Camping food?

So, here's the deal Veeky Forums. I'm going on a three day long camping trip with my gf and at least 6 friends in a little over a week. The trip will have your standard camping itinerary; in the woods on a lake hiking/swimming/fishing while drinking heavily. I'm the only one of my friends who can cook worth a shit so I'm assuming that responsibility.

What're some good easy meals that can be made over a fire for 8-10 drunk fucks that aren't the standard burgers and hot dogs? Preferably something that can be done with the campfire as a heat source. I have a grill and cast iron skillets.

Other urls found in this thread:

smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/shakshuka/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bannock bread, curry or stews with smoked meat or jerky, eggs ad bacon, pandcakes, biscuits, savory and sweet breads, corn bread, grilled meat(first night unless you have cold chests, rice dinners, pasta dinners, SOUP, oatmeal/cream of wheat/grits

red meat will keep to the second day un refridged, poultry will not. deli meats likewise, but smoked or jerked meat will keep better. eggs will last forever, take a lot of them.

if you are static camping you have a lot of options, a big cooler and ice can stay cold for 3 days, get a ducth oven and a big pot for hot water and smaller pot for pasta/rice. if you are packing it, get a set of camp cookware and ditch the cast iron, learn to enjoy dried foods.

Cured meat
Baked beans
MREs

Why go camping if you are just going to eat shiity preserved foods?

Hobo packets are the best when camping, for ease of cooking, easy clean up, and still having a full meal. You cam make all sorts of combinations:
>potatoes, carrots, and onion
>potatoes, carrots, onion, and sausage
>variety of cut up squash, plus eggplant and peppers
>peppers and sausage
>sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli and onions
>cubed beef, potatoes, onions, and garlic
You get the idea, there's any number of combinations. You can even premake something like lasagna, cut it into portions, and put portions in foil packets with some extra tomato sauce at the bottom (to keep the bottoms from burning) and heat that up over the fire. The nice thing about hobo packs is you can just take bags of vegetables and some rolls of foil and make them at the campsite.
As far as breakfast goes, nothing beats pancakes and sausage links. You can even find pancake mix in a jug that you just add water to and then shake and pour.
For snacks, take hard fruits, jerky, nuts, easy things like that.

When cooking for lots of people while camping I try to do all stuff that I can cook in one large vessel and then serve everyone. My favorite thing to do is to cook a whole chicken in the dutch oven and eat it on its own or on sandwiches, and the next day cook the leftovers into a stew.

If you get a big aluminum baking dish, you can throw whatever veggies you want in there and let 'em cook over the course of an hour or so (or maybe more, I don't keep track of time while camping). Or, you could do something like a succotash if you wanted more protein.

Be advised that drunk people never have much of an appetite for healthy food so the more meat-based and sauce-covered you make what you cook the better

Shakshuka served with rice or pasta or bread or tin-foil baked potatoes (in the fire obviously). Dead easy to make.

smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/shakshuka/

Also, pasta putanesca is easy and the ingredients are incredibly easy to carry (anchovies, capers, olives etc can all be found in cans)

Obviously if carrying stuff is difficult skip the fresh tomatoes and use canned ones but they make a big difference.

OP, do you have Hobo Pie makers?

If you're dealing with drunk people all the time, this would be the best, and easiest thing to do. Not everybody likes to eat heavy meals when drunk, and at different times. Search the interwebs for Hobo Pie recipes, breakfast, lunch and dinner are covered.

Pre make a stew, mac and cheese, Chili (make it real thick, not watery)... shit like that. Freeze it in 2-4 cup sized ziplocks, DOUBLE BAGGED.. and you can use those frozen blocks for your beer cooler. Pull them out earlier in the day to thaw. Scoop that shit in between a couple pieces of bread in a pie maker, shove it in the coals for 5-10 minutes. Wa-La, drunken hot pocket!

PROTIP: Flour tortillas and pita bread also work in them.

