Self Employment

Is anyone actually self employed here? Memecoins / cryptocurrency NEET does not count.
What do you do?
Do make decent money?
Is it worth it?
How did you get started?
Biggest lesson you learned?

Passive income also welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

paysa.com/salaries
breakoutlist.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Inherited Property rental (high quality in d city)

Sometimes i wonder if i should wagecuck but rent is stable unless i become completely retarded

I suck dik

I also got rental properties, but I'll do random odd jobs when I get too bored.

Real estate appraiser here (calicuck). It's ok. Work is ezpz, and I get to go all over socal, which is great for me because I hate the thought of working in the same building/office every day. Money used to be great before laws were changed. I do not recommend you even entertain the thought unless you find someone to sponsor your trainee hours BEFORE you start. But it's easy work, pays decent, leaves me plenty of time to trade memecoins and shitpost.

Meh i get high rental incomes so i dont run after low incomes. I just listen to erratic music most of the days

>Real estate appraiser

did you need to go through school? like get some sort of qualification?

google is your friend here. qualifications depend on your state, but it's usually some online meme courses and an exam you have to take. I did mine through allied schools.

the hardest part of doing this is getting your trainee hours. I can't overstate this enough. You have to find a certified residential or commercial appraiser to sign off on all your work. They get nothing from this, and helping you is just adding competition.

I'm in music. 22 y/o. Do a little bit of composing work for games on the side (mostly through one friend who's gotten me some contacts) but most of my income is from renting out my recording studio, doing creative consulting (as a producer, not the meme electronic music kind), and booking + talent management. Money's comfortable and easy.
Got started straight out of high school. Was planning to go to a music school for a worthless degree but I hate school so I wanted to take a year off first. In that time I met a sound engineer about the same age and we worked together on a few projects out of his dad's studio. Realized pretty quickly that I love working with recording equipment and being in a creative position of power so I marketed myself around as a producer using my limited portfolio and just expanded from there. Invested $15,000 that I'd made from playing gigs at upscale parties in Santa Monica into a new studio out of my parents' guest house and never looked back.
>inb4 silver spoon

As a fellow musician i think thats rad. Wyd all day tho ?

I unironicaly want to open a burger restaurant. I think id start small with a food truck and build from there.

Im just a guy who likes a good burger and im sick of working for other people

Bump for interest

Self-employed property manager here. Started 9 years ago by managing a neighborhood that was being developed by a friend of my family as a side job while I worked my way through school. I was making $12/per home, per month at the beginning, on 180-190 homes. Now, I make $9/month per home, per month, on 759 homes, and the monthly income is not even 30% of my total revenue from that neighborhood, as my contract allows me to charge for lots of incidentals (managing the neighborhood swimming pool/lifeguards/chemicals, landscaping common areas, street sign repair/replacement, mailbox maintenance, retention basin maintenance, etc.). I added 9 additional neighborhoods to my business, hired 2 guys who manage the day-to-day for them all, a secretary to handle calls for me, and I sit in my office and basically negotiate service contracts and delegate shit all day.

Biggest lesson I learned was to be selective about the business I take. Don't be afraid to turn down potential clients if you have any reservations about working with them going forward, as the additional money you may earn by working with people you hate does not make up for the stress and aggravation of having to deal with whiny cunts day in and day out.

you ever seen the movie chef? you should watch that it'll give you inspiration.

Photographer, shoot for hotels and resorts. Basically paid to go on vacation twice a month.

You're always working for someone ie customers. Fact is businesses are hard-work and if you think working for a boss is bad then get ready to deal with shit head customer's personally on top of all the extra work you'll have to do keep your business afloat.

>unironicaly

Contractor. I build new houses to sell on spec and also rent some. I do some flips, also fix up shit houses to rent. I manage rental properties for other investors. I have a few crews that just clean out foreclosures. My wife is a real estate agent, which works out well. I have 30 employees and have been building my business for 15 years. Also small ethereum farm 1.2 Gh/s.

Don't get too big too fast. Keep a low overhead. Be ready to switch what you do very quickly. Have multiple streams of income because as soon as you find a niche, it's gone as everyone jumps on board. Pay off debt and don't blow your money like a stupid faggot when times are really good.

