I have just discovered that Japanese curry sucks

I have just discovered that Japanese curry sucks.
I thought I was just preparing it badly but I just ordered it in a nice place and it's just not very good.
It's like a shitty gravy

Other urls found in this thread:

japantimes.co.jp/life/2011/08/26/food/curry-its-more-japanese-than-you-think/#.V5bBTPkrLIV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Interesting.
It does seem like the standard European version of curry and that's just not a very good dish.

It's not good as a curry, more like hangover diner food. Good once in a while, but has Cheesecake Factory levels of calories.

I would also like to state that the pic related tattoo is really unimaginative.
I am not sure why 5% of American women have chosen to embellish themselves with it.

U wot m8?
That shit looks nothing like any curry I've ever eaten in Europe.

It isn't very good, it's not pretending to be, it's not a gourmet meal, it's a cheap take-away/single food, if you order Japanese curry at a nice place you are silly, and also

Tikka Masala is also cheap take away but it's fucking awesome

>It's like a shitty gravy
That's exactly what Japanese "curry" is, a premade roux block with seasoning, to which you add beef stew ingredients, meat, carrots, potatoes. Congrats, you figured it out! They don't really like indian curries there, more of an british-american beef stew copycat food item.

japantimes.co.jp/life/2011/08/26/food/curry-its-more-japanese-than-you-think/#.V5bBTPkrLIV

That is true, my experience with Japanese curry is it's mild, sweet, has the standard "Keen's curry powder" taste. Also being served with plain white rice doesn't help, the best part of eating curry is the naan.

It honestly makes me a bit sick to my stomach.
I usually have an iron gut.
I can't quite put my finger on what about it makes me so angry.

I've had Jap curry that's pretty fucking good. You have to get it from somewhere that does it well though - the place I got it from was some shitty little shop run by an elderly Japanese lady in a side street.

You're right about it tasting like gravy though, but it tastes like gravy in the best way, like it was mixed with really well made curry. If you get it I would avoid beef if possible and go for chicken or pork (if available), especially if they do it breaded and deep fried.

You are correct but also a year or two late

women are sheep, newsflash.

It could be because it is a fusion food, it's asian-ized and has soy sauce in it, which might not feel like it belongs somehow.

it's much sweeter and thicker than normal curry, i really like it with tonkatsu. I've also made it myself with typical stew veges and meat and it's a really good cheap hearty dish.

Try some coco-ichibanya curry my nig.

>Europe
>authority on curry

Stay pathetic, britbongs

It honestly is a newsflash for me.
I have always sort of been in awe of women.
I am only now realizing that they kinda suck.

Considering the amount of pakis around here we're the fucking oracles of knowledge, sunshine.

Right. Compared to, oh I don't know, India or fucking Pakistan?

I mean, I get it, your cuisine is so famously shitty you had to steal your national dish from Pakistanis.

Not the same user but those pakis perform way better as expats so yeah, the best curry right now is in britiania bongia

Based user. Lived in Japan for 4 years. The only cuisine worse than their curry is omurice and tacorice.

first off, we're talking about that shit tier Nip curry that comes in blocks. Some Fattyclap claimed it looked like curry from Europe and I'm telling him from experience that that's flat out fucking false.
Secondly, you're either a wog, in which case you can fuck off back to your cornershop. Or you're a Merkin. In which case you can go back to shovelling handfulls of chilli cheese fries down your gullet with your hands and fuck off.
Questions?

Literally just ordered a japanese curry fuck you

rate it

Someone already ate it/10

It's Peasant Food 101. Literally a plate of gravy without the meat. The ratio is completely off. Canadians do this too, pour gravy over fries, but not have it served alongside actual meat that made the gravy. Gravy is heavy, usually fatty or heavily flavored. Does that fried piece of pork which is tough btw, need that much? The fact it's with white rice makes it useful? Not at all that much. It's gross.

The panko crumbs will help,but I am so glad to be done with jap curry.
From here on out its maki bowls and sushi for me.

It's not gravy you dumb fat clappy fuck

>which is tough btw

Wasn't tough at all family

All curry sucks.

I cannot understand why people eat it.

In the grand scheme of things, everybody pretty much suck.

>It's like a shitty gravy

It is.

>>It's not good as a curry, more like hangover diner food.

Not it isn't.

>Tikka Masala is also cheap take away but it's fucking awesome

This is good hang over food.

Also, Japanese cannot do bread either. Fucking spongy shit.

Coco's/10

>britain
>europe

nice try, merkel

>britain
>not located in europe

this is what bongs really believe.

Might as well have gotten the cheese burger curry if you're at Coco's user

>but . . . but we voted!

Well this thread turned into a /pol/tard fest.. Anyway yes Japanese curry is actually based on 19th century British Navy stews flavoured with a, by modern British Indian food standards, quite bland generic Victorian spice mixture.

