Discuss

Discuss.

agreed

No

Honestly I only eat blue rare family.

He's completely in the right.

Medium-rare is the most commonly eaten and socially acceptable level of doneness, and coming to someone's house and asking them to cook you something different than everyone else because you think you're a special snowflake is rude and poor etiquette.

>it is acceptable for a host to force their will on guests
Pardon me while I fuck and stone your wife because she isn't covered in a traditional burqa.

>Expecting somebody to cook the same dish five different ways to please you
Fuck off.

Depends of course if the host asks how people want their meats. If that is the case I see no problem wanting a well-done.

>being a manchild that gets upset because someone wants their steak on a grill longer
You're pathetic.

>coming to someone's house and asking them to cook you something different than everyone else because you think you're a special snowflake is rude and poor etiquette.

no it isn't, you made that up. INCONVENIENCING them would be, but you don't do that when you ask for them to worry a little less about overcooking it.

>WAAAHHHH! I WANT IT BURNT!!!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!! WAAAAAHHH
>You're unwilling to waste your time fulfilling my wishes? You're a manchild!

What does that have anything to do with food? If you go to someone's house and they cook for you, you should be gracious, not treat it like a free restaurant and expect them to cater to your tastes.

Not that guy but you clearly don't have actual friends or people that you invite over.

there's nothing ungracious about expressing a preference that is widely permitted in dinner party etiquette. you're trying to make up another rule because you look down on the people who violate it - which is the action of an ungracious host.

>dinner party

This isn't a dinner party you effeminate fruit, it's a barbecue. And you're getting what you're given.

We don't have any 1967 Chateau le Neuf either. We have beer.

Babby's first troll attempt is going well.

Agreed. And if I mixed up a big bowl of salad that included tomatoes and onions and some picky eater manchild said he thought those were icky, I wouldn't make a special salad for him either, just because he's a big man baby and won't eat an entirely common food.

ok dad. have fun raising violent, anti-intellectual kids.

> violent, anti-intellectual kids
Or as Americans would say, "real men"

I'm American and I take offense to your bigotry and ethnic profiling.

Still better than being an Euro-cuck and needing to import the real men from middle east to fertilize our women.

What the fuck? I didn't come here to discuss your cuckold fantasies, white neckbeard

>If you don't burn my steak especially for me, you support Islamic terrorism
K.

I can smell your fedora from here.

Wool doesn't have a smell unless it gets wet

Yeah I wiped ur mum off with it

>this is a nice halal bbq user, but your wife has no burqa, it is time to stone her
your argument goes both ways

thats not his fedora.

your reading comprehension isn't very good lad

it seems yours isnt much cop

giving either the guest or the host total control is completely stupid

I'd find it a little odd but if a guest asked for his steak well done I'd have little problem with it, after jokingly calling him a faggot of course.
>oh no I have to keep this particular steak on the stove a bit longer what a travesty

you've lost the plot, lad

If a guest asks for it, sure I'll make it well done, buy he will be judged for it.

are you swedish by any chance?

dra åt helvete

>people don't understand metaphors
(cwl)

well done isn't burnt. And there's a clear difference between whining like a baby and asking for your steak well done, don't act like there isn't one.

>>people don't understand metaphors
>proceed to not understand continuation of metaphor

wew

Jesus you are retarded just end your life now

What if I like my steaks medium?

Then go home and fuck up your own steak.

I'd simply take yours off last. That's not a big hassle like asking for one steak to be left on for another 7 minutes or so, and isn't as childish. There's usually going to be a range of donenesses when you're cooking that many steaks all at once, so you could probably get one closer to medium without making any special requests on the cook.

Demanding a well-done steak is like being a little kid you screams and cries about your signature puttanesca you made for the get together and demands you cook a single serving of noodles with nothing but butter and cheese.

what if they were old or pregnant??
>live by the meme, die by the meme I'd tell them to leave too

celebrating conformity is not what 90's kids are all about bro

>implying an old or pregnant person faces significant risk from eating a rare steak

I thought medium steaks were acceptable on Veeky Forums

[picture of a hat]

>well done isn't burnt

Yes it is.

