Can someone explain the kids meal meme to me...

Can someone explain the kids meal meme to me? My parents always got me a small portion of something off the actual menu instead of nuggets or some other crap. If you don't give kids a choice, they won't be picky eaters.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TqxDY2_gySo
youtube.com/watch?v=bERGLaj_gVc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Some kids are very picky eaters, so family friendly restaurants have a special ghetto section of the menu to accommodate them.

>If you don't give kids a choice, they won't be picky eaters.

Nature vs nurture. I didn't eat a lot of things as a child, when I grew up my parents were pickier than I was.

Kids are fucking retarded and a large percentage of parents were never suitable to raise children

Yeah, I got adult food too, I have seen some really ethnic restaurants offer 2 or 3 generic dishes for people who don't like "wierd food" but kids menu is just trashy

Nearly all the restaurants in America offer shitty microwaved tendies, burgers, and shit like Apple slices for little dick kids
My brother is fucking 14 nearly 15 and he only gets tendies at any restaurant because of these fucking things

Yeah this is what retards believe. I was forced to eat things I hated as a kid, both made by my parents and in restaurants and I hated them each time and today I till hate them.
You will change your mind when you have your own kids susie, you will end up making chicken nuggets both for the kid and yourself

You sound like you were and still are a snot nosed brat

millenials, ladies and gentlemen

My ex-boyfriend's two brothers are like this. The older one is going 19 or 20, I forget, and the younger is around 12. Their mother literally has to keep a chest freezer full of processed frozen crap because it's all they eat.

There's this amazing, really authentic pizza place about 5 minutes from their house. One time when I was staying over, my ex and I went on a pizza run. The older one asked for a plain calzone (which I took to mean margherita). He practically threw a tantrum when he got a bit of basil because he doesn't like 'that green, healthy shit.'

btw, yes, I am a girl.

Why? I ate them and didn't complain even tho I hated having to.
Today im an adult and i get to pick what I eat so I'm never having that shit again.
>Calling me a milenial
How many kids have you raised?
Or do you just know better because your college professor have you high grades in exchange for blowjobs?
Truth is no matter how you cook, disguise or prepare it se foods are just not good for kids. The way you experience flavours change a lot when you grow up, that's why adults don't eat candy either

Nice maymay. No, I'm not.

You may not be a woman but you sure sound like a cunt, good for your ex getting away from you

Yes you are

How so?

He eats processed frozen crap and you hurt his feelings.

>Today im an adult and i get to pick what I eat so I'm never having that shit again.
I'm from a family of picky eaters like you, and getting out on my own was fucking great because there were so many great things to try that simply never would have ended up on the table growing up.

There is still hope, regardless of your shitty attitude. My brother turned around on most vegetables by the time he was 30. My mother decided eggplant was fucking delicious sometime in her 50's.

But my poor sister had her love of cooking trashed by giving birth to three fussy as shit kids. Oddly when they're with me they'll eat all kinds of things they would never touch at home. That leads me to believe that taste is a malleable thing, and being a fussy eater is less about really finding these foods disgusting, just using the fact that they're not your favorites as an excuse to assert your will. Because in cultures where food is a huge part of the culture (Italy, France) you don't see kids acting like that, because it's simply not an option.

I think poor adults order from the kids menu because it's cheaper.

I'm not a picky eater, I eat tons of different shit, I just hate the food I was forced to eat as a kid when I still didn't have a developed palate to enjoy them

>that's why adults don't eat candy

What.

Maybe because there is a difference between not enjoying thing like vegetables and not being able to eat some things because you can't tolerate bitter or sour as well as an adult?

I mean the kind of garbage that only kids can eat

Well good. Anyone his age who prefers processed shit deserves to have his feelings hurt.

How is their garbage different from our garbage?

Did you drink beer often as a kid?

Very few of us did. But not because it was garbage or we didn't like it.

Beer isn't candy.

It's weird because at home hell at least eat other things (kinda) and if I make something hell take a Crack at it but in every restaurant he won't even get a hamburger it's always tendies
At least it's cheap I guess

I grew up with 2 of my brothers being picky-as-shit eaters. The eldest only ate carbs and cheese for the first 18 years of his life, adding in eggs after that. The second of the two almost exclusively ate cereal and frozen garbage, and still does into adulthood. My little brother and I ate a much wider variety of foods. It was pretty much no mushrooms for both of us (which I got into later) and no spicy foods for him. Needless to say, my parents were not too happy about my older brothers not eating what they cooked.

