What are the best "budget" vegetables, and in what form? Want the most bang for buck, in terms of calories, vitamins...

What are the best "budget" vegetables, and in what form? Want the most bang for buck, in terms of calories, vitamins, minerals, etc.

spinach and broccoli and carrots :3
potatoes if you count those

toe nails grow in the dark and are tasty and free.

sprouts and cruciferous foods

Potatoes
Broccoli and cauliflower
Squash

If you want to save money, frozen vegetables are often cheaper. Though not always and they usually aren't quite as tasty as fresh.

Rolled oats and split peas for protein per dollar.

'Murrican here. Just want to say I fucking love mushy peas. Thanks bongland friends.

Carrots are my poverty vegetable.

>keep well in the fridge
>goes great in stews which can be cooked in batches and frozen

squash is cheap and easy. cube it and simmer it in miso or sake or both, mash it up to put in raviolis, or you can cut it into pork and beans to make it last longer and have a veggie. also good in thai currys.

Potatoes win out easy as far as calories go.

Spinach is a luxury veggie. Good stuff, but nowhere nearly as cost effective as other greens.
carrots
cabbage
greens (chard, kale, collards)
squashes (in season)
canned tomatoes
potatoes

Pretty much any root vegetable

Item Nutrient Density Score
Watercress 100.00
Chinese cabbage 91.99
Chard 89.27
Beet green 87.08
Spinach 86.43
Chicory 73.36
Leaf lettuce 70.73
Parsley 65.59
Romaine lettuce 63.48
Collard green 62.49
Turnip green 62.12
Mustard green 61.39
Endive 60.44
Chive 54.80
Kale 49.07
Dandelion green 46.34
Red pepper 41.26
Arugula 37.65
Broccoli 34.89
Pumpkin 33.82
Brussels sprout 32.23
Scallion 27.35
Kohlrabi 25.92
Cauliflower 25.13
Cabbage 24.51
Carrot 22.60
Tomato 20.37
Lemon 18.72
Iceberg lettuce 18.28
Strawberry 17.59
Radish 16.91
Winter squash 13.89
Orange 12.91
Lime 12.23
Grapefruit 11.64
Rutabaga 11.58
Turnip 11.43
Blackberry 11.39
Leek 10.69
Sweet potato 10.51
Grapefruit (white) 10.47

Calculated as the mean of percent daily values (DVs) (based on a 2,000 kcal/d diet) for 17 nutrients (potassium, fiber, protein, calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, zinc, and vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E, and K) as provided by 100 g of food, expressed per 100 kcal of food. Scores above 100 were capped at 100 (indicating that the food provides, on average, 100% DV of the qualifying nutrients per 100 kcal)

I'm a bit confused by your post. Is this ranked by nutrient density per unit mass, or per calorie? Because watercress is super low calorie, but going by weight, it isn't as nutrient dense as kale, for example

Huh?

Huh?

Por qué¿?

brocoli by a mile. 99c a lb. often. if you can get mushrooms for 2/dollars a lb or less, do that as well, theyre worth it.

squash, carrots, and leafy greens are all great supplamentary options

>best "budget" vegetables
>mushrooms for 2/dollars a lb
Who's gonna tell him?

Honestly, this bit is nonsense :

>as provided by 100 g of food, expressed per 100 kcal of food.

Also without taking into account costs it has little to do with what OP asked. to eat 100 kCal of watercress I'd have to spend 6 euro. Not a cheap meal.

At my local supermarket, kale/mustard/collard/chard/other greens are $1.49/lb, Spinach is $1.69/lb

I will pay that extra 20 cents per pound to not taste like bitter ass

>Chinese cabbage
Is that bok Choi?

Onion
Garlic
Carrot
Sweet and white potato (especially for calories)
Tesco Value mixed vegetables
Celery
>Red cabbage (35p/1400g at ALDI)

Greens. Even though they cook down, they're still really damn cheap and extremely nutritious to boot.

>Also without taking into account costs it has little to do with what OP asked. to eat 100 kCal of watercress I'd have to spend 6 euro. Not a cheap meal.

The problem is that OP asked for things which are contradictory to each other.

The cheapest vegetable in terms of calories is not the same as the cheapest vegetable in terms of nutritional content.

Watercress, for example, is horribly expensive when ranked by calories. However it's very very good from a vitamins & minerals perspective.

Those other greens only taste like bitter ass when they're under cooked.

naw its the stuff you use in kimchi which isn't round

Whats the sugar content of beet greens whenever I eat them I feel like Im fucked up on too much sugar afterward

>asking for information on shit that is incredibly regonal
price for veges varies greatly from place to place depending on what grows in your area, import costs and ETC. Save money by eating local and in season, just don't be stupid and spend a lot at organic farmers markets if the supermarket has cheaper (Which it does a lot of the time)

frozen veges are incredibly cheap, dont worry about brand because it all comes from the same field just go for price point. its flash frozen straight away so it keeps high nutritional value

shop for whats on sale, be aware of the prices around you, standard money saving shit any adult should do.

Broccoli, carrots and sweet potatoes - with some added protein you can basically live off of this.

carrots,potatoes,celery (root), onions,
any kind of root vegetable is good.
Also spinach.

Brussel sprouts sure feel like a vegetable that you can get a fuckload of.
I bought 2lbs of them for $4.00.
Toss them in a pot with butter, salt, and pepper and you've got a good meal.(otherwise forego the butter and just boil, salt and pepper to taste)

Don't boil your veggies, user. Show some respect.

Canned Green Beans, Peas, & Whole Kernel Corn.
Sacks of russet potatoes and white onions.
Green Cabbage.

I usually also stock up on these giant bags of frozen California Blends too.

Aldi do a 'super 6'. These week it sucks but last week it was pretty good.

this desu
spinach can be fairly expensive based on your location but it has more vitamin a, k, and calcium than you can possibly need

I keep seeing mushy peas with chips and either fish or a meat pie. Are the peas eaten with a utensil or do you dip the fries in them. I've read about them and only see what condiments are sometimes used with them (vinegar, etc.), never if they're put on pie, fish, chips or just forked up.