Guys, my neighborhood i've lived in for the past 12 years is gentrifying hard

guys, my neighborhood i've lived in for the past 12 years is gentrifying hard

i'm not poor so it's not such a big deal to me but something i've noticed is that the more restaurants open up around me the shittier the quality gets

i went to this hipster "brgr" joint last week (no vowels is cool, right guise?) and literally nothing was good. the fried chicen was overcooked, the salad was bland, the fries were dry

fucking garbage

all the good restaurants are gone or """upgraded"""

my favorite pho place """upgraded""" and i went there once and the pho $4 more and was fucking COLD

is this normal? i know hipster condo dwellers are lame but do they really like cold pho and bland food??

Other urls found in this thread:

brgr.com/
ediblebajaarizona.com/tucson-designated-unesco-world-city-of-gastronomy
tucson.com/entertainment/dining/city-of-gastronomy-honor-is-about-more-than-food/article_06a33038-a512-5fae-a2b6-949702d983d6.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You either live in Chelsea, the Upper East Side, or the Upper West Side. You should look up what "gentrifying" means because I think you'll find it doesn't mean what you think

Also, "upscale burger chains" have always been shit

i'm not american and i know what gentrifying means

>americans

Are you upset that they don't stock Irn Bru there, Angus?

You sound like the type who deserves to get displaced by gentrification.

His usage was perfectly fine you fat clappy fuck

White people chain stores getting replaced by other white people chain stores = gentrification

Learn something new every day

idiot

No u

Look if you didn't understand OPs post that's fine, but just stop posting

Where are you getting this idea that any of the places OP mentioned are chains?
Do you routinely imagine people saying/writing things they never said/wrote then have paranoid delusions about these things they never said/wrote and rage ineffectually at them or is this a one time thing?
I mean... that seems to be exactly what you're doing here.

Are you a conspiracy theorist? Does the leaky tap send you secret messages in Morse code, too?

It looks like you're the only one confused here
If you don't live in the city you should refrain from trying to use words you don't understand about neighborhoods you've never heard of

Because it is a chain. See

No one said it was a chain

My experience is that the early moments of gentrification in a neighborhood are kinda exciting. The first couple good coffee shops appear, and suddenly you can find good wine. But once things get going you end up with pricey bars, restaurants and grocery stores that sell image more than quality, and the new people moving in tend to be awful entitled rich kids. By then the good high end restaurants start popping up, and the neighborhood becomes a dining destination (and loses most of its most of its "livability").

That's when I get out, and I've been through this several times. I left Williamsburg in 1999, the East Village in 2005 and the LES in 2012. Fortunately I bought on the LES, which funded my move to South Brooklyn, where the first cute coffee shops appeared over the last year. My place has doubled in value, and none of the good cheap places have closed yet. No fine dining options yet - I still go back to the EV and LES when I want to drop some serious dough on a nice meal out.

As soon as I read "brgr" and pho I immediately thought UWS, which has hardly gentrified - that hood has been rich as fuck for ages.

>reacts oddly in conversations
>frequently misinterprets situations as being strange or having unusual meaning
>attentional impairment
>imagines conversational points and argues against them rather than engaging in the conversation as it is

Schizotypal disorder confirmed.

It's frightening to think that 5% of Americans have this problem and that they all seem to post to Veeky Forums.
Unless you're Angry Philip-Morris Guy. In which case: howdy-do, APMG! How's the no wife and no kids because you're an insufferable twat who no one will ever love? Good? Cool.

No one had to, I've been there, it is a chain
Did you eat too many lead paint chips as a kid or something? I mean seriously what the fuck is your defect?

brgr IS a mini chain in NYC, tho.

I'm not APMPG, but I am the guy who gave him that name. Are you seriously trying to argue that brgr is not a chain?

op here

i'm not talking about chains

i'm not american as i said before

Someone should tell all the other places in the world, of which there are at least a dozen, that share the same name.
Because, of course, no city in the world could possibly be home to a place called Brgr AND a pho place, too! That's just imfuckingpossible!!!
Pittsburgh, Glasgow and Perth don't exist!

then your opinion is invalid. this thread is about New York, if you don't like it, you can leave.

>I'm from flyoverania.
No one fucking cares about cuck land.

