Never see baking much on here

Never see baking much on here.

Lets get a baking thread going.

To start the discussion - does anyone know a good mudcake recipe?

Going to try my hand at making one today.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ukqXC_VkzSc
bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake
silk.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this thread

I've never tried making a mud pie before but hot damn I'd like to. If you find one, post it.

That being said, I know about a lack of baking threads. Baking is my thing but I'm a giant fucking pussy too afraid to post anything.

someones gotta start it off, i wont judge you, im terrible anyway

Maybe I'll start posting. I was going to bake something this weekend so fuck it.

What's got you wanting to try making a mud pie?

>take some mud
>put it in a pie tin
>top it off with a small layer of chocolate
>serve it to unsuspecting guests

>What's got you wanting to try making a mud pie?
partner returning from overseas...

I'm starting to lose motivation and I'm considering buying one, as I can't find a suitable recipe damnit.

Does it have to be a mud pie? Are you talking about the no bake ones?

Just a rich dark chocolate cake.

Nope baking is fine !

So now pizza is a pie.
Cake is a pie.
Burgers are sandwiches.

>Burgers are sandwiches.
If you believe captcha, burgers are ALWAYS sandwiches.

I just refresh that one, same with the store fronts.

bump

fuck off roastie

this is a COOKING board not an assembly and decoration board

>pizza is a pie

Pizza is a vegetable

>not using legacy

Children breasts rolled about the leftovers from my juicer. Spicy salt rub. Baked like whole turkey.

Contribumpin

>children breasts
Leave now sick fuck

Yep, you caught the last typo on the internet. Waldo would be so proud.

It's obviously chicken

Why chick breast? Why not a cut that's not terrible for baking?

Because it's what I bought. I'll be trying pork next time.

>Never see baking much on here.
>bread thread with 280+ replies

Take a look at chicken thighs next time. They're usually cheaper and the meat bakes a lot better.

There was so much juice in these breasts that when I got the pan out of the oven; found they were boiling in about an inch of liquid. Saved it in freezer for soup at some point.

>>Thighs bake better
as in they're drier?

I don't like bones in my chicken regardless. Also, you can't roll a thigh up like a burrito as you can breasts, and how else to incorporate a veggie mash?

Not that guy but breasts are often pumped with water/brine which might explain the liquid.

Thighs bake better because they don't dry out as easily as breasts. You can also get boneless thighs or just bone them yourself.

I'm not sure if its exactly what you're looking for, but a few months back another user posted a video link for a chocolate cake that seems about as heavy as what you want.

I made it for Valentines, and my observation is that the gelatin sheets are absolutely necessary, the powdered gelatin I used didn't cut it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ukqXC_VkzSc

>Also, you can't roll a thigh up like a burrito

Sure you can. Debone them then roll 'em up.

I made this before:
bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

It was a good

I baked some no-egg cookies yesterday using the following recipe. What does Veeky Forums think?

silk.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies

Personally, I think I used way too many chocolate chips.

Is that a hair on that cookie near the top left? Ruined sorry, user.

Looks like a dust particle.

Did you like their texture is there any real difference from these and using eggs?

Yeah, I liked the texture of the cookies.

Next time I'm definitely going to use less chocolate chips, maybe even make a couple batches without them.

>is there any real difference from these and using eggs

In baking, eggs are known for adding some firmness; the lecithin in the yolk can act as an emulsifier.

I've been baking for years casually but should really get off my ass and just learn the small stuff like that.

Whole batch ruined.

Never tried baking cookies before, and wow that recipe seems pretty simple and quick. Thanks for linking it!

I've wanted to get in to baking, but it feels like so much commitment. If I make a bad meal, then oh well, but if I make a bad ENTIRE CAKE then it's like, fuck. I have this huge hunk of fucking cake I have to get rid of.