Yes modern British South Asian food is some of the best in the world due to the number of immigrants from former colonies in the post WWII years and comparable to curries from the subcontinent if not superior.

Protip: Add an apple and some honey next time.

It's already about 15% sugar. Like, the ingredient list literally goes "oil, flour, sugar" then everything else.

There is more sugar than there is curry powder. In a curry.

>Japan takes a foreign dish and turns it into shit

Who would have thought?

men are sheep too, but it's less of an instinct for us

>Yes modern British South Asian food is some of the best in the world due to the number of immigrants from former colonies in the post WWII years and comparable to curries from the subcontinent if not superior.

I think the best curry I had on a recent trip to London was from an Indo-Caribbean (Trini) place.

Maybe it just improves the more layers of diaspora it's filtered through

Does this mean you're a fag now?

Fuck I wish.
Still attracted to women but realize they are horrible.
Really not sure what the hell to do now.

Welcome to /lgbt/, what can I get for you today? Okay, a double tranny with cheese. Would you like dicks with that? They come in two sizes: feminine and monstercock.

You seem a bit homophobic user.
I have many gay friends but cannot join them because I was not gay at birth.
I wish I had won that lottery but I did not.
You do not get to pick your sexual orientation, at least most people including myself do not.

I want to think this isn't a collection of frozen jizz but I'm on Veeky Forums.

>Indo-Caribbean
WTF, just say Trinidadian or Caribbean. Yea, chinese people immigrated there, as did workers from India. But, it's Trinbagonian food and nothing more. It's pretty unique. No one else is making doubles or buss-up-shut curried goat Roti.

My favorite thing is the tamarind mango chutney served along with the chickpea dough pholourie. I could eat those fried balls everyday. Enjoy!!

>You seem a bit homophobic user.
He says to the dickgirl. I have adamantium jimmies, okay. That's my super power.

>You do not get to pick your sexual orientation
It's called tequila, user.

Anyway, OP has the insight of a Grecian oracle. Japanese curry does indeed taste like a shitty stew. Pic semi-related. It's a roguelike about killing monsters and turning them into curry.

>I have always sort of been in awe of women.

Kind of looks like shit

i've always liked jap curry, but that might be because of my pleb tier genes

Was that really a Complile Heart game?

Nah faggot, it's great. Indian food is made by subhumans for subhumans, the Japanese version is literally only good because they learned how to make it from the British so it's twice-removed from the poo stew Indian street shitters call curry.

Your opinion is in the minority

There are actually some really good and popular Indian restaurants in Japan. Unlike ones in the UK etc they are pretty traditional and haven't been bit by the contemporary wave.

Same experience.

>thought I just sucked at making indian curry
>friend and I go to restaurant, split two different curries to try them
>the one tastes exactly like the shit I made that I hated
>other is alright, not great but edible, but look it up on mfp and holy shit calories, like as many calories as lasagna or some shit

Curry is a meme.

Lost my appetite, thank you, I had been craving a sandwich with pesto or something and now I want to carve out my intestines.

>standard european version of curry

you mean curry sauce? the kind you have with chips? cause we have actual indian restaurants in europe dude. a lot of them

tikka masala is just as fucking bad.

not only are rich curry sauces often called gravy, but jap curry sauce is actually pretty much identical to a traditional british gravy, just using curry powder.

>pretty much identical to a traditional british gravy

Lol, what?

A classic British gravy is made from the drippings of roasted meat thickened with flour. It often contains stock or wine, and/or other additions like preserves.

Jap curry sauce doesn't start with drippings from a roast. It doesn't contain wine or stock. And while it is common for some Jap curries to contain fruit, it would be sweet fruit like apples, not the tart preserves (i.e. currant) you see in British gravies.

a classic british gravy is a starch thickened meat stock (or fake meat stock) slurry. wine in gravy is hilariously unbritish for obvious reasons.

>and/or other additions like preserves.

what the fuck are you talking about?

it's like you have paris syndrome for british gravy.

>>what the fuck are you talking about?

I'm British. The family has always used wine in our gravy for Sunday roast.

>preserves
Commonly recommended by many British chefs including Ramsay and Jamie Olivieoil. A little redcurrant is fantastic in gravy for roast beef.

Is your gravy experience limited to Bisto or do you actually cook?

>Japanese curry

>not Indian or Thai curry

I love Japanese food but they can certainly not make curry worth shit, but I guess that's what happens when they borrow from the British.

I agree that Jap curry is nothing like Indian or Thai food but I think it's still tasty on its own merits. It's a totally different dish, whether it's "authentic" doesn't really matter to me.

i actually cook and my gravies are usually heavily inspired by french technique. redcurrant jelly is french influence. so is wine. the 'traditional british gravy' in most family homes over the last century has been a pretty modest flour thickened jobbie with drippings, no wine, no redcurrant, no reduction, just gloop or bisto.

