Home canning

Who else is busy canning this summer?
What did you put up?
Anyone entering their hard in the county fair?

Other urls found in this thread:

sbcanning.com/search/label/concentrates?m=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*entering there jars

yea those are good

The amount of cans here is uncanny

I'm going to be canning for the first time this year. As I'm going to have more tomatoes then anyone can reasonably eat. Anyone know of an economical source for jars? Any preference on how to preserve them?

I'm also going to have plenty of basil,eggplant, onion, squash, zucchini, random assortment of peppers.... I ordered to much soil and went overboard. And now I have to pick up a bunch of skills fast.

There are many different things you can do with tomatoes. I perfer salsa because I eat a lot of it. You can also make pasta sauce pretty easily, you can find packaged mixes in your local grocery (with the canning jars, usually in the baking aile) that you just add tomatoes to.

I would make something you know you will eat.

I don't have a garden currently (just moved) so I don't have a surplus harvest to put up.

That said, I have been hitting the local markets and buying some produce. I've got dill & garlic pickles going, two different fermented hot sauces, mousemelons, and preserves made from cherries, raspberries, and strawberries.

I don't have a garden either, and our farmers market is shit. I use mostly grocery store fruit that is on sale and foraged fruit. Thankfully, there is a lot to forage where I live.

I recently made and canned several batches of drink concentrates.

- Strawberry lemonade
- Cherry limeade
- Peach Rosemary
- Blueberry lemonade
- Tropical mix (pineapple, coconut, lime)
- Blackberry limeade

Having shelf stable mixers is really nice.

I got a steam juicer over the winter and I'm really looking forward to using it. Every year there is an abundance of large crabapples in my town. I've run out of ways to put them up, so I'm going to juice the majority of them. I can process the juice and deal with it later. I think I'm going to make alcohol with it.

>Who else is busy canning this summer?
Got some raspberry bushes that are good producers. They'll make a god-tier preserve, but I'm just freezing the berries as I pick them for now.
Later in the year, I'll have a crop of quinces. Total top tier jelly from them (and one which is expensive as hell to buy).
But no apples. Had the tree hard-pruned last year (it'd got out of control) so this one will be fallow.

cool idea

any links?

i'm doing a buttload of tomatoes, i ran out of last years early so i think i'm going to do 100 pounds this time

sbcanning.com/search/label/concentrates?m=0

Make sure you don't get the concentrate above 190! It will cause the product to separate and look foamy in the jar.
If ot bubbles it's too hot!

OP, I do pickles, hot sauce, beans, and beets. I also freeze tomato sauce, but plan on canning some this year.
user, try making some membrillo.

I picked right cups of serviceberries today. They are in my steam juicer right now. I'm hoping to get 6-8 cups of juice. I'm going to make it into pancake syrup.

*picked eight cups

Bump

not canning, but I am fermenting my saurkraut. ^.^

Na im entering my soft in the county fair

Not canned, but refrigerator pickles here. Spicy pickled eggs with jalapeƱos, habanero, bell pepper, and onion

I love to cane chicks in my house.

Hopefully gonna get around to some bread and butters with the girl this year.