Give me your honest opinion on this book

Give me your honest opinion on this book.

I read this book.

Let me start off by saying that I've been posting on this board for quite a while, and a lot of the standard Veeky Forums snobbery has rubbed off on me. When information about this book began to spread, I shared everybody's understandable disdain. From where I was sitting it seemed to me like an embarrassing book designed to pander to nerds' nostalgia. As somebody whose reading time is mostly spent rereading my favorites by Joyce, Gaddis, and McElroy, I didn't think there was any chance that this book would be anything but pain for me to read.

Which is why I'm extremely surprised I'm about to give this book the assessment I'm about to give it. Honestly, I thought it was a staggeringly impressive debut that singles out Kline as *the* writer to watch right now. It's well-written, funny, ingeniously plotted and even (this is the big one) moving. As I was reading it, I couldn't believe my own reaction. And when I was finished, I was astonished at how powerfully the novel resonated.

I urge everyone who's skeptical to give this book a shot. You're bound to pleasantly surprised.

Honestly? Never read it.

I haven't read it, although I've read excerpts. The excerpts were quite bad, though it is easy to cherry pick shit and impress Veeky Forums with how superior you are. I'm not likely to read it because I'm not into video game culture anymore, though.

Huh, rereading Snow Crash right now, might pick this up in my ensuing cyberpunk spree.

Give it a rest, Kline.

While it's an interesting idea and certainly entertaining I feel that it's poorly executed. That being said it is by no means horrible and could be worth a read if it sounds interesting to you.

yeah i've read this before and it is garbage. and not just garbage, hot garbage.

It kind of sucked. It was written in the same way that a lot of young adult novels are, so it comes it comes across as really plain and simple. Its ending also came out of nowhere. I would wholly avoid it if you want anything more than a poorly stringed together mess of nerd references.

>
That dude is trolling you.

It's legitimately one of the worst books I've ever read.

The Zeroes does the whole cultural references thing better but it's not scifi

Go to bed Patrick

rubbish

I will watch the stephen spielberg movie and be severely disappointed

It was a solid read. The nostalgic shit was nice at first but got fucking annoying. Main character was obnoxious, but everything else was decent

Cringeworthy anti-male pussy pedestalization.
>mary sue gamr grrll XD who is just as good or better than all the guys and can meme with the best XD
>genius hacker who creates a jawdropping miraculous cyber universe but actually just can't get over his oneitis
>"everything i accomplished never meant anything. i just wanted pussy. :("
>protag gets with cringy sue
>protag gets with the mary sue and is given a blow up all computers button and the nerd's blessing to blow up all computers

Who can't hate cunts and noodles in this environment? Seriously.

I read it before I became an English major and discovered Veeky Forums. I enjoyed it, but I disliked the major characters.

I thought it was total garbage. I read it in one sitting while coming down from a fuckload of edibles, so it was quite immersive, but it just wasn't very good.

I read this book.

Let me start off by saying that I've been posting on this board for quite a while, and a lot of the standard Veeky Forums snobbery has rubbed off on me. When information about this book began to spread, I shared everybody's understandable disdain. From where I was sitting it seemed to me like an embarrassing book designed to pander to nerds' nostalgia. As somebody whose reading time is mostly spent rereading my favorites by Joyce, Gaddis, and McElroy, I didn't think there was any chance that this book would be anything but pain for me to read.

Which is why I'm extremely surprised I'm about to give this book the assessment I'm about to give it. Honestly, I thought it was a staggeringly impressive debut that singles out Kline as *the* writer to watch right now. It's well-written, funny, ingeniously plotted and even (this is the big one) moving. As I was reading it, I couldn't believe my own reaction. And when I was finished, I was astonished at how powerfully the novel resonated.

I urge everyone who's skeptical to give this book a shot. You're bound to pleasantly surprised.

whos that?

I'd say the book is okay. Whatever you do though, do not read Armada.

That's the name of a fic between The Gamer and Worm.

>I listened to everything
>The Police to R.E.M.
Wow so cool and edgy you really are devoted to the Billboard top 100 hits of the Reagan era

This is some high quality bait desu

Gave up on it halfway through and moved on to something better. I don't plan on finishing it or seeing the movie.

On the book it has a quote from some review that calls it "Willy Wonka meets the Matrix". That is what you get. Both stories are about being "the one". Whether it's the one kid who is chosen by Willy Wonka or Neo. It's pure power fantasy wrapped up in fake 80's pop culture that only people who weren't alive in the 80's can love.

below average adventure book. every fucking thing works out for the fucking protagonist. the author tires you with way too many references. we get it dude ok. 3 to 4 out of 10.

Essentially "did you know gaming?"
with a dystopian,technology focused setting.
With some progressive thingies mixed in.
It kept me entertaining while I read it.
But I wouldn't re-read it.
Overall it's just "muh 80s videogames" and "ebin nerd culture".
You can absorb more knowledge about the era by wacthing youtube channels.
It will not go down as a classic in history.
Just a book about game you can play.
And why would you read about games that consist of 7 pixels?
The super MMO thingy was interesting,but then I remembered that it would never happen.
It's just too much hassle that the average user would never deal with.

what the fuck.
why do you carriage return for every fucking sentence.
fucking stop.
you're retarded.

I'm aware of thr problem user.
It annoys me just as much.
But my english is rusty.
Being sleepy doesn't help either.

Do you have the one about how intelligent he is?

No.

This guy really knows his stuff! He's so hip and edgy and in touch with the youths!

>The Star Blazers
I bet he watched Robotech too.

Sorry it was dictated but not read

Yhdhdjhuwusshdsjhajasidurbshxhdhrfoiwoskjdkjjejvc fbdfjudfjndjskmnzmwjdiurfhx cbvd dfbejdujdjxcjeieoikwhdfhwhqhwqhdudfuifufjcnc xc f f f erjdfidfif

Dictated but not read

I read a lot of shitty genre fiction but this book just came off as someone who just did not try.

Robotech was the shit.

This makes me feel ill just to read. 95% of popular culture is trash, and only has relevence because of nostalgia. The idea of a young person throwing hundreds of hours into mind numbing shit like HR fucking Puffinstuff solely because it was popular in the past, not because of any appreciation of the aesthetics, just kills me inside. And I know this is all being done for the sake of some bullshit scavenger hunt, but the guy that set this contest up is an asshole as is the author because people will read this and take inspiation to ruin their own lives the same way.