Beer tastes like lightly carbonated piss though

My point is in a food culture where some things are just not that good it's easy to see why you're resentful about having been forced to eat them as a kid, and thus won't bother with them as an adult. Frozen vegetables boiled and topped with butter is easily enough to turn someone off vegetables, as is salad from a bag topped in ranch dressing. But that doesn't mean those vegetables are disgusting, it just means presenting them that way is.
>you can't tolerate bitter or sour
If you make it to adulthood without being able to tolerate bitter and sour I question your food experiences along the way. Because it seems to me like you missed some shit.

cheap light beer does, dark beer doesnt. dark beer is actually fantastic. most light beers are really shit. i do enjoy miller genuine draft, however, because it tastes darker than it is.

you are a moron, a dense asinine moron at it.
The reality is that children dont have the same taste as andults for the same reason they are tiny and cant do complex math.
Sure feeding them only cornddofs is wrong but so is making them eat stuff they cant phisycally enjoy no matter how many times you feed it to them or how you cook it.
Also stop being such a cunt, you never raised a kid. You are every bit as insufferable as single moms demanding the whole earth bends over to acomodate her

>If you make it to adulthood without being able to tolerate bitter and sour
i grew into it you bitch, one day i ate pickles and eggs in vinager and loved them, i was 15 and i had hated them all through my childhood up until that point, why dont you tie a candy bar high enough that only a fully grown adult can reach and tell a kid he can have it when he can reach it to make him taller?

This thread just reminds me of a time when I was either 9 or 10. I believe it was New Year's Eve and me and my family were at this really nice lakeside upscale restaurant outside of the city we live in. The manager himself was taking our orders because the place was a full house all evening.

He gave me the shittiest look of intrigue and confusion when I pushed aside the kid's menu and ordered the prime rib dinner. He even confirmed that I didn't want anything on the kid's menu and instead wanted the beef. He was even more surprised when I asked for a baked potato as opposed to steak fries.

I guess most just expect kids in America to be screaming shitheads that only want tendies and nuggers with mac and cheese and a chocolate milk. Idk I always ordered off the adult menu from like 9+ and when I had leftovers either my dad or I would eat them later. It's kind of weird because as an adult I now am more prone to ordering shit like tenders and fries than I was.

I still got love for the kids menu, Veeky Forums.

Nothin' wrong with chicken fingers if they're done well. I'll pass on the freezer-aisle spongemeat, though.

Made a whole heap of terragon panko chicken fingers fried in peanut oil served with some lemon aioli and some garlic aioli for a bunch of seniors citizens at a catering gig, and from the resulting praise, I'm pretty sure that you never grow out of the kids menu.

no all beer tastes like shit. my ex was obsessed with beer, constantly trying different kinds. i didn't like any of them.

anyone says that they drink alcohol for the taste is a liar.

"I can't understand why people enjoy something that I don't like, so they're all lying."

>this logic

Here's a video explaining the history of "kids menus": youtube.com/watch?v=TqxDY2_gySo

>"It's nothing personal, I'm Jewish."

Everyone in this video is a shithead.
That fucking manager for being slimy as fuck and the camera guy for being autistic and demanding chicken nuggets at the age of 25.

Look at his other videos, he just likes making a fool of himself for views.
youtube.com/watch?v=bERGLaj_gVc

Beer tastes like garbage even though I drink it for 16 hours a day. Defending it is futile. There is almost no good beer around and if you aren't gagging after a sip, you aren't an american.

ITS SO YOU CAN FEED YOU KIDS WITHOUT MAKING THEM INTO FAT FUCKS

Its a Veeky Forums post, not a thesis paper.

That video holy shit.
>pour $7 beverage all over yourself

Shut the fuck up retard.

White people treat their kids like neoteric middle aged people instead of kids. Fast forward 20 years and you have an actual neoteric middle aged person who is afraid of food that's not boneless and skinless, you can tell who these people are because they list their religion as "Christian" as if that's self explanatory, or better yet "Buddhist" because they've never met an actual Buddhist and think this makes them seem cultured.

Meanwhile they hurl abuse at us for teaching our kids how to eat adult foods, teaching adult habits like self control and discipline, but when we're more successful than them it's because we're mindless robots and higher education is just left wing propaganda.

tl;dr this is why you're not a winner. not feminism or the Jews

what in the literal fuck are you even going on about

Sorry, my swipe keyboard turned "neurotic" into "neoteric", I can see how that might have made the whole thing inscrutable as an oriental

I raised two kids, AND grew up in a family of picky eaters. I know very fucking well that some kids have absolute shit taste. My older son went through a phase where he refused to eat any identifiable vegetable matter, and used his allowance to buy soda and junk food. He ended up pudgy and constipated all the time. I told him the reason you're pudgy and constipated is because you eat like shit, and when you stop doing that your body will go back to normal. He started to lose his tate for shit like Domino's pizza around the time he developed an interest in girls, and in a little while he was no longer pudgy and constipated. Funny how that works. The younger one always ate what I put in front of him, and never got fat.
Duh, your tastes can change at any point in your life. My mother decided she likes eggplant sometime in her 50's, after thinking it was disgusting for most of her life. My point is YOU have some control over this. As a child I hated cilantro. Then I realized I liked the kinds of food the stuff was likely to appear in. So I acclimated myself to it over a few months. Now I love the stuff. Went through the same thing with eggplant, okra, fresh dill and fava beans.