No, I'm trying to tell you that just because there are several places named that wherever the fuck you live doesn't mean there aren't a kazillion other places with the same name in several other places in the world with absolutely no connection to the ones you know about.

Here's another example: The Cakery. There are places by this name in St Louis, MO, in Hong Kong, in Dayton, OH, in Southlake, TX, in Portland, OR and Denver, CO, among many, many, MANY others. And guess what? They're not connected and aren't part of a chain!
Imagine that!

And none of the China Houses in all of the US are a chain, either. The more you know.

Uh no it wasn't. You obviously know piss all about NYC.

Brgr is an all right chain - their shakes are the best thing on the menu.

OP, meanwhile, is a faggot that probably moved to NYC 10 minutes ago, and wants to shit on the people who moved here 8 minutes ago. It's a sad type here.

>maximumdamagecontrol.exe initiated

Which part of South Brooklyn? Just left "Ditmas" (fucking Flatbush), which is gentrifying, but not worth the trouble. In BedStuy now, and it's perfect, but will be likely pushed out in 2-3 years.

>just because there are several places named
It's not my fault NYC is the center of the universe

Maybe you should have thought about that before you opened a thread of a picture of two guys based in the gentrification capital of the universe, complaining about a burger chain located in the actual capital of the universe
>b-but there's also some guy with a beard in my irrelevant city
Who gives a shit. Your thread was fucked from the start

>samefagging this hard

no one cares that you live in new york

brgr is a NYC chain, you fucking lepton. There's3 locations.

>if I shitpost hard enough I can reclaim my thread
Nope. We own it now. You can leave whenever you feel like it.

And many other places too. brgr is not limited to NYC. There are many restaurants called that all over the place.

Try again faggot. You need a hugbox or something?

Those three cities together don't equal half the population of NYC. If your little restaurant someplace else shares the same name as a NYC chain most folks will think NYC when the hear it. FFS, you could open a hot dog joint in Melbourne and call it Papaya King. That won't change the fact that most folks who recognize the name will immediately associate it with NYC.

being 19 right now trying to find a mentor chef is impossible. just got my red seal level 1 and have over 2100 hours as a line cook yet even after 2 unpaid months of stages and endless interviews, i cant find kitchen based around simple passion.

Im done fucking working with hipsters who dont even comprehend food safe. your fucking beard and glasses dont make you some artistic prodigy chef. im worried about being stuck peeling potatoes for 5-10 years til im actually fucking cooking and creating.

>Scottie! I need more power! maximumdamagecontrol is failing!
>ah k'nae give ya more power, tha's all there is, sir!

HERP DERP.

wut is a trademark?
wut is a copyright?

brgr.com/

Just let it go. I know it's hard for your autistic ass, but let it go before it gets worse.

>most folks who recognize the name will immediately associate it with NYC

Yes. But so what? What bearing does that have on anything?

>In BedStuy now, and it's perfect
You live in the same neighborhood as Lena Dunham, doesn't that make you feel gross?

>19, line cook, want to "create"
Good luck with that.

>wut is a trademark?
>wut is a copyright?

Totally irrelevant to the thread? That doesn't stop there being other places name brgr elsewhere in the world.

Lena Durham lives in the same neighborhood as me. I leave Williamsburg, she follows. I leave Greenpoint, she follows.

I just wish Karen O was still around . . . .

>Karen O
I used to be friends with a guy who banged her

>Living in NYC
>Not upstate

"brgr" will have that kind of name recognition, regardless of whether other places in other cities have a place with the same name. The simple act of being in NYC puts you on a bigger stage.

Aaron, is that you?

Everyone in NYC is a whore. That's part of the fucking joy of it.

Only if you consider Hudson Valley upstate.

I refuse to acknowledge what my name may or may not be

Anything north of Riverdale is upstate

I mean, Hudson's OK for a day or two. But there's no comparison, farmboy.

>living in new york at all

I'd consider it anything north of Newburgh, or starting in Dutchess/Ulster.

"That's what the middle of the country is for, people who gave up on their dreams"

>implying I live in the Midwest

Shut up. You're an American and you will be everyday until you like it.

I live in Maryland, but my family is in the nice areas of Rochester/Syracuse. Also have a few cousins living in the Hudson Valley

Does anyone actually get a restaurant week res at Jean-Georges? If so, how?