Why go camping if you're just going to spend most of your time trying to make fancy food?
OP said he would be fishing, if he can clean fish theres your fresh protein.
If he isn't an alcoholic and can lay off the booze until sundown he can bring a .22 and kill some rabbits and squirrels if he doesn't want to eat fish the whole time.

I can see eating rabbit, but squirrel? COME ON.

Squirrel, or tree chicken, is delicious.

I take it you've never eaten squirrel?
It's great. Skewer it and roast it, or if you want to be more creative, squirrel stew is delicious. Bonus: You can invade his home and take the nuts he's been hoarding.

Baked Potatoes,

Wrap potatoes in foil and stick them in the hot part of the fire for a bit.

Last time camping I did that, and sauteed mushrooms in a little foil bowel I made.
put them in the potatoes and topped with canned cheese, was pretty amazing.

Also did a bagged omlet. but you need a pot of boiling water for that. I didn't have any frying pans but I had a sauce pan.
boiled water, mixed a couple eggs in a 1 gallon bag, added cheese, ham, mushrooms, and a few other things I wanted in the omlet. then put the bag in the boiling water.

It really depends on OP's skill and overall motive. If he's someone who has hunted, and can field dress a kill; by all means, go full /k/ innawoods and eat off the land! If he's got meager skills, or is there to basically get away and be hammered all weekend, no sense involving catching your daily meals.

Since OP already mentioned it. Iron skillet, fishing, and a box of Shore Lunch.

OP here. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'm not going to be killing my food on this trip. So that's out of the question. Also, I will be drinking as much, if not more than my camping comrades. So easy shit is much appreciated. I'm leaning towards stew for one meal for sure

I recommend making breakfast burritos beforehand and wrapping them in foil for easy reheating. They keep well in a cooler for a few days.

bring bourbon, and some carrots. either blanch them off or something, or cut them real thin and make some bourbon glazed carrots with brown sugar also try to cook over pine, bring an axe or splitting maul and chop up some pine, makes everything delicious

I'd like to meet you, you're literally in my head w the shak for brekkie. Large portobellos in some soy sauce and a touch of fish sauce is aces OP, (keep in a zip lock bag, or container) treat like burgers & make sandies. If you'll be fishing, and at a beach, a shore lunch hobo packet of onion and tomato & some herbs (herbes provance/fines) is nice; like user above said, hobo packets are nice: get some skirt or blade steak, dice it up w some onions, Yukon gold taters, carrots, herbes de Provence, s&p, great for dinner, even best yet on a beach w the waves rolling in. Hummus & pita makes a good snack (can combine w shak), plan your meals so that you can use/reuse multiple ingredients. You're car camping, which gives you a lot of latitude. Innawoods is a whole other kettle of fish, but the same principle applies. Have fun. Be safe m8.

People say you should bring a hard cheese for camping, but what do you define as hard cheese? Parmezan? That's more of a garnish than a meal.

>cook over pine
Not sure if troll

Do NOT cook over pine, or any other softwood

Cheddar, aged 5 yrs, commercial Vermont from the grocery if you're not trying to be fancy
>pine
Absolutely trolling. Or plain stupid.

>a big cooler and ice can stay cold for 3 days,
Well, he should get some dry ice, or have multiple coolers, and not open the ones for day 2, day 3, until needed. Can freeze blocks of ice that work around your food too.

BBQ Pit Boys sure make food I'd like to actually eat at a cookout. From stuffed onions to poppers to cast iron potatoes or "black iron" which looks like hassleback with lots of deliciousness.

Sandra Lee used to do some made ahead shish-ke-bobs marinated in the ziploc. No mess for real backcountry cooking lack of handwashing for raw meat prep. Foil packets work too for steaming sides nicely. Toss an ice cube into the foil before sealing up.

looked it up after your replies, yeah seems i'm stupid. nevermind OP, don't cook over pine. find oak, mesquite, hickory or something, i guess.