I'd sincerely enquire as to why they prefer well done meat to rare or medium rare.

I can understand why somebody wouldn't like to go rare as the texture of rare can be too gelatinous for some people, but any meat that is no longer pink in the center has been cooked to a point where it has lost its optimal flavour and juiciness.

I assume most people prefer well done because they are squeamish or afraid of food poisoning, both logical failures.

>I'd sincerely enquire as to why they prefer well done meat to rare or medium rare.

and you'd be a knob for doing so

'can i have it this way'
'why'

congratulations, you've just alienated your guest

>alienated your guest

Why do you find simple questions to be alienating? Does it offend you when someone asks you a question or are you happy to explain the reason for your preference? If the former, why?

Obviously it depends who is asking, if its an elderly woman I'd probably say to her "not a fan of a rare steak?" And leave it at that.

If its a guy I'd probably tell them it tastes really good and recommend they give it a go.

I don't have many friends, but I make new ones just as readily. I've accepted that my open mindedness and fearlessness of others both attracts me to people but pushes them away.

it doesn't offend me, i don't even have that preference, i just know what is annoying and what isn't. if you're doing it as banter, fine, but if you're 'sincerely enquiring' you're gonna just make them uncomfortable for having to defend their preference for the umpteenth time.

>If its a guy I'd probably tell them it tastes really good and recommend they give it a go.

he knows you think that. he knows people want him to eat rare steak. rare steak is a dead horse.

>rare steak is a dead horse.

Are you implying that meat cooked to the appropriate doneness for maximm flavour, juiciness and tenderness is simply a trope?

If you take them off the grill at medium rare, then they will be a solid medium by the time you cut into them

>what is carry over cooking bitches

Hank Hill BTFO by propane

Burnt is when there's black residue retard. Try not to make jokes this is a very serious thread.

no. i'm saying the people who prefer well done steak don't do so because they've never heard rare steak is better. they've heard it a hundred times. they just don't want it. you can try to bully or persuade them into it if you want, but 'sincerely enquiring' is just gonna come across tiresome and autistic.

Did.....did you graduate high school?

(ok) (cwl)

That isn't what a metaphor is, user.

>rare
>maximum tenderness

lol.

tenderness, flavour and juiciness are about cooking the meat minimally while also breaking down connective tissue. some steaks are gonna be better above rare for this reason unless they're low-temped

s-shit

Burnt is when it's overcooked.

Well done is overcooked.

QED.

>Some steaks are gonna be better above rare for this reason unless they're low-temped

Alright faggot, its called a general discussion, not a specific description of each and every cut of meat.

if you're specifically talking about filet you're right, otherwise no, you're generally wrong. there is no objectively best temp for meats, there are pros and cons and preferences either way.

But that's not how it works, you fucking retard. Burnt is a much higher extreme of overcooked.

Nice trips.

Like the other trips said asking for medium is completely acceptable because it asks little else from the cook. It is not a horrible inconvience.

All the arguments against well done imply it is a hassle for the cook so I ask this:

What if the cook normally has their steak well done? Are you going to throw a fit and be a hassle or are you going to stick to your word and eat at least a medium well steak? It is one or the other.

great point

Pretty much this

>M-m-m-uh burnt meat isn't burnt!

Whatever you have to tell yourself to make you feel better about your ruined food.

Hey I don't even like well done, I'm just trying to help retards like you who can't tell the obvious difference between 2 different things

>or are you going to stick to your word and eat at least a medium well steak? It is one or the other

It's completely different. Anything above medium isn't considered acceptable by most people, it's considered ruined. it's like saying that your grandma who's taste buds no longer work throws a cup of salt into everything she makes because that's how she prefers it, so you should just cringe and bare the inedible food she serves you.

Taste may be subjective, but it's not that subjective.

Depends on the cut.
The cheaper the cut the more cooked I like it.