When it comes to your taste in food you do not have to be passive about it. You can cultivate a taste for practically anything you want. Yes, it's easier to do when you've outgrown the childhood aversion to sour and bitter things. But that passes for most people by puberty. Some folks just hang on to it because they've decided they don't like particular foods and that fussy-ness is part of their identity. I view that with contempt. It's my beloved mother's biggest character flaw.

Actually those people are more likely to list their religion as atheist but pretend like they've always been Christian when it's convient for them.

If you're talking about the U.S. only 3% of the population lists their religion as atheist. More people consider themselves vegetarian than atheist.

I know plenty of adults who still enjoy candy.

>I guess most just expect kids in America to be screaming shitheads that only want tendies and nuggers with mac and cheese and a chocolate milk
I think it's the parents that exacerbate it if they suck at cooking or don't let their kids try different things, they just get complacent with giving their kids the same junk food every day.

Like at work two co-workers were complaining about a Christmas party they were going to because the family member preparing it was making a bunch of food they had never eaten before (spicy pumpkin chili, lion's head meatballs, sangchu-geotjeori etc) and the one with a kid said that she'd bring a package of fries and chicken nuggets for her son so he wouldn't have to eat anything else there. And then she said she'd bring extra for herself and her husband too.

>Spicy Pumpkin chili
I'd eat that up

>bring a package of fries and chicken nuggets for her son so he wouldn't have to eat anything else there. And then she said she'd bring extra for herself and her husband too.
I knew an Irish family that bought frozen pizza for their kids while visiting in-laws in France, because both they and their kids were terrified of French food!

I agree with that 100%. When I was a kid I ate the same thing that my parents (and other adults around us) ate. Tendies or the "kid's menu" wasn't even an option.

I think a lot of the problem is that people incorrectly assume that all kids are picky eaters when in fact that's not necessarily true.

I don't think that's the case. The restaurant isn't assuming all kids are picky eaters with shit taste. They're just making the kid's menu as lowest common denominator as possible, because plenty of kids are.

I remember when I was a kid the kid's menu looked boring as fuck to me, and I never ordered from it. To my picky ass brother it was salvation.

so you are some old post menospausic cunt, kudos for actually having a couple kids but dont think it scores you any points because you are evidently one of those horrible parents kids can never get far enough from.
The younger kid was probably scared because all the fighting and yelling in your ghetto home, i have seen it before. We all have that relative with those kids, i feel sorry for him the same way i feel sorry for my tounger cousin having to put up with a monumental amount of bullshit, at least they tend to do better later in life

Yeah I would've too, they were being dicks about it but I played nice and told them to at least try the chili because spicy pumpkin tastes god-tier.

Oh, I agree with that 100%. I wasn't talking about why the restaurant sells what they sell. The kids's menu makes perfect sense: low price, small portion, lowest-common-denominator food for the picky kids. The kids who aren't picky can always order off the main menu.

I was mentioning how I think that some kids end up being picky eaters simply because their parents ASSUME that they will be, and therefore don't feed them any variety or "adult foods".

Huh?

did you just say you spent 16 hours a day drinking something you dont like. get off the best board you prepubescent stain on the world

>kids end up being picky eaters simply because their parents ASSUME that they will be
That's usually because the parents were picky kids themselves, or grew up in a family with picky eaters. The memory of what a pain in the ass my brother was growing up left me with no desire to lock horns with my oldest son when he decided he wasn't going to eat recognizable vegetable matter. Fuck that. If he wanted to put the effort into picking out the vegetables from whatever was on his plate he was welcome to do so. I wasn't going to go much out of my way to accommodate him, though. And even taking his shit taste into account just a little bit kinda fucked up my cooking for a few years. Thankfully he did grow out of it, just like my brother did (for the most part).

Would you rather spend $5 and order something you know a small child will like or spend $13 on actual food and have them do nothing but pick at it until it's time to go? Some kids are adventurous waters but many are not, even if they're not very picky.

*tips fedora*

I understand, OP. My parents never ordered off a kid's menu for me or my siblings when we were growing up. We ordered off the main menu, sometimes my sister and I would share a plate, when we were really young, but we never ordered "kid" food. My parents also made a habit of taking us to all sorts of different restaurants and cuisines, so we'd learn to have a broad palate. Mom did the same at home. I vividly remember a New Year's Eve when I was 5 and having caviar with blini, duck liver pate, and raw oysters. There were other things there too, but those three I remember the most because it was the first time I'd tried those.

This is the reason kids menus exist. To attract people with children without the parents/caretakers being afraid of wasting money if the kid doesn't like something. It assumes kids are picky eaters, and as some other posts in this thread have shown, ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy. The solution is to give the kid all sorts of different food at home and not baby them. Kids will try (and end up not hating) a lot of food when the choice is dinner or nothing.

>this guy has a girlfriend
>i don't

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N