Simple Scandinavian recipies?

Hi Veeky Forums, posting from /k/ here. I was wondering if you guys can recommend some simple Nordic foods. I've been watching Vikings, and got inspired. I've made cured salmon before, but that's about it.

I'm looking at fish, and meat dishes mostly. However my ingredients are pretty much limited to what a generic North American grocery store will have.

Other urls found in this thread:

tofufortea.blogspot.fi/2012/03/kotijuusto-homemade-finnish-cheese.html
dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/finnish.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=OvW2xeSn4As
trinesmatblogg.no/2016/02/02/mammas-kjottkaker-med-brun-saus-og-kalstuing/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWJB4FUw_I
cookingfinland.blogspot.fi/2011/04/mammi-traditional-finnish-porridge-or.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LlSox8M322U
youtube.com/watch?v=YUHQb741WSg
sweden.se/culture-traditions/gravad-lax/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stekt Fläsk med potatis och löksås!
Fried pork (think bacon but a little thicker)
Potatoes (boil em senpai)
Onion gravy (make simple gravy and cut some onion pieces in it)
Tada!

Köttbullar! (Swedish meatballs)
500 grams of minced meat (either pork or beef, or mixed)
½ dl breadcrumbs
1dl of cooking cream
2 spoonfuls of chopped onions
1 Egg
1 teaspoon of salt
A tiny bit of pepper, like a real tiny bit.

Mix the cooking cream and breadcrums in a bowl, let it stay for about 10 minutes
Mix in the rest of the ingredients and make them into small balls
Then just fry them in a pan with some butter or margerin or whatever for about 3-5 minutes

I would serve them with some mashed potatoes and some lingonberry jam

Thanks a lot. In regards to the fried pork, do I pretty just get thick cut bacon?

>thick cut bacon?
yeah

Fläsk med löksås är gudalikt

I would check if he is talking about actual bacon or American bacon, it would end up completely different.

Various breads and root vegetable dishes, my friend. Turnips, beets, etc. There's an amazing spectrum of dairy in Nordic countries, a lot of which can be made at home, provided you're willing to work for it. An example: tofufortea.blogspot.fi/2012/03/kotijuusto-homemade-finnish-cheese.html

This might interest you: dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/finnish.htm

If you want meat or fish dishes, I'd suggest Karelian stew and Finnish cream of salmon soup.

It's thick cut pieces of pork belly, wich is not the same thing as bacon.

the ones i meant looks like these
Dont know what you call it in America

youtube.com/watch?v=OvW2xeSn4As

They have a decent meatball recipe too

You only need this:
trinesmatblogg.no/2016/02/02/mammas-kjottkaker-med-brun-saus-og-kalstuing/

Dane here. One of my favorite (and very traditional) foods would be smoked herring or mackerel. Alas, that requires getting those fish fresh, and unless you live somewhere where they are fished that could be difficult.

Another would be roast pork. Scandinavia is famous for high quality pork. Alas, the classic is a rib roast with the skin still on it so it makes crackling. And that's hard to find that at an American supermarket.

You talking about Flæskesteg?

You can get it at butcher shops. Even if they don't have it readily available you can call them ahead and they will accommodate

Yes indeed.

People say that, but in my experience it's not true. I'm living in the US currently. I've been to seven different butcher shops and none of them have been able to do that. The only way I've been able to is:
1) buy a whole pig
2) buy a skinless roast and a piece of pork belly. Cut the skin off the belly, use "meat glue" (transglutaminase) to bond the skin to the roast.

In my city of ~250k I have 3 that will do it for me. Sometimes they charge a small fee but I think that is just because they would rather do their normal routine or make their own pork rinds to sell. Offer to pay extra or go to a place that gives classes on how to butcher a side of hog because then you know they are doing it themselves and should be afforded the opportunity

Also i would suggest trying Janssons Frestelse (Janssons Temptation)

3 large yellow onions
1 1/2 kg firm potatoes
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (for frying)
3 cans of anchovy fillets (each 100 g)
4 dl heavy cream
2 dl milk
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons butter or margarine

Preheat the oven to 175˚C.
Peel the onions and potatoes. Slice the onion thinly and fry it in the butter in a frying pan. Cut the potatoes into thin strips.
Layer potatoes, onions and anchovys in a greased oven-proof dish
Put the potatoes in the bottom and top.
Heat up the cream and milk.
Then pour it togheter with the anchovy brine over the whole thing.
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and take small pieces of butter also
Bake in the lower portion of the furnace for 1 and a half to 2 hours. If it starts to get too much color, cover with aluminum foil.

