What are your thoughts on George Foreman Grills?

What are your thoughts on George Foreman Grills?

Let's say I inherited one. Should I keep it?

sure

I like how the gill marks on those steaks are clearly perpendicular to the fucking grill.

I think they are gross and unnecessary. You can't even wash the damn thing.

Cant unsee.

Let cool and wipe it fown with soap and a wet rag.

doesn't get hot enough to grill meats. the veggies it gets hot enough to grill are too soft and are crushed

I would hang on to it, OP.

I use mine primarily to cook thick cut bacon. It cooks it really fast and it always comes crispy the way i like it. Clean up is as easy as cleaning a pan or skillet. No splatter.

Other than that I sometimes use it for pre-made frozen burgers and pork chops but not much else.

I sure hope you're saving that fat. I use a cast iron skillet on low for about four hours, turns out fully-rendered an airy, then I put it through a paper towel filter into a mason jar.

I like mine. My wife and I got one for our wedding, and we mainly use it for cooking bacon and hot dogs.

Even cheap hot dogs taste better when cooked on a george foreman, imo. Only thing better would be a real grill.

If you have the counter space to keep it out test it for a couple of months. If you don't use it about once a week then let it go. It's too big to keep on the counter if you don't use it fairly often. Most people who store theirs do not use it.

You bet your ass I'm saving that shit. Thanks for the tip on the cast iron on low

Das it mayne!

Hell yeah, four to eight hours depending on heat and thickness, it's a whole different bacon!

he flipped them. you're not calling George a fake chef, are you?

ARE YOU?

>Let cool and wipe it fown with soap and a wet rag.

yeah, unless you get the one with the removable plates, it's a royal pain in the ass to clean. they don't just wipe clean.

that's a whole lot of fucking bacon. you can just about determine your past history by examining the layers of bacon fat, not unlike examining layers of earth.

I got one that someone re-gifted to me. It's alright for burgers but I mostly just use is as a sandwich press.

protip dont put ur food directly on the grill

line it with baking paper and dont have to clean it

They work really well for hot dogs and as a sandwich press but not much else.

I went to Goodwill the other day and they had about 20 of them.

I slice this shit and cook it on my george foreman

Looks good doesn't it

I was thinking about buying one today but I can't make up my mind. The one I want is only $30 on Amazon.

I mostly want it so I can thaw frozen chicken breasts in the refrigerator overnight, and then put them on the grill so they cook on both sides quickly.

dem gains

George Foreman grills are one of those things that seem like a good idea. Then you try it, and think "Hey yeah this is good". And then you have to clean it and you think "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHAT A FUCKING WASTE OF TIME". Then you never use it again.

i bought one when i didn't have an oven and used it a lot but now that i have an oven i never use it

...Aren't they just like a panini press?

Sort of, except you can't apply the same sort of pressure that a panini press can.

It's so good he put his name on it. Do the math.

That would depend entirely on the panini press. Some of them are cheap walmart tier shit like the foreman. Others are full-on commercial models that are very strong. Don't pretend they are all the same.

I think they're kind of dumb.

Anything you can do with a Foreman you can do with a plain 'ol frying pan or skillet.

Most of the time, the skillet is faster anyway.

>>but but but the foreman cooks on both sides
Yes, but it's also much weaker than the hob on a normal stove.

And it's a pain in the ass to clean.

Use some of that as is in a fry pan, and cut brussels sprouts in half and fry them face down in the fat then a bit of a toss. Be careful adding salt as the fat will be pretty salty.

A panini press that can't exert pressure isn't a panini press; it's a grill pretending to be a panini press.

If you're into cooking and gains, sous vide your chicken titties with some stock, thyme and lemon, maybe some butter if your macros allow. Best goddam titties out.

it's an extra grill that, if the non stick coating isn't scratched up and cancer causing (if we're talking inhereting one odds are it was) might free up space in the pan for bigger meals with more people or batch cooking. Keep it if it's not fucked up. if it is, into the trash it goes. if you decide to throw it away, keep the grease traps. use them to set the busy end of utensils in during cooking like spatulas.

>Let's say I inherited one. Should I keep it?
Play with it, explore how you might enjoy it, try recipes, plan a few meals around it til you hae a rotation for it, and then? Make up your own conclusion if you want it (or have room for it on your counter or in your cabinets).

