Who homebrew in here?

Who homebrew in here?

I'm very interested in trying it out and am looking for some advice on where to start and what supplies to get.

Any other tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-d/what-to-look-for-in-a-cooler
youtube.com/channel/UCb5IBwS_Df_KZqHzy0U98vQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nah I gave up pretending I was better than professionals when I hit 0 years old

I've just started my first batch of mead a couple of days ago, it began to ferment yesterday.

The only advice I have is start small, as per , it's all very well wanting gallons of homebrew but only if it's drinkable. The easiest way I learnt was by talking to the woman in my local homebrew shop, scouring the internet was a conflicting pain the arse.

> what I think of home brewing. Yeah that's great, but drink your own mistakes. No offense.

Fucking spot on lad

I do. Both ciders and beers. Have built a "beer cooler" howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-d/what-to-look-for-in-a-cooler for grain brewing (as opposed to a kit) Sanitation is a must, starsan is your friend. It's a fun hobby you can do with your m8s. Takes damn near all day, which is an excuse to drink. Prefer to make cider tho, ezpz, garbage in garbage out is the rule of thumb.

Didn't really answer your question, check the website above, all you really been for your first brew is a fermentation bucket, a bottling bucket, a load of clean bottles (dishwasher), beer "kit." You can buy a complete brew kit for

>making cider for the first time
>"It'll start bubbling in a few days"
>"It'll be very slow in two weeks or so"
>Week and a half in, never saw bubbles being beyond very slow
The room's 75F, so I could have missed it somehow. Do I rack it now? cold crash first? wait more? ?
I put in like three pounds of honey, so it'll probably be cyser. If it matters.

get a hydrometer. It will help give you an indication of how the ferment is going.

Been brewing beer for 5 years. If you want to start beer making, go to a homebrew store and get equipment for a "partial mash" setup. I started with a 5 gallon partial mash system.

If your going the cheap route, you can get small systems (~1 gallon). Personally, I dont like this route since its basically the same amount of work for less product. But if you dont have a dedicated space for brewing (i.e. if you live in an apartment) you might be forced to do this.

I've been homebrewing for a year and a half. I'm looking to switch to all-grain soon.

For entry level stuff OP you need the following:

>5 gallon boiling pot
>6.5 gallon bucket
>6.5 gallon bottling bucket
>Glass carboy (not entirely necessary)
>grains
>malt extract (recommended for beginner)
>hops
>water
>sanitizer
>sanitizer
>sanitizer

That'll run you probably 150 USD

>forgetting yeast

>get a hydrometer
I have one, and just tried to use it. the carboy isn't full enough for it to read.

Although I will say, I tasted it and there's definitely alcohol in there.

I like the videos of this homebrew albino

youtube.com/channel/UCb5IBwS_Df_KZqHzy0U98vQ

I use it to install ffmpeg

I dabble a little. I like to buy quick mead kits from Ambrosia Farms. All you need I a gallon of water, some honey and the kit (herbs and yeast). In a few weeks you have pretty good mead. I think it's a good way to start because the initial investment is very little (10$ for the kit, 1$ per gal water, and honey). You don't need any equipment either because it's fermented in the water jug.

Do what everyone else does and buy a kit.
That'd be:
Beer kit (hopped malted barley syrup and yeast)
Fermenting vessel
Beer keg

If you like gadgets and are technically minded, look into partial mash and all grain. Or just keep trying different kits.

Whenever I hear "mead" I always think of guys like pic related

Well, you're very far off. I'm actually a farmer chick. I like quick mead because I can make batches for parties and get together a with just a few weeks notice.
It's also cheap, easy, and tasty.

Every time I tried to make mead it turned out like acrid piss. I'm just making Limoncello instead this year (yeah it's not the same as homebrew) but turns out well

>Every time I tried to make mead it turned out like acrid piss

I've never made mead personally, but I have a few homebrew buddies who do. They all give the same advice: patience. It always tastes awful the moment it's done. The key is you stick it somewhere and let it age. For years. Before you even think about tasting it. The advice they always give is that if you aren't willing to let it sit for at least three years, don't even bother to start.

