was originally a diner dish made on a flat-top grill and the name just stuck. Baby boomers grew up with canned food and that led to canned tuna being called "tuna fish", I'd guess to distinguish it from cat food. Since the 90's people have been eating fresh tuna regularly and calling canned tuna "tuna fish" is just kind of a hold over from an older generation.

Thanx for the tip and I'll try that next time. About to search some recipes now.

This is the shit I'm talking about, btw. Did it just now.
But nvm because I'm never buying that sashimi crap again. It's too messy and taste like crap. Too pungent.

Was just wondering if this water leakage is a normal thing or not.

sounds to be frozen stuff... not fresh one
i never had fresh one loosing water when I cook it... or they made water injection in salmon, like in poultry ,now in the us?!!

This is the most delicious fish ever, period.

>sashimi crap again. It's too messy and taste like crap
you are in a flyover state seen you?

>frozen
That could be possible, though I didn't freeze it. I'll ask the store tomorrow if they freeze their fish.
>water injection
Never heard of that but I'll do some enquiries tomorrow.

Thanx.

Straya. I'm enjoying watching your electoral circus act, btw. Trump playing the role of the jester. Hilarious stuff!

>That could be possible
some fishmonger sell thawed fish as "fresh" ... and sushi grade fish had to be blitzfrosen in some states to kill the parasites (but not the bacterias) ...

and I am not from the us ... Europe here

Nope, never happened to me

>Straya
you have salmon farms down there? or in new Zealand maybe? if the fish is from Norway, chance is that he is frozen

Ain't got shit on catfish.

I'm so mad. I used to adore salmon but ever since this so called chef at Kobe served me undercooked salmon I cannot eat it without violently puking. I wish I knew how to stop this.

This explains a lot. Thanx! The fact that it's 'sashimi grade' suggests that it's most likely "blitzfrozen", as you say, to kill what needs to be killed.
If that's the case then I just won't buy the stuff again. Unless I plan to eat it raw which will never happen.
Thanx again.

I think there probably are fish farms and that's probably what they sell in the supermarkets. Though that salmon doesn't produce nearly as much water as the 'Atlantic Salmon" I get from the mongerer. Dunno.

Plus the supermarket salmon doesn't have bones, unlike the sashimi stuff. So there's that advantage too. Cheaper as well. No brainer, really.

Thanx Veeky Forums!

Get a Japanese girlfriend with a puking fetish?

>served me undercooked salmon
the only way to server it properly!
overcooked salmon is dry garbage

I eat it raw mostly (sashimi, ceviche) or as gravedlax.. in winter cold smoked

Out of all the fish Salmon is the one I don't eat. It tastes like feces and that is because they are fed feces. And you can taste the feces. I ate wild salmon once and it didn't have the taste of feces much much better but too expensive in most parts of Europe. So we're stuck with salmon from Norway and Sweden which is not wild and full of feces. Let me say this again feces feces feces oh and food coloring. It's like a feces tumurous mutant colored to appeal longer that it is fresh which it is not.

>Almost done

Why do you know what shit taste like?

*tastes

>JOHN
>FUCKING
>DORY

Step up, nigga

Wild salmon is not even the same species as farmed in 99.9% of cases. "Salmon" is not a species.

Why would you ruin it by cooking it?

flounder
also costs about 10 times less

looks like you are overcooking that salmon

Salmon is pretty good, but the best is mackerel.

Walleye

holy fuck you ruined it

Anchovy, not the shit in a jar or a tin.

Fresh.

>seafood
>ever
eugh :^(

I'm no culinary expert, but aren't you supposed to fry fish on the skin first and only turn it over near the end?

Or is this one of those ironically bad cooking meme pictures

>skin side down first
>skin goes crispy in the oil
>flip it
>skin on top stays flat so the bottom doesn't have even contact with the pan

fish isn't seafood

swordfish is god tier

and cod is cod tier

You're right, and that's how I normally cook it, peeling the crispy skin off right after I flip it. But today I wanted to try something different and, as expected, it broke up a bit.

I never claimed to be a suis-side chef, tho. Just a guy who eats stuff.

>peeling the crispy skin off right after I flip it.

what the actual FUCK is wrong with you if you said that to my face you wouldn't be having no open casket funeral boi

If I leave it on the moisture prevents it from staying crispy. So I peel it and eat it right away while it's still warm and crispy, like your mum's piss flaps.

