So I'm gonna try making coq au vin for the first time...

So I'm gonna try making coq au vin for the first time, I'm gonna use boneless skinless chicken breasts and a sauvignon blanc since that's all I have available.

Any tips, or recommendations for the best recipe Veeky Forums?

I've been considering making a thread about this too, so if anyone can drop advice on this dish that'd be cool

>any tips

Don't use boneless, skinless chicken breast or sauvignon blanc, dumbshit.

You want dark meat with bones and skin, and you want to sear that shit and make a fond and braise it till it's falling off the bone using fucking Pinot Noir because it's a fucking iconic Burgundian dish and that's the grape they grow there.

Not even sure if trolling.

> braise it till it's falling off the bone
Oh, is that how it's done? No wonder I don't like coq au vin, I had it once and it was basically like boiled raw chicken. I thought everyone was crazy.

It was originally made with roosters who got too old for their own good, and was a way to make their tough meat tasty and palatable.

You can use any red wine that you find drinkable. Cabernets, merlots, even blends work fine. A good pinot is fucking expensive and turns an excellent peasant dish into an expensive one. This is hipsterism/yuppification.

Yeah, I already knew it wasn't ideal asshole, that's why I specified what I had.

I'm asking how to best adapt the recipe. So either contribute something useful or fuck off back to /b/ or whatever shithole you came from and be toxic there.

Assuming you're not a troll :
you should probably not make coq au vin if you have boneless skinless chicken breasts. it's a braise, you need meat with a lot of connective tissue and fat. like dark meat. It also should be made with red wine. If I had what you had, I'd pound the chicken breasts even, season generously, sear, deglaze w/ white wine, make a pan sauce.

Not that guy, but honestly he's right about using dark meat and red wine. Thighs and legs are the best. The connective tissue breaks down and makes the sauce. The red wine makes the sauce.

Why don't you just do a sauté with the breasts and a white wine/butter/lardon/garlic/shallot pan sauce? Boneless skinless chicken breasts tend to come out stringy and disappointing in a braise. Save the coq au vin for when you have the proper cheap ingredients.

>had it once and it was basically like boiled raw chicken
that's not how it is even remotely.
did you notice how that user said to sear it?

this. don't cook with anything you wouldn't drink in the first place. not that it has to be an $50 bottle, or even a $20 one.

Alright, well I found some red wine, but you guys convinced me not to try braising the chicken breasts.

I'll do what you suggested and just make a pan sauce.

Thanks for the actual advice.

>fuck off back to /b/

Why would you assume that someone who knows what they're talking about isn't from Veeky Forums? That's just dumb.

>parrots the info from the wikipedia article

yeah, he must be a world-class chef

Believe what you want, but some people don't need to look up a classic dish like coq au vin to know how it's made.

(I also lived in Dijon for a few years so happen to have a little knowledge of the food of the region, not to mention I happened to have cooked professionally for a few years, so have a little bit of an idea about how food works.)

But I never called myself a "world-class chef", and never would.

that's rich coming from a dumbass who wants to make coq au vin from chicken breast and sauvignon blanc

same, I've just cooked the thing a couple of times because fuck yeah coq au vin is awesome, and OPs post was almost troll-like in that nature. Sure an insulting rhetoric is more common to /b/ but still, this is Veeky Forums, home of people that take offense to simple uneducated statements and respond like they've got Tourette

>coq au vin
>boneless skinless chicken breasts
>sauvignon blanc

What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you have any idea what you're doing? This is beyond fucking sacrilege, it is disgusting.

You don't have the ingredients for the dish, so fuck right off. You're just going to ruin some chicken breasts trying to cook them as if they had collagen. Don't be pissed at someone for trying to stop you from being stupid.

>So I'm gonna try making coq au vin for the first time, I'm gonna use boneless skinless chicken breasts and a sauvignon blanc since that's all I have available.

Triggered SO HARD