I've got a vegan girlfriend...

I've got a vegan girlfriend. I'm trying to make her a special dinner but have no clue where to start since she isn't a total faggot about it and I didn't have to change my diet for her. Plus I've never had to make anything nice before that is vegan too. Got any ideas?

I miss being able to just grill up a steak or boil some crab and making it look fancy and expensive when it's really not.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg
translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.cretangastronomy.gr/2011/07/%CE%B3%CE%B5%CE%BC%CE%B9%CF%83%CF%84%CE%AC-%CE%BC%CE%B5-%CF%81%CF%8D%CE%B6%CE%B9-2/&edit-text=&search_plus_one=form
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just give her your nuts to suck on, that should be vegan enough.

google recipes you lazy fucking cunt. if you want to talk about veganism just make a vegan thread or look for the existing one. also lying about having a gf on the internets is sad. kill yourself

Those are for desert user, why do you think I'm doing this all in the first place?

Tofu quiche. With roasted potatoes, and a salad.

Fine, this is now a vegan thread. The recipes I googled were interesting but I didn't know what to choose. None of them sound appeasing to me.

I've never had tofu before. Am I going to face disappointment when eating this or am I not going to even notice it's tofu?

It doesn't taste like anything. That particular recipe is flavoured with hummus, nutritional yeast, garlic and stuff. Use whatever you like though.

I can't find the recipe I used, but if you blend the silken tofu with tapioca starch (or chickpea flour, or anything other starch I guess) it bakes into a custard like pie.

I skimmed through a couple recipes and it seems alright, so I'll take your word on it. I have to make a test run to see if it's any good. As long as it's not soup or a substitute for meat I'm happy.

Any desert recommendations while I have you?

You don't like soup?

I dunno. My go to is cashew cheese cake, but you don't want to serve basically dinner pie with a dessert pie. It's also summer so nothing too hot.

Maybe a simple parfait. Fruit of your choice + whipped coconut cream. Sprinkle with graham crumbs or whatever.

Make a fancy dish and replace the protein with something vegan. Relying on expensive proteins to impress a girl is culinarily immature. Learn to cook and you'll find that there are plenty of things that can be made vegan without using dumb gimmiicks or meat substitutes that are made to look like the real thing.

do a pad thai
youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg

Don't cook her "vegan" food (shit with fake cheese, fake butter, stupid fucking tofu etc).

Cook her some some traditionally animal free italian food or some french vegetable dishes w olive oil instead of butter

Parfait sounds good. And it's not that I don't like soup, I just have had a tons of soup lately and I'm all tapped out.

That's why I'm asking, I'm not trying to be expensive or gimmicky.

She doesn't like fake dairy products so I think I'm covered there, but I'll look into that. How hard would some of those dishes be for someone who doesn't cook often?

Make Gemista (stuffed vegetables). Hollow out potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and bell peppers and keep the insides (except for the pepper) in a bowl. Add parsley, a bit of mint, chopped onion and tomato paste and some a couple of chopped tomatoes and blend all these together with the "innards" of the vegetables. Add risotto rice and if you want to be adventurous some bulgur wheat/couscous (2/3 rice, 1/3 bulgur wheat is a good analogy). Mix all the ingredients together and stuff the vegetables with it. Place the "lids" on each vegetable and put them in the baking tray, chop some potatoes in the tray and add those too. Put lots of good olive oil, tomato paste and grated tomato in a pitcher, mix and drizzle over the contents of the tray.

Cook at 180*C for 1.5 hour

Use this recipe on google translate for reference and visual aid:

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.cretangastronomy.gr/2011/07/%CE%B3%CE%B5%CE%BC%CE%B9%CF%83%CF%84%CE%AC-%CE%BC%CE%B5-%CF%81%CF%8D%CE%B6%CE%B9-2/&edit-text=&search_plus_one=form

ratatouille's easy to make, can be presented well, and you can just use olive oil
also don't date a vegan chick

f u c k
that sounds good.

They're fucking delicious, perfect food for the summer. The ingredients that you mustn't skimp out on are the olive oil/tomato paste and grated tomato & the seasoning. In Greece they're served with huge chunks of feta that I like to mash up with my fork into little bits and mix with the stuffing but OP's girlfriend is an arsehole so that won't be possible for him.

Check out thugkitchen.com, their stuff is all vegan and it's all pretty good. I HIGHLY recommend trying out Mexican food. It's really good veg/vegan. Thug Kitchen has a recipe for mushroom and lentil tacos that are fucking excellent.

Also, most people get lazy and make it only with tomatoes and peppers but that's incredibly stupid. Most of the flavour in the stuffing comes from all the veg you add, the insides of the eggplants, zucchini and potatoes make a huge difference.