I often have this on the christmas table, my mom makes it and its great

I like a savory seasonings and olive oil for roasted potatoes. Pork roasts are amazing paired with it.

Well dogger scandinavian (and finnish) food culture is based on root veggies, mushrooms, berries, wild herbs, game and fish. And hard af dark bread.
You can get all this from a grocery store for sure. And you can find all recipes online.
But it will never taste the same.
Because it's not fresh from (almost) the purest climate on earth.

>In my city of ~250k I have 3 that will do it for me

Nice, you are more lucky than I am.

I have offered to pay extra of course, they just say they can't get it because their suppliers already remove the skin in advance. The issue is that they don't actually do the butchering on the premises. Like many so-called "butchers", all they do is order-in the cuts they want from a packing house.

That being said, the meat glue + belly skin method works really well and is easily done. I do that most of the time. Otherwise, if I'm lucky enough to get a whole pig then I will cut it myself. I sometimes go in with some friends on a whole hog. We usually end up BBQing one half of it southern-US style, then cut up the other half for various specific uses.

>Finland can't into cheese.

Dunno, if you try that, it is 99% disappointment I afraid. Still, seeing the picture made made crave some :-)

Anyway, try "lust herring"
>1/2 kg fresh fileed herring

1st stock
>2 dl water
>1 dl spirit vinegar
>2 tbs salt

2nd stock
1 dl water
0.5 dl spirit vinegar
1 dl sugar
1 tsp salt
2-3 medium onions worth of onion rings
0.5 dl (= a lot of) dill
optional: 2-4 cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp allspice and or white pipper and or black pepper, celery.

Make the first stock and add deskinned herring fillets into it. Note: skinning may be easier if the herrings are let to sit in the stock for about an hour.

Let the herrings sit in the first stock for about 5-6 hours, drain well. Make second stock, add herring. Best edible the next day.

Stegt flæsk med kartofler og persillesovs er langt bedre.

>Flæskesteg
This looks remarkably like Chinese bbq pork belly.

Surströmming

Here ya go m8: m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWJB4FUw_I
The show is called "New Scandanavian Cooking" here in th US on our public broadcasting system, and hosted by Andreas Viestad, and Tina Nordström (who is hot asf Scandi master race). Great show.

I've been meaning to ask:

You are supposed to de-gut and wash the things before eating, right?

nope

>Scandinavian food

The only good thing besides Ikea to come out of Sweden.

>no qt3.14159 scandi cook wiafu

Honestly Scandinavian cuisine is just terrible. The only spice they ever use is salt and MAYBE pepper. It's just bland and boring.

depends on type, can be whole fish or fillets

While I agree that Scandi cuisine is in general bland compared to more tropical latitudes, that's outright bunk. Allspice, mustard, anise, dill and and fennel are common spices. You can't get any more classic Danish than new potatoes cooked in dill and butter. While they're aren't spices exactly, vinegar and lacto-ferments are used. So is smoke, especially smoked fish.

>salt, pepper
Don't forget the moetherfucking DILL.
Adding lovage to soups is known. Used to be like really common.
Also, nettle and currant leaves.

We genuinelly think allspice is a pepper and use it as such. We add cardamom to sweet dishes and caraway to bread.

Well of course it isn't the same thing, belly pork and bacon are completely different cuts of meat on different sides of the pig.

Wait, burgers cut the skin off their pork? It isn't a roast without the crackling, fucking yanks.

Anyone who can't enjoy food without spices has genuine problems. You are no different to the Romans and their garum.

we deep fry it and feed it to the mexicans

kebabs and bullsperm for the Scandinavian cuckold.

>belly pork and bacon are completely different cuts of meat on different sides of the pig.
If you are American you are both misinformed
If not then you should know American bacon comes from belly of the pig, fatback is rendered into lard or used in sausage, and the pork loin is sold separately

Man I wish all our cunts could get on the same page about cuts of meat

Don't bother, scandinavian food is notoriously bland and pointless. Hell, most people don't even eat "scandinavian" food, they eat a mix of french, italian, spanish, german and american food like everyone else.

This. I pretty much only eat traditional food during xmas.

Some things we Vikings + mongols at the estern side of the sea have secret fetish for:

>dill
No further explanation needed.

>ammonium cloride
Also, no explanation needed.

>herring
In all forms, but specially pickled. We also consume large quantities of salmon.

>blue cheese on pizza
Plus the notion that pizzaplaces need to have a salad buffet.

