Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums.

I'm making some weeb curry in my slow cooker. I got my beef, my onions, carrots, celery, some chopped raisins, grated in a little ginger and semi-sweet chocolate, and added a little soy sauce, Worcestershire (what the fuck, Britain?), and sriracha. Tossed my meat in a little salt and pepper first, and added a little cayenne and dried red chili powder for some extra heat. Got my package of weeb curry roux in there of course, too.

Anything else I can throw in there to really elevate my curry to Fieri-levels of flavortown?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1Gzwr4dNP7S
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh yeah, also threw in a little MSG and I'm using beef stock instead of water for my liquid.

Oldfag Britchap here.

These sorts of curries were popular here in the 1960's and 70's , they are basically a curried stew. My advice is not to mess about with it too much,. . . .not sure about the 'semi-sweet chocolate, and added a little soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce . . .sriracha'.

Keep it simple mate, don't overdo it.

butter

Well, in my experience, packaged Japanese curries can be a little bland if you're making a giant pot because it gets so diluted. I didn't add a ton of the other stuff, just a bit to make the sauce a little bit richer. It's slow cooking, so I'm not going to lose liquid, if anything, I'll probably wind up with more liquid once the fat in the meat starts to liquefy.

I lived in Japan for a while years back and used to eat this shit all the time. I know curry houses there would often buy packaged roux then add their own signature ingredients to them. A lot of them would add soy sauce or Worcestershire, or chutney (Japanese plum chutney, usually).

How much butter? Just throw a knob or two in the cooker?

Why do you want to make shit curry when there's good curry?

Because it tastes good, and I want something I can just throw in my slow cooker and have good for the whole weekend.

Back in the old days, you could only buy 3 types of curry powder, Mild, Medium, Hot. Thickening was done with cornflower.

Yes they are 'bland' by todays standard but it has a unique flavour and if you start messing around too much, then you run the risk of losing it's appeal.

I'm pretty good at curries (we Brits love them) but like I said, if you start going ad hoc, then you are missing the point. This applies to Japanese curries too.

Alright, well I'll let it cook for a bit, see how it thickens up, give it a taste once the meat's at least cooked through. If it's too bland, I can always throw in some other shit.

HEY OP
don't add hot sauce/chili sauce until the end. cooking it will fuck up the flavor

hot sauce and sriracha are what you call "finishing sauces"
just my two cents.

Too late. I was mostly really only adding it for heat anyway, and I only added a little bit. Should be fine.

If you are stewing it, it could go bland, in that case near the end of cooking just add a little more 'curry powder'.

Just as an aside, regarding Worcestershire sauce, listen to this.

vocaroo.com/i/s1Gzwr4dNP7S

I have some curry sauce....but only chicken liver as sidedish

Should I abort or go for it?

Don't curry livers mate, it doesn't work, I've tried . . .never again.

OP here.

The sauce is thickening up very nicely and is quite rich. It was a little saltier than I wanted, so I added a little brown sugar, ancho powder, and cocoa powder, and it's just about perfect.

The meat is still not as tender as I want, so I'm gonna turn the cooker down to low and let it simmer for another hour or so.

Looking forward to stuffing this in my food hole.

Next time try using some fish sauce for the salt content instead of soy sauce.

I'm not really a big fan of fish sauce and I like the richness that soy sauce adds.

God you're fucking dumb.

I add coconut milk and a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter to my curries. They add a silkiness that's hard to beat.

Did you use turmeric or a pinch of saffron in your long long braise?

>no potatoes
throw it in the trash