Is there anything worth eating in Phoenix?

Is there anything worth eating in Phoenix?

I just moved here from San Diego and this city seems like an absolute shithole for food. There's no Asian food and all the tacos are shit.

Sounds rough.

Sadly I have no idea.

Yeah, what are you looking for? Low rent, fine dining, etc?

For Vietnamese, there's a good strip on Camelback by 17th Ave.

Fine steaks, I still think Durant's on Central might be best in the nation.

Filibertos is there from San Diego for late night after bar stuff.

Also, where are you located? Most of "Phoenix" is shitty burbs, you need to be in one of the downtowns to get decent food.

There's a trash Filiberto's and then there's a good one where you can pay them to make tacquito burritos like they had back in Encinitas. I found a dope Japanese-Korean place over on Thunderbird called OHYA that's the only place in this entire city open past 10PM.

I'm in the 85022. It's all skinheads out here. Shitsux.

Samefag, some more stuff . . . .

Pizzaria Bianco downtown has won best in the nation way too many years. It's hours wait time though.

For decent sushi, I always liked Zen 32. It's not great, but price is good and low-key atmosphere.

Best burger in the world is at the Chuck Box, in Tempe, on University like a half mile east of Mill Ave.

Filibertos is good, but kinda expensive.

There is the Film Bar in Phoenix, a movie theater that sells alcohol...

most food places in phoenix are in other parts of the country so nothing really unique.

I remember 2 german places in east mesa, one looked really nice, but the food was just ok, the other didn't look that great but the food was great, don't remember their names.

Sushi 101 is pretty great sushi on University and Scottsdale,

There are some other great Sushi / Teppenyaki places in East mesa, that do the whole convayer belt thing for the sushi.

I'm not in phoenix much, but in Tempe / Scottsdale / Chandler / Mesa all the time.

>I'm in the 85022. It's all skinheads out here. Shitsux.

OH DEAR GOD

Yeah, Maryvale area is a total fucking wasteland. Go downtown. Hanny's for a good cocktail, try and blot some of the fucking idiots where you're at out, and then hit downtown.

>that's the only place in this entire city open past 10PM

Nah, you're just not in the city. Stuff on Roosevelt Row is open till like 3 in the morning.

I did Taco Guild for my birthday and was honestly kinda overwhelmed, but there's a teeny hole in the wall Afghan place down the market that's the best food I've had in my year out there.

I'm afraid of getting shot every fucking day, man.

>Best burger in the world is at the Chuck Box

Dude, no.

The East Valley doesn't have as much as downtown, but it sounds like you go to ASU and never step off campus or something.

You should be.

I used to live down in the barrio at 17th and Van Buren in the early 2000s, when it was BAD, and I'm white. Still wasn't half as scary as Maryvale.

Move. Tomorrow. There's no reason to stay in that asshole unless you're cooking meth, and most places in Phoenix are almost as cheap.

I went to ASU.

lived in Tempe for 6 years.

in East mesa right now.
Have you ever been to the Chuck Box? It's fucking amazing. Better than In and Out.

I moved out here to save money and I'm hoping to go back home next year; I'm not moving again except back to Cali.

Know any good places for street tacos?

>tfw your roommate says Phoenix is a great food town because it has Red Robin

You could always get the randy johnson big unit hot dog

Yeah, I lived at ASU as well, which is why I say that.

It's good, but hit or miss. There's better burger places in Phoenix though.

>tfw you went back home to San Diego and had Turkish street food, gourmet ramen, Korean BBQ, and dynamite tacos all in one day
>then had to come back to fast food hell

>Know any good places for street tacos?

Yeah - there's an incredible Carne Asada shack at 7th Ave and Camelback. It's a funny place, because it's behind a gay bar, but all the vatos come there as well. Best carne asada I've ever had though.

For lengua, El Norteno on 7th Ave and Roosevelt used to do a good one late night, along with illegal beers.

FWIW, I haven't lived in Phoenix in a few years though, and street food changes quicker than anything. Phoenix is also more burrito than taco focused - growing up there it was weird to me when tacos stopped being fried, and weren't machaca by default.

Ritos down in the Garfield is also a good spot to check out, especially for their beans.

The problem with Phoenix is most white people there are from the midwest or inland California, and moved there to keep their shit taste for cheap. Stick to the old neighborhoods and you'll do better.

Where did you have turkish street food? I want some

Phoenix fucking blows, want to make a suicide pact?

There's actually a few good middle eastern places in Tempe (they were grandfathered in prior to a smoking ban, so that's why they stay there). Also would recommend Cafe Lallibella for very good Ethiopian food there as well.

In San Diego? At the Hillcrest farmer's market every sunday under the big pride flag.

No Turkish food yet, but there's an awesome Afghan joint in Phoenix called Khyber Halal that does the best kebab and curry.

Sure. I hate this place.

install yelp you retard

all the korean/viet/thai food is in tempe around mekong but there is a ton of stuff spread across the city

Scottsdale and old town have a lot of nice food (obviously)

For fine dining, Bourbon Steak is great (Michael Mina's place at the Princess resort). Citizen Public House is a good spot in old town. FnB too.

Welcome Diner, Clever Koi, and Matt's Big Breakfast get my vote downtown. Also, there's Pomo and The Parlor for pizza. And some pretty good restaurants around Phoenix like Otro and Okra.

Any Fox restaurant is going to be dependably solid tier.

Coffee: Giant, Cartel, Press Coffee Roasters get my vote. Fuck Lux.

My favorite gem is Andreoli in Scottsdale. Real fucking Italian food and small market. Family vibes, crazy good pasta

Source: I'm a yuppie living in the phx area

Asian Cafe Express (in Mesa) has really cheap food and huge portions. They have an authentic Hong Kong menu if you prefer that over Americanized Chinese. Across the street is Mekong Plaza which has a lot of other Asian restaurants, I especially like the sandwich place for banh mi. The grilled beef and grilled pork are my favorites.

Princess Market (near Tempe/Mesa border) has great Middle Eastern food. There's also a few other Middle Eastern restaurants nearby, like Haji Baba. They're all good though I prefer Princess Market. Recommend their shawarma with fries or kebab pita.

Also agree with Yelp is actually pretty helpful for finding places to eat, just remember that a lot of the 1 and 2 star reviews are from people making petty complaints so just because a place doesn't have 4+ stars doesn't automatically make it bad.

>I'm a yuppie living in the phx area

Phoenix is like easy mode or something - like yuppies there would be just basics elsewhere. Phoenix hipsters would be yuppies in a city, etc.

Source: Phoenix hipster turned yuppie elsewhere

If you haven't tried it, Gourmet House of Hong Kong on 20th and McDowell has been great hole in the wall Hong Kong style for decades.

Downsides are it looks like shit, and if you don't speak Cantonese they won't let you order the really weird shit.

Go back to San Diego. You will make us all happier.

If you want some good pad thai check out Cherry blossom around camelback and 11st and then head next door for some Snoh (Asian inspired shaved ice)

Harumis downtown on central is great for quality sushi. If you want to entertain a friend bring them to the revolving sushi bar on camelback and 20st for happy hour.

For some vegan meals and dessert check out Nami's and Green, they have great stuff despite it being a hipster breeding ground

I can vouch for the gay taco stand somebody mentioned earlier, meat is tender and $1 a taco, can't beat it.

Most of the anons nailed the priority places to check out.