A rare rump steak is bad in the same way a medium well fillet steak is bad.

>wah wah wahhhhhh why doesn't he cook steak like my mommy does!!!!!!!
Sheltered brats like you is why the economy is failing

>A rare rump steak

rump steak doesn't even qualify as "steak".

If it's not filet, Tbone/porterhouse, strip, or ribeye then it's not a steak. Yes, I deliberately left sirloin out of that list.

>Anything above medium isn't considered acceptable by most people, it's considered ruined.

i hate to tell you this dude but i don't think that's true.

like if you're calling it 'ruined' you're probably just trying to project an image of being gordon ramsay. something has been lost, but it can still be perfectly enjoyable.

>something has been lost
>perfectly enjoyable.

Pick one.

>muh no true scotsman proclamations

kill yourself

let's talk about short ribs. you've probably eaten them ground up in a burger or braised heavily until they're falling apart. what about one sous vided for three days? it's still pink, steak like in firmness but super tender and flavourful. is it 'ruined' when you have them smoked or braised now? or is it a different kind of good?

get rid of perfectly and it works retard

Lots of people order med-well or well-done because their parents taught them that anything else is raw.

People with experience beyond what their bad cook parents taught them generally agree that mid-rare is the ideal for a steak; that's just a fact, and not some try hard Gordan Ramsay fedora opinion.

>People with experience beyond what their bad cook parents taught them generally agree that mid-rare is the ideal for a steak

fine, but you're shifting the goalposts. mid rare is a bullseye for the alignment of certain desirable qualities in a steak. some people prefer a skew one way or the other.

No it's not
it might be dry and tasteless, but it's not burnt
You aren't slowly burning food to cook it, something is only burnt if it was on fire and/or reached high enough temperatures

Yes, that's the whole fucking point. Why would I want a steak less than perfect when I could have it BE perfect?

"close enough" is not good enough. It must be perfect. What's the point of buying an expensive cut of meat if you're not going to prepare it properly?

No shit, I'm talking about the case where if it happens it's still ok to eat the meat and not throw it out.

you used the word ruined. you obviously think you're gordon ramsay. protip: not many chefs respect that guy.

>some people prefer a skew one way or the other

Absolutely, but well-done isn't a skew, it's a hockey puck.

it actually isn't, it's just completely grey. that doesn't mean it's completely dried out.

holy shit why is everybody so angry, can't we all just get along?

drink bleach

I hate vegans but sympathize with some of their arguments, specifically about factory farming and people generally eating too much meat, so when I see people say it's okay to ruin a piece of perfectly good meat than an animal had to die for by cooking it well-done I get a little angry. There is no compromising on that point. It's also a form of being a picky eater, which is the lowest scum of all of Veeky Forums.

Why so hostile C:

>that doesn't mean it's completely dried out.

No, but it does mean that all of the proteins have been denatured all the way to the center of the steak. And that makes the texture unpleasant.

I denatured your mother's proteins last night

>cooking a thing longer doesn't cause more of the water to evaporate

Whatever you say, pal.

>No, but it does mean that all of the proteins have been denatured all the way to the center of the steak.
> And that makes the texture unpleasant.

i know what you're trying to get at but this is pretty dumb.

>cooking a thing longer doesn't cause more of the water to evaporate

i said it wasn't completely dried out, not that it's as moist as a rarer steak.

Only for good cuts of meat, if you're going to put a steak on such a pedestal, why would you bother with a shit cut.

>eat well done steak
>have always preferred it, find the gelatinous texture of less than well done unpleasant
>well done is only dry if it's cooked past 160F, it can still be juicy just like chicken or pork that's well done
>don't spend too much time thinking about it
>there are people who spend hours of their lives talking about how my preference is wrong or worse than theirs
>mfw
i'll probably try raw meat for tartare or something when cultured meat is available since it's less likely to contain parasites and bacteria though

The only proper way to eat a steak is Black and Blue w/ a glass of scotch