There are different kinds of mead that require different ammounts of aging.
Which is why I like quick mead. Good alcohol in just a few weeks.

Homebrewtalk.

>There are different kinds of mead that require different ammounts of aging.

I'm sure there are. Just like I said, I've never made mead before so clearly I don't know what I'm talking about. But the advice of "make sure you age it a long time" seems very commonly repeated so I figure it might have been the problem that had.

Out of curiosity, what are the fundamental differences between a "quick mead" versus traditional? What exactly is the difference which makes it not need to be aged so long?

It's the yeast. It turns the honey into alcohol faster, and it settles out quickly. The reason you have to repeatedly rack regular mead is to get rid of settling yeast.

I did that. I bottled my first beer (23 litres) a week ago. I know it won't be great, because it's made from ready syrup, but if it will be SLIGHTLY better than piss-beer from big companies, I'll be satisfied. Besides, I do it as a hobby.

Sheeeeeiiiiit you're right...

>yeast

>bottled my first beer
Bet that was fun
Have you already bought a keg or are you still looking?

Now maybe I'm just being a retard here, so bear with me:

If the problem is the yeast, couldn't that be removed instantly using a filter?

No.
It forms a thick dense compacted yeast bed at the bottom.
The problem is that the yeast eventually dies which will ruin the mead.
So you "rack" it into a new fermenting vessel.
I've never brewed mead, but I hear it can take several months to fully ferment.

Not yet, I'm only beginning my journey.

I love watching videos of infected homebrew asplosions

Maybe my question wasn't clear.

Instead of removing the yeast from the mead via racking, why not remove it using a filter instead? Surely that would get the dead yeast out of the mead much faster than waiting for it to settle on its own via gravity?

No.
You "rack" the mead into a different fermenting vessel.

My brothers and I do beer and ciders. We usually get a kit from a brew store for the winter holidays and share it together. Recently we bought kegs to carbonate the beer instead of bottles and it was great this winter. Just go out to the garage and you've got your own beer on tap. We did a nut brown ale, belgium dubble, and a cider.

Sounds comfy as fuck mate.

yeah always using a secondary to separate the yeast product that forms a sediment on the bottom of the bucket. Always check your specific gravity when racking to record progress as well.

Yes, I understand that racking is the traditional method. I know what racking is.

I want an explanation as to why a filter wouldn't work better.

I understand that a filter may not work for some reason, but I can't think of one. Therefore I want someone with expertise to explain why filters don't work but racking does.

Do you understand the details of this or are you just parroting the word "racking" because that's what you were taught?

Because its a shit idea.

You'd either have to have a massive filter, or keep stop-starting the mead flow somehow, probably stirring up all kinds of shit.
The filter would either clog in seconds, or be so course it wouldn't stop anything you'd want to filter out.

Those problems are all easily solved. I wasn't talking about trying to pour it into a coffee filter like some retard.

Sounds like it would work just fine, assuming one has the proper equipment.

>You'd either have to have a massive filter
that's not a problem

>or keep stop-starting the mead flow somehow, probably stirring up all kinds of shit.
Also not a problem, not to mention that stirring up shit is irrelevant because the filter would take it out.

>>The filter would either clog in second
For just gravity flow? Of course. But that's what a pump is for.

Sounds like a filter works just fine, you were just assuming I didn't have access to or know anything about proper lab grade filters.

>you were just assuming I didn't have access to or know anything about proper lab grade filters.
Not fucking homebrew then is it cunt

Why not? I asked a question about filtration in general. Nowhere did I specify what equipment I had, I simply asked about a concept, not a specific implementation of it. That's your fault for assuming I was some 'tard standing around with a sieve in my hand.

And what I'm describing isn't difficult or expensive at all. A homebrew person could easily do this using a buchner funnel, a glass carboy, and one of those cheap-ass vacuum pumps you attach to a kitchen faucet. It's cheap and easily accessible.

I think you should burn him.