Why do chain pizzerias like Dominos/Pizza Hut/Pappa John's always have such a disgustingly potent smell that fills a...

Why do chain pizzerias like Dominos/Pizza Hut/Pappa John's always have such a disgustingly potent smell that fills a room and doesn't go away? Real pizza DOES NOT do this. What the fuck are they putting in his garbage?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_additives
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My guess would be the oil from low quality cheese heating up to pizza oven temperatures.

And bits of same low quality cheese burning in the oven where it fell off from the edge of the crust. That's an awful smell.

When I visited South Street in Philly 20 years ago, there was a pizza shop that sold these stinky -huge- cracker-thin pizza slices out a window, and they were cheap as hell. I ate every bite because I was hungry as hell.

I don't remember if I was clubbing or buying something, but I remember that goddamn pizza.

Nostalgia feels

I worked at papa johns. Management constantly bitches about food cost because they say it's all real stuff, not hyper processed. If that is true is probably debatable, but I also never noticed any dank smells. Just pizza.

>Real pizza DOES NOT do this.

The Tomatoes come from Central America? Italian Americans had the tomato before Italians from Italy

Don't believe in this fabricated lie and besides the smell is potent in all pizza

I've never worked at a fast food pizza place, but at a normal restaurant anything that's left in the pizza oven basically turns to ash in a minute or two and the pizza cook regularly uses a giant broom type thing to sweep it out.

I'd go more with the oil from the cheese, as I've also worked fry stations and aside from burnt food the only thing that really smells up a place is hot oil.

quite frankly, define "real pizza"

also, they make it smell potent because they know it triggers the correct receptor somewhere in your brain that makes you think "DAMN, I want some pizza"

>they make it smell potent because they know it triggers the correct receptor somewhere in your brain that makes you think "DAMN, I want some pizza

That's what BBQ places are doing when they set up the smoker in the parking lot or next to the sidewalk. If I catch a whiff of a fast food pizza chain I start walking/driving faster.

movie theaters also make sure the smell of popcorn is all over the lobby for this same reason

Nothing like that next morning feeling, hungover, and your poop smells like dominos and you start craving another pie

I wish water parks could figure out something like this. The few times I was dragged to one the smell off overlyclorinated water poorly covering the smell of little kid urine was so overpowering I went out to the parking lot and read/chain-smoked.

"Real pizza" doesn't make me feel like hot death in the morning, shitting my brains out with the most noxious of smells.

"Real pizza" doesn't have a distinctive odor that traps itself in a room and lingers there long after the pizza is gone.

"Real pizza" doesn't look like the same, perfectly cooked, evenly browned cheese, circular blob that seems like it was designed in a food laboratory.

>I only eat artisanal, small-batch, free-trade pizza

t. fat fuck from flyoverville

Cool post.

Tell me this isn't perfect

>cheese doesnt cover entire pie
not pizza.

>heavily asymmetrical
>not nearly enough cheese
>no meat
>topped with fucking leaves

>leaves
da fuq

I bet the addition of the leaves added $5 to the price

But that isn't 'Go style 'za...

Looks dry and flavorless

it's fucking basil guys, it's actually pretty good

Huh?

LEAVES

>anything that's left in the pizza oven basically turns to ash in a minute or two
And while doing so it gives off an awful burnt cheese odor. Bad non-chain places smell like that, too.
That's much closer to the kind of pizza I like, but it scares flyovers.

That's much closer to the kind of pizza I like, but it scares flyovers.

you tellin me those ain't leaves smart guy

>make me feel like hot death in the morning

The crust is the likely culprit here with all that sugar they dump into it.

However, this is easily fixable by simply eating less pizza.

This is probably right. Having worked at pizza butt, everything was greasy and had a unique smell. My uniform and car all smelled like it as well. Had to be the shit tier cheese and oil they use in the pans. The buttery soybean oil product they sprayed on the stuffed crust smelled pretty strong as well. Also, kys if you ordered anchovies and made my car smell like ass, order it on the side and you'll get a whole can.

stick to your fucking containment board

>getting mad about national franchises doing what they do best, consistency
shiggydiggy

>this triggers the liberal faggot

Jesus Christ, didn't know the mere sight of political candidates cause retards to sperg out.

Not even the guy you're replying to.

ITT: A bunch of flyovers debating "real pizza"

>shitting my brains out
Lactose intolerant, is what it sounds like

Oil-heavy food will do this anyway.