I made these little apple rose pastries the other day (pic is prebaked) and they turned out pretty great imo.
Little tweaking here and there and they'll be my go-to easy dessert

I was the same, my first time I made a cake I felt like I failed and it did hurt. But you learn from it and adjust. It'll come down to learning to time the baking right and not so much the ingredient proportions.

Just don't give up, its daunting but after the trial and error you'll make some nice stuff. Now I love making brownies

What do you usually do with the stuff you bake? I have a major sweet tooth and I'd be tempted to eat it all myself, but I really don't feel like putting on like 50 pounds.

I set things out on the table with a plastic bowl shaped cover for anyone who wants them after I've had my share. I live with my parents still, and with them and a brother they go through things fast. It feels nice to bake for people

If you have no one to share with, just have a little bit each day. Some cakes and brownies age INCREDIBLY well. After a few days to a week of sitting under the cover they get a great small hard chocolate layer on the outside frosting. I actually prefer 4 day old brownies to fresh ones.

> I have to get rid of

I'd feel obligated to eat it.

The way I see it is my fuck up, my meal or whatever.

If something's off, lesson learned, time to git gud.

No problem. It was my first time baking and it only took me about 10 minutes to mix the dough.

If it's your first time baking, I recommend reading up a bit on the creaming process. It's pretty damn interesting.

I find that grilling, toasting, or pan-frying cake can make it bearable if I've messed it up.

Hah and it actually 'was' my first time baking! I made a batch last night, I didn't expect the thread to still be up this morning!

God creaming takes alot of effort, mixing this stuff isn't for people with weak arms. End result was great though! I had to let them bake for longer than the recipe asked to get them firm enough but everything else was okay.

Thanks again! I had fun

I would love to bake cake and cookies, but everytime I do I have to eat them all, and my sugar shots up to a million everytime I eat one,so.

>I didn't expect the thread to still be up this morning!
that's Veeky Forums for you

if you find yourself wanting to do a lot of baking you should look for an older used kitchenaid mixer.

For cookies, a standing Kitchenaid mixer is overkill outside of a commercial setting.

Compared to doing it by hand, even a cheap old electric hand mixer will still make quick work of creaming and combining cream with dry ingredients.

baking includes a lot more than cookies, also a hand mixer will incorporate too much air during the creaming process leading to a more cakey cookie.

I make chocolate cake and banana bread all the time, because they're piss easy and delicious. I also make honey oatmeal cookies when I have a honey surplus. The other day I made an apple pie, ridiculously easy too and cheap.
I love baking, but as the other guy said, I end up eating the whole thing and that's too much sugar. But on the other hand that's pretty much all the sugar I ever consume.

On a related note, does anyone know a nice vegan ganache recipe to fill/cover a chocolate cake with? I want to make a birthday cake for my feminist animalist lesbian vegan sister

I thought the point of creaming was to introduce air. Could you elaborate?

Yes creaming introduces air but how much air you want is based on what product you're making so if you're making a cake you want the butter and sugar to be light and fluffy but if you're making a more dense cookie you would want it less fluffed.

Standing Kitchenaid mixers are nice to have just because they're damn versatile, but I've made due in my apartment without one for cookies just fine.

Creaming is just mixing all the wet ingredients together, for cookies it's usually just eggs, butter and sugar. If you whip it too hard, it aerates the batter more than usual and you get a cake-ier texture rather than a dense one. I love my cookies super fucking dense and gooey so I just mix them on a relatively low speed until everything's just combined.

>Children breasts

>I was the same, my first time I made a cake I felt like I failed and it did hurt.

girl detected

Chocolate banana bread, fresh out of the oven
Sorry about the yellow light

Banana bread master race

Check out joy of baking. Her videos are really good. I've made her chocolate raspberry brownies and they are amazing as well as her chocolate cupcakes which were awesome as well. So moist and delicious!

I never feel confident in experimenting with baking.

I feel like 70% of it is chemistry shit I don't understand and if I fuck with that I'll get drastically varying results.

Don't forget to stop by my office so I can reset your optical implants Jensen!