Oh, are you in LA, or some suburb of San Jose?

Don't worry, you'll get a real city one of these days.

Hipsters like that are absolute garbage. Politics and everything.

I've spent time in both Rochester and Syracuse. "Nice" is a funny way to say "upscale strip malls".

Wilmington NC actually. I'd rather shoot myself than live in LA.

You have no fucking idea. Particularly when it comes to food this place is a giant playground. Want world class fine dining? Take your pick of almost 100 places that qualify. Want amazing cheap eats? Delicious fresh stuff is available for what the rest of the country pays for fast food. Like to cook? Pretty much anything you'd want is available here, and if you know where to shop a lot of it is cheap as fuck. I'm shocked when I go into a supermarket in Anytown, USA and see the prices people pay for poor quality (and variety) food.

If you can manage to set yourself up where rent/mortgage isn't eating you alive here the rest is fucking gravy.

I'll admit that does sound great. But i doubt I could find a decent place that is affordable, plus I don't think I could adjust to life in a huge city.

>i doubt I could find a decent place that is affordable
That's the secret right there. You'd pay a lot to live in a not yet cool neighborhood, then sit and watch the tide come in if you chose well. I've been doing it for 20 years, and it required three moves. Currently sitting in Sunset Park, which a real estate trade magazine just named the coolest neighborhood in the USA. (From a real estate perspective, mind you). The tide is coming in, but I bought CHEAP, so I'm set.

That's flyover country, and the middle. Stop quibbling about details.

How's it feel to know this
ediblebajaarizona.com/tucson-designated-unesco-world-city-of-gastronomy
Hint, it's the first and only one in America

>cold Pho

Oh, user. I'm so sorry.

Listen, it's a fad.

OK. You know how everyone talks about the nineties like they were such a great era and all? I mean it was, but there was a dark shadow, the restaurant scene. It was eclipsing local restaurants and the old ones had to change or be more like them. For the general populace a franchise restaurant with fake nostalgia screwed into the walls offering bland food was it, now we have fake sophistication offering bland food. Before it's was the same dishes with new goofy names only bigger than you've ever seen, now it's impractical and unsolicited changes in ingredients and presentation served by a man in a handle bar mustache who carries a kerosene lamp at all times.

It'll pass.

I hate these stupid brunches too. There's a brunch fad again where I live.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA You're fucking kidding me, right? TUCSON? You can't even compete with Chandler for food.

I mean, El Charro is great. Other than that, you guys have to pretend you invented the chimichanga even to get noticed on a regional scale.

>brunch fad
Oh yeah? How's the weather in 2003, user? Just wait until you hear who your next president's gonna be after Bushiepoo. Whoa-howdy, it's gonna be a real shocker to ya.

>implying Obama didn't get 100% of the brunch vote

Ignore him, retard didn't even read the article properly.

I can smell your stench in every thread you post in, you passive-aggressive fuck.

You missed that "again", user?

I'll take you up on that claim. What other posts are mine?

BedStuy is gonna be over soon, and you sure as fuck don't want to land in East New York, unless you have the money for real estate speculation.

If I were you I'd try to get ahead of the curve next move, hopefully buying a place. Both Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst have been slowly appreciating (many who grew up there say they're over), but they're still about five years from properly catching fire. You can still find great deals there, then sit back and watch things slowly start changing. Bay Ridge is cool as fuck, and the last affordable bits of it are being snatched up as type this. Now would be the time to jump if you felt so inclined. Otherwise your next move will be deep into Crown Heights.

Just curious, what was East Village like pre-2005? I lived there last year and can't seem to get the image whenever some one tries to describe it to me

I love BedStuy, and don't really like South Brooklyn myself. I'm thinking the bubble might burst soon, and I'll be able to pick up a building with some friends and not get priced out anymore. I tend to use stocks more for speculation, housing to me is something I'll buy as little of as needed.

Having dated someone in Bensonhurst I'm really not a fan of it - plus my job is in Midtown and that commute is bad enough to make Jerz look good by comparison.

Like Williamsburg in 2009, or Bushwick in 2014.