I've had them in the past, also, ROFL, gifted. It as something I could tell my timid yet wannabe chef husband to use without fear! ("Honey, take out the meat, rub with such and such seasoning and some olive oil and leave to marinate, turn on Foreman, and when warm place in and lower lid, set timer to 20 minutes. I'll be home soon.)
Protips:
When you remove the meat. Unplug the machine immediately toss in a layer of damp paper towels while hot, lower lid, and leave it. Whether you leave it overnight, or clean it while doing your dinner dishes, is your call. Steam from a damp paper towel softens up brown bits and makes it quick. Newer devices have removable plates that go in the dishwasher. Too bad the bits can't be used for a pan sauce (one disadvantage of foremans)
Don't buy super fatty meats, because the drip tray is a pain to use and clean. Lean ground beef and nicely trimmed other meat.
Foremans are the opposite of dry heat grilling much as you think, because the lid-down will rather trap steam from the closed environment. But, if you take it to a point past well done, you can get a dry glazed coating. from sugars :/ Because of unavoidable steaming, hey, planks of zucchini and other veggies cook nicely.
If you cover a panini or any sandwich with buttered foil, the lid can act like a press to make a Cuban, muffaletta, or just a nice garlic butter toasted sandwich, plus the cleanup is crazy easy. Garlic toast! Some machines have interchangeable plates for smooth vs ridged for this purpose.

>Americans call THAT bacon

Disgusting

Don't get the George foreman brand. Get one of the competitors with the removable plates. Easier to clean, and most can be flipped tp reveal a griddle side for pancakes etc.

But it's not a mean, lean grilling machine. :(

I got this one for $2 at garage sale and find it pretty useful. Pain in the ass to clean but I really only use it to make hot sandwiches and heating up tortillas.

Doesn't get hot enough to be a true grill, you could get the same results on your stovetop.

I got one from my uncle. It's actually pretty cool. It's fast and easy to use, only downside is that cleaning it is a bit of a hassle.

Shit grill. Awesome panini press.

god tier for certain things, but no good for me because it just promotes eating more shit

like cheese and baked bean toasties, mmm..

The George Foreman Twoman. That's a collector's item.

God damn you Brits are a fucking foul people. It's like you actively search for crappy food to love.

If you're the type to clean as you cook.

I had a smaller one for years that I used when I got home from working 12hrs. I loved it. Just did like one chicken breast, chop or burger and then wiped it down right before eating.

It worked great and lasted right up until the day I didn't clean it after using it. Once it had sat it was really frustrating to clean and never really felt CLEAN-clean again. I used it until it was nasty and then tossed it.

After seeing this thread DESU I'm probably going to go buy another cheap small one.

I think this is the most sensible post about George Formby grills that I have seen on Veeky Forums

Hey can I get some sauce on that?

Keep it. Works outstandingly for cooking bacon. Can filter the bacon grease when you are done and use it to season cast iron.

I don't like bacon, but I don't see what you mean.

When I was 9 years old I called mine the Morgan Freeman Grill once,and ever since I called them that.

what are the white and green things in front of George's apron with grill marks on them?

zucchini?
Maybe?

Rarely use mine anymore but have always had a good turnout with steaks or burgers... As others have mentioned, clean-up is easiest if you do it as soon as you are done with it, while it's hot and using a soaked soapy rag.

He just turned them.

Except they do just wipe clean, don't wait for it to cool down, wipe it clean with rag/water while it's hot, gunk comes off super easily.

I wish my goodwill had them,

I had one years ago, and actually really liked it.

Made chicken and steak super easy and fast.

also works as a makeshift panini press.

Overall I'd say 9/10 invention easily.

I should get another one.

Me and my roommates have a George Forman, however we've only really use them for frozen chicken breasts and sometimes hot dogs. Despite how much I would love to try making a steak in the future (or at least one I can afford, decent steaks are way too pricey now a days) I don't think I could cook a nice juicy steak on such a small thing, and having to flatten one just to fit would break my heart.

I'm pretty sure there's a GF grill somewhere in my kitchen. I already have a deep fryer and a stove, do I have any reason to take it out?

They're great for making pressed sandwiches.

Wal-Mart had a knock off brand for $9.85.

Its a meme grill favoured by reddit, avoid.

For sure, I've always wanted one.

Nope, I have a charcoal and a propane grill. That shit is a meme appliance.

that shit looks amazing, i'm so hungry right now