>redcurrant jelly is french influence. so is wine.

perhaps, but it's old. Beeton's suggests both, and that dates from the 1850's.

My nigga

Yes but the women of this century are really horrible

I like the gravy style as it's own thing, though I agree the curry I get from the Thai places I do to is much better.

>Korean people in charge of Japanese food

Japanese curry is a brainwashed weeb meme. Literally any type of curry is better.

Speaking of bad bread, when I was in India all the leavened bread (outside of Pondicherry) was atrocious

Huh?

I was gonna say that

Your food is made by minorities, hahahahahahahahha.

i've prob had every kind of curry. my fav is probably my dad's thai massaman curry. but for some reason i love that japanese insant curry mix. that shit is comfort food to me. gravy and rice...fuck yeah.

also i've had curries ordered from vending machines in tokyo, authentic curries made by hole in the walls all over thailand, and indian curry...

i read massaman curry as masacurry. know i want that to be a thing

Nigga the bread in Japan is great. The options in super markets suck, but the bakeries are wonderful.

Have you actually been there?

Why do I have the urge to tip this in my anus

Anus, shit, curry, so back to the topic at hand

Apparently the 'chocolate block' curry is what they use, can't remember the name. I've had it before, it's a meme.

Partners' Mum puts it in curried sausages though and it makes it God tier

Yes. Still haven't played it myself

S&B is the big one that's available in the US. Vermont is the most popular one but it's sweeter. I also never find it in any stores in any Asian markets I go to.

I think it's cute

Because they're such free spirits

Love it as an alternative to a stew on winter nights. It's a total comfort meal for me.

I haven't had a good, proper curry otherwise though. Anyone have any suggestions for recipes? Or a good place in Chicago where I can get one?

>Anyone have any suggestions for recipes?

Sure, I could share something but you need to narrow it down a bit. What style of curry do you want? The Jap style is pretty much its own thing. Once you start talking about "proper" curry there are many many variations and they are very different from each other.

I'd like to think I have my jap curries down, so I'm not worried about that. If there's a good "definitive" Indian curry, I'd like to give that a try.

>"definitive" Indian curry,
There isn't one, there's several major styles and countless variations.

Anyway, this one should suit your needs. This is a southern Indian style.

2 large onions, sliced.
2 tomatoes, chopped
a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
several cloves of garlic, smashed and finely chopped
1 tb mustard seeds
3-4 cloves
1 tsp garam masala
1 tb curry powder (the quality of this matters. don't skimp on a cheap brand)
2-3 lbs chicken (your choice of cut)
2 cups coconut milk

Heat oil (or ghee) in a pot. When hot, add the mustard seed and cloves. They will pop like popcorn. When the popping stops, add the onions. Caramelize the onions just like you would for French onion soup. This can take 45 min to an hour. When the onions are done, add the garlic, tomatoes, dry spices, and ginger. Fry until the raw smell goes away (maybe 2-3 minutes). Pour in the coconut milk. If you want your sauce chunky, then proceed. If you want it smooth, then puree it. Add the chicken to the sauce. Simmer on low heat with the lid on until the chicken is cooked through--the cooking time will vary depending on what cut of chicken you chose. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with basmati rice and naan

Was this the bib game?

Huh. Thanks user.

Of course it does, it's based on 19th century British interpretations of Indian cooking.

And a frugal military recipe on top of that.

That's just how it is. Japanese curry is bland by nature, made by and for people with a very mild palate. It's a cultural thinger.

>Veeky Forums - Food & Cooking

whats wrong with women in uniform

reminds me of this.

The premade roux is gonna suck if you don't have anything to it. I use homemade beef stock, tomato paste and espresso to deepen the flavor. It sounds crazy, but these things improve it drastically.

I use mirepoix with browned onions (deglazed with beef broth), chopped up browned cross rib roast deglazed with mushrooms and beef broth, then add the two together in the pot, mix in the tomato paste until it incorporates into the liquid. then pour in the necessary amount of beef broth according to instruction ( omitting about a cup and a half to accommodate the liquid released by the vegetables), then pour in about 4 ounces of espresso, and add your curry roux. cook that shit on low until the beef is fork tender, and eat it with calrose white rice and an ice cold beer.

( If the consistency is too thin then gently mix in corn starch or potato starch until you achieve the desired consistency.)

Call me a plebeian, but this is one of my favorite meals, and it reminds me of my time in Japan.

The espresso adds kind of a mole (mow-lay) type of effect to the curry.

so is japanese curry basically pakistani nihari or is it literally just gravy?

>(mow-lay)
Growse