Government liquor monopoly peer help thread

Government liquor monopoly peer help thread.

>That feel when a standard drink of the cheap beers, ciders, breezers, wines, bumb wines or spirits cost exactly the same.
>Cheap in quotation marks here, a 0.7 of vodka has, does and always will cost the "3 hour salary of a construction worker".
>That feel when about 40 different beers and 40 different wines available - nation wide. They can order fancier stuff for you, though.
>That feel when anything that is not a domestic knock-off or straight out vodka costs premium.

I live in Ontario. You know nothing of government liquor monopoly until you've dealt with the LCBO.

>everything is overpriced AND has a heavy tax slapped on it
>most locations have a very limited selection
>can't have alcohol shipped to you from out of Canada
>can order things the LCBO doesn't carry through the LCBO, but you have to order by the case (so it's fucking silly unless you own a bar)
>most locations close at 9:00, 6:00 on Sundays
>closed on holidays. Hope you stocked up beforehand for your Canada Day party

Quebec here I'm sad you're stuck with LCBO. The SAQ isn't that bad.

The LCBO is just one more reason why Ontario (especially Toronto) is complete fucking shit.

I'm a bartending and mixology guy. I love it. It's one of my passions. I often bartend events and parties for my friends. Half the time, I can't make the drinks I want because the LCBO has decided to stop stocking something I need. LCBO doesn't have it? Well, I guess you're fucked, then, because you can't get booze anywhere else.

It's fucking ridiculous and people here and such weak little status-quo faggots that they won't do anything to try to change it.

Why not just drive to the states and buy a ton of booze?

Because you're only allowed to bring back about 1.2 litres before they start charging you duties. If you get more than a few bottles, it'll wind up costing you like 100.00 or more in fees.

Plus, it's kind of a pain in the ass to drive to the US all the time.

They'd try to order in French and get laughed out of the store.

Not an option considering the state of Canadian currency.

I don't really know that feel, I'm more of a wine person so I couldn't know what they stop stocking. There's also the fact if one store has it they can deliver to your local store for free in a week if the purchase is over a certain amount.

Canadian border patrol will search your vehicle and demand "duty" for anything you bought. They might just confiscate the booze instead though.

Just fill your trunk with booze and drive it across. This is like basic trailer park boys shit. How do you not know this?

In New Hampshire 1 liter of vodka is $5.30. Is that too much for your funny money?

They won't confiscate it if you declare it, you'll just have to pay a ton in duties on it. If you try to sneak it through without declaring it, then yeah, they'll confiscate it, and possibly arrest you to boot.

The other issue, of course, is that the uSD is worth like 30% more than the CAD right now, so between the exchange rate and duties, it'd be extremely expensive.

Yeah, it's basic stuff until you get caught, have everything confiscated, charged with smuggling, and added to the search list so they automatically search you every time you cross the border.

Not worth the risk.

But you should know that you Ontarians such weak willed animals that you simply cannot have nice things. The goverment is doing a favour for you by gauging THE PRICE AND THE AVAILABILITY (tm) of alcohol.

>In New Hampshire 1 liter of vodka is $5.30. Is that too much for your funny money?

Fuck me with a rake, it's like $30 here.

NSLC is about as bad desu.
Only difference is they've graciously allowed one or two speciality wine stores to import a handful of expensive bottles NSLC doesn't stock.

I mean it's shit vodka but it's cheap.

I don't know the brand but we do pay more on comparable, the 750ml bottle of smirnoff would be about 17$ vs the 13$ you'd pay (this is in converted burger price). If there's one problem with the SAQ is that they usually don't handle lower quality alcohol.

This, I can get a handle of bottom shelf "vodka" for about ten ameri-bux here in Washington state. It's absolute shit, but it will get you drunk.

try the UDABC in Utah.

