Any degreefags in here? I was planning to transfer to mechanical engineering in about a year or so...

Any degreefags in here? I was planning to transfer to mechanical engineering in about a year or so, but I work at a CNC shop and I'm not very good at it. Is a degree in business/finance/accounting feasible or worth it, or is it just an epic meme? Also not going to an expensive school, about $10k a year.

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/occupation-finder.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't have to do CNC with a mech eng degree...

Just practice more I'm not the greatest machinist myself but I don't do it often. I sucked in my machining class but by the end I could see progress

If you're interested in engineering, I'd do a mechatronics degree. I did, and it gave me heaps of options after graduating. I started off working as a mechatronic engineer in robotics, now I'm doing software engineering, but had the opportunity to take a mechanical engineering path too.

I should qualify this a bit more. I'm 20 and my dad owns a machine shop and wants me to take over. That's why I'm doing mechanical. I've been working for 3 years and still can hardly do a basic setup. I'm terrible at engineering and have no idea how I'll actually take over the shop. I want him to sell it and I go into finance because I'm awful at engineering.

How are you planning to pay for this $40,000 education?

As a mechanical engineer I can tell you right now you don't need a ME degree to run a machine shop. Sounds like you actually need to take some time out and study the process, the machines, the tools, the business, and a lot of other shit. Talk to your dad you sperg.

I feel like if your dad can do it so can you, stop being a bitch. Seems to me you aren't trying hard enough

Have money saved up from crypto, going to CC right now and planning to transfer in a year. Local university is $10k a year.

Im a electronics engineer and part time ebay seller but i work at a shop 40 hours a week. CNC and all that shit is the most retarded shit i have ever done, i just do it because it gives me a lot of free time to fill ebay orders.

Previous this job i had html, mysql, photoshop experience. Nothing else.

I've been trying to do setups for a couple of years now, but I still make a lot of the same mistakes as always. I feel especially embarrassed because some of my co workers who have been working there for less time than I have are progressing better than I have. That's why I'm trying to go into finance, I'll be better in that.

Sounds good, brother. Just stay away from student loans.

By the way you could probably find a lot of answers to your questions at the BLS website. For exmaple bls.gov/ooh/occupation-finder.htm

I work in an electronics plant. What the fuck are you using a CNC machine on? You've got to be larping holy shit. 10/10 bait

Are you building SMT machines??? You're not a ducking electronics engineer

No. We do die sets and molds, i can do the cnc programming and setups, no problem.

Im an electronics engineer specialized in telecom, but i know jackshit about that.

Sooo you work as a CNC machinist with an electronics degree

>not going to an expensive school, about $10k a year.

While it may be true, you guys are fucked over so bad.

>Government pays me 500€ a month to go to the best school of the country.

guess where Im from

At least we aren't cuckold connoisseurs like you yuro poors

Yes, as long as you are good no one gives a shit and no one will ever ask.
I also met some dude who worked at phillips doing the same thing and he had one of those cisco degrees yet he was one of the cadcam superiors there.

i am finishing this faggy meme degree in 2 months from a good school and there is no chance I will get a job. Fuck you pussy, mechatronics is literally all giant faggots, every one of those kids is a giant faggot... idk how the fuck you can be interested in such stupid shit.

What are you even saying mate? I doubt you'd like most people in STEM but you didn't say anything about the skill set or what you actually learned?

i am 2 months from completing a Mechatronics engineering degree... what did we learn... jack shit. Just did faggoty math and took stupid classes that werent taught properly. University is a scam and a meme for soy boy pussies

stop being a pussy and study the machines you're working on. what the fuck is so hard about a basic setup? you put the part in the machine tell the machine where it is.... why is that fucking hard? stop being a mamby pamby primadonna

last year of law school

gonna start learning code on the side during my judicial clerkship so that I'm not out of a job in 10 years when smart contracts take over the world.

I'll be part of the .1% of lawyers that understand blockchain.

It's more than that, I've been doing it for a long time and I'm still terrible. How am I going to take over a machine shop?

Nigga did you learn anything about plcs ? You had to learn something you ducking autist

I learned doing the tutorials of solidworks, camworks, logopress, surfcam. The setups are explained in the manual. Whats the difficulty?

pay attention to the details.
make yourself a checklist.

make a procedure for testing each setup safely-
(run each tool 1 inch above larger or smaller dia don't use rapids on 1st run etc etc)

Mechatronics is like pigeon-holing yourself for no reason. Unless you have an extremely specific career path you are adamant on going down which requires a degree in mechatronics, straight mechanical or electrical engineering is just better

OP you're really shit out of luck if you're so terrible. Actually being terrible isn't a deal-breaker, its your lack of interest and lack of drive to get better at it. You can't just "take over" the business when the business is skilled fucking work that you don't have. None of your faggy accountant courses are going to replace the decades of experience your father has a machinist. Do something else

I disagree. When you graduate, no one is expecting you to hit the ground running. They just want to know that you're capable of finishing a degree vaguely related to what you're going to be doing at work. Mechatronics gives an overview of several different engineering streams, allowing to have your foot in many doors. If anything, a straight mechanical engineering degree is going to get yourself pigeonholed

>If anything, a straight mechanical engineering degree is going to get yourself pigeonholed

You're retarded

i work at a manufacturing facility that does contracts for commercial/military/medical electronics assemblies. We have electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, etc. I work as a quality engineer, first job after finishing my b.s. in statistics. I work with the mechanical engineers on assemblies that have moving parts, enclosures, etc. They are respected and paid well, and honestly their job seems the easiest out of everyone. Not a bad way to go, and doesn't require a ton of mental effort. Hope my experience helps you OP.

Learn Rhino3d its a cad software with many great tutorials then once u get a good grasp of it you can design jewelry and consumer products.

doing industrial engineering here, I think I would be doing something like your job. Do u hate life or is it ok?

My very first job was retail at a big box. compared to that, its heaven. Again this is my first job out of college, so I can't speak for every employer in the industry. My experience is very positive. The grass is always greener on someone elses lawn, I'm sure. I would love to be paid more, my salary should probably be about 15% higher- I'm asking for a raise in 1 month.