Do you pick up berries in your local forest ?

Do you pick up berries in your local forest ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/white-chocolate-cakelets-with-blackberry-cabe.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No. Pollution.

yes

cos finland

maybe

Top secret information.

Never in parks in the city, but the ones on the outskirts are fine

Yep. I make gallons of juice from serviceberries, chokecherries, and crabapples each year.

nah. i might cross someone in the process.

I live in Kansas, we don't have forests.

Too many WaitAMinute vines in my local forest areas. Not really worth it to get stuck in possible sumac or poison oak.

>juice
why you not turnin that juice into wine?

I turn the juice into lots of things. Pancake syrup, jelly, cocktail mixer and melomels. But not wine because I don't like wine.

No, but only because I'm terrified of insect larva.

Waste of juice. Then again, juice is already waste of blueberries.

I enjoy living.

I'm not juicing blueberries. I'm juicing serviceberries, which are very seedy and not very good on their own. The same with the other fruit I juice.

I just came home from picking bilberries here in Norway.

They're a world away from the regular blueberries you get in the store here.

Bilberries are sweeter, more nutritious, and they leave a dank purple color on your fingers, clothes and tongue.

2013 was a WAY better season, though. Back then they were massive and grew all over the place with a really high density, and none of them were deformed or wrinkly.

This year is quite a bit worse. A bit below standard. They're still delicious, but take way longer to pick because they don't grow nearly as densely this year.

Foraging is always pretty variable where I'm at too (Rocky Mtns). In 2014 there were lots of apples, but none last year and few this year. Last year was bad for chokecherries too. This year we had a wet spring, so chokecherries and serviceberries are abundant. The wet ruined the thornapples, but I pick few of them anyway. This year is going to be excellent for crabapples though. The trees are loaded with green fruit.

>berry pickers

the blackberries are already coming through here (south-west uk). i'm glad, fuck summer

i don't go to a forest tho - there are blackberry bushes everywhere in the city.

>Bilberries are sweeter, more nutritious, and they leave a dank purple color on your fingers, clothes and tongue.
So they are just blue berries

Blueberries aren't the same berry. Blueberries are green and dry on the inside, while bilberries are red and juicy on the inside.

>Blueberries aren't the same berry
They essentially are
all the differences you're listing are negligible
blue berries aren't dry and they still stain your hands should you burst one open and especially when you cook them
even if you think they are sweeter, that really just depends on the season because blue berries aren't known for being anything but sweet
Looking at the nutritional value, there's no real difference besides the fact that blue berries are better documented

They are very close relatives anyway

I own some woodland and there's a bunch of wild raspberries plant there. It's pretty fun to go pick some of them every once in a while.

Wild blackberries are fairly common around here, so around this time I'll make runs to a few spots I know of to pick them. Never get enough to actually cook much with them, but they're tasty eating regardless.

I used to. I grew up in a really small town, and Saskatoon berries grew all over the place, especially the local lake. My sister and I would pick and eat them on walks, or we'd pick a ton and bake them into a pie.

I live in a city now, so wild berries are are scarce and I don't really trust them.

Nah, I pay the minorities to do that.

Nowhere to harvest stuff in Australia

have you even tasted bilberries you autist

they are sweeter and juicier

american blueberries are fucking awful and a hundred times shittier than bilberries

>I live in a city now, so wild berries are are scarce and I don't really trust them.

Just make sure you wash them thoroughly and then cook them in something else, like using them to make a sauce. That should take care of chemical contaminants and bacteria.

There's a reason why I go out in the woods and pick bilberries instead of buying blueberries, and it's because I find bilberries much tastier. Blueberries are slightly bitter in comparison.

picked a whole basket of blackcurrants, made some great jam and syrup. sadly i missed the elderflowers so this year no cordial or champagne. the wild strawberries in my garden mostly get eaten by wildlife but i still manage to get a few and the field behind my house is full of raspberries

Theres a language barrier here i think.

Vaccinium myrtillus is the european blueberry, which americans refer to as bilberrys.

Vaccinium corymbosum is the american blueberry.

Original bilberry poster here.

This is why I specifically said "bilberries", besides, "blueberries" don't grow in the wild here as far as I know.

Raspberries and wild strawberries in Colorado. Can't grow them at the house because of birds. They're awesome when going on a hike in high country though. Fringe benefits.

Do you meet a lot of dangerous wildlife in the forests in America? It seems less safe than it is here in Scandinavia.

Wild berries are government property. Picking them is illegal and punishable by up to 800 euros or a month in jail.

Has happened only when stoned.

>Getting munchies, man. I wonder if there are any berries out there?

t. Finland

>government property

Not the land owner property? Seriously?

no, never I'm way too afraid of confusing them with sheep or rabbit poo.
also fox tapeworm. they can crawl go into your eyes. no shit. google it.

Oh, apparently only a few European countries have the freedom to roam.

Do Americans have that, or do they rely on national parks?

I don't have to give a shit here in Norway.

I think that's how it should be.

>the blackberries are already coming through here (south-west uk)

I noticed that myself today. They're pretty damn early though so I'm going to wait a few weeks; the early ones are going to be sour.

Seedless blackberry jam this year, I think.

What happens if you come across poisonous berries while stoned?

Then you'll vomit and/or get the epic shits. No berries are poisonous to kill you easily. That's pretty much only fungi.

Not really my area is much better for pecans anyway, and I honestly just harvest those from the huge bunch of trees by my house.

Well there's bears and mountain lions. They're black bears though and aren't too scary. They know better. I'd cry if I saw a mountain lion though.

