When u realise your literature and philosophy habit is probably making you more unhappy than you have to be

>when u realise your literature and philosophy habit is probably making you more unhappy than you have to be

Anyone else here try to stop reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B015XYBZFG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2A95ASYTO3Y2N&coliid=I1EACAMFXGUKI0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if this is iq, you should definitely stop reading. books are only going to put bad ideas in your head and your head is already full of them m8.

It makes me much happier

Try reading different stuff

Any recs senpai?

I could do with a fat dose of optimism to be honest.

this picture is extraordinarily amusing

not who you're replying to

but there is no genuine optimism outside of a deeply held christian faith.

you can fuck around with philosophy. you can make money, fuck bitches, eat dank french food. but you'll feel empty inside, i guarantee it. running around on a treadmill just to make the money to satisfy the next want.

it's your choice OP. God is always there to welcome you and has always been. You're the one that has been rejecting Him.

not who you're replying to

I'm a former believer and familiar with the feeling of emptiness you're talking about, but filling the void with something else can be equally rewarding if not more (see Ubermensch)

Also, OP, I don't get how learning can be a source of unhappiness. Maybe you should get out more.

>promoting anti-intellectualism unironically
No.

Check out the reading lists of top universities and stop browsing this board of angsty pseudointellectual high schoolers and community college students.

optimism doesn't help.

Christianity =/= optimism. Any Christianity that includes optimism is heterodox.

amazon.com/dp/B015XYBZFG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2A95ASYTO3Y2N&coliid=I1EