Tell me about your state's State Fair or any equivalent Veeky Forums

Tell me about your state's State Fair or any equivalent Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZymGBl1Zw
youtube.com/watch?v=jDCCAflsVi8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My equivalent is Hull Fair because I live in Hull, England.

It's run by travelling folk (or "pikeys") who show up every year for about 2-3 weeks in October, set up a massive fair on a piece of waste ground in the middle of the city and then, after dark from about 6pm until 11pm, they charge insane prices for food, rides, games etc.

Food on offer includes brandy snap, toffee apples, candy floss (cotton candy), roasted chestnuts, nougat, and your usual British food trucks (fish and chips, hot dogs, burgers etc).

The rides are pretty standard, your big wheel, dodgems, waltzers, that thing where you go in and it spins and you stick to the wall. The games are mostly cons. I played the air rifle shooting gallery, hit the same box of wine gums with a fiver wrapped around it three times and it didn't move. It was obviously nailed down, and you have to knock it off the shelf to win. Hook a Duck is good for the kids though, you win every time, though the prize is obviously worth less than the cost of playing.

If you've never played Hook a Duck, you get a pole with a hook on the end of it and have to use it to catch one of the many rubber ducks floating past on a circular kind of moat that runs in a ring around the guy in the middle with the prizes. Win and you can choose a prize. Typical prizes include a live goldfish in a bag of water, a teddy bear, a whoopee cushion and so on.

It's a pretty good fair.

Alaska state, we just shoot animals, because , well, because we like it,
I know I sound like a moron, probably 'cause I am!

Nigga what? Stay on topic.
If you've been to a podunk flyover state fair, you've been to the Alaska state fair. The usual rides, although they do have a slingshot, it's run by one guy who parks it in the Dimond Center parking lot and makes fucking bank charging $20 a pop.
Probably a third of the damn fairground is dedicated to all the farm attractions, biggest vegetables and best farm animals and that stuff.
Overpriced food. There's a place that does pork chops on sticks and one place with killer lobster bisque, but it's $$$$.
The Libertarian party always buys space and sets up a tent in the merchant area, and it's always got one lonely old guy that sits there the entire time.
I honestly haven't been there in 10 years just because if you've gone one year, you've gone every year.
Strangely the bands they're getting are really good, the local alt-rock station decided this was a good venue and started flying up bigger bands from the lower 48 to play.

I'm not really sure, I live in New York which is the capital of a large appendage called "New York State" that no one, other than anthropologists and the people who collect my taxes and stash it somewhere that it can't do any good, has ever visited. There might be a state fair up there somewhere, but I threw out all my old issues of National Geographic so I have no idea what it involves, assuming it exists.

It's probably just fat people and gross food, working in perfect harmony since fatties love gross food and food gets more gross when you see fat people eating it, like at every other state fair.

>pork chops on sticks
I've never heard of this. It should be a thing here in Britain, it sounds great. Can I get one with apple sauce or do I have to bring my own?

MN state fair is pretty sweet. Good people, good concerts, good super shitty overpriced fair food, amazing craft beer scene.
Also these fucking cookies man. These fucking cookies.

I somehow like this poster.

It's in Syracuse and it's actually pretty good normally. A lot of your tax dollars go to funding it and paying tons of bigger name bands and other things to show up, hundreds of rides/games, of course all the livestock stuff since 99% of NY is based on farming but somehow people like you in the city think you're the whole state. Not to mention people from all across the country come to experience some of the best salmon/trout and musky fishing in the entire country and some world class deer hunting in the southern tier. But stay on pavement and enjoy your icee and street taco.

And also, NYC isn't the capital of NYS. It's a place called Albany. You should look into it sometime.

>buy bucket of fresh sweet Martha's
>head over to the all you can drink milk booth
Somehow the only time I've gotten sick was from deep fried pickles.

>all you can drink milk booth
No way.

If OP serve me one of these I might kiss him

The combination of those two pics makes it look like Simon Cowell has a massive head and is enjoying making candy floss.

I'm fine if he just stays home fampai, I'll enjoy all these spiedies myself

I've never been to any state fair in any state I've lived in.
Our state fair here just ended, and I only live about 20 miles away, and I have never gone in the 8 years I've lived here. It's just to fucking hot to deal with that many disgusting people.

Iowa reporting: it's fairly standard with ag shows, fried everything, heaviest pig, largest pumpkin, butter sculptures, rides, and shows.
The featured new food is pic related

Wisconsin State Fair here
honestly, our state fair seems so bland when compared to the other state fair I see on travel/food shows
but I still enjoy it and I guess the signature food are Cream Puffs

>New Mexico

It's just a bunch of pissed off Indians and Mexicans that bus into the largest city from all the surrounding rural shitholes. There's the standard rides manned by some redneck tweaker with a ponytail, farm exhibits, 4-H club shit, and the typical fried ___ fair food.

I guess something that's unique to ours is the Navajo taco which is just some generic beans/chili served on top of fried dough. It tastes like shit for the most part.

In summation: I'd rather die than ever go to the NM state fair again.

AZ state fair is basically the same thing

State fair of Texas.

I've only been maybe 3 times, even though I live really close to Fair Park.

It's huge. Kind of overwhelming. Easy to spend a lot of money really quickly there. There are so many different things happening everywhere at once. There are auto shows, livestock shows, free concerts. Nelly is one of the free concerts this year lol. They do this celebrity chef kitchen thing. Chili and BBQ cook off. They have the texas discovery gardens which are really cool. They have a giant butterfly habitat. Kids love it of course.

The first year I went was the first year they the Chinese lantern festival. They did it one more year but haven't done it again I don't think.

Was this guy in an episode of King of the Hill?

youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZymGBl1Zw

Anybody here from socal

Big Tex? probably.

Imperial Valley reporting in.

Hey, where you at bud? I live maybe 5 minutes from Fair Park.

You want to be my date to the Fair this year? I'll buy you a Fletcher's...

I like mild cringe humor like Curb Your Enthusiasm or Life and Times of Tim. But, a few Nathan for You eps make my wang shrivel up.

LA County Fair reporting in. It's all expensive and that's it. We're talking 10-17 dollars for a fried twinkie, and 20 bucks solid for a turkey leg. Rides take tokens IIRC, but twenty bucks of tokens are taken with like two "rollercoaster" rides, or anything extreme. It's a major rip off, I wouldn't recommend going to anyone.

Wassup. Obviously LA fair is great but I've never been to the one in the OC. Is it any good? There's a couple weekends left

A couple of times I've actually had to watch Nathan For You through my fingers, or biting my fist. Same with Impractical Jokers, which is less cringe and more just second-hand embarrassment, but still hard to watch.

Here's a Veeky Forums related clip of that:
youtube.com/watch?v=jDCCAflsVi8

It's all you can drink milk for like 75 cents or something bro

Eastern Washington. We have our own State Fair, because we're too far away from the good one where all the decent people from the Western side of the state can be found. They get all the top musicians and acts. Dat Seattle budget.

Over here in Eastern Washington, where the majority of the population is poor as dirt and just as stupid as they are poor, we enjoy things like pig races, who has the biggest truck tires, and "Indian tacos" which is the same taco salad you had at your high school cafeteria.

I can't wait to graduate college in a year so I can move to the good side of the state.

I live really close to Deep Ellum. I'll be moving to Ft Worth soon. Where are you at?

Oh man I miss corn dogs. That and funnel cake. Best fair foods.

Wisconsin
Our state fair is OK, pretty standard shit. They do serve pic related though at this huge facility and that's nice but nothing special

Typical island living faggot.

Enjoy being terrorist target #1

Vancouver and we got the richmond night market.

Come and try over three booths of curry fish cake balls, pollock dumpings, pork stickers. Or enjoy grilled farm meat on a stick as smoky fumes act as fly and drool deterents. wash it down with powdered bubble tea available nearby. Or check out the independant places with unqiue food ideas or try the double fried chicken wings from our popular restaurant Phnom Penh

All that stuff you went on about and you never mentioned the giant rubber duck.

I've been checking out these fairs on Google Images and yours looks like it has the best food.

YEEEEE HAWWWW EH

Never even heard of the Westchester County Fair?

Why are they pissed off

I'm from MS so it's full of black folks.

The CNE has your typical fair food, rides, and exhibits. And the air show, I suppose.

Eastern washington sounds fun

Florida State Fair. There's also a runner up called strawberry festival which is on the same tier too.

Went for about 3 years in a row, they became famous for being one of the first massively advertised places to have the krispy kreme donut buns hamburger.

Usual disgusting food-faire, deep fried ANYTHING, peanut butter and jelly quesadilla, ice cream hamburger, pizza funnel cake, the list goes on.

I usually stuck to generic food there just because I didn't want heartburn for 30 years, typically got a burger or some different styled hot dogs. I think the craziest thing I tried there was alligator and shark, but you can get that in a lot of places in florida anyway.

The rides are what you'd see anywhere, there just happen to be a lot of them. The games are rigged to high hell, blatantly even. They also jack the prices up because they know people will pay them.

Something really odd about it though, is that they use a big convention center that happens to be on the property as a MASSIVE showroom for vendors and local places (the police, firemen, churches, etc) to set up pamphlet handout booths. My family would leave the fair and actual fun (but overpriced) shit and fucking walk around the convention shit like they were in a mall, and we'd leave with a back seat full of pamphlets and free dollar store shit they hand out.

We switched to dinosaurs this year apparently. But yeah we got some good carnival food. But yeah they sell everything from Jerky to Rotatos.

Yes way.

how much do frozen lemonades cost at your guys' carnivals/fairs?

mine has terrible asian bbq but great slush puppies.

2.50, or unlimited refills for 10

where u at

I saved that image so that when I want, I can look at it and fantasise about being there.

Don't take that for granted user, all you can drink milk for a dollar? That is something special. I'd drink milk all day if I was there.

Yo.

Born and raised in LA, moved down to OC about three years ago went to the OC fair twice in a row.

Food is usual greasy fare including those wacky novelties like deep fried chocolate covered bacon and deep fried kool-aid balls but there's also an international twist on it, lot of Greek stalls, teriyaki shrimp bowl in a half of a pineapple is fantastic.

Last year I got a tomahawk steak, 22 bucks for a pound of steak on the end of the bone, ate it like Fred Flinstone, had the meat sweats later but totally worth it.

Albany, Westchester, Syracuse, whatever. Upstate.

>NYC population makes up 43% of the population of NY state as of 2010 and that percentage has increased in the last 6 years, since upstate and western NYS are moving out, and more and more keep moving to NYC.

"New York City's population increase since April of 2010 represented 85.8 percent of the total increase in New York State, which raised the city's share of the State's population, from 42.2 percent to 43.0 percent."

Now according to a study on NYC vs NYS as a whole, this photo shows NYC at 32.5% over weight. That's 32.5% of over 43% of the population of the entire state. The rest of the state is at 35% over weight. But that is equal to or below the amount of fatties in the city.

>probably just fat people
>because the city is only healthy. in shape people.

Nah. You just think you're a god because you pay exuberant fees to be told you're awesome. Sort of like paying for your down syndrome/mentally handicapped kid to go to a special kid school. "Omigosh you are sooo special. But you need to pay the $37k semester fee or your parents will have to home school you!"

>doing a whole fucking research paper and compiling screenshots
Overweight defensive hillbilly detected

the reason I did it is because I'm not over weight and tired of NYC thinking they are the capital when they aren't.

If it makes you feel better, putting the capital in a provincial nowhere is very common. Myanmar did it. Brazil did it. Even the United States of America did it.