>If I leave it on the moisture prevents it from staying crispy.

you're probably way overcooking your salmon if that happens.

???
Please don't tell me its meat.

Okay then I won't tell you that.

I dunno. Maybe.

it's flesh. you eat the flesh.

I grew up with salted cod. So have a deep love for it.

Recently I have started eating filleted fried robin, which is a bait fish and while it takes time it is fucking delicious.

Rainbow trout is essentially salmon but superior in every way.

>unmatched cutlery
>garish as fuck plate
>unseasoned things just placed on a plate

You've been American'd

Nah, mate. I just see food as fuel fro my temple and if seasoning adds no nutritional value then I don't see the need to put it into my body.
>instagram.com/thisfuelsthetemple
And I like my plates. They have a rustic charm.

Rainbow Trout

I wish I knew the proper way to do sashimi. My cuts are always shit compared to the ones you get in good sushi bars

>too pungent
It pains me to read this. You don't really like salmon. Or fish for that matter. Consider eating bean burgers instead.

Sometimes too much flavour can be a bad thing.
For example, if you like cinnamon then try eating a whole cup of the stuff and then see how how much you like it.
Pro tip; you might want to wash it down with some milk.

>Nobody has even mentioned Bass yet

Do you guys even fish?

Large/smallmouth/rock bass taste awful and I've never had Striped. I just stick with trout when the season opens up for my fish.

Largehead Hairtail and Sardines

Ugliest god damn fish, best god damn tasting fish.

Monkfish

Stop using a shitty pan? Try cast iron...

>Why is salmon so delicious?
it's fatty, it's versatile, and it doesn't taste like a goddamn fucking lake.

>I'm going to cook this animal that was born in the water and spent its whole life in the water
>why is there so much water in it

you don´t wash the fish either since he lived in water his entire life..

I like bass just fine, but it's just a small and bony version of zander.

nostalgia'd

Also the reason you only ever boil fish. You never take fish out of its natural habitat. Ever.

Escolar is delicious but you can't eat too much of it without getting orange oily shits

Grouper is wayyyyyyyyyy better.

You're probably dealing with frozen meat and most of the water is coming out of your veggies.

Why would you ruin it like that anyway?

Poaching is more than enough and preserves all the oils and nutriments.

>Frying fish

coat it in olive oil

>most of the water is coming out of your veggies.
there are no veggies in the pan, tho. look at the pics.

>someone did this just to troll people

I hear this shit is parasite heaven, but tastes like knock off lobster. pretty sad since lobster is delicious but I dont want to get parasites...

yes dumbass, that's how it works, and it does work because you cook most of it on the bottom. You can, of course, cook it in the reverse way, but only if you aren't an idiot and know what you're doing. It certainly shouldn't turn out like the picture that guy replied to.

>salt has no nutritional value
>herbs and citrus don't either
Stop blaming america for this. we're not this stupid, we practically invented eating fish (for the purposes of enjoying it anyway instead of whining that it's not beef)

Bluefin Tuna.

Too good for its own good. It is going extinct from all the over fishing.

How do you seasoned your salmon?
cant be just salt and pepper right?

Cod is the healthiest fish there is and if considerably less expensive than salmon.

>skin side up

REEEEEEEEEEE

I've been eating salmon an average of 4 days per week for the last year. I still love it.

holy fuck that's a lot of salmon

I love the eel they use on sushi, but salmon is godly. My grandma pan-fries strips of salmon in olive oil with a light coating of flour and lemon pepper and it's my absolute favorite thing she makes.

Fried crappie is God tier

I usually marinate them in bag with sweet chilli sauce, a couple of limes and ginger. Sometimes I go a little bit more oldschool and use sweet ray's.

Tai (a snapper-like deep Sea Bream) is pretty fucking tasty and versatile. Raw, grilled, fried, charred, in soup, bone stock, and so on. It can be like heaven herself is all around when done right.

The Japanese practically revere it.

southern boy detected. and fuck yeah, almost as good as fried flying fish sammich

>crappie
That's quite the name.

I've found steelhead trout to be a superior salmon.

Bluegill - but only when freshly caught. I'll take a fresh bluegill over any other fish.

Mahi-mahi is also an excellent fish. Great texture, great flavor, and not too expensive.