I like to bake sweet things but make them a little healthier. This is a lingonberry-chocolate cake made with whole spelt flour and sweetened with maple syrup.

Fucking love it. As an avid cycling enthusiast my house is always full of bananas, so I always have a couple of overly ripe ones to make bread.

I really want to try the black penis cake from Curb.

Anyone have experience creaming with plain Greek yogurt?

I read you can substitute equal portions of butter and margarine with it.

You just have to be willing to accept that sometimes you're going to end up with a mess.

Like it took me about four tries to actually figure out how to bake a cheesecake that wasn't ugly as sin, lumpy or both.

i'm dubious because the fat is meant to act as a shortening agent and potentially help rising when the water turns to steam, dunno how greek yogurt would fit that bill.

Im trying that can of soda + cake mix thing ive seen passed around, will post pics if it goes bad.
Anyone else try that yet?

I make quick bread with beer all the time, but I can't see soda working for a cake with all the acid and shit in it.

you'll likely get a very premature rise on your cake and have spillover.

Here it is
Seems alright. I did use a pound cake mix instead of a regular one

Literally childrens

ah, pound cakes usually have little leavening so i can see it working out well there.

>God creaming takes alot of effort
Make sure your butter is room temperature before creaming.

Made a carrot cake tonight. How do I git gud at icing?

Nevermind, I misread.

You're not supposed to substitute the fat (butter, margrarine, shortening) with it, you're supposed to substitute the milk and cream.

you could try using coconut cream for the ganache

CNC milling machine

That sounds damn good.

You know those little red cartons of heavy cream? Mix the whole of that with enough self rising flour to get a nice dough, knead it for a bit, fold it over itself a time or two, and tear off chunks and you can have some delicious biscuits

They rise best up in high altitude but the flavor is still very good if not

I'm a horrible photographer, but I made these semi-homemade brownies for a few parties I went to recently. I didn't follow the instructions on a couple box mixes instead adding brewed coffee, coconut oil instead of vegetable, melted butter and extra cocoa powder.
I made a dark chocolate ganache on top and then buttered, salted and toasted pecans to place on them.
They came out perfectly fudgy without the corners getting hard and crusty either.

People ate them like mad and some took a few home with them, which I'm thankful for so I couldn't eat a bunch.

damn

I don't even like pecans but them look good

>ctrl f "pie"
>only one person mentions baking a pie
its suffering. I've managed to get my crust down so it's nice and flaky while still being plenty of soft and pie like, but now I'm stuck on whether a syrup or juice/tapioca combo is my preferred way to fill them. i feel like an autist sometimes because i make like a pie a month and the little differences are starting to get silly

Thanks, user! I was kind of worried to post because everyone has such beautiful looking photos and my brownies are all different sizes there.

I bake pies once in a great while, but I often make very simple ones using leftover fruit and jams I have lying around instead of thinking on it much.
I believe this was a blueberry, apple and cherry pie with cinnamon.
Do you do anything special to your crust? Any pie recipes you've really enjoyed in the past? I've never thought of making a pie with a tapioca filling and that sounds really delicious.

Posting these makes me want to actually try making my baked sweets look pretty. I feel embarrassed pff.

What's the issue then? If what your after is just a good, rich chocolate cake, there are a million and one recipes. If it's not rich enough just add a bit more chocolate. If you want a nice ganache you can find tons of stuff for that too.

Fuck, both of these look amazing. Good job.

I've nothing to say about pies other than I've never found a decent pre-made dough. If it's not filo or croissant dough, it's better to make it yourself in my experience.

i enjoy making moelleux.
does anyone know what to do with a bunch of nutella, a friend left it and i don't like it on bread

1. crumb coat
2. take frosting off, don't add more after the initial blob so you reduce crumbs
3. use a lazy susan

I'm so flattered! I don't get to cook or show what I make to people often, so thank you for the kind words!

I agree with you on the pre-made pie dough, too. For every brand I've tried, the flavor is odd and they just don't get flaky or cook as well.