What's the best cheese to use as the main cheese on a homemade pizza? I've always used mild cheddar...

what's the best cheese to use as the main cheese on a homemade pizza? I've always used mild cheddar, wondering if there's anything different you guys use.

Goat

Mix of random cheese and mozzarella. It makes a huge difference.

would I still use mozzerella on top of that, I typically slice some from a ball and lay it on.

I personally put the mozzarella bits on first and then the regular cheese over it.

Same here, you can use parmesan as the cheese to put over it

Or you can shredd the mozzarella, use it as base with the tomato sauce, put the pizza in the oven, halfway through put halved cherry tomatoes on top and cook till done, take out, put rucola on top with big parmesan flakes. Thats a god-tier pizza

What is "regular cheese"?

Kraft Singles

Kek'd

Still thinking that some amerifats are probably doing shit like this, just smothering a frozen pizza with extra kraft cheese slices and then putting bacon or something on top, then drizzle some bbq sauce for finish

I just use mozzarella desu

>main cheese on a homemade pizza
Whole milk Mozzarella, fresh 1lb package, grate it yourself!
Parmesan, grate it yourself!
if you still feel like it is missing something you can also add smoked provolone (doesn't really taste smoky, just a bit more aged and semihard).
If you want more flavor add in some real pecorino romano which is sheeps milk parm, basically. It adds a little funk and depth of flavor. Or try some of the softer versions of asiago.
Adding dairy richness, I like to drop a few clumps of ricotta on my pizza, makes me feel like I am getting pizza and calzone in the same meal, didn't have to make up my mind.
Sometimes your cheese is just fine, but needed some browning for full flavor. Or you need something leaking flavor, like greasy pepperoni, salami, sausage, somethign that is rendering some extra fat when you cook it. Believe it or not, an overseasoned or too much tomato sauce overpowers good cheese flavor. Go for a fresher sauce and less of it.

I don't put cheddar on pizza, though I might if it were mexican or something themed like that.

I'm just amazed that there are evidently places in this country where "regular" is a type of cheese. Can you imagine?!
"What kind of cheese do you want?"
"Oh, I'll take regular."
On a fucking pizza, no less.

I've never met anyone who's done that but it most likely happens yuropoor.

cool, thanks for the advice. I generally use cheddar because it's just what I grew up using.

I think you replied to the wrong post

Just the basic cheap stuff I get in my local store. Not the cheapest, it still has to be actual cheese y'know, but you get the point.

I use frozen pizzas as a base and put stuff on them. Not American.

Buffalo mozzarella. Milky and fantastically stretchy.

Edam, gouda, stuff like that. I never care about the difference between the cheap sandwich brands, because you don't get much taste from them no matter what. I put it on to mix with the mozzarella which is actually giving taste to the cheese layer. And it also helps it be less stretchy when it's mixed, pure mozzarella is really too much for me.

Just make some dough, the base is always the worst part of frozen pizzas

no

I used to buy these frozen bases that already had some tomato, cheese and spices on them.

But the cheese were these little globs that melted completely, they would go liquid and mix with the tomato juice to form a gravy almost.

Any idea what that is?

So "regular" cheese is cheese that's so cheap it has no particular flavor, regardless of the name on the package? Why would you eat that?

Because it's bland. I don't want a strong taste to overwhelm the mozzarella. What else am I supposed to mix it with?

dont use mozzerella golf balls 2k16

Almost all the pizza I've had used mozzarella as the cheese. Aside from a quattro fromaggi I was not aware cheese other than mozzarella was common on pizza.

And again, why buy cheap, bland cheese? Doesn't seem like it would be any pleasure to eat.

I like to cover the entire pizza with cheese, but if I try that with mozzarella it runs off because it melts too much. I don't like having exposed pieces of sausage, it gets burned a bit. The cheese also stretches too much when you eat it if it's pure mozzarella.

Think of it as the same as watering down a juice that's too sweet or something.

Ricotta cheese!

Got it. The point is buy tasteless cheap cheese so you can eat more of it. Don't think I'll be doing that.

No, the point is to not let the other ingredients remain uncovered.

I'd rather eat a small pizza my way than a large one your way.

>try making home-made pizza
>absolutely rape the dough and tear it to an unusable level

My way would be with slices of fresh mozzarella cooked for about 90 seconds in a 700 degree oven. You would not like it, because there is lots of exposed sauce.

Generally use this, it has the perfect melt for pizza. (not too moist, can handle high temp without burning)
My favorite is to top it with a bit of goat cheese, sauteed leek, and prosciutto.

That's a different way to avoid the excessive runiness of only mozzarella I guess.

That's the traditional way.

>pizza
>traditional
There's a reason the one food you should never have when you go to Italy is pizza, user.

I've had pizza in Italy. Neapolitan style is way better than Roman, but both are better than most American pizza. Although some brick oven places here do a great job. But most American pizza is made from garbage tier ingredients.

I've never been outside of Europe so I couldn't really tell you anything about that. I've just been to Italy about five times or so and every time the most disappointing thing is the pizza.

I've been lucky. Every time I've been to Italy I've been the guest of people who knew the local food scene well. I've heard many of the tourist restaurants are terrible, but I've never been allowed to eat at them. I had to go to this place, order this thing, then go to that place and order that thing... My hosts had it all worked out for me.

Yeah, okay, but the thing is that nothing else was particularly terrible. Just the pizza.

If you've never been outside of Europe you have no idea how bad pizza can get. If you ever make it to Iowa you'll know what I mean. That's the worst pizza I've ever had.

Nah, I'm confident that the cheap frozen pizza that tastes like an overcooked beef stew is bad enough.

/thread

This

Mozarella is the key