>weird fermented milk things
Bring your own, we'll surely like it. Also, will sprinkle some cinnamon on it.

>Coffee (light roast)
We'll drink you under the table.

>Bananas
Must be the phallic shape...

>Raisins
We also add them to many places. Specially to some unlikely traditional dishes. This is a carryover from the days when they were "exotic".

>Macaroni
In casserole. That's basically what there is to pasta, right?

Also: pea soup and pancakes belong together.

That's traditional party food, though. Like super special occasin feast food.

The every day stuff was mainly just tubers, salted meat and fish, dark bread with butter and very little else.

y u say that? where are u from, user?

I feel sad for you. Nordic cuisine is wonderful and complex.

Janssons, så svensk?

Fuck, now I'm overwhelmed with nostalgia. Having surströmming with my friend while getting royally drunk, having some cod jerky that my dad makes, my grandmas crepes.
I want to go home now :(

I was thinkin an are of about late 1800s and then my argument stands, the christmas food was considered super fancy at the time and it used exotic ingredients like rice, spices (other than salt, pepper and dill that is), refined sugar and dried fruit.

The everyday commoner food was pretty simple and made from relatively few basic ingredients, even in affluent houses. Not that it is a bad thing.

Also, seasonalism was the word of the day, remember. Only preserved things and some game in winter, freshly gown everything in summer; grown men eating salad with good appetite. Spring was the season for milk and eggs, because your cows and chickens started doing their thing again. Fall: mushrooms and berries obviously, also the main slaughter was timed late fall.

>lust herring
Is this herring eaten raw? Also what would this be called in Finnish?

Yes. The strong brine makes it soft.

Proper pickled herring is too, as far as I know. This is kind of "pretend" pickled herring, with all the tastes turned up to eleven and the fish really fresh. It's good.

Called "himosilakka".

Gravlax and cold smoked salmon are also "raw". Probably some other fish things I eat that I don't just now remember.

This is OK, you only get parasites from fresh water bottom feeding fish.

does a pork belly joint count? I have roasted this up a number of times with great crackling

Oh, forgot: "silakka" means _baltic_ herring, it's the smaller subspecies of the atlantic herring.

Can get pickled herring from a normal US grocery?

In the US it's called salt pork. Most markets will have next to the bacon.

I recommend blanching and shocking it before frying

cookingfinland.blogspot.fi/2011/04/mammi-traditional-finnish-porridge-or.html

>blanching
thats just stupid
You are supposed to cover it in egg and then put bread crumbs on it (mix some spices into the breadcrumbs) and then just fry it up in a pan

This thread needs more of Scandi's favourite foods : Curry, BBC Cream, Kebab.

Dude. There's plenty of good cheese in Finland. Sure, it's either really expensive and the traditionally homemade varieties are hard to come by commercially, but cheese in Finland doesn't suck, unless you only go for the mass-produced shit-tier havarti-style stuff, or god forbid, 'Arkijuusto'. Never skimp on cheese in Finland, my friend. Also, if you take a look at the recipe, it's fundamentally not that complicated to make that particular cheese. Trial and error is all it takes. If it tastes good, it tastes good.

One really traditional vendace dish involves basically just frying up some bacon and chopped onion, layering the mixture and the fish in a dutch oven along with black peppercorns and salt. Then just cover the top with a layer of bacon and add just a bit of water to keep the stuff from burning. Like 2 dl for 600 g of fish. You put that in the oven at 175 degrees centigrade for an hour, take it out, add some dill and eat it with boiled potatoes and dark rye bread. Might work with other similar fish.

Fish
Cock

youtube.com/watch?v=LlSox8M322U

>Dude. There's plenty of good cheese in Finland.

Yes, but just said what I think, "home cheese" will be disappointment. It's just chewwy weird texture salty milk taste. The traditional cheeses are pretty weird, just saing.

As of 2016, we indeed have plenty of good domesatically made cheeses though their styles are international.

Cured ham hock boiled for a few hours.
Mashed carrots, rutabaga and potatoes.
Mustard.

Pancake with pork belly, made in oven.
Served with lingonberry jam.

New potatoes, egg sauce and pickled herring.

I suggest making fenalår. Fenalår is very popular in Norway and often served on holidays.

Ingredients:
-Leg of lamb or mutton
-salt

Directions:
1. Massage out the blood. Start from the thin part of the leg and work your way upwards. There are two blood vessels in the middle of the inside of the thigh and one on each side. The more blod you remove the better the final product will taste.

