Petition for a unique board for people that actually cook

I have been thinking that there should be a unique board for cooking only.
The post of people that actually is interested in cooking are always left behind for threads about pizza, hot dogs, sodas, etc., and thats a shame.
When people come here to talk about how to cook, some technique, etc., the replys are low and there is almost no interest and those treads are always deleted soon because of the continous shitpost.
Is there any way to create a unique board for cooking?

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

lgbtchat.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Veeky Forums just needs stricter moderation, that's all.

is Veeky Forums a sandwich board?

If you want a serious cooking discussion then find a different board entirely. Why re-invent the wheel? Especially because you know the new board would be shat up and filled with trolls just like the rest of Veeky Forums is.

/reddit/

I cook every fucking day, but have no problem arguing about pizza and hot dogs here.

The board is slow enough that even all the junk and meme food isn't exactly knocking good threads of the backpage.

If you don't know how to filter bad threads while browsing, that's your issue.

If you want to have some kind of 'haute cuisine' discussion, it's possible here. But if you really insist, is the go-to 'high culture' board and I think the janitors would make temporary allowances like that.

make one

Your sarcasm amuses me.

I was thinking about that too.
Yesterday a guy post that a pan feel in his feet or something like that. So if instead of a pan, a weight were the thing that hit him it was supposed to be in Veeky Forums? thats a thread for /b/.

It's not reinventing the wheel, it's just separete two kind of topics. Even if it sounds that food & cooking seems to go well together it's not.

You could keep cooking and visit the board to discuss about hot dogs.

Yes, it's slow. But being fast does it make it better? the quality of this board if really low. There is almost not OC. People in /mu/ listen music, share records, share their songs, even with the continous shitpost; people in Veeky Forums workout, share exersice rutines, etc. And what about Veeky Forums? nothing, is people that eat pizza everyday and post the same pizza everyday.

I wouldnt care if the board is even slower than now if it raises the amount of people that actually talk about cooking. I have posted some OC sometimes and there is cool people to talk about here. It's just to separate people that want to talk about something in particular.

I can't tell if you posted that hypocritically or ironically

>it's just separete two kind of topics

My point was that there already exist discussion boards for "serious cooking" outside of Veeky Forums. Why does Veeky Forums need one too?

>the quality of this board if really low. There is almost not OC

Interesting point, especially compared to other boards. I think it's because it's relatively effortless to share something elsewhere: just cut-and-paste a link. OTOH, it's actually a bit of effort to post OC here. I've done it a few times, and it's a fuck of a lot more work than just posting a link to a song or something.

Specifically:
-it's a hassle to wash hands, grab camera, take photo, wash hands again.

Then there's the matter of resizing the pictures, cropping, and then posting. Posting is a bother because of the delay timer between posts.

>There is almost not OC

That's because when there is an OC thread, it either gets ignored or the replies are just shitposting. Most OC threads barely last half a day at most. So, there's not a lot of motivation for people to post OC. Real OC threads here take a lot of time, since people have to document their entire cooking process, so when they get completely blown off, it's not much of a incentive to make them.

why do you need to wash your hands to handle a camera??

this is true and its also because most posters react incredibly antagonistically to OC for what reason
i mean mostly it seems its because amerifats who cant cook or dont appreciate food, but..

Why would you smear food over your camera? Why would you touch food after touching the camera?

Hygiene, user.

Then there's the fact that some of us simply aren't photographers. I'm happy to offer commentary, tips and recipes, but I'm not going to post OC images because I do not take pictures of anything. It's jujst not something I do.

>Veeky Forums doesn't actually cook
Are people blind, or do you miss those threads all the time? Sure people will talk about fast food and pre-fabricated items, mostly because there's much more to talk about some item that you can actually eat and have an opinion about, rather than an image of some dish you made which we can't readily judge. With that said, there's ample cooking discussions here every day.

And thats exactly my point, user. Most OC threads are ignored because of the continous shitpost.
So it wouldn't be better if there are less threads but better quality?
And yes, it's really annoying to post oc while you cook, but the times that I've done it it was fun.
I was even thinking about some event that could be done every week or every two weeks in wich we choose a recipe and show the result of everyone. I made a tread about it and there were only one answer insulting the photo that I uploaded.

I don't know any other board, i've seen the 420 board and it's almost the same, can you show me one?

NO NO NO
WHY AM I TOUCHING FOOD
WHY WOULD THERE BE FOOD ON MY HANDS
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

There is one thread about cooking for 20 threads about shit food

>dinner thread get two post per day
I used to think the fast food threads were just shilling but now I'm starting to wonder if the people here are actually eating that garbage.

Right now, there are only six threads that are overtly about cooking. Eight. Out of one-hundred fifty threads. Eight. That's 5⅓%. Only 5⅓% of threads on the cooking board right now are about cooking. Let that sink in a minute.

>why do you need to wash your hands to handle a camera??

Cross contamination. Cell phones are dirty as fuck. I don't want to touch that then touch the food I'm preparing.

>WHY AM I TOUCHING FOOD
Because you're cooking. Food gets on your hands while you prepare ingredients.

Daily reminder that if your diet consists of something other than microwave tater tots, tendies, ranch, sriracha, and loads of Craft Beer™ {it's 2016 we have the Craft Beer™ now at least we're not the south}, you're pretentious and probably just lying on a burmese telepathy forum in order to seem sophisticated

Sorry, there were six when I counted, then I refreshed and there were two new ones, so I updated the post, but forgot the first sentence. Still eight right now, though.

No, it needs consistent moderation based on actual rules and not some vegan slit or disgusting shitskin getting mad at people talking like they're on Veeky Forums.

Are threads discussing ingredients and dishes overtly about cooking?

forgive my autism but remember that when you're dealing with percentages you're working with a denomination of 100 and should use decimals instead of fractions.

>5⅓%
>5.33%

carry on.

yeah this is true, to the extent of chopping ingredients like garlic or onion or those rare times you have to mix ingredients with your hands
after which you immediately wash your hands
and then theres no problem???

Yes. I included those. Also the one about canning. To be plain, I may have missed one or two threads about cooking that were less obvious about it than the eight I noticed, but I've actually been tallying this up every now and again over the course of the last few months and rarely see the number of threads about cooking go into the double digits. The highest number of threads in the catalog that were actually about cooking I've ever counted at one time was eighteen. That's only 12% of all threads. On the cooking board. About cooking.
See how fucked up that is?

I wanted to put 5,33 with a bar over the 33 bit of it, but couldn't.

Huh?

And how many of them are yours? Do you think people have any confusion about where their " look guyz i'm cooking haha"threads should be made? Splitting the board traffic for the sake of adding another super specific retard board is something that's been getting suggested and shot down since forever. Fuck off.

>with a bar over the 33 bit of it, but couldn't.
lol. i was looking for a way to put a dot above the last 3 (recurring in my form of metric) but also couldn't on this pc.

again, sorry for my autism.

Please go to >>>/ff/ Fat Fucks - Takeout and Hot Pockets.
You'll be happier there.

go to a cooking message board/forum, not Veeky Forums.

Ok so I took a look at the first 30 threads and found 7 that were overtly about cooking, 5 that I was unsure about or about some field related to cooking (i.e canning and beehiving). Even the ones that are left out can be about cooking because it often involves opinion on food items in general, which rarely can be discussed without cooking aspect.

>inb4 "the threads you marked are shit"

Your idea is nothing new, and is only slightly less retarded now than it was years ago because the boards are faster now. But since you did me the favor of pointing out that on the board right now there are only 8 threads which would fall under your new retard board's specific topic, your idea is still just as fucking retarded as it has ever been. Now either fuck off and make your own cooking thread, or fuck off entirely since apparently the odds are that nobody gives a shit what you'd be cooking.

Go to a ionlyeatburguersandhotdogs forum, not to a board about cooking

haha good one

>and then theres no problem???
Well, if I'm taking photos of every step there's an awful lot of handwashing. I don't make simple meals, user. I do everything from scratch. There's a lot of touching raw ingredients.

I'd be happy just to see the final plated product

>I don't know any other board, i've seen the 420 board and it's almost the same, can you show me one?

Sure. Here are several good cooking forums:
cheftalk
chefsteps
eGullet

eGullet has been dead for years. It was dead before jabba the hut keeled over from a massive heart attack. The community blew its load when NathanM published his coffee table book and it's been like 1 post a month ever since

Why? the point of a board is to discuss the cooking process. If you just want to see pictures of plated dishes then go to Google and use the image search.

>board for cooking
thats this board you fucking idiot. shitposting will follow anywhere. the board is slow enough, just get over it. do what normal people do and ignore shitposting. its not even that bad here

If I go to google and use the image search will I see what that other guy just made?

My point was that if it is too much trouble to take photos at every stage of the cooking process (and completely understand that it would be), then I'd settle for just a pic of the plated meal and I can ask questions about the process and ingredients if I wanted to.

Why are you trying to discourage people posting cooking on the cooking board? You fat fast food addict or something?

Meat is the nastiest by far, and you often have to touch it, especially when you're slicing it.

But that's not all, and while meat is nastiest there's also other things that are even messier, like dough where the flour is still wet enough to stick for example. Add eggs to that dough and you're back at nasty.

The one about honey is not about cooking.
The one about post ur fukken dinner is not about cooking.
The one about chicken smelling like farts is not about cooking.
The one about Japanese curry is not about cooking (not sure if you marked this one along with the one about seasoning veg, which is indeed about cooking).
So less those: that's seven of the original ten (or eleven if you meant to mark the Japanese curry one) of thirty are about cooking. That's 23,33%. And four of those were included in my eight when I gave that number.

>the cooking board is not about cooking and fuck you if you want to talk about cooking on the board that's meant for cooking but is not about cooking because it's not
Okay.

I've done a number of cook-alongs in the past. A few were quite well received. I used plastic baggies to handle ingredients and bare hands to handle the camera.
Try that?

The final result is not a very meaningful picture. You can't tell the taste, the smell, or the process. It's just a stock photo wannabe. Meanwhile all of that is a lot easier to imagine when you see the ingredients and how they were put together.

No fuck off. It's called food and cooking. That means threads can be about anything pertaining to food. Whether it is fast food, junk food, go za, hot dogs or whatever, it is still food. There are threads about cooking food, and threads about eating food. If you don't like it, go somewhere else instead of asking for a containment board that would be slower than /po/

>all or nothing

> That's 23,33%
So it's a bit over 5.33% anyway?

hmm yeah...
you know the last time i handled meat for cooking must have been months ago.
and im not a vegetarian or anything.

its the idea that your hands would be dirty w whatever so you couldnt use a camera thats triggering me
clean your fucking hands if theyre dirty, in which case there was never a problem

if he cant be bothered to clean his hands for a camera, does that mean hes not bothing to clean his hands between different stages of cooking?_ -10/10

hey hey heres an idea

just make a fucking video then

Of the first 30. That's only 20% of all threads. If the other four I noticed are the only threads in the remaining 80% of threads that are about cooking, that's only an increase of 2% on my previous figure.

Yes, that's the point. Talking about food its not the same that actually cook. So why should it be together?
There are boards that have been created to separate content from /b/....... from /b/.... come on....

When I'm trying to get just the right angle for a selfie, I take a video instead, then just screenshot relevant frames. You could do the same for cooking, I guess.

>If I go to google and use the image search will I see what that other guy just made?

I fail to see why that matters. If I post here it's anonymous. You have no idea who I am. How is that any different from finding a picture on google? Why would it matter if it was made today or made a year ago if all you're doing is looking at the picture?

>>Why are you trying to discourage people posting cooking on the cooking board?

I wasn't. I just didn't see the point in posting only one photo of a finished dish when google does that job so much better that this board does. I'm advocating posting pics of the whole process. IMHO, posting just a finished photo is pointless--there's a bazillion better photos of finshed dishes to be had online.

>> I can ask questions about the process and ingredients if I wanted to.
Now that is the important detail I was missing. I completely understand your point now. That wasn't apparent earlier.

