Kawell in the Kitchen: Simple steak, mash and spinach Edition

Happy Friday night all. Been a while since I've done some cooking; my attention has been focused elsewhere in my new hobby of investment trading. Going to keep it real simple tonight as I've had a steak hankering all day. Join me for a little cooking if you'd like.

Posting live from the kitchen.
Beverage tonight is a simple bottle of Merlot.

Potatoes gonna get cup up and stuck in the pot for about 30 minutes or until done. Scraps will head on into the compost bin. I'll be chopping up some purple garlic for them when done for a delicious garlic mash.

Two cloves should do. I'm going to mince it down to a paste which is accomplished by adding granulated salt and flaring it with the broad side of the knife. Repeat a chop and mash a few times and it picks up a paste like quality.

The paste will go into the final mashing of the potatoes. The retained heat should help mellow our the flavor and give them a light cooking.

While the potatoes are cooking away we're going to gather some thyme from the balcony garden to cook when the steak. It's really coming along well over the past few months where I can finally get enough yield to cook with regularly.

Just a little off the top!

>That apartment herb garden

That should be enough.

Once the potatoes are half way done I'll let this room temp steak get a nice rub of salt and pepper, nothing more. Looks like a 3/4 inch rib eye so I figure 4 minutes on each side in just under medium temperature. Then into an 450 oven for another 5 minutes to finish it off, then rest.

It's been a work in progress for a few months now. I have basil coming out the ass which is great, but I've also had some defeats. Can't seem to get radish to grow properly--likely due to lack of proper sunlight. My Bibb lettuce is beginning to go to seed because I haven't been pruning it enough. I also have other various chili plants still in need of larger pots. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Think I'll also get some chives for the potatoes too.

That's a nice balcony garden. I'm jelly.

Thanks. All these guys are in dire need of larger pots but I can't do much till the next wage slave payout. Left to right is cilantro, red bell, habanero, jalapeƱo, cayenne, Roma tomato and Italian parsley that's in its last leg.

Carrots and failed radish, right to left. Carrots should be ready in a few more months.

Right to left is Swiss chard, green beans and the lettuce that's bolting to seed. Had to replant the greenbeans though, we got hit by an insane heat wave and they got some serious damage and didn't make it.

very nice I join them in their jealousy

great looking garden you've got going, must make cooking more enjoyable.

Mash is done. Got some butter and garlic in there and grtting it all mashed up. After its really I'll cover up and work on the steak and spinach at the same time.

Time to season this great looking steak with salt and pepper, then get it into the pan. Well cook 4 minute each side then stick it in a 450F oven for 5 minutes to finish

In she goes

Forgot pic

Spinach in. Will be seasoning with salt and red pepper flakes.

Steak flipped

Again, forgot pic

Makin me crave a steakie

Into the oven for 5 minutes

Out, letting it rest for 5 minute and it's ready to serve.

And there she is. Just some Friday night goodness.

give us that money shot

Just for you bud. Only slightly over, but still moist as hell. Maybe if I cut back t 3 minutes on each side it would be more medium. Won't find me complaining though.

yeah overcooked but still looks moist would/10. I haven't had steak in too long. enjoy your dinner

nice burnt steak lmfao holy shit

all this effort and wanking for a totally trash outcome, what a surprise

not too late for a mcdonalds run for you though OP, kys

You can just feel the jealousy dripping from this post.

Yeah it's a little over, buy given how juicy it turned out I'm crazy fine with it. I've had medium steaks all my life and this is very comparable.