>Grocers can only sell beer and need a limited liquor license to do so
>Grocers and bottled beer purchased in bars cannot be higher than 3.2% (4% by volume)
>Cannot import liquor without a license
>Special orders take 2 months to import
>Liquor stores state run and limited to one for every 30,000 people
>Liquor store hours from 11:00AM to 7:00PM monday to saturday
>Closed sunday
>Prices gouged out by the church, state, and county (10-20% increase in price)
>Alcoholic drinks cannot be prepared in public view to protect children
>Cannot purchase kegs for events

It's called the Zion curtain here

Well obviously, you don't fucking pay flat 0.4555 € for each cl of pure ethanol. For an 0.7 of 40 % vodka, that would be 12.75 €. Also add standard rate VAT of 24% and let's not forget 0.1 € of bottle deposit.

Meaning, cheap vodkas go around 18-20€

why the fuck would anyone chose to live in that god forsaken place (other than mormons?)
and Canada... You fags are just FUCKED

i'm here for the growing tech industry and cheap housing. Helps that I don't drink much but laws like that just make it annoying.

Though technically we do pay less for non-american wine per bottle I guess.

u jelly of my freedom?

it's not our fault, its the Dyke running the show. No one voted for her, she just inherited the position and she should be in prison along with the rest of the liberals. As latest as Friday, the Auditor General said they are refusing to co-operate in handing over information they're asking for.
They tax the hell out of everything and then use the money to make washrooms for trannys

you can buy beer in grocery stores???? They only just allowed that as of 1 month ago In Ontario...AND it's only at like 5 stores...One of which is right by the Premiers house...conspiracy.

California here
I don't have access to stuff like everclear but that's about it. Holy fucking shit I can't believe some of the stuff in this thread

>Ontario government
Not to be /pol/ but ontario is the biggest shit hole in NA, the only reason they aren't fucked is that they suck their jew master so well they didn't call their debt yet.

It's common in Murrica, even in the South you can find beers in big grocery stores. But for anything harder you have to go to the ABC stores.

I sure do love monopolies on consumer goods!

Most of our grocers have a part of the store dedicated to beer and cheap wines.
t. Quebec

>you can buy beer in grocery stores?
Wat. You can't? My state allows selling of liquor in grocery stores. I'm in a grocery store right now and there's an Everclear bottle 3 ft from me.

>tfw I can buy beer, liquor and wine at grocery stores without restriction.

Based WA

>Go into thread
>Oh wow, I didn't realise these eastern european countries had such huge restrictions, this must be
>It's north america

No offense, but where the hell are your damn freedoms?

There's posters like this which is insane, especially the part where he blames the jews (no jew would be daft enough to live in Utah), tax problems like this circumventing any way of dealing with it and there's something called everclear which I just looked up and seems to be the opposite end of the damn scale. 95 fucking percent?

Here's me thinking I had problems because I couldn't identify jules theuriet triple sec curacao on the internet, as I have this bottle of it which they apparently don't sell.

Hail brittania I guess.

Are you stupid? Mormons think Utah is Zion. It has nothing to do with the jews.

That's... surprisingly a lot like Norway, except we close the liquor store 3 PM Saturdays, and you can get kegs just fine.

Yeah but our taxes are some of the highest in the country. Fucking sin tax.

Based Idaho liquor is cheap as fuck. I live on stateline and save so much just crossing over.

Brit, remember. Utah springs to mind Salt lake, salt lake city, those wierd marriage and pregnancy laws etc.

Doesn't exactly sound like Zion to me especially after the law investigation. But good to know, thanks I guess.

You could always ferment your own, and if you're gutsy, start a still. But that's illegal around here.

>jules theuriet triple sec curacao
Is it a orange curacao bottle? or really a triple sec?

>live in CA
>24 hour liquor stores
>alcohol sales have to be paused from 2 AM to 6 AM (but you can find clerks that don't give a shit)
>liquor in grocery stores
>liquor in pharmacies
>liquor in gas stations and convenience stores
>some of the lowest liquor taxes in the country
This would be fucking great except

>Maximum alcohol content is 75.5%
>Everclear has to be 151 proof instead of 190 proof
>same for high-proof rums

It's easier to grasp if you think of America as a conglomeration of fifty different law systems in one godforsaken union. States used to be their own independent republics...

Anyways, I'm about 75% sure the Jule Theuriet is a special label for Edmond-Briottet export, it doesn't really make any sense otherwise.

just move to nevada, everything's legal there

Except 190 proof liquor...

