How many of these old Midwest/Rust Belt beers are still made today?

How many of these old Midwest/Rust Belt beers are still made today?

Pic related is actually my favorite American swill, but it's getting harder and harder to find. Old Style and PBR are poor substitutes. Never had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-QlobN5pwRw
jsonline.com/business/old-style-beer-to-return-to-la-crosse-b99765327z1-387666321.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My grandpa drinks old Milwaukee exclusively. It's a piss-water trash beer.

Pabst owns most of those brands, though they own no breweries and contract brew most of the stuff in Milwaukee at MIller. (though Pabst just rebought some of their old Milwaukee complex and is going to start a pilot brewery there, mostly for PR and tourism reasons though)

Schlitz is probably the best of the bunch, as it was in the 60s and early 70s from what I understand. They messed with their recipe to make it lighter (cheaper) which lead to their downfall as a private company

Stag beer and Griesidieck are still around in St Louis. Stag is my choice beer for cheap drinking. I also like Mickey's bigmouths and tallboys.

Old Style is my favorite of these types of piss beer. Tried Shlitz before but wasn't all that impressed. Old Mil is only for when I'm broke, PBR is an old standby. Miller High Life is another go to. Give this is try, though. I love this stuff.

Most of them changed recipes and techniques to cut costs in the 60s and 70s - so depends on what you count as "still made".

>rust belt
put this song in my head op, well done
youtu.be/-QlobN5pwRw

I know Schlitz purportedly brought back their original recipe a few years back (Schlitz "Gusto")

Is this the same stuff you can still find on shelves?

Yeah, supposedly the current formulation is the original. Its actually quite a bit better than the typical macro. My grandpa actually worked for Schlitz back in the day, I'll have to ask him how the modern variant stacks up (He mostly drinks High Life now)

You can still get Old Style in Chicago.

jsonline.com/business/old-style-beer-to-return-to-la-crosse-b99765327z1-387666321.html

Gone, but not forgotten.
Pic Related: The Falstaff Brewing Co., on the South Side of Chicago.

The First-Ever Lite Beer, from the Meister Brau Brewing Co.

All I know is Midwestern swill.
Old Style is probably my favorite go-to beer, tastes like I'd imagine a stock-photo of beer would taste like, in a good way. Chicago pride and all, I think it's a notch above most of its competitors.
I don't condescend to PBR and I drink it plenty ($1 pints at the bar, woof) but I don't much like its flavor.

Never had Schlitz. Never assumed much of it. This thread has me curious though, maybe it's a hidden gem?

YUENGLING

Wisconsinite here. We have some good lagers from Lakefront and Sprecher, which probably taste like what Miller/Schlitz/PBR would have tasted like before they started making them en mass.

I don't like Ales. I find most bottom-fermented brews to be more refreshing.

How is Nordeast compared to the regular Grain Belt?

>PA beer
>midwest/rust belt

That being said, I miss it.

Iron city. Just as "okay" today as it was back in 1861

schell's master race

So absolutely nothing about Pittsburgh or Philadelphia says "Rust Belt" to you?

Personally, I think it's much better.

not your area, but I love Gennessee. Not the cream ale.

Rochester is Rust Belt. Maybe not in location, but same formula of lost jobs and hopelessness

Not-so-proud native, I think we got voted as like the 2nd or 3rd worst city in the continental US