Eh, everybody's wrong on the net. No biggie. At least you learned NEVER COOK WITH PINE (embers are actually fine, but it burns quick, and the pitch will make everything taste like licking a butthole that's been in the sun all day and inadequately wiped).

Kebabs are a great idea, again: plan your meals. 3 days. Meat, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, eggs, pita, yogurt/sour cream, you've got loads of meal ideas from anons available.

We'd probably feast like kings! To be honest, even though I know that it's a breakfast dish, I've never managed to make it for breakfast at a camping trip because the people I'm with are usually far too hungry when they wake up to wait for a shakshuka to be cooked. We had it for dinner or lunch many times though. If the cook of the crew wakes up before everyone else (as if) or the crew is patient, it would be the perfect breakfast though. Since OP is car-camping the sky is the limit really, he can go to a grocery store and load up on veg and pass by a butcher provided he has a decent enough cooler and he'll be set.

Another great idea is grilled pork-loin steak sandwiches with melted cheese, everything including the bread grilled on the fire. Or pork-loin steaks with fried eggs and onions on top if you have a pan/skillet with you.

>fire
>the fish you catch

enjoy sitting on a campground faget say hi to the little kids

But why not include blocks of shortcrust pastry frozen in with the cooler and instead of the toasties make actual pies in the pie maker?

Squirrel is great roasted, shredded and eaten in Chinese pancakes like you would eat duck.

Tinned cheese is a thing?

Since you said you werefishing, remember that rivers and lakes are natures fridge.

Pastry or meat double bagged, tied to an anchor and put in the water will keep better than in any cooler. This goes for anything, including beer if you are drinking something that has to be drunk cold.

Care to share with a camping novice why you don't cook over pine? Is the smoke toxic or something?

do bears eat bear meat? would one enter your flap if you just brought bear based snacks?

Whenever I went camping we ate peppers split in half, some diced cooked bacon in the cavity, a touch of cream, a cracked egg and topped with a little cheese. Tinfoiled and placed near the fire until the egg is cooked. A little hot sauce before eating and it was a great breakfast.

The only problem is if you put it too close to the fire the pepper turns to carbon before the egg is cooked.

see

>Pastry or meat double bagged, tied to an anchor and put in the water will keep better than in any cooler.

Just stick the cooler (with the food inside) in the creek, the ice in the cooler will last much longer and there’s no chance of raccoons walking away with your food...

My friends and I have been camping for 30 years along a spring feed creek in Michigan’s upper Lower Peninsula and when my buddy stuck a meat thermometer in the creek, it was around 40* even in the middle of August when the air temps were in the upper-90s.

Good place to ask. Veeky Forums I bought marinade (soy sauce based--black garlic kalbi) and a pile of sale beef. Making jerky. How do I not fuck this up?

Read a recipe from an old as balls book that said 125 degrees F in the oven for like 12 hours.

from what i read all smoke is toxic, some more than others, but will never be enough to make anyone sick, even when smoking meats. soft woods just aren't recommended for the reasons that other guy posted, also i would imagine the greener the pine, the more sap and resin, which probably wouldn't be good for a campfire and may not burn well. just a guess though.

that's pretty much all you have to do. marinade the beef for up to a day, but also make sure the beef is getting alot of air inbetween, put it on a wire rack or something on a baking sheet, as the meat will drip. maybe line the baking sheet with foil for easier clean up.

also read somewhere that 1/4 thick pieces sliced against the grain is best.

Alright, thank you friend. Any idea how long it stays good for?

Assuming you did it right and you store it in such a way that it doesn't get moist or moldy, it will keep for years. That's the point, really--it was method of preserving food from the days before refrigerators.

>from what i read all smoke is toxic

It's not so much the smoke, it's the resin. Pine trees are literally what is used to make pitch and tar. That stuff tastes horrible and will get all over your food.

Generally speaking, you use hardwood for cooking. Softwood is generally a no-no. That's not because it will harm you in a medical sense, it's because it makes the food taste like shit.