How to chicken thigh?

How to chicken thigh?

So, I was attempting to just pan fry some chicken thighs to put in some pasta, but when they were done they were simply too fatty and unpleasant to chew. I was trying this just because they are about a buck cheaper per pound than breasts, even though I can cook a breast perfectly just about every time.

This being said, I always prefer chicken thighs when they are braised over a long period of time or thrown in a slow cooker for a few hours. They are superior to breasts for stuff like this.

But, is there a different way to pan fry them? Am I doing something wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

budgetbytes.com/2013/08/easy-sesame-chicken/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Chicken Tikka Masala
>thread

cut them up (better) and remove or ignore the shitty bits

This is a pretty good recipe for chicken thighs
budgetbytes.com/2013/08/easy-sesame-chicken/

I would just say don't dry pan fry them? There might be a better way to do it, but it seems like not a preferred cooking method for them. Skinless/Boneless might be the way to go if you want to pan fry though.

I can dig a grilled chicken thigh, if you want a fast dry heat cook. Made some Negima Yakitori on the grill recently and it was pretty good & easy.

You also don't have to braise them for super long like you may want to do for pork or beef. Like 45min is good if you don't need them to be super falling apart.

This looks pretty tasty, I'll try this soon.

That's what I was thinking. I mean I know I didn't really do anything wrong, I think it's just not a very good way to cook them. Also combined with the fact that:
I didn't trim anything, I guess I can see why it didn't turn out spectacular.

i really like to poach them, then reduce the poaching liquor or cook rice or pommes fondant in it while i crisp up the blotted dry skins in a pan that has been lined with greaseproof paper and press them under a brick or different pan or something. it obviously isn't as fast a method as you are probably expecting though because it requires reduction.

i would suggest you take out the sinew and skin and bone and pound them out thin if you want to pan fry them. they make for good escalopes in my opinion.

>I mean, seriously, this is plate lickin’ good stuff here and you can probably make it in about the same amount of time that it takes for the take out guy to get to your door. Serve this up with something veggi-licious on the side, like steamed broccoli or Crunchy Asian Salad, for a well rounded meal and you will have dinner owned.

i want to beat her with a bar of soap wrapped in a sock

Pounding didn't really seem necessary as they were trimmed by whatever butcher pretty poorly, and they were pretty thin and/or small in size.

I will try your method though, sounds good.

>Pounding didn't really seem necessary as they were trimmed by whatever butcher pretty poorly, and they were pretty thin and/or small in size.

sure, but pounding will still increase their surface area and also tenderise them. you might get more browning and more collagen breakdown/fat draining, in addition to just having a more tender muscle structure. just a suggestion.

yeah I was thinking the same thing after I posted that. makes sense, I'll probably try pounding them sonsabitches next time.

Curry chicken or chicken teriyaki.

>curry chicken
This.
The fastest and easiest is probably Taiwanese/Chinese-style.
Cut thighs into pieces.
Toss with curry powder as desired and set aside.
Heat a little oil.
Add grated/pasted/pounded young ginger. Also chili, if you want. Not necessary.
>you can buy ginger paste and use that, though the flavour differs a little
Toss for a few seconds then add curry-coated chicken.
Toss about and cook until chicken is coloured, but not cooked through.
Add chicken stock to cover then lower heat to bare minimum, just high enough to maintain a simmer.
>you can use chinese chicken stock powder, if you'd like; most takeaways do
Add cut up green pepper and onion to the simmering chicken and cook a minute or so.
Dissolve some starch in chicken stock separately, then up the heat under the pan to high and add the starchy stock.
Stir about to evenly distribute the starch and thicken into a sauce.
Adjust salt if/as necessary.
Serve with rice.
Takes all of 10 minutes.

I apologise that I can't give exact measurements, but if you really want, I can try to guess at it. Just don't get upset if they're not perfect. I cook by feel only, sorry.
>what do you call it if you do that? cook by feel? you know; like 'playing by ear,' only cooking instead of music?

cast iron skillet cook stove top first then transfer to oven leave skin on.

nah I don't need measurements, I can guess. I'll save this in a wordpad though. sounds tasty

This. You need to let that skin cook for a while and it will turn out crispy and delicious. Don't move it around

Sure. One thing: the pepper should be cut into spears (if bell pepper) or rounds (if Chinese sweet pepper) while the onion should be wedged. And try adding baby corn, if you can get fresh (or decent quality jarred).
Also, some people marinate the chicken in cornstarch and soy sauce and use the marinade as the thickener, but I don't like it that way. If you might, you can try that, too.
For Straights-style Chinese chicken curry, add crushed tomato and use ginger/garlic/chili paste in place of young ginger and add par-cooked potatoes. This one is eaten with roti canai and is notably stronger due to using a different rempah and different curry powder. You could also add a beaten egg at the end, kind of like when making chili crab.

>don't move it around

are you saying I'm not supposed to stick it with a fork and fling it on the wall to make sure it's done?

Only it gives you attitude

Jesus, what a shit show pathetic cooking forum. No one seriously knows how to decently cook chicken thigh in a man.....fucking christ, you fags worse than leddit

underrated post

They're more ideal for roasting, stir frying, and simmering.

fuck off with that chink shit and curry

>preheat broiler
>either cut chicken into small chunks or pound it out to uniform thickness
>season it, don't bother with any oil
>dump into pan/sheet
>5 minutes a side under the broiler

>mama mia thats a spicy meatball!

Maybe 7 minutes a side depending on your oven. The broiler is basically an upside-down grill. You'll get some quality browning if done right.