2. Wash meat with cold water and dry with paper-towels.

3. Add enough salt so it cover the the bottom of a container.

4. Rub salt all over the leg and push it into the salt in the container.

5. Cover with salt.

6. Put it in the fridge and leave it for 0.6-1 day per kilo of meat.

7. Remove the leg from the salt and brush of all the salt.

8. Put a grate or som sticks at the bottom of the container and place the leg on top. Put the leg and container back in the fridge. The temperature should be 3 to 4 degrees C.

9. Leave it in the fridge for 14 to 45 days. The longer you leave it the more “fenalår” taste the meat will develop. If mold appears, wash it off with brine or vinegar.

10. The fenalår is usually dried at a relative humidity between 69 to 76 percent and a temperature of between 12 and 18 degrees. Duration of drying varies, but between 60 and 90 days are usual. The Fenalår is completed when the weight is reduced by 30-40%.

Time: 120 days
Difficulty: Fuckin' Easy

...And you can use fenalår to make brennsnut, which is another super-easy dish.

BRENNSNUT

about 1/2 lb meat (preferably from fenalår/mutton or some sort of salty meat)

1 kielbasa sausage

6 potatoes, cubed

2 carrots, sliced

1 medium rutabaga, cubed

1/2 leek, sliced thin

1 1/4 quart water (or stock cooked on the mutton ribs)

2 tsp salt

2 bouillon cubes (if you don’t have the above mentioned stock)

In a large stock pot, cook the mutton meat in water for a couple of hours until the meat starts to loosen from the bones. Clean the meat off the bones and dice it (remove bones from soup). Add the vegetables into the meat stock, or into the water with the bouillon cubes if you don’t have the stock. Add the meat and the sausage and heat through. When everything is combined, add the egg buns.

Egg buns:

2 eggs

1 tbsp sugar

1 1/4 cup milk

all purpose flour

Mix eggs, sugar and milk and whisk until combined. Add enough flour to create a sufficiently firm dough. Using a spoon, shape into round balls and add into the brennsnut, let it simmer on low heat for about 10-12 minutes until cooked through.

Oh, ho!

I didn't know this process for lamb, but I know it for reindeer. The traditional way for the "dangling" phase is in early spring when the temperature gets above freezing at day and below at night, that way all the moisture gets driven off from the meat really efficiently and it wont get moldy.

While I agree in part, I still love the hell out of spices.

I think that traditional Sami goikebiergu isn't salted.

Kuivaliha/kapaliha is, though, isn't it?

hmmm
hmmm
>There's an amazing spectrum of dairy in Nordic countries
There we go

>If you want meat or fish dishes, I'd suggest Karelian stew
>Karelian stew
>It is commonly prepared using a combination of pork and beef, but lamb can also be used.
>The hot pot is usually seasoned with black peppercorns and salt.
>Common vegetables such as carrot, onion, and root vegetables are acceptable additions to the stew.
>Due to the scarceness of meat in the past, the hot pot was traditionally only prepared for festive occasions.
Is food this bland even possible?

>Is food this bland even possible?

It's not bland at all when you have good fresh vegetables and meat. This recipe dates from well before the advent of flavorless supermarket produce.

Also, it's from a cold northern climate--why would you expect a lot of spices? You want a spicebomb, go somewhere warm where those spices actually grow.

BEND OVER SLAVE

>Is food this bland even possible?
Apparently.

At the elder times the yearly salt consumption around here was gajillion kilograms per person, but then the link with heart disease was found out.

See any traditional Nordic recipe, you can easily quadruple the amount of salt to get close to original.

>If mold appears
>wash it off
That's not how mold works... Once you see it on the surface its already deep enough that even if you could cut it out, you shouldn't even risk it.

Says someone with zero experience curing hams.

You're parroting a safety rule that you misunderstood. Your intentions are good, your knowledge is not.

idiot

Wait so you can still wash it off?

Svensk Polseret
SWEDISH HOT DOG STEW

Is it any good? Looks pretty tasty.

So very Nordic pizza.

>salmon
>tuna
>pickled herring (onion)
>mushroom (cantharelle)
>red onion
>egg
>cream cheese ("koskenlaskija")
>pickle.

Well that's pretty natural dish everywhere where people eat potatoes.

Historieätarna.

Has anyone ever tried the gravad lax from Ikea? I've never had authentic gravad lax, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to taste like, and whether or not the one I make is correct.

>Ikea
I'm not going there, no, you won't get me alive! Fuck you and your chipboard furniture!

Gravlax is really simple to do at home.
youtube.com/watch?v=YUHQb741WSg
sweden.se/culture-traditions/gravad-lax/