OP here. I live 20 minutes outside of NYC. Fuck yourself.

Nah my dude, I love cheese, and pizza from an actual, small business pizzeria never gives me the cramps, terrible smells, and foul shits that national-chain pizzerias do. It's like my body screaming out to me, asking me why the fuck I put that poison in my body.

Things come to mind:

>Quantity of cheese
Lactose Intolerance might not unless a sufficient amount of Lactase is consumed

>Hardness of cheese
Lactose Intolerance might now show for harder cheeses which tend to have less Lactase

>national-chain
Stabilizers, Emulsifiers, Preservatives. Bread, cheese, sauce would be all LOADED with it. Any chain has to transport frozen foodstuffs across the country from distribution centers so they require it to maintain a perfectly uniform product at any location anywhere. Single businesses can afford to be more direct farm-to-plate.

I have a friend who can't handle store-bought condiments (ketchup, BBQ, etc), for example, due to stabilizers and such. Not some "gluten-free" hippy either, actually ill.

> might not unless
*might not show unless
>might now show for harder cheeses
*might not show
fuck me

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_additives

Hundreds of things it could be

>I have a friend who can't handle store-bought condiments (ketchup, BBQ, etc), for example, due to stabilizers and such.

Once we've weened yourself from that bullshit for a while you don't want it anymore.

This sounds like it makes a lot of sense. Although from what I hear, a lot of the big chains don't use frozen ingredients, at least for their pizzas.

>a lot of the big chains don't use XYZ
Lots of places claim to not do "That thing all our competitors do!"

I'm moreso referring to stuff heard from former employees, like the guy in this thread who claimed he never worked with frozen ingredients in Little Caesars. And their fucking pizza is $5 a pie.

I fucking love that smell , even if it is basically disintegrated shit cheese.
CANT
GET
ENOUGH

Then they use refrigerated and need more stabilizers and preservatives.

Frozen isn't a bad thing, necessarily.
Frozen vegetables, for example, are better then "fresh" since they decay less from farm to plate.

All chains need distribution logistics. This requires transport logistics.
This means for perishable foods:
Either it's frozen or it's a really fucking short trip and stuffed with more preservatives than a mummy

What the fuck people have against "previously frozen" chain foods I'll never know. Restaurants, just microwaving something, sure that's complete bullshit for what you pay.I'd rather have frozen foods with fewer preservatives.

>shit cheese
You know what I never did understand either?
How cheese can have different grades like it does. It's curdled milk. Like mold growing on bread. How can you fuck up bread mold.

The only times it seems to be shit are with chain restaurants when it needs to be capable of surviving a nuclear apocalypse so they can transport it. So they use shit like that Tacobell liquid cheese that's more preservative than food, or that generic "mozzarella" like you buy pre-shredded and tastes like wood pulp because it's mostly wood pulp since real cheese is too inconsistent or something.

I don't think most preservatives are that "bad" for you either unless you've got some direct allergies. It's just kind of bullshit. Like the 20th century dedicated itself to breeding vegetables for color instead of flavor since that's what sells when it's on the shelf. Fucking ruined tomatoes.

>How cheese can have different grades like it does.
Different processes, ingredients and even differences in the quality of milk used. Cheese made on an industrial level will not be the same as that made by some nerds with their own herd of cows painstakingly going through a process hundreds of years old and very labor intensive. The latter will generally give a much better result, but it will also result in a substantially more expensive product as well.

In the early days on pizza in America pizza places made their own mozzarella, and the pizza was usually cooked in coal ovens. Low moisture mozzarella (the industrailly produced stuff the chains use) was specifically developed to melt at lower temperatures without throwing off tons of whey, making it perfect for use in places with gas or electric ovens. That changed the final product (pizza) quite a bit because the cheese was now a different kind (and lower quality) than in the original dish. But it made the stuff much cheaper to make.

Sounds like you have IBS.

How long would it take someone to eat a medium pizza from a chain ((restaurant))?
Maybe 15 minutes tops?

>glorified bread
Sure, the chain restaurants offer all this shit about free bread or additonal bread sides. But the shit in that picture is what poor people ate to get by. Then herald it like the pinnacle of cuisine.

dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella

>retarded Veeky Forums clover formation

You're probably right. I worked for Domino's, and they found that a lot of the time the ovens weren't at the correct temperature so it left the crust un-cooked in places. They sorted it out at the one I worked at, never had the Domino's shits again.