I don't know about Colorado, but there's no dangerous animals where I live in the Midwest. There used to be wolves and cougars about 150 years ago, but they were removed. I recently read an article in the local news, though, about how conservationists are considering re-introducing cougars to the forests around here to help cull the deer population.

People usually have plenty of land or know someone who does. America is huge, land is cheap, pick berries off your land. My parents have an acre or two and we get way more than enough blackcaps and black raspberries to make 12 cups or more of jam. We also get a handful of wild strawberries that are super tiny but super tasty.

Indiana here, same.
Alaska or Wyoming might be dangerous, but most of the midwest is super safe.

Yes, plenty. They tend to have worms but I doubt it's unhealthy to eat them after putting them in the fridge for a day or two...

I picked this box in like 10 minutes, buying a similar amount at the grocery store would probably cost 5€ or more.

I'm in southeast IN. That's where they want to bring cougars back. I guess the deer around here are getting out of control. Rising number of car wrecks and crops being eaten/flattened.

I'm on a very strict diet atm and I'm pretty much living off these various fruits I'm picking on walks plus some cheap veggies and protein from the store...

you have in that picture my childhood.

Wolves are not dangerous to humans, bring them back. Don't know about cougars...

When I was a kid I lived in a place with tons of wild blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, raspberries and blackberries. It was pretty awesome.

But then we moved, and there is nothing around here but Saskatoons which I hate.

You can't just bring them back in large numbers. You'll destroy the ecosystem. Much like how the natives eradicated local wildlife and gave everyone syphilis.

>You can't just bring them back in large numbers. You'll destroy the ecosystem
No more than the current ecosystem is being destroyed by huge populations of deer and other wolf prey

youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

Predators have to be reintroduced in controlled numbers. We have this stuff down to a science. Purdue University is a good resource for this kind of thing. Deer, though they do destroy large swaths of flora, which can cause drastic environmental changes, are essential to maintaining a balance. This video doesn't touch on invasive species of plants, such as autumn olive, that would overrun portions of Yellowstone and alter the landscape if not for the deer consuming it in large quantities.

Yes, I make this shit out of them

I am in too far south for blueberries, but i'll eat the shit out of some blackberries when i come across them

>he doesnt hunt instead of gathering

top grag bo hahahaha

Fuck I remember picking blackberries at summer camp as a kid. There was this one epic spot but the bush was in a huge ravine. So you had to mcgyver some ropes to hang over the bush and pick the best ones

Dat feel of eating so many berries till you throw up

You can't tell the difference between a berry. That grows on a plant, vs a loose pellet that is a completely different color and is on the ground?

Kys

sup /out/

I got these fresh blueberries on the side of the road from some kids, I think this container was about $5. I live in Michigan's upper peninsula. I can't cook, so I just ate them all.

It rained yesterday but today I'm gonna go out into the lake and go picking, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, mint, etc. Normal maine stuff.

plant a few currant bushes in your garden
almost no maintenance after they're grown up and FREE berries every summer

I pick berries in my garden.

I was up in the UP about a week ago. Blueberries are growing strong up there.

>Not doing both
pleb

It's not like most poisonous fungi kills you "easily", more commonly you only notice several days afterwards that your liver and kidneys are toast.

I need this in and around my mouth.

We pick my favourite berries every summer called Saskatoon berries. I don't get why they're not sold in stores. They are so fucking good

Just yesterday 3 Kg (hands not mine)

Today I intend to make seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/white-chocolate-cakelets-with-blackberry-cabe.html
Although it says to use Cabernet Vinegar and I have no idea which one is that, I have White wine vinegar and that's it.
>seedless
How?

There are Blackberries everywhere I live, but I have no idea about blue ones, nuts are also something that grows, but in these later years they seem to easily disappear.

[spoiler]That is Maine[/spoiler] yeah not supported

>seedless
>How?
straining

fucking big blueberry shills at it again. onto you senpais

I still dont get it how can you do that, considering how small they and the blackberries are.

It's not a difficult concept.
>throw berries in a blender
>pulse
>dump berry mash into a strainer
>tap the strainer repeatedly over a bowl

I do this with raspberries.

>local forest

i live in a first world country

That sounds really nice!

Yes I do. Norway here, I pick mostly blueberries and raspberries. My home town had raspberry farms all over the place back in the day so they grow wild all over.

I use the raspberries for making jam, and I also but 2 kg into a homebrew lambic sour this year.

The blueberries I make pie out of mostly because thats my fav!

Picked 5 kg the other week myself friendo!

No chicago suburbs I looked into it we do have dedicate forest areas. Gave up bought a pound of elderberry especially off Amazon made jam.

Worse you'll get is cramps if you eat something you don't know.

>neighbor has like 3 apple trees in their front yard
>never pick them, leave them to rot to attract insects and animals

why even?

Ask if you can pick or buy some.

yes. there is a beautiful forest with a shitload of berries and mushrooms near my house

Some raspberries from the garden

there is nothing in the world i want more right now

I wish they would sell fresh raspberries down in the city square where I live. Ten kg's worth of blueberries isn't bad though.

>But not wine because I don't like wine.

>raspberries and blackberries grow in backyard
Feels good man

Just got back from foraging an old homestead. I got about 5 lbs rhubarb and about 3 cups tiny wild raspberries. Tomorrow I go back for red currants.

I've been taking care of these patches for a few years; weeding, pruning and feeding. It has rewarded me well.

Does anyone here know the pain of picking gooseberries?

What's so painful about it? We had three bushes when I was a kid.

I know this feel

Plus strawberries and blueberries.

It's my hobby to collect berries, mushrooms, wild herbs, hunt game and fish pretty much erryday.

I love being finnish

This
or cheese cloth after blender madness

Do you know the pain of picking sea buckthorn? Totally worth it, though.