I'm jelly of anyone who isn't stuck in Toronto

This. Wynn is a fucking disaster. She should never have been in power, and once again, the fuckwits here won't do anything about it.

I really wish I wasn't stuck in this fucking city because of my career.

I've been to Toronto and I thought it was bizarre the way they sold alcohol (stayed right in the middle of the city and still had to walk a few kilometres to find a liquor store, and everything was the same price), never realised it was this bad though holy shit.

New Brunswick has a beer fridge in every grocery store and gas station, branded as "agencies" of the ANBL.

>>most locations close at 9:00, 6:00 on Sundays
The bigger locations close at 10, Weston closes at 11.
Also why the fuck do you need to buy liquor past 9pm? You have plenty of time to get shit you lazy fuck. However the complaints over pricing is valid, I'd care less if the money it generates actually went into provincial surplus and good programs and not into Wynne's financial black hole from climate change garbage to SJW re-education.
However I'm glad shit is changing and grocers are gonna be able to possibly force prices to go down once they start getting the ability to sell wine and eventually spirits.
>Half the time, I can't make the drinks I want because the LCBO has decided to stop stocking something I need
Examples? Most of the time its because there's barely any demand for it from normalfags so the LCBO doesn't bother ordering any because it would just end up on clearance since nobody bought it. If they fulfilled your request to bring in the ones you wanted they'd have to order an entire case, so if you only get 1-2 the taxpayer has to pay for the other 22 and it gets clearance. It doesn't happen because the system they run is fucked but also the demographic isn't right, however which area are you generally in because most rare shit would be likely found at Queens Quay and Summerhill.

t. LCBO employee from 2011

I live 5 minutes from the Summerhill location. They quite often don't have what I need.

For example, I do a shot at parties that uses root beer schnapps. Root beer vodka doesn't work because it's too high in alcohol content and tastes different (and the LCBO doesn't carry that anymore, anyway).

I understand why the LCBO doesn't stock things, but if other retailers were able to sell liquor, they would be able to stock more specialized products that the LCBO didn't. This is the problem. The LCBO not carrying everything is fine, the fact that there are no alternatives is the problem.

As for why I'd need to buy liquor past 9:00 (and you're right, Summerhill is open until 10:00), sometimes I wind up meeting up with some friends, we're not planning on drinking and then decide we want to. Maybe meet a girl at an event someone and talk her into coming back to my place, maybe I'm running low on something. Who knows? Doesn't happen often, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to get booze late if I need to for whatever reason.

>live in Illinois
>can buy all types of alcohol in gas stations and grocery stores, in addition to liquor stores
>bar every other block
Everything else about this state may be terrible, but at least they let us get drunk easily.

Eastern Europen countries are actually pretty chill with alcohol.

I could live fine with the monopoly, but the booze-pen rules in public events are shit.

Well boo-hoo. Here you can get only 60%, in 0.2 l bottles.

>New Zealand
>everything is imported, so there's import tax on it
>We have a general sales tax, so there's that on it too
>We have another incremental tax for volume of alcohol, so that get's stacked ontop of it too
>every hard liquor has the same price
>the only things made in this country are piss tier microbrews and a billion memeciders
Every hard liquor is like, 30USD per liter for bottom of the barrel.
It sucks ass.

Curacao: Triple sec

It's clear not orange.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to kill anyone with some joker's idea of knockoff booze.

Fair enough. I don't mind the fact that rum is limited to 75.5 percent mind you, as I reckon anything higher would just taste like pure ethanol.

>live in California
>super lax liquor laws
>travel to east coast
>sorry, we can only sell beer on Sundays, no liquor
>sorry, we have to close the bar at 10pm
>sorry, your out of state license doesn't count for proof of ID

All I know of in California is no alcohol sales between 2am-6am.

i like how in some of the midwest states there are drive thru liqour stores. lol, i try not to drink and drive but there comes a point...

>the one country in the entire first world where home distillation is legal

Allow me to play for you the world's smallest violin.

