Skill development in fast food

I'm considering spending the fall in the field of fast food cookery in hopes of improving my skills before entering culinary school in Spring of 2017.

To me it makes perfect sense:

>earn a competitive wage in a fast paced work environment
>learn the ins and outs of the grill and fryer
>explore basic sanitation and proper kitchen habits
>selectively source edible vegtables
>learn about the profit margins of selling soda to customers

Has anyone followed this pasta before? In my opinion, the logic is flawless.

haha you get no skill development in fast food. It won't teach you to cook what so ever. All you do is heat up ingredients and throw shit together.

If you learn something significant in the kitchen from a fast food job, life might not be for you.

Just go dishwash at some fine dining place, you'll learn more.

>>earn a competitive wage in a fast paced work environment
>>learn the ins and outs of the grill and fryer
>>explore basic sanitation and proper kitchen habits
>>selectively source edible vegtables
>>learn about the profit margins of selling soda to customers

As a chick-fil-a employee, let me explain to you what it's actually like
>learn nothing at all about cooking
>do learn how to move your ass for extended periods of time

You will learn nothing, and will gain no noteworthy experience, other than, as I stated, the ability to move your ass for 8 hours at a time.

Well While Chick-Fil-A might be just chicken and as such, you won't learn how to handle lots of ingredients.

I was considering Boston Market or Honey Baked Ham for employment. Their selection is made fresh and they have respectable hours

OP is a faggot. Stay away from all restaurants as long as you live. You have no chance of eeeeeever being a skilled culinarian. Go into retail and save yourself and us the misery of another douchbag in the kitchen.

>I was considering Boston Market or Honey Baked Ham for employment. Their selection is made fresh and they have respectable hours

If by made fresh, you mean "opened from a container and dumped in hot trays."

Or "taken off the back of a refrigerated truck and put in a deli case."

There are no fast food restaurants that prepare food on site other than reheating or combining (plating if it can even be calld that) precooked ingredients.

says the dude who never worked at a fast food place

Get a job at McDs
You won't get no competitve wage OP, but you will learn how actual restaurants work in a way, you will learn how to be fast, you will learn the opening and closing procedures, you will learn how shity some co workers can be and how shitty some suppliers can be, how shitty costumers can be, I recommended it, everyone should try it once.

>sanitation
Your local mcdonalds will be cleaner and better organized than most restaurants, that is a statement of fact.

I can confirm, some people working there for over ten years still fuck up basic shit like making my order right.
If they chose to work a kitchen instead now they would be cooking next to a cheff

OP here, I am going to challenge some of your thinking. Working in fast food would offer ample chances to learn to cook with meat.

>applying and managing meat to the red hot flames of a flame broiler
>working with seafood and a hot frier
>warming eggs on a griddle

These have to be valuable skills in the professional cooking world.

Speaking from experience, line cooking will teach you far more cooking and basic restaurant skills and pay substantially more than a low end fast food job. Much more respectable too.

So basically, Applebee's or Outback is a better option.

>There are no fast food restaurants that prepare food on site other than reheating or combining (plating if it can even be calld that) precooked ingredients.

wendys cooks their burgers fresh. he could learn how to cook a burger. not form one maybe, but cook one.

>dat cashier

I'd ask his recommendation, he seems legit.

take the job just to learn what not to do.

The only skill you might learn is working a line and getting food out in a timely manner
But really it's not worth it

I hear that after closing most fast food employees hang out afterwards!
That sounds like a fun time

>flipping burger
>culinary school

there's you problem OP. However I usually give advice to people with basic comprehensive abilities. You're retarded, so I fear my efforts will be wasted.

/thread
also checked

I think you have the wrong take-away from working a fast food restaurant. As I don't think you'll gain any real valuable skills in the kitchen other than the fact that it may not be to your liking and may deter you from wasting your time and money pursuing a career in the hospitality industry.

Try working a double shift on a Friday manning the deep fryer, while all your friends are out drinking, partying and having fun. Look deep inside and ask yourself is this what you want to be doing for the rest of your life? Whether you spend all day peeling and chopping vegetables, gutting and scaling fish, deboning chicken, etc. This will be your life for the foreseeable future, and if the dream hasn't died after working at Applebee's than I say go for it.

I've worked at Subway and Einsteins in the past.

>earn a competitive wage in a fast paced work environment
>learn the ins and outs of the grill and fryer
>explore basic sanitation and proper kitchen habits
>selectively source edible vegtables
>learn about the profit margins of selling soda to customers
is this a meme?