How do I deal with the fact that the Munchhausen trilemma exists and all philosophy is bullshit and all humanities /...

How do I deal with the fact that the Munchhausen trilemma exists and all philosophy is bullshit and all humanities / art / politics is narcissistic posturing?

Everything is such BS on a big pile of BS on a mountain of BS, it's all so hard to take. Everything boils down to BS or trivialitirs

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pragmatism
youtube.com/watch?v=2mxitw5DjwE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Certain things are self evident. I think there I am. I intuitively know suffering is bad because the evidence is the phenomenological experience of it. And from such truths you build upon it.

Yes, everything is just bullshit. Bullshit on bullshit on bullshit.

And now what? This line of thinking doesn't lead anywhere, it's a dead end. And if your thoughts can't go anywhere further, they'll take a few steps back and go into a new direction. (That's what happened to me, at least, when I felt like you.)

Stop beating around the bush and accept Christ.

you should read the catcher in the rye

also you should talk about bridging the is-ought gap

Pyrrhonism, epoche, ataraxia.

Think whatever you want, but philosophy is really simple. It's seeking wisdom through the accurate categorization of information. The nature of that wisdom, the purpose of that wisdom, and the verifiability of that wisdom are all up for debate, but this does not mean that seeking wisdom or categorization are purposeless. It's useful for navigating a world that becoming more and more complex.

Similar to the effects of a clean desk or a freshly defragmented hard drive, a tidy mind responsive, fast, and efficient. It's like being a chef in a fully equipped god tier kitchen that you know backwards and forwards intimately. This is really what practical philosophy is about.

Babby detected

Pessimistic old man detected. Go to the gym and get some self esteem you fucking joke.

You sound like a B student!

Wrong

>How do I deal with the fact that the Munchhausen trilemma exists and all philosophy is bullshit and all humanities / art / politics is narcissistic posturing?

nice ideology there, if you accept that the munchhausen trilemma destroys everything then all you can say about your precious STEM is that it means you can make cellphones and tells us literally nothing about the world or its parts.

Get out your mom's basement and go make something of yourself.

>not reading bullshit for its prose
aesthetics, brah, it's the only way

Sounds like you're just salty because you're bad at the game of narcissistic posturing.

im sure he feels the same about STEM (that its inherently worthless) its just that he found salvation in literature/philosophy as many of this board have and so hes grappling with losing that pillar of his life (or redefining it as non-pillar)

if he was a stem poster he wouldve said:
>How do YOU deal with the fact that the Munchhausen trilemma exists and all philosophy is bullshit and all humanities / art / politics is narcissistic posturing?

you're conflating truth with meaning

>tfw when you're actually fit and have a qt gf
how do these people throw insults like these in to the dark, just shoot at the sky and hopefully a duck will fly past at the same time

you played yourself again babby

I'm here to save you OP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pragmatism
Be like the engineer, not the scientist -- live and think based on what works (what has predictive power) not what is "true."

For example, planes fly and computers work -- we can predict that they these things even when we just use mathematical models. So math at least has predictive power and works.

You're saying it's TRUE that planes fly and computers work?

it reliably appears that way, who the fuck knows about "truth"

You're saying it's TRUE that it reliably appears that way?

first-person authority is one thing that your schtick doesn't work on

It is true that our tools work in a way that is beneficial to us. This does not rely on them working in any noumenal realm of truth. shut the fuck up.

What 'schtick"?

You're investing too much emotion into the word 'true'. To attribute truth to a statement is no different from simply asserting the statement. There's nothing 'deep' going on.

people have different definitions faggo

Nope.

The sentence "Snow is white" is true if and only if snow is white.

That's it. That's the entirety of the concept of truth.

Nobody said anything about a "noumenal realm", assgoblin.

and so you think what you are saying is TRUE, I would imagine?

Accept it and accept Christ.
>self evident
That's bullshit though.

daily friendly reminder that Veeky Forums worst place in world for philosophy

>It's useful for navigating a world that becoming more and more complex.
the day you stop your desire for navigating is the day you reach wisdom. hedonists cannot stop moving around whereas they always claim to be wise.

>there is literally nothing more to truth than correspondence theory

you almost got me there, friend

Sorry, Tyrone. What was presented is literally the OPPOSITE of the 'correspondence theory'. But nice try, poseur.

Knowledge is not the answer. Format is.

You are a formatting machine. Make more of it.

Accept proofs by induction as the axiomatic standard.

when everything is bullshit, the fact that its bullshit becomes completely irrelevant

>the day you stop desire for navigating

Living is navigating. The state of existing itself is a kind of navigation. Is it not? You ceasing to desire navigating is to cease any desire for living or existing. If you cease to desire then what do you do? Just exist for the sake of existing? In a state of stasis? No. People want more because they're built to WANT more. They're built to desire so they reject the rejection of desire. And after rejecting the rejection of desire, they seek wisdom that will help them find what they desire and achieve it.

Your words to "stop desiring" are extremely hollow, trite, platitudinous and removed from the experience that a human is subjected to.

Try harder next time.

which direction did you choose?
the only think self-evident is that my consciousness exists and there is a fundamental gap between it and the world that i perceive. that is all.
>it's useful for navigating a world
there are infinite ways to navigate. how do you choose between them? how does can wisdom help you make that choice when it itself has no ground?
>go make something of yourself.
why? why self-actualization instead of anything else?
it appears to us that it appears to us that it appears to us... (ad infinitum) ...that X holds.
why? induction itself is predicated on the truthfulness of the base case (axiomatic or not) which can not be derived. so even accepting the structure of induction as true doesn't get us anywhere if we have no true propositions.
then what is relevant? if not then how do you deal with the irrelevancy of everything?

this. I'm not OP but I resorted to literature and philosophy and although it is more satisfying, it has not brought the salvation and answers that I thought it would. I feel let down and lost again. Also a bit angry that my last and most hopeful resort appears to be destined for failure. It appears that the philosophers are great at tearing things down but terrible at building anything up or providing any concrete "pillar" that seems to be grounded in something axiomatic. The pillars provided by philosophers seem to hold no more validity than the ones they tore down. How can one not be angry at this betrayal? It seems to be a wanton cruel joke to be brought in existence for no reason and moreover no method to even grapple with it? How does this not put someone in terrible frustrated sadness and futile desperation? Is this desperate sadness the only consequence that truly follows from existing?