I live in New York, beer can be sold 24/7 and bars close at 4AM

what state was this

i remember onetime in new mexico
>at walmart before midnight
>buy a bottle of wine and get in checkout line
>>>only one of the checkout ques is allowed to sell alcohol. everyone is in that line
>line not moving, oh theres an old man in front, fucking old people
>wait like 15min
>70y.o wife comes hobbling in with her id
>THEY WOULDNT SELL ALCOHOL TO A 70Y.O COUPLE UNLESS THEY BOTH SHOW ID
>its like 12.05 by then and now they cant sell the old couple alcohol.. or the rest of us
i should have stuffed the bottle down my pants, there was enough bitching, irate fucks in that line that they wo09uldnt have noticed

hobbling in from the parkinglot*

>tfw drink beer every time since spirits are much more expensive to get drunk from, cider too
>open 10-19 on weekdays and 10-15 on Saturday's
>always far away unless you live in the center of town
At least we have a very good assortment of everything. It's probably even better than if we didn't have the monopoly. It's expensive as fuck but we'd probably have the same punishment-taxes without the monopoly too.

Also no sales ever

There's always the option of building a still.

I wonder why some areas have such restrictive sales hours still

Christfags implementing their version of Sharia law

The NH state liquor outlets are pretty good

t. Dartmouth student

Holy fuck just end yourself my man. I also heard you're only allowed to buy 2 beers in a bar over there. Seriously unless you got a polygamy thing going theres no reason to live there.

that's lame as fuck

>SAQ
I'm from Toronto and will be heading to Montreal for the weekend. Any recommendations on what to get?

Louisiana has 24-hour drive-through Daiquiri stands and liquor stores. You have to go to the non-commie states for freedoms.

Wine are extremely cheap even when considering the price of the dollar, everything else is hit or miss but the employees are actually useful when it come to guiding you if everything else fail.

That's for liability reasons. Murrica's freedom loving police departments pay people to go into places and try to purchase alcohol illegally in order to bust said business. Which has led to store making policies such as you ID must everyone regardless of appearance. Plus a lot of old people like to get IDed cause it makes them feel young.
Damn this thread and I though NY sucked but now I feel better. Here you can buy beer at any super market or store with no restriction on alcohol content or weak wine, max I think is 7-8%. You'd have to hit to liquor store for anything strong but there is no restriction on the alcohol content

>drive to manchvegas
>one supersized liquor store on one side of the highway
>another right on the other side

Uhhhh aside from LA the South is restrictive as fuck. Texas you can't buy booze on Sunday, Georgia you can't buy booze OR beer on Sunday, etc.

different region but minnesota has it bad, no beer or liquor sales on sunday (unless its growlers directly from a brewery)

I bought a 4 loko that was 14% alcohol from a convenience store and I live in New York
South Carolina is pretty lenient

And I thought Georgia was lenient too, it might be more restrictive in some counties

Nvm I read the beer part wrong, I didn't realize you were talking about wine

But NY is pretty good overall, bars don't have to close until 4AM and beer can be sold 24/7 with the exception of 3-8 Sunday morning

Or you have a North European wellfare state.

The tax is just getting higher and higher every year. Faster than the inflation is eating its value. At least for you American guys I'd imagine your booze tax is like your gas tax: holy, do not mention, all hell is loose, martial law in effect level of argument so no one dares to touch it.

And as said, I wouldn't mind the high taxes or monopoly stores and their limited selection, but the general bureaucratic comma-fucking that goes around if one wants to have public alcohol sale. I mean for christ's sake it should be better than people drink it socially in public and not alone in their homes.

Just would want to do for the booze-pen wall like they did for the wall in Berlin. "But user, how could we then police the open container laws?" -You could ditch those too, see problem solved. "But user, think of the children!" Like they wouldn't be seeing drunk people anyways if they went into the center at 2 AM at saturday,

y.t.

>This place arbirtrarily shuts down for six hours at midnight, the best time to get drunk.

also any tall boy can of beer that's not complete piss is $4 or more

The employees need that time to go get drunk themselves, obviously.

You need to learn to plan for the future. Always have at least an oh-seven in your house and know when to take it along with you.

More often than not it'll get spent, you know having it in backpack makes it burn your back.

4$ in whose dollars?