So, what are you currently reading, Veeky Forums...

So, what are you currently reading, Veeky Forums? I'd be interested in recommended reading and anything we could throw in each others direction, of any genre and style, etc.

ITT: Post the stuff you're currently reading, and give your opinion of it.

Pic related, I'm about 30 pages in, and it is so far a very decent and interesting portrait, with an easy to follow writing style. Quite a page turner for non-fiction.

I'm currently reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.

It's not bad. I guess it's a send-up of artistocratic life. Wilde's sense of humor has already started wearing on me. I'm only on page 35.

Might there be any things to know about this book that would help me enjoy it or understand it?

This seems interesting. My knowledge of history is scant but I would imagine her life would be compelling. Any depraved shit?

Funny bescause drugs.
Denis is my favorite character.

Reading For the Time Being. It's good, but really pretentious sometimes.

Also on-and-off, between novels, I've been reading Sexton's Complete Poems. She's probably become my favourite poet. So far, Transformations has been my favourite of her books.

I'm currently reading Frank Norris's Pit

80 pages in, it's more of a 20th century costume drama than anything right now. The lead character is conceited, but she has three men in love with her.

I learned more about fashion terms, but it's not something I'd really recommend even though it's considered an American classic.

I'm reading Vineland and I think I would consider it even funnier, IV is still pretty good though.

This is my tenth day of reading the Bible, I'm 1/2 way through Judges. I enjoyed a good amount of Genesis but apart from that it's been a nightmarish slog.

Is that you?

217 pages into H.G. Wells, The Outline of History. It's obviously dated on some things like linguistics and evolution but it's still cozy.

Also just started listening to Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind as an audiobook

The Kennedy Brothers by Richard D. Mahoney, and Kerouac's On the Road.

Haven't really had the time to make a solid dent in Kerouac.

I'm about 170 pages into The Kennedy Brothers, and I'm mostly enjoying it. It's nonfiction, obviously, but it approaches its subject matter in a more narrative style, which is kind of a double edged sword. On one hand, it makes the book more engaging than typical nonfiction novel, but it also means that the author states most everything as though it's well-documented fact, when certain events are no more than speculated/described in first hand accounts of varying reliability (for example: the assertion that BOTH Robert and John Kennedy had an affair with Marilyn Monroe - there is very little evidence to suggest that Bobby did, and it's really not in keeping with his personality).

Regardless, though, its a decent and captivating book about two interesting men, their unique family, and the impact they had on American history.

Don't worry, you're about to get into the good stuff. Until maybe the prophets I can't think of any boring books after where you are.

Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House. It is MARVELOUSLY good.

I'm reading Ficciones and Dubliners at the same time, plus a poetry book by Herberto Helder called "Servidões" because I like a bit of poetry before bed.

I don't want to commit to a big book since exam season is coming up, after that I'm clueless as what I'm going to read.

I'm really enjoying them all. It's my first time reading Joyce and it's very different from what I imagined. I thought it would be more experimental even though these are short stories. Borges is a favourite of mine. In fact, I wrote a short story a few days ago (I usually write something once every year or so) and I noticed the writing style was very close to his. It also happened to be the best story I ever wrote. I love his imagination and even the themes in his stories are what I'd write about in a story of mine.

What do you like so much about it? I don't remember much at this point but I recall finding it mediocre.

OP here. It is indeed very interesting. I have sort of gotten a historical crush on her, if there would be any such thing. Not at the moment in the book there isn't much, as it is still setting the scene, but the author very early on seems to suggest that all the depraved lasciviousness is exaggerated by later historians and detractors to smear her. But surely, descriptions of those alleged falsehoods and exaggerations is there. Promiscuity, incest with her father and brother, etc.

Her father, Pope Alexander VI is also discussed a great deal, and how he arranged massive orgies as his time as cardinal, among other things.

Definitely get this book. It's worth it if you want to get smarter on her, and this time period.

This seems very good per your description, user. I'll make it a point to get around to reading it soon. I'm probably gonna purchase it with my next batch of books.

My curiosity is piqued

No Country for Old Men, almost finished it in fact, nice light reading and the themes of fate and free will are interesting. Chigurh is quite an interesting character.

utopia by thomas more

good so far, quite easy to read too

Aristophanes - Frogs
Chekhov's five major plays

Frogs is not funny except in the most juvenile sense, and is only worth reading for historical purposes

Chekhov is a master dramatist. I loved Ivanov but The Seagull didn't strike my fancy.