Let's settle this shit

Let's settle this shit

WHICH IS BETTER

Jameson. There is no more discussion.

>lel

There are some very good Irish and a ton of very good Scotchs. End of discussion.

That's not the end of discussion at all

If we adjust based on price to quality then irish wins. If money is no object then scotch

>>jameson

Take your Catholic swill elsewhere, altarboy.

Well obviously you judge on quality

Most of the Irish I had were lacking in character and just a bland "smooth" whiskey as opposed to a flavorful dram.
To me nothing beats a heavily peated islay. Ardbeg or laphroaig or talisker are my go tos.

If you're down with the whole iodine, peat, and smoke, you're gonna say Scotch.
If you're down with the whole slightly bitter, slightly burnt, flavor lacking, you'll say Irish.

My vote is Irish, but only because rye isn't an option.

Filthy Catholic.

Bushmills or death.

Yank whisky is a meme.

Anyway, not all Scotch is peaty. Speyside stuff doesn't really use peat at all.

I only drink Canadian rye, being Canadian has it's bonuses, like 100% rye whiskey, none of that corn, wheat, barley bs

Only Canadian rye I had was the crown royal and that was pretty grottie. What do you like? Usually I'll go for rittenhouse/pikesville rye and I tried the poopy van dinkle rye which was great but not cheap/easy to find.

>drinking whiskey

I know right

I drink whisky

Canadian Whiskey.

For alpha males with high test

Bushmills for shots, Scotch for everything else.

Bourbon > Single malt Scotch > Rye > Blended > Irish > Whatever it is they make in Canada

No one believes that, not even you. I live in london ontario.

>Ardbeg or laphroaig
I haven't had ardberg in a while

Canadian whiskey is fucking garbage, some of the worst whiskey on the planet.

>muh rye content

Fuck off. The fact that most of it is bottled as soon as legally possible only brings out the worst in the rye. No wonder every distillery in Canada is cranking out garbage spiced whiskey these days, anything to mask the flavor of their shitty 3 year old spirit.

Hi guys what did I miss?

>Jameson. There is no more discussion.
This. It's irish whiskey done right, in the improved method they invented to keep the smoke out of the peat fire to toast the groats. To top it off, they were the ones using sherry casks first, which is not just to add sherry flavor, but because they were charred casks that had soaking time long enough to cause the semi-char area underneath to give up their wood sugars. Then, Jameson was copper distilled, a process they made right. Call it basic because you think you love peat or you love smoke, but to me it's a variant based on your taste preferences, but it doesn't mean you should denigrate an innovative and delicious product based on price. Talk about it with the respect it deserves, and compare brands for being different or aged longer or blended better.

I'll tell you something else, it's rare or magical when a single malt comes out well, that it didn't need some expert to blend at the end. Great, that batch worked out. But, to act like single malt is anything but a lucky badge of courage, as if the very nature of being single malt is best? Well, it's not. It's just something to applaud if it works out well. Judge it on flavor.

Basically this, especially the bourbon being best part.

>Bourbon >
Opinion discarded.
Take your shitty scorchwood moonshine and chuck it in the fucking sea.

Powers here, you can't even pick a good Irish.

P.S. when you call it "Jame-o" the bartender hates you and purposefully shorts you.

>which whisk(e)y is better?
I haven't had both of those to create a proper opinion. I rarely drink whiskey in general and when I do it's bourbon. It's affordable and unoffensive.

>shitty scorchwood moonshine
That's an interesting opinion. I once tasted an Islay that I could only describe as having been passed through clothes previously worn near a bonfire.

Highland park.

/thread

Bourbon

Scotch has more distilleries and variety because historically, distilling did not get fucked as hard by various factors in Scotland as in Ireland. Scotland has kept doing it and done it more for some time that Ireland, and had the benefit of gaining some prestige for whatever reason, so the range of scotches is objectively stronger at this point. Probably getting a bit weaker though, as demand increases and scotch producers are stressed between price v. quality v. quantity. It seems like at least one of these is getting squeezed for most distilleries lately.

Scotch gets its smokey flavour from smoking the grain after it's been sprouted.
Bourbon gets its smokey flavour from taking shitty corn whiskey and leaving it in fire damaged barrels.

I drink irish

jameson for mixing
bushmills neat

peat has it's place, but a lot of scotch overdoes it

also whiskey stones

Protestant whisky and scam stones. Plz senpai

Irishfag here. You guys haven't even tried poitín. It's a type of homemade whiskey farmers make in their sheds. It's illegal to sell because of the alcohol content. That's some real whiskey.

you read about poitin on wikipedia, you're probably not even irish

it tastes awful because (here's the clincher) it's made in some shed

Tomorrow's my 21st and I'm an impoverished grad student who's never had scotch. Do I pick up the Glennmorangie 10?

laphroaig is my go to for introducing people to something new

I've tried it. It tastes fucking terrible. You don't gauge how "real" something is by its alcohol content.

Besides, it's not even really whisky.

Sure, but be prepared to probably not like it. Also I can't imagine living in a place where you can't drink until you're 21.

If you're talking about scotch vs irish, well, generally, scotch. Irish tends to be smoother and has less character, less complex flavours. If you're talking about Jamesons vs Glenfiddich, it's obviously Glenfiddich, by such a long margin it's not even funny. If you're talking about Jamesons vs a comparable cheap scotch blend such as Bells or Teachers, then yes, probably Jamesons. Unless the blend is Grouse.

There's a good reason it's one of the best selling whiskies in the world, it's an excellent tipple. That said, it's a complex flavour, so as a first timer you may not appreciate it. Despite being an out-and-out scotch drinker, I would recommend starting out on a bland, and characterless but easily appreciated whisky such as Jamesons.

You drank shit batches. I know a guy in Wexford who makes fantastic poitín. He brings me a crate every Christmas.

>Irish whisky
lel, come back when you can afford some proper whisky. Glengoyne 21 year old masterrace

not even a debate both very different

Bait.

I'm not looking for Irish whisky, though. It's not that I've never had whiskey; I've never had Scotch whisky in particular, and that's what I want to try.

Four Roses is nice

so is Jameson

Scotch is okay

it's more like the worst vodka/paint stripper that the gypsy that lives on our land gives my dad so he doesn't boot her off. Poitin isn't something I drink to enjoy, I drink it because I hate myself and it's free.

I grew up in Bushmills - was put into my bottle to help me sleep, given to me hot when I had a cold. I'm terribly biased towards it, but all of my foreign friends love it.

They're both whiskey

bushmills is probably my favourite irish

Bourbon

you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. never post on this board again.

it's not THAT inaccurate, captain autism

what is it about brown liquor that triggers such strong, genuine neckbeard pedantery? like no other food or drink?

>Muh sugary burnt brown corn alcohol

Want to tell me what part of that statement was false?