>What do you do?
crypto day trader

>Do make decent money?
I think more than anyone I've ever met/will ever meet

>Is it worth it?
the most I made in a day was about $10,000.....so yes

>How did you get started?
wanted some LSD; required Bitcoin

>Biggest lesson you learned?
it's disheartening, disturbing, depressing realizing that money is actually inherently broken, and then realizing like, only twenty other people in the world know the math you wrote

whew

this, I found working for the general public in a shop to be worse than having a boss sometimes. the moment of people who just like to complain ruin your day/week/month

“only twenty other people in the world know the math you wrote”

What math my dude?

the amount*

on a sidenote you can talk to the customer however you want. if you're tired of their shit you can just stop listening or talking back.

I actually got into a fist fight with a customer before

Don't entertain LARPers.

Self employed lawyer. Personal injury plaintiffs work. Saul Goodman stuff. I wage cucked for three years out of school and day dreamed about throwing my boss out of the window. Got fired because of low billable hours and took two clients with me, which was $150k annual income at 28. I used that income to fund a practice. Never looked back. I have two office staff that do the grunt work. I go to court, go to meetings, and talk on the phone. I can stop and trade whenever I want.

I expect AI to cause a drastic decrease in car wrecks and workers comp claims in the next decade or two. I wouldn't advise starting a personal injury practice at this time. Blockchain tech should render some of the corporate lawyer positions. Divorce and criminal work isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but neither of those are my cup of tea. I agree wholeheartedly with the general sentiment that domestic courts heavily favor the woman.

Started doing freelance web development Junior year in college so that I didn't have to flip burgers or give tug jobs to pay for school. Why sell your time for $7/hour when you could use that time to teach yourself a technical skill and earn more money? I grew a small client base, then interned at an IT staffing company for 8 months. I was freelancing part time simultaneously. I Graduated with a worthless business degree and turned down a junior project management position at the it staffing company so that I could freelance full time. I grew a decent client base / started selling complementary services. 3 years later and I've scaled to an agency. I'm glad i took the risk, but wouldn't recommend this path to anyone. The stress and uncertainty was almost unbearable sometimes.

>IT freelancing

how do you compete with the filthy pajeets?

I had a web design business and I started using pajeet coders/designer to do jobs. normies don't really know about using services like peopleperhour

freelancefag here, I work in marketing
busted my ass for years working for shit clients for shit pay
now I work mainly for a 8 figure company. the pay is ok but not great. I can clear about 5k a month if I work hard (quite a bit of money where Im from)
but its very stressful and I have zero job security and no benefits. Overall I would not recommend. Either go full wagecuck in a high paying position or build a real business. freelancefagging is sort of the worst of both worlds.

I go after the premium market and differentiate with price/quality. my ideal client is more interested in a consultant and pays a premium price for an expert. They want a more involved process, so lots of conference calls and iterations. We do managed hosting, branding, online marketing work.

Milk $100-$300 everyday trading btc.

Yes dog walker/poker player.
About $800 a week dog walking, I have about a dozen clients and work about 25 hours a week. $700 or so on average playing poker 30 hours or so a week.
The only downsides are I work to some degree every single day night and day, though it’s just often for an hour or so. Two of my core clients are very rich people who have me come every single day except Maybe xmas. I’m trying to hustle and stack a milli got into neo early and ran up more money than I’ve ever had. Just moved into a fancy apartment in an affluent suburb north of Chicago with my big titty girlfriend. Honestly feel like there’s no stopping me. I maybe a simple dog walker but I’m hustling like there’s no tomorrow.

how?

I wouldn't say I'm self-employed really, since it's never been a stable thing, but I've dabbled with it on/off. I've always wanted to be self-employed since my dad's pretty much always been (although I've also really enjoy being employed and working with co-workers).

Earned 30k in 3 months buying/selling on ebay while going to college.

Employed as programmer at startups for 2 years (100k/yr).

Quit job, earned 10k by mining cryptos + sold powered risers + antminers s1's in 1 month.