Yeah, that's my point. Why even start if you're not going to do it properly.

It's like you are incapable of reading or understanding simple concepts.

The hands GET dirty when you touch the food. So you clean them, and take a photo. Then they are dirty again from touching the camera. So you clean them again. Now you're back to cooking.

You have to repeat this at least six times to make a meaningful step by step photo shoot of the cooking, and that is if you're cooking something simple.

>>the cooking board is not about cooking and fuck you if you want to talk about cooking on the board that's meant for cooking but is not about cooking because it's not
Stop pretending to be a retard with literally 0 reading comprehension so that you may side-step the explanation as to why your idea fucking blows without having to address it. Seriously pathetic, just fuck off already god damn.

The probability that you find the first 7 out of 11 in a random sample of 30 out of 150 is extremely low.

It's not random at all. It's the top thirty currently most active threads. So the probability that threads that are being updated because they're about cooking are going to be at the top of the catalog rather than elsewhere is pretty high, actually.

>if he cant be bothered to clean his hands for a camera, does that mean hes not bothing to clean his hands between different stages of cooking?

Not even close to the same thing. If I'm taking photos I have to wash up before and after touching the camera/phone. If I'm not taking photos then I only have to wash up whenever I switch between raw and cooked ingredients (and vice-versa).

you are making a generalization based in what you are see now. It could be different in an hour.

>So the probability that threads that are being updated because they're about cooking are going to be at the top of the catalog rather than elsewhere is pretty high, actually.
Which only means that cooking threads are discussed more than non-cooking threads, which is the opposite that you were complaining about anyway?

And that still won't put much a dent in the percentage of threads that are about cooking. It'll still be less than 15%.

Both of those statements are false.

The factors determining what is at the top of the catalog are:
1) number of posts.
2) time the posts were made

Neither of those have anything to to do with the content of the posts. Many threads get massive numbers of posts because it's a trollfest. Other times the discussion night be totally off topic. We have many posts in this very thread that have nothing to do with cooking, but instead are about the hassles of posting detailed OC and the nature of different kinds of threads on the board. This thread has a fairly high post count and has been near the top of the board for a while now, but it isn't about cooking.

Exactly.

OP has obviously been stupidly digging himself into a ditch with this dumb counting catalog shit

[beekeeping not related to cooking? what the fuck?>]

But their point still remains, stop attacking their offrail crap.

This board has very little actual cooking and when it does occur its yelled at mostly, which is exactly why we have megathread for `post your dinner/lunch` [which i would point out still had people posting fucking fast food in it]

>1) number of posts.
>2) time the posts were made

Actually it's only 2, ignoring sage. And in terms of probability that any one thread is high up, then this is directly proportional to rate of posts the thread gets.

>Neither of those have anything to to do with the content of the posts.
Unless we have reason to assume cooking threads gets proportionally more shitposting compared to non-cooking threads, then it is logical to assume that the rate of content (that is posts that are not shitposting) is proportional, to the same degree between cooking and non cooking threads, to the number of posts being made. So the fact that those threads (if we accept your assumption that cooking threads are overrepresented around the top) get more posts should mean they get relatively more content than non cooking threads. Again, if we assume there is not proportionally more shitposting in cooking threads, by why would it be anyway?

why not just go to an actual cooking forum?
For most people on Veeky Forums, ramen, soda and hot dogs is cooking.
It's about as pointless as going on /tv/ and complaining about all the popcorn flicks, women worship and memes.

do you have any recommendations then smart guy

Several were posted earlier in the thread. There's also this thing called "Google" which can be used to find any kind of forum you might want.

>[beekeeping not related to cooking? what the fuck?>]

Related? Of course.
Literally about cooking specifically? Clearly not.

>Getting banned for being racist

you deserved it

So? If you can't deal with high SNR get off open forums, go to some heavily moderated walled garden where if you're not tight with the mods you can't make a simple joke without getting shit on.

