Comfort food

I heard the expression several times, but dont really know what is means.
Could Veeky Forums enlight an ignorant user?

It's food from your childhood bud

Sure. It's food which gives you a nostalgic feeling due to memories of eating it during "good times". People seek it out to make themselves feel better when they're depressed, upset, stressed out, etc.

There's no specific comfort food--it all depends on what you grew up eating. What constitutes comfort food will vary form person to person.

A term for sad fucks who feel embarassed by their opinions

Marketing term used to make you eat/buy more.
The irony is that most foods that are labelled as comfort food are often foods that you regret eating due to their poor nutritional value and high fat content. Then you'll need to feel more comfort. Rinse, repeat, become an alcoholic diabetic and die alone in a pool of your own tears and piss soaked diapers.

it's what fat people call rich and fattening food that they like (usually involves Ranch)

nobody calls celery and carrot sticks comfort food though it is because you can take comfort in the fact you are having a healthy snack

Food that makes you feel better at the end of the day.

I made some beef stew for the first time recently, after the third bite I was in heaven. Bam, now I have a new favorite comfort food.

I think that definition is a little narrow. Sure, maybe more often than not something simple like great mashed potatoes and gravy or some gooey mac and cheese can be comfort foods. Maybe it's a favorite dish from childhood or a particularly memorable time in your life. But I don't think it's bound to any particular cuisine or something that has to be unhealthy.

One of my favorite comfort foods is brined cucumbers and onions during the summer. During the winter it's a thick stew made from scratch but with it, I'll have some grands flaky biscuits just because I loved 'em so much as a kid.

>I don't think it's bound to any particular cuisine or something that has to be unhealthy.

Correct.

But the problem is that there is some overlap from legitimate nostalgia-type comfort food and people who have a legitimate addiction to food.

The former is something everyone has. The latter is indicative of a medical condition like bulimia.

Fatty fat ham planet shit for people with a dysfunctional relationship with their food

Food that feels right. Not that it's good or indulgent, healthy or unhealthy. Just that it's familiar and good. That's the best I could put it.

Comfort food to me is green beans with toasted pecans or toasted slivered almonds.

These guys don't get it. Probably not from anywhere that actually uses the term or too anal about other people's happiness to ever use it properly.

If you're fat your comfort food is likely fattening, but that's just because you grew up on a diet that probably wasn't real great and that's what's familiar to you as an adult, which is why you're fat. Comfort food is not, in and of itself, necessarily fat people food.

/thread

Is there? I haven't seen the 'comfort food' label appropriated by the HAES crowd as any sort of excuse for their size, but I tend to avoid it as much as possible. Those underlying conditions you mentioned become pretty obvious if you see a favorite comfort foods list that read like a fast food menu.

it means nothing OP
it's a bullshit term
all food is comfort food because it means you aren't going to starve to death

better term is "nostalgia food" but "nostalgia" is too had to spell and also it recalls a time that probably never happened, but you wished it did

>"nostalgia" is too had to spell

this
for instance my comfort food is ramen crushed into bite sized pieces with milk poured over like cereal i alway set the flavoring packet aside for some other thing to cook later

Pizza or pancakes work as comfort food for me. It makes my day better to eat them.

Some ham balam, famalaram yes.

I have no favorite nostalgic foods from my childhood that would call comfort food because most foods from my childhood were prepackaged and frozen. I guess for me comfort food would be hearty meals because the only time I got them were Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving.

Right now mine would be beef stew. It's simple, good, and gives me a warmth. I can easily make enough of it at once to last for a few days and it doesn't taste like shit when it's reheated. It's not expensive to make and I'm usually glad I took the effort to make it.

Compared to the morning or when I get home from work and I might just eat a sandwich or eggs. Both are good and make me not hungry. They get the job done as far as food is concerned, but I don't get that same feeling from them.

Some bullshit easy food you make and enjoy when you're lazy

Usually means unhealthy carb loaded food like Mashed Potatoes and Gravy or Macaroni and Cheese

>be out shopping with gf
>see dinosaur nuggets
>say "fuck it lets get some nuggies"
>got those little potato things that look like faces
>had one of the most comfy meals ive had in years

For me it means a warm, homemade bowl of chili on a cold winter's evening.

My grandmother used to make green beans and ham with potatoes that have been left in the slow cooker all day. Pinch of salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar on your serving makes it supreme.

I miss having Sunday dinners with family.

anything that can give you comfort, this is often things from your childhood that bring you back to simpler times and overwhelm you with nostalgia, but to me it's also just foods that I find "easy" to eat. when I want something with deep flavor, for example, I'll have an indian curry. but if I want just a nice, warm, simple meal, I'll make jap curry.

I think that you really want comfort food then you should definitely commit hurry curry when the mood strikes.

My Mom used to make this as well. The ham was always leftover from a baked ham earlier in the week. Could not get enough of this as a kid. I have to make this now after seeing your post. Thanks!

So water, 1/2 a maggi cube, plain dumplings and a drop of ketchup?

My mom's own recipe. Times were rough :'(

Her big ass head is a lot more prevalent when there is no tiddays

>high sugar
>high fat
>high salt

That's it. All three brain triggers in one. You don't feel a "craving" after eating comfort good because it's hit everything. Sugar makes you crave fat. Fat makes you crave salt. Salt makes you crave sugar. The circle completes and your mind becomes at ease.

>smiley face fries

Dude you are bringing me WAY back

I miss Hawaii

Gobs of sushi.

you can literally make that anywhere

When we would have a ham, my mother always made creamed potatoes and green peas to go with it. The next day the ham was cut up and then put in the potatoes along with the peas.

I guess I meant that eating that makes me miss Hawaii.

Shit, I make Spam with rice and eggs all the time. Pic related is what makes me miss Hawaii. Try finding a place that imports taro or ti leaves.

Fortunately I'm visiting the West Coast right now and can hit up an L&L to get my fix.

No it's not. Comfort food is food high in carbs and fat. Like goza.

food you associate with happy times, generally from your childhood, that predispose you to liking them.

probably results form the way the brain stores memory and how neurotransmitters work.

>Comfort Food
>food that provides consolation or a feeling of well-being, typically having a high sugar or carbohydrate content and associated with childhood or home cooking.
Use Google next time you lazy little cunt.

>mom gave us gerber rice cereal when we were under the weather
>at no other time
>rice cereal came on a little tray with a bell to ring for mom if you needed her
>mfw my most comforting comfort food is gerber baby rice cereal