I feel like an idiot for asking this

I feel like an idiot for asking this.

Why does everything say to boil your pasta water before putting the pasta in? What is the difference between putting the pasta in water that's already boiling and putting the pasta in cold water and then boiling it?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-cook-pasta-salt-water-boiling-tips-the-food-lab.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Guaranteed cooking time

Consistent cooking time, retard. People's stoves heat up differently, the pasta amount can be minutely different across each box as well, so for the most consistent results you begin heating as soon as the water is boiling (and the pasta is guaranteed to start cooking immediately as a result).

Why not just test it occasionally to see if it's cooked to the firmness you like?

Why test occasionally when you can throw it in the hot water, set the timer, and walk away?

this.
thread/

I'm not sure, but I think it's to do with consistent cooking time.
Not all stoves heat up at the same rate, and there will be variance in the amount of pasta in each box, so for the most consistent results you begin cooking as when the water is boiling (and the pasta is guaranteed to start cooking immediately as a result).

Won't you usually be at the stove or chopping board anyway, preparing the dish/sauce?

I'm not a woman. So I'm never in the kitchen.
Except to get another beer.

Then what the fuck are you doing on this board?

Throwing the pasta in will cool the water down though, so won't the cooking time from when you put the pasta in still be inconsistent?

Youve still gotta stir it or it will stick.

My post presupposes you're already cooking pasta, otherwise you needn't bother replying.

Can't handle the bantz

or just pour some fine olive oil in it

Stick to McDonald's, champ, this isn't difficult to grasp.

Why are you being such a dick?

cooking time and the agitation of the boiling water helps to keep the pasta from sticking.

They'd probably stick a lot.

why are you such a fucking idiot?

It doesn't really matter so long as you time it from when the water starts boiling

Al dente is a meme anyway

Your bantz are shit.

I prefer my olive oil to be coarse.

Pasta soaked in cold water (or room temperature water, or lukewarm water, or warm water, it doesn't really make a difference) is not a thing you really want to deal with. It's softened but not cooked-- and yes, there is a difference, in both texture and taste. I would think cooking it after it's soaked in cold water produces problems, but I've never tried it myself.

Why are you such a fucking moron? Wondering the intricacies of boiling fucking pasta, are you kidding me?

Some of the responses in this thread make me want to punch myself in the face repeatedly for what I have read.

On topic, you already got your answer previously so /thread.

fucking rekt

You fucking mongrel. If you put the pasta in cold water first then let it boil the starch in the fibers of the pasta seeps into the water and ruins the pasta. There's a difference between cooked pasta and soggy pasta in that soggy pasta falls apart and tastes like chalk shit and cooked pasta actually fairs well with vegetables, sauce, etc

Serious eats did an article on it and it's not much difference

Stickiness and easier to keep track of cooking time as the recommended times are for putting pasta in once the water boils.

holy fuck the answers in this """"""""""""""""""""""cooking""""""""""""""""""""" board

Actual data? On MY Veeky Forums?

seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-cook-pasta-salt-water-boiling-tips-the-food-lab.html

Maybe? Sometimes pasta is nice with just some salt and butter. But the point still stands, you won't need to drop what you're doing just to check to make sure it's done.

So you stir it when you put it in? I never really have that problem.

>holy fuck the answers in this """"""""""""""""""""""cooking""""""""""""""""""""" board

If I've learned anything here, it is that this place is a "cooking" forum in name only

Actually I've seen pre soaking advocated in a cookbook before.

It's just Veeky Forums Shitposting: Food Edition.

Or you could just stir instead of wasting good oil.

Why take extra unnecessary steps though? Having to check my pasta every minute to see if it's all dente is a waste of time. I could've also focused on making my sauce or cleaning up, and then just check the clock occasionally until its ready.

No. Don't do this. In addition to wasting oil, it ensures you sauce won't stick to the pasta.

feel free to fuck off then

That tumblr peep has funny nose. Rare?

Agreed, he awkwardly forced in the "lmao sexism is edgy" shit for no reason.