I turned 21 a few months ago and I really want to into wine...

I turned 21 a few months ago and I really want to into wine. My roommates have completely shit taste and only buy it in bulk to get fucked up.
How do I develop a sophisticated palette?

Buy only expensive oil paints. Take your time mixing and experimenting with them and the sophistication will come.

Not going to lie, I definitely chuckled.

people drink wine to get fucked up? Why not just get a 10$ handle of some shit vodka at that point

They sure as hell try. I get arbor mist sangria if I want a tasty hfcs sugar laden girly drink that will never get me drunk, it's beer otherwise.

Spending bank on ritzy wine doesn't improve your palette, drinking a variety of wine does.

If I was you I'd follow suit with your roommates and drink up. Develop a taste before blowing it on a hundred dollar bottle of piss.

>palette

Is this a meme now or is everyone just retarded.

Everyone's just retarded.

Try 8-15$ bottles of different types of wines from different regions and figure out what you like. Unless your roommates are buying Franzia or white zin, you can probably get a decent idea from the shit they're buying as well.
Side note, spending over 30$ for a bottle of wine for yourself is just jerking yourself off. If you have the money go for it, if not don't bother.

Box wine is the cheapest alcohol:$ ratio thing you can buy

What brand and cost do you get?
I was not aware boxed wine was alcoholism viable.
Do you drink tons? I stay at 100% all day every day, so I'm sketchy about wine actually getting me to where I want to be.

If you already don't enjoy the taste of wine I would suggest a couple things;

Eat complimentary food with a small amount of a new wine the first few times before trying to drink it straight.

Start with sweeter dessert wines, but old-world quality stuff not bottom shelf "sweet red/white/piss" shit. Sweet wine is way more palatable than Reds and Whites and they also have the benefit of being served in small dessert stems.

Dessert wines are good with sweets so you don't have to cook a nice meal. Try 5 year Madeira with yellow cake or anything really, Tawny port with nuts and fruity desserts, cream sherry with holiday desserts and anything with dried fruit. A Demi-sec champagne (both regular and pink rose) is good almost anytime and with anything. Easy to drink by itself.

Move to drier versions of these spirits when you get tired of the sweetness. Rainwater Madeira, dryer Port, Brut champagne and amontillado sherry will prepare you for smooth reds, whites, and fortified.

Make sure you are decanting when needed and keeping things at the right temps. Use the right glassware too you don't want to start bad habits.

Best way to develop your palette is to just tasting anything and everything. Don't discount something because it's cheap.

Keep notes of what you like and didn't like even if you don't know the term for the flavor just write something descriptive down.

Once you start putting together what you enjoy etc then you can start deep diving on the styles that appeal to you.

>I want to "into wine" so I can look down on people my age for drinking to get drunk
Future intolerable wine snob detected. If you want to be obnoxious get into beer, it's 2016 now we have the craft beer at least we're not the south. For best results get cicerone certification so you can bleat about how all hops that have been around for more than 6 months are obsolete garbage and alcohol levels below 12% are a sign of cost-cutting on the part of jewish controlled banks that own all of the large (>400 barrels a year) trash sellout breweries.

Actually drinking a variety of wine requires spending a bit, the bulk commodity wines (little penguin, etc) are all basically made according to the same principles and all tastes pretty much the same. You don't need to spend $100 a bottle to get varietal character and terroir but you aren't going to get them by setting spending limits either. For instance a 21 year old who can't afford his own place is probably not going to be able to enjoy a wide variety wine from different styles and regions, hence why he is going to spout a bunch of irrelevant "wine words" he doesn't even undrestand while sipping little penguin "pinot noir"

>Buying Franzia or White Zin
No sadly. It's usually:

>Hey user, [pic related] is on sale for 5 bucks per jug! Let's go buy 4 and see who can finish the most before passing out

To be fair, there's something fun about sipping on a jug of wine.

git gud at slapbag

Too bad I'm already intolerable now :^)

But in reality, thanks for the advice. Doubt I'll go the IPA route because I had a friend who was an IPA-fag and pretty much turned me off of all beer.
I'll take 's advice and go Dessert > Sweet Red/White > Dry Red/White > Smooth Red/White. I'll probably hop around a bit in order to prepare myself for higher quality stuff.