We know the capital is in Syracuse. It doesn't really matter though.

but people should at least know where the capital of their state is and not think they are the capital just because they are a major terrorist target

I already admitted it was in Syracuse, what more do you want? A cookie from momofuku milk bar? I'm afraid you'll have to pay for it, cleetus.

A bunch of hillbillies and women going missing (mostly sex workers). The pig races are fun though, I drink and gamble with the Koreans on pig races every year

I live right off Carroll, 3 minutes from Deep Ellum. Let's go to Pecan Lodge and complain about everything.

Cheyenne Frontier Days

Cheyenne, Wyoming. Just got done. They had tons of fair / carnival food. Funnel Cakes, Deep-fried whatever, Turkey legs, corn on the cob, burgers, hot dogs,sausages, cheese steaks, waffle cones, etc.

Sad thing is I live right near it and never go. Never even tried the food offerings.

I dated a girl who was a "Miss Frontier Days" for a bit. She was a barrel racer and a demon in the sack

Well, congratulations are in order

Cajun Heartland State Fair in Lafayette, LA

I was poor growing up and it's one of the most expensive fairs around so I never got to really enjoy it. There were always tons of people and a good selection of rides I guess but I'm scared of rides. I always preferred the Sugar Cane Festival in New Iberia because it had the Himalayan ride and all-beef foot long corn dogs.

oh shit whaddup

Temecula area here

I swear they go so hard on the meme cuisene

Texas. I only go for jalapeno peppers that are stuffed with BBQ brisket, breaded, deep fried, and served with chili con queso dip.

kekked

The capital of NY is Albany.

This. Better than all your shitty fairs in America. But still shitty unless you're getting blackout drunk or going with a qt that you like, not just some slut.

RIP

Another Iowan reporting.

There's also the butter sculptures.

That's about it.

Proud to say that I've never been to it and that I never plan to change that.

But that's what I said. Buffalo.

going to the Wisconsin state fair today
hope it goes good

MN state fair

pretty fun to get shit faced and take a free bus to the fair. tons of food and variety of beers. had blueberry(delicious), smores beer, doughnut beer, and some others.

San Diego checking in. We have the Del Mar Fair. I've gone every year for the last 12 years (runs the entire month of June and ends on 4th of July).

Yeah, it can be a little expensive, but it's fun. I get a "Juicy Burger" every year. Around $10 for a hamburger, but worth every penny. We've got some great rides and a killer Ferris Wheel. Oh, and a great beer garden as there are so many local microbrews. If you know where to look, there is also a Tequila Garden.

The Wisconsin one has good beer at least

iowan here. fat people, mexicans, lots of beer, and fried foods. but sometimes we give the state fair a hard time. There are some good foods: cheese curds and fried twinkies. go ahead and judge me

>Wisconsin
With your overabundance of cheese curds in circulation, do they serve poutine at the fair?

Northern Wisconsin state fair sucks nuts. Minnesota is legendary and has that really cool sky pillar thing.

>coastiefags don't even know basic geography
How's that EBT card treating you?

*pasteurized cheese product

*trigger state main export

I remember last year there was only one stand that sells them

balloon fiesta is more funner

WHERE IS THE TEQUILA GARDEN??? I went to the beer garden a few years ago, it was pretty fun. For some reason I've always really liked the gems and minerals exhibit, and the woodworking

>northern wisconsin state fair
didn't even knew there was a northern wisconsin state fair

Up north has their own fair?

Yup, it's in Chippewa Falls, and it sucks. Cheap Leinie's, at least.

I traveled with a show for 4 years running a game, I once had the girl in the food joint make me a corn dog out of a polish sausage. It was pretty good dipped in nacho cheese. They also had chicken on a stick and I wanted to get that as a corn dog but never got around to doing it. The secret to a good corn dog is pancake batter

Del Mar Fair is super based

Also Phil's BBQ and Brett's BBQ is the shit son, competes with Santa Maria area for best in state

The first isn't exactly news.

I asked the woodworking guys to make me a pen. Ive used it almost everyday since