I'd rather deal with the noise.

t. tumblreddit

clearly youre an idiot

This. I have many friends in the restaurant/nightlife business, and have worked in the wine business. Believe it or not it made me sheltered as hell. For me this place is a total education. Before I came here I had no idea people actually put ranch dressing on pizza. I did not know what chili-mac was. I did not know people made queso by melting Velveeta and Ro-Tel tomatoes together in the microwave. (I've never owned a microwave). And the obsession so many people have with dunking food into condiments? I had always assumed that was limited to fries and five year olds eating nuggets. I really had no idea.

This place has opened my eyes.

I agree with OP really.
And the cooking board would need a sticky. It wouldn't be hard to do, most of the basic techniques are objective and never change.

your just baiting for replies and to derail the thread with /pol/ tier posting, yell "sjw" all you want but that ban is completely justifiable.

Fuck you faggot

If you want to talk about actual cooking, than change your own posting to encourage others to join in. Post threads that relate to cooking, such as "what did you cook last night Veeky Forums", etc.

Much more effective way to do things than complaining.

Lol you think Veeky Forums is bad???

It's just a picture, I wasn't making fun of you.

I was counting the catalog, not OP.
Also, forgive my absense from the thread. My roof inexplicably sprung a leak. Guess I'm calling for repairs when this SIX FUCKING DAY STORM is over with.

I guess so. I was thinking more that they were getting trolled to shit. Like the post yesterday about some guy lamenting that Glasgow's gentrification has ruined cheap eats in his area that got turned into "NYC IZ THA BEST AND IF YOO DONT AGREE U R FLYOVER FAGGOT LOL!" It was trolled to fuck and back.

To go into every thread and count how many posts are cooking related, how many are merely about food and how many are trolling/baiting is something I just don't have the dedication or interest in doing.

He's right, though. It's not about cooking. That would mean every thread on /diy/ about raising hens is about cooking. And of course they're not.

It's been tried. There was an user who tried to have a weekly cooking thing on here about last year or so wherein we'd pick a theme, then post our step-by-steps of us fulfilling that theme. The theme could have been cooking with a particular ingredient, such as mushrooms, or cooking something within a particular class of foods, such as chicken sandwiches, or something like that. And it wasn't a contest or anything, just something to generate OC. Other than myself and a handful of other people, it went largely ignored, which was very, very sad. I tried to keep it going for that OP to no avail.

Butthurt NIGGER detected

>I have been thinking that there should be a unique board for cooking only.
Why not use a dedicated cooking website with forum?
Heres one I think you'll like:
lgbtchat.net/

>Petition for a unique board for people that actually cook

Wew look at the salt on you.

moderators must sleep.. two weeks ago , when I suggested the same thing (split Veeky Forums make a /cooking/ and /fast food/ boards, I was banned for 24hrs...

Wow you told him so hard you fucking savage lol high five breh he's totally shitter shattered now boi

If you are under the age of 12, discontinue browsing immediately

Thats a really good idea, user.
How is that in a cooking board there is no even one fucking sticky about techniques, cooking points for different things, etc.?

lol. You need to realize all of Veeky Forums is like this and accept it or move on. This site is for casuals who are mostly 15-25 and halfway or uneducated etc.

So people on /tv/ bitch about all the idiots that watch infantile movie and shows, and I imagine most every other board is also full of adolescent plebs. It's just the nature of this site. Veeky Forums isn't for "mature cooks" just like /tv/ isn't for real cinephiles.

>You need to realize all of Veeky Forums has been colonized by redditors, tumblrites, and viral marketers

FTFY

Veeky Forums is unironically the best board on Veeky Forums, don't fuck with it
Pizza, hot dogs and sriracha are fine, you get semi-related shit on every board. Like manlet and tfwnogf threads on Veeky Forums.
And beekeeping can stay. What ever happened to homebrewmen and homegrowmen? They were cool
Holy shit we do need a sticky. Shit would be cash

Kill yourselves

Stickies kill boards

aren't redditors precisely the ones who WANT 100% on-topic, "mature" discussion?

>what happened to homebrewmen/homegrowmen
They abandoned ship because Veeky Forums took a turn for the worse and their threads were getting trolled to fuck and back, just like OC threads about actual cooking do today.

They're all on now.