I've had Moscato a couple of times, but it seemed like a bitch drink to me. Best starter wine?

Red wine can taste pretty good though.

Take it slow. Try different stuff from a good grocery store. You can ignore prices for the most part but don't waste your time on that $4.99 bottle or the humongous jug of "chardonnay." Read literature focused on wine and watch reviews on youtube. Learn to recognize and distinguish different styles from around the world. Maybe dabble in specifics about region and geography. There is a lot to learn. Take it slow and keep an open mind.

I'm not an expert. I don't even drink wine often. I'm just offering you advice that I think is logical.

Incorrect. You can buy 95% pure alcohol at $20/750ml.

I hated beer at 18 and then once turned 22 the stuff started tasting great.

I could also have sworn at my last birthday party the wine was undrinkable but these days I pick up a bottle when I know it will be the missing touch to a meal.

Has anybody else experienced a change in what foods and drink you like the taste of due to getting older? I'm hoping that whiskey and rum will become palatable for me because I want to know what other people like in them.

Wine connoisseur's are a load of bullshit.

Blind fold a wine critic and they wouldn't be able to tell between cheap and expensive wines.

>the purpose of enjoying a thing is to be able to tell if it's expensive or not
I can literally smell how poor you are

A wine critic is a bullshit job.

Do you actually believe all those mean elitists who buy wine are getting paid to make you feel insecure about your table manners?

>Do you actually believe all those mean elitists who buy wine are getting paid to make you feel insecure about your table manners?

Lol what are you on about?

Rig up a venturi for boxed red wine. Immediate sex to follow. Cooking is a means to an end, OP. Culture that.

I dunno, you tell me. You're the one who suffers from an attack of class consciousness any time the topic of spoiled fruit juice comes up

I just said a wine critic is a bullshit job. You're the one who got all fedora.

It's called a beret, go eat your MacDonalds

I hate McDonalds

Anonymous board
>>You

MFW prove it.

>said a wine critic is a bullshit job
why?
to be played to do something that you are not able to do?
so astronaut is a bullshit job too?

It's important to remember that when it comes to food, "bullshit" means "it makes me feel bad"

He probably has finely nuanced opinions on name-brand tendies vs great value brand, he just chooses not to share them with us in this thread

Right: Focus on a geographical region, I'd say France as most wine related discussion is still centred on French wines - there's a wealth of information.

Buy one of Hugh Johnson's books on wine - he explains the geography of the regions well, and lists significant châteaus.

Next up, taste. Don't go and buy a Pétrus as your first bottle - instead find a local wine merchant, and ask for their recommendations for wines that are affordable (say £14-22/bottle) and idiomatic of their region. If you can, try to buy several vintages from the same château, so you can understand how age affects the wine. Similarly, read up on the quality of the harvests in the corresponding years - take, for example, the 2011 Bordeaux wines, which are really quite a poor vintage, and contrast them with the 2007.

Be systematic, try white, red, and sparkling wines. Whichever wine you drink, find out the grape composition. Keep notes!

When you do buy bottles of wine, try to get a few of each - so in six months you can come back, and taste again, then, if you have a suitable environment to store the wines, come back in 2 years and taste them again. Some will be over, some will have improved, some will not - but it should give you insight.

Finally - part of wine drinking is in how it accompanies food. Once you think you're becoming familiar with wines (and once you're used to the taste) try pairing it with the dishes you cook.

Oh, and ask your wine merchant if he has an example of a corked wine that he could allow you to smell. Occasionally you do end up with corked wines, and whilst it's a very obvious smell, I have known some to think it an overwhelming tannin.

People also confuse a lot of things for "corked", for instance brett funk, sulfur, or just general earthiness/wet concrete smell

>Don't go and buy a Pétrus as your first bottle
Why the fuck does everyone and I mean *everyone* say this like it's an actual concern? Whether it's 'wine people' or 'anti wine people' there seems to be a widespread notion that neophytes regularly go out and drop thousands of dollars and then get angry that it isn't 200x better than a $25 no-name

This isn't a thing, you're just masturbating, so shut the fuck up

My first bottle was $98 dollars. I've made the mistake thinking that higher price = better wine.