>special dinner
Any kind of assembled vegetable casserole indicates some love and time involved and makes a nice presentation. Paired with a nice summery salad, with some fresh beans, rare cheese, caramelized nuts, something like that paired with a homemade dressing might shine. Or premake some chilled summer salad, like a marinated mushroom and orzo. Can't go wrong with any recipe that uses ripe tomatoes you can find full of flavor. Find a cool rare dried pasta shape, and build a cold salad around it, long shaped pasta-asparagus-lemon vinaigrette.

If you head over to Marshalls or even IKEA, you can pick up some pretty individual casserole terrines x2, on closeout. Individual makes a nice personal casserole or puff pastry topped item. Or, it can mean you can add meat to your personal dish without abandon. Find a pretty tart pan, and try your hand at a tart with lined up veggies of your choosing, or a quiche.

Homemade pasta such as a gnocchi is special effort that is really quite easy (just watch some old Molto Mario episode if you need a clue). Seasonal fresh sauce.

Homemade pesto or Aglio Olio e Peperoncino, as long as you make the shit in front of her so she doesn't think you used a jar. The fat dude in Chef made Scarlet Johansson's panties wet by doing that.

The italian could be easy enough I guess. It's also quite easy to make an indian meal with store bought sauces and have it seem impressive:

Serve:

Curry made with store bought sauce (make it the day before and reheat it for ease/flavour)
A few different pickles and chutneys
Naan bread
Rice flavored with (for example) cardamom and coves
Onion Pakoras/Bhajis (you can buy these in the store but they are quite easy to make too)
Some kind of yoghurt dip
Make some fancy coconut milk cocktail

IDK what vegans eat for desert desu but what's above will seem p impressive

Look up some indian dishes

oh and a mango salad

OP here, thanks for the help guys, barring the first two faggots.

it's kind of a cop out but can't go wrong with grilled portabellos

>I've got an omnivorous boyfriend. I'm trying to make him a special dinner but have no clue where to start since he's a total faggot. Luckily, I didn't have to change my diet for him. Plus I've never had to make anything nice before that has meat in it. Got any ideas?
>I miss being able to just toss a salad or put ants on a pine tree branch with asparagus and make it look fancy and expensive when it's really not.

And 100 internets say the girl eats dairy products.
And $1,000 would get the broad to eat a steak.

Can't go wrong with roast (sweet) potatoes, OP. In fact most roast vegetables are a great choice. Y'know, bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, green beans and whatnot. Alternatively you could make rice with tofu curry.

As for dessert, vegan ice cream is a thing. You can probably pick some up at your local health food shop if you have one nearby.

She's lactose intolerant

>Tofu quiche
doesn't exist

>vegan
>eating ants

My vegan room mate calls honey "bee vomit" and actually compares bee keeping with the holocaust. I can't imagine a vegan being fine with eating ants.

He sounds like greentext material

Make some Udon with shiitake mushrooms and kale in miso broth. Shit is so simple and delicious. Pretty quick too. Just boil the udon, saute the vegetables with some ginger and garlic, chuck in some water and miso paste, then toss in the udon for a couple of minutes.

Make her something cooked in chicken stock for the ultimate kek. She'll love the flavour and ask what your secret is.

Post it. Drop a story would yah?

She only eats your meat, right?

Check minimalistbaker.com or just make Mediterranean food.

>perfect for summer
>requires turning the fucking oven on

Yeah nah

Mary Moon... she's a vegetarian (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
Mary Moon... will outlive all the septuagenarians (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
Oh, she loves me so
She hates to be alone
She don't eat meat
But she sure like the bone

noice

He basically fits all the vegan stereotypes.
>Dr. Gregor
>Animal Liberation Front
>Proud liberal
>Tells me to check my "species privilege"

>"user did you know eating one egg is as bad as smoking 5 cigs"
>"user what would you say if you were an employee in a supermarket and I came in covered in covered in blood, stood by the meat aisle, and started chanting for animal rights?"

And there's this story:
>cooking steak
>think about how good it would taste well done and slathered in enough ketchup to rival a 'go 'za
>room mate walks into the kitchen
>"user are you ok with raping a woman?"
>he's also a huge feminist so I assume it's one of those talks
>No. Why do you ask?
>"Did you know a cow was raped in order to give birth to the calf that was raised and slaughtered for the beef you're cooking?"
>Tell him it's disrespectful to say that, especially since I know someone who has actually been raped
>He says it doesn't matter if the victim is a human or bovine, it's still rape
>Calls my mindset "speciest"
>Finish cooking, steak is medium rare
>As I'm walking out, I quip "you know either way, the best part of it is getting to savor the juices"