In addition to what this guy says:

Your desire to stop the desire for navigating is a desire and a way of navigating. Now, please tell me if I'm wrong here:

Self-control over base desires (i.e. your Will) is the ultimate goal, right? If that's the case, then wouldn't suicide be the ultimate expression of control over the Will and its most basic desire for survival? But you're not ready to kill yourself? Then what are you really doing? Living in spite of yourself, teasing yourself with bare survival but not allowing any desire above that, as if the arbitrary line between survival and any desire beyond it is where wisdom lies?

Nonsense. See it through and kill yourself. If not, then why not wander around in the transient mystical fantasy land that is the world and explore its delights and oddities rather than laying around as a venerable and wise shriveled vegetable until your inevitable death arrives?

But philosophy is kinda like believing that Santa exists and feeling betrayed when you learn that he doesn't

This. Asian cultures have no will to truth unlike the post-Socrates west, which is why they can accomplish great feats of everything while having no counter-culture and no real "deep thinkers".

Sometimes your truth boner shows you new things, most of the time you just waste time comparing yours with other people's.

Why does this image get posted so often? I don't see the allure.

if wishmaster were here right now i'd be her panties so fucking fast

>Wishmaster is a 1997 American horror film directed by Robert Kurtzman. It was executive produced by Wes Craven, the only film of the Wishmaster series with his name attached.
What the fuck are you talking about

What were you expecting philosophy to do for you? Make you feel better than everyone else? Justify your world view? Make you feel like you're the lead character in a video game?

Who did you read that tore things down without putting them up? Nietzsche says you should be a value creator and liberate yourself from ressentiment. Aristotle and Plato have very positive philosophies that involve the individual in the community and in himself. Every school takes a layman view of reality, destroys it, and builds something else out of it. If none of the schools are building anything for you, you're probably looking for a specific answer.

You need to define what meaning means to you before philosophy will "help" you.

jokes.

Accept that you havn't evolved the biological machinery to adequately understand what is going on here because there is know selective pressure to be philosophical to improve survival for a substantial geological time period. Accept you are incomplete in that regard and you'll be able to accept yourself entirely harry krishna harry krishna krishna harry krishna harry harry rahma harry rahma krishna krishna

>no counter-culture
Anime and doujinshis are their counter culture.

I'm serious...

Get ego'd and assert your control over your property

youtube.com/watch?v=2mxitw5DjwE

>I think there I am
you fucked up big, chief

For me many things are self evident, one of which is the suffering is bad, thus I aim to reduce it.

I also know many things about what I do and how it makes me feel, thus I act accordingly and get the outcome I desired.

Orly?

this, the answer is you turn to something that benefits you

>Psychology, aka a bunch of autistic Germans and pill swallowers jerking each other off with diagnoses
>Valid

you're the dumbest one here. even hegel is better than any psychiatrist or sociologist

eat it up and save the world man. If you eat all the BS, then no one has to eat them. JUST DO IT. DO IT. I BELIEVE IN YOU. DO IT.

You have to learn how to meme

>I think there I am
if you don't know where you are, you have a problem

I'm there with you too man. Recently as I've been reading more I've realized its all kind of pointless. I can read Nietzche and be convinced of his way or read St Augustine and be convinced of his, either way brings me no closer to what I really desire. It feels cruel, we embody this nature which pulls us everywhere. It desires certainty in all things because of its love of knowledge but how could such a feat even be possible? How can I really be sure of anything? We can't find knowledge of the things which would actually matter if we could find knowledge of them, so in a way they don't matter. I hope that makes sense, kinda new to my existential mindset. My point is, I use to see purpose in things. I use to proudly argue against college professors who spoke for Sartre. I'd speak for Plato and the other Platonists saying that they all missed something; the goodness in man which is innate in all of us. But suddenly I don't even know anymore. Its like I just woke up one day and realized I was wrong about everything. I use to take the stoic approach when regarding death, viewing it as necessary and part of a large scheme of which I was a part. I viewed death this way at one point but now it just feels like that's the kick in the gut at the end of the story. I mentioned being strung by nature and that's where this come into play too. We desire to get close to people and things but everything decays. Whatever you build with someone is going to end eventually, whether in your death or theirss. Forgive me for sounding angsty (I'm sure a lot of you think so) but that's the truth and I want answers. AND to the top all this off I'm fucking surrounded by people who never would bother to entertain these thought, so I'm left isolated. I struggle with anxiety and depression, that's what my introspection has brought me. All others who don't feel such emotions I can only gather haven't deconstructed their morals and everything else they lean on like I did. The thought which keeps me going is the possibility that I'm wrong. I want to perceive purpose and beauty again. Somewhere it all turned to shit. So I'm here with you man, I know how the isolation is; no one puts as much effort into truth as people like us do.

their not funny

No problem. I dont have to know anything about where I am, to know that I am.

It's like saying, how can you be, if you don't know the time?

I am here right now.

By exploring the psychological presuppositions you put forth when you valued truth as higher than its opposite.

Nihilism: measuring the value of the world according to purely fictional categories... aka, get over it and adapt.