Skewers

What to put on them

How to marinade it

Which kind of fire to use

Anybody got any experience, links, or ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WDI5Y55nDZY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well you can find any number of recipes outside of Veeky Forums.
What I will tell you is to spend some time looking for flat skewers. Don't just buy some wire with a ring bent into one end. Find some legit steel ones at least a 1/4" wide and much thinner the other direction. This will keep your shit from spinning and less likely to rip off if it is stuck to the grill

Or just use two skewers per.

Best things to skewer are shrimp, bell peppers and halloumi hands down

Like the adana skewers in my OP pic?

That's mine, not google's.

This one is google's.

The wide skewers are good for soft meats like ground beef. They are hard to get into tougher muscle. So I got both.

One thing I quickly learned was that store-bought skewers are trash. Even if the ingredients and flavors are good, the setup is all wrong. Why have alternating items on one skewer? Unless you are intentionally trying to get onion or other flavors cooked into your meat, skewers should be homogenous. Meats, onions, mushrooms, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers all take different times to cook and so you should be able to start and stop them at different times.

Doesn't the cheese melt off?
Do you put it inside the peppers?

halloumi doesnt melt

True.

I DO want my meat to taste like baked onion, and my onion to taste like meat. Isn't that the whole point?

You can regulate heat a little by packing faster things tighter.

But most importantly: composing individual skewers is a big part of the experience. It probably doesn't help the cooking side of things, but it is fun and invites participation. Kids like barbecued sausages. They go nuts for barbecued self made skewers.

For halloumi are you grilling it or cooking it over coals? Suspended over coals I see why skewers are needed. But I found grilling it is delicious too, flipping it requires patience, sweet talking, and the occasional tirade of curses. I never really use charcoal since gas is much easier and I spent $400 on a legit Weber grill

To each their own. I think having a pile of well cooked items and everyone grabs/passes whatever they want to eat. But something can be said of this is MY skewer, especially children who wont appreciate a tender piece of pork over a deflated cherry tomato.

And honestly do the two items exchange flavors that quickly? I find whatever marinade they were in/brushed on is more important than the subtleties.

Especially pork really picks up flavors in the heat, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Wrap a strip of bacon around your zucchini and judge for yourself.

Oil your skewers!

i prefer the kurdish/middle eastern way of grilling skewered stuff:
~20 cm above open charcoal

You use wide skewers for this, oil them lightly, skewer marinated chicken/lamb/liver/ground lamb with spices or whatever you feel like.

Yakitori is also great and uses thinner skewers, you can also use skewers to spatchcock chicken, which is my favorite way to grill it. (piripiri chicken, thai grilled chicken...im sure youll find recipes)

I agree!

10/10 favorite skewer food is Cambodian beef on a stick. Google tells me it's called Sach Ko Jakak. This video looks real legit: youtu.be/WDI5Y55nDZY

Looks tasty!

But I have to say...
Oyster sauce + herbs isn't a secret. Put that stuff on any meat and it tastes wonderful. Then there's all that honey. And add a little sugar for good measure. All that sugar will char on the grill if you're not really careful. Then the barbecue is a mess, with hardly any coals for uneven heat. And I hate the guy. His dynamic with his mother, his narration, his camera perspective, his begging for approval... It's too much.

I will make oyster sauce skewer though.

Chicken strips marinaded in buttermilk, chili, and garlic. Glazed with honey and sprinkled with sesame seeds on the second turn.

Oh dude don't use honey otr sugary barbecue sauce on your grate unless you can burn it off for an additional hour.
One of my grills got maggoted by kraft BBQ sauce, the smell was fucked and the grate was ruined. Be careful with sweet shit and keep your grate clean.