Understand completely. South Bklyn is severely lacking in nightlife, making it deeply unattractive to single young people. But that makes it very attractive to the kind of young families looking for a place to buy. These are the people who caused Park Slope to become the disgusting but upscale place it's become.

I'm neither single, nor young so I don't give a fuck about nightlife. I'm a food nerd, and this place is just a step short of Queens on that front. Also I like the idea of living in a place I got for cheap that I'll be able to unload for double or triple what I paid for it if/when the neighborhood starts turning into Park Slope. Fuck, if that happened tomorrow I'd almost double my investment.

tucson.com/entertainment/dining/city-of-gastronomy-honor-is-about-more-than-food/article_06a33038-a512-5fae-a2b6-949702d983d6.html

>i went to this hipster "brgr" joint last week (no vowels is cool, right guise?) and literally nothing was good. the fried chicen was overcooked,
OP goes to burger restaurant and orders fried chicken. Never heard the phrase "when in rome" dude?

And, I'm sorry, if I was served cold soup, I'd send it back. To even get cold pho seems impossible, or how else does the raw meat get cooked? I'm going to suggest you have growing pains, a neighborhood with investment but without the trained service staff in the local workforce, as yet.

The difference between Park Slope and South Brooklyn is that Park Slope has always had some "main drag" type streets that provide an epicenter of civic life. Old grocery stores, bodegas, and so on. Places you can walk to. Of course, the nightmare began when confused young mommies decided to terrorize the sidwalks with their tandem full suspension designer Italian jogging strollers.

South Brooklyn is edging into cager hell, similar to Bensonhurst or Canarsie or Staten Island. You can sort of get by without a car but you can walk for blocks and blocks and never see a single street-level business.

>you can walk for blocks and blocks and never see a single street-level business.
That seriously depends on which blocks you live near. I'm in the 40's between the Latino strip on 5th and the Chinatown on 8th. The streets are all residential, but there's tons of street level stuff going down on the avenues. 5th is full on from 38th all the way into Bay Ridge, and 8th is the biggest Chinatown in NYC from about 42nd to past 60th.

I have a car, but pretty much only use it to get out of town.

Like I said, I see the bubble bursting soon. They already overbuilt for the rich, and the condos everywhere are coming online and stopping the insane rent increase. When that happens, I don't think you'll continue to see massive growth in further areas, since you won't have as many people being driven out due to rent increases. Just my opinion, of course.

I was basically married while living in South Brooklyn, so didn't mind that. But all my close friends are either annoying Greenpoint marrieds, or single people, so didn't like being a $50 cab ride away. That eats into rent savings quick.

>guys, my neighborhood i've lived in for the past 12 years is gentrifying hard

congratulations

Look up where brgr is, that's not the case here.

God damn Yankees.

I'm 28 and I've never been to a brunch but I've always wanted to until 11am hits and I'd rather just sit around and do nothing until brunch ends.

I love the theory though, just could never be assed to go to one.

>OP goes to burger restaurant and orders fried chicken. Never heard the phrase "when in rome" dude?

Welcome to New York. Next week he'll review their vegan wraps while bitching about ventrification

Is it in rome?

I owned during the last bubble. Know what happened? The market went flat, not down. Then people swept in to profit off foreclosures, and a new bubble began with white kids buying the foreclosures in formerly black neighborhoods.

I could see crappy new condos in places like Williamsburg losing their value, because those were built on speculation. Housing stock in increasingly popular middle class neighborhoods with limited stock to begin with? Not gonna lose any value no matter how big a bubble bursts.

The pho here isn't even good, it's mostly made by chinese opportunists capitalizing on internet memes

Op is probably a teenager living with his parents, I don't think any adult with his shit together enough to afford a place on the Upper West Side can be this out of touch.

Ditmas Park and Kensington are "gentrifying" neighborhoods

The worst part about any neighborhood getting gentrified is that all of the restaurateurs figure out that they can double prices, make shitty food, and make a ton more money if they simply update their decor to modern-hipster-chic w/ dim lights

Ditmas Park is a hell of a lot different from the rest of Flatbush

what's next, Mott Haven?

upstate is everything North of Orange County

only low brow retards call Westchester upstate

Hi Westchester, what's the weather like upstate today?

Do you like in the trailer park next to the Goethals Bridge?