Employed as programmer at startups for 3 years (120k/yr).

Quit job, earned $40k worked as contractor for 2 months.

Created side project that earned $500k in 6 months.

Currently learning deep learning AI so that I can work on new side project. If it fails, will probably join Google or other large company.

>What do you do?
TV/Film production.

>Do make decent money?
Starting to, I left a start-up 10 months so I started at the bottom, but as I transition to the next level, the $ is getting better and my workday shortens.

>Is it worth it?
It's relative, but personally I hated working for other people, especially when they were less competent than me. And for the most part I dictate my work schedule.

>How did you get started?
Roommate.

>Biggest lesson you learned?
Invest in yourself. If you don't invest time and energy in working for yourself, you will end up working for someone else. Fuck that shit.

Can you teach a few things? Would be awesome to have a mentor. I'm 18

>Created side project that earned $500k in 6 months.

How? What was it?

Crane/skilled labour hire, great money, very worth it, been in the industry for 12 years.

No one will ever work as hard for yourself as you do.

DJ
Make about $300 a week (student and no rent), sometimes up to $1k
It's great to choose how many gigs I do, if I want more money I usually have to accept shittier gigs like weddings and kids parties (rather than bars and clubs).
Initial investment is low as long as you have a good laptop already. Just need to have a very, very big music collection and understand what people listen to.
Biggest lesson so far is the spectrum of trading off being creative vs making money - it was hard to turn down shitty gigs that paid $100/hr to instead play for free but with music I actually enjoyed, but eventually I got to the point where I could play music I love while also getting paid decently. Just took a few years of turning down high paying gigs. Definitely the best thing I've done career-wise.

I own a tiling business. Made $75k last year and worked 30hr work weeks.

It's definitely worth it but ONLY if you weed out the assholes. Working for assholes is Hell. Thankfully I've gotten much better at determining they are assholes up front and I just flat out refuse to work for them.

You would not even believe the stuff some people try to pull.

Biggest lesson are two things. The above, don't work for assholes no matter how much money they offer. Trust me on that. And second, don't pay for ads. Web presence, word of mouth, and door hangars are more than enough.

I've never purchased one ad and I have more customers than I can even handle.

Food truck is good.

DON'T do a restaurant. It's impossible to make any money. And it's a shit ton of work.

>Thankfully I've gotten much better at determining they are assholes up front

How?

is it easy to fuck roasties as a DJ?

You can ask me stuff now if you want, but not interested in helping out full time. There's a lot of resources online, plus I wouldn't really call myself qualified to mentor.

I don't want to go into details. It was programming-related and built on top of a service. It wasn't really a sustainable business though, otherwise I would still be doing it.

Story?

Any decent resources like websites you can share that you use?

I go to college and upload YouTube videos.

I make 2k-3k euro in a regular month, but I make upto 12k in the last quarter of the year because ad rates are way better. I just started doing it for fun and kept being consistent. Right now i'm saving most of my money, I hope to be able to invest it in property.

Don't get too big too fast is great advice.

Even if you make a ton of money the stress will kill you. Your goal should simply be to make 10% to 20% more every year.

In September I earned more than 5k euro
In October+November I made close to 6k
In December I made 13k euro

Hmm, nothing but obvious stuff.

For browsing I use reddit/hacker news/Veeky Forums mostly. This is just for killing time, but once in while I'll stumble on something that looks like an opportunity and do more research into it.

When I'm programming and get stuck on something, I'll google it, which will usually point me to a stackoverflow post. If I really get stuck and can't find any answers I'll post it on stackoverflow.

If you want to negotiate your salary, I'd definitely do research first: paysa.com/salaries

This is decent for finding a decent startup to join early on: breakoutlist.com/

If it's resources for learning programming, it's been a while so I don't have any in mind but there's just so many out there + plenty of ppl who've compiled lists. There's so many different types of learning materials too: videos, interactive websites, books, etc. I suggest just trying them all, and moving on to a different resource if you feel you're getting bored/stuck.

The easiest way to learn programming when you're starting out is just to get a much exposure as possible. That's easy to do if you're having fun, hard to do if you feel like it's a grind.