Whiskey/whisky general

I got $50 in the mail, and I'm going to take this opportunity to buy my first bottle of scotch. I've only noticed a handful of single malts in this price range, and I'd love to hear your opinion of them. The ubiquitous options seem to be the Glenmorangie 10 and then Glenlivet/Glenfidditch 12s. Allegedly the Glenfiddich has a nice apple/pear taste, which sounds great, but is a bit weak tasting. On the other hand, the Speyburn 10 is incredibly cheap relative to all other options -- does this reflect poor quality? On the very edge of my price range, I think I can also swing an Arran 10.

I'm a big fan of fruit notes, which it sounds like all of the Glens have in spades. Ideally I'd also be able to find some smokiness, but these seem to demand more money. Currently I'm leaning towards the Glenmorangie. Feel free to shitpost more generally.

Drink some garbage by Macallan. It's caramel, fruity and altogether vile.

Or just drink Courvoisier and stop pretending you like whisky.

>has never had any Macallan besides 12 year

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

15 year old oak, dipshit.

I can't recommend glenmorangie enough, especially the sherry-aged ones, at their current price points which are around $55 here on the east coast. They're popular for a reason.

>willfully drinking courvoisier

Just admit you're a nigger or that you have garbage taste. Only people who drink that dogshit are blacks and people who wish they were black.

I'm trying to cater to OPs tastes. I'm not a brandy fan, other than asbach uralt and that shit is basically turpentine that tastes like scotch made by crazy germans.

This was actually what I most wanted to try. I went to a scotch tasting this week and tried an Islay that was the most incredible beverage I've ever had, but was almost $200 for 750ml. Unfortunately Laphroaig near me will run about $65, and I'm hoping to keep around that $50 mark.

This is probably enough of a confirmation to get me to go with it.

While I haven't tried it myself, Balvenie's Doublewood was recommended to me and is also finished in a sherry cask. I believe the price is similar.

Glenmorangie is pretty boring. I've had 3 test bottles from their kit and it's very milquetoast. You'd be better off with Talisker, Bowmore, Caol Ila, Ardbeg, Lagavulin or Laphraoig.

You won't drink more than a dram a night.

>milquetoast

Drink some peaty islay garbage so you can brag about how cool you are on Veeky Forums and reddit

I found me a place selling Lagavulin 16 for $65. How many should I get?

>tfw love Old Crow just as much as I love a good scotch, just for different reasons

What is wrong with me?

You should buy cases of it. It's 135 CAD here.

Nothing sir.

I love both fine wine and $8 rose, great scotch and shots of Wild Turkey 101. Variety is the spice of life, and half of scotch drinkers are just trying to cultivate an image anyways.

quads have spoken

Nicely got, have a sogwich

Why do you people not kill yourselves? I don't know if it's autism or just some social anxiety that's rotted you at your core, but stop this shit right now.

why do people like YOU not kill yourselves? Actively trying to put down other people for the harmless fun of pointing out a quads get. Why do you feel the need to do that, user?

There's a certain novelty to rotgut that knows it's rotgut and doesn't try to hide it.

>You're trying to get fucked up, right?
>I'm right here on the shelf.
>$8.99
>You won't remember the next twelve hours, but think of the savings!

I usually keep a fifth laying around.

who /blantons/ here

>le painfully mediocre brandy

Fuck off. Get real brandy, cuck.

In that price range, the best single malt I've had is Talisker 10 year old. Not sure how it compares to the Glens, although it's in the "Islands" subregion of the Highland whisky region.

Talisker has a notable salty flavor with a hint of black pepper as well. It's fantastic.

Man, Talisker is far out of that price range where I live.

Same, Talisker is $70 and over in NY and CT.

>Get real brandy
What does Veeky Forums consider as real brandy?

glens boring imo

go islay or go home

Look guys, I drink saltwater flavoured Islay scotch, am I cool yet. P-patrician master race right?

Ch-cheers!

What would it be besides "oak"? That's what scotch is always aged in.

I like scotch
I hate people who are "into scotch"
I hate talking about scotch
Scotchfags and beerfags are the true cancer that scotchfags and beerfags erroneously believe winefags are
See:

this is my new favorite

only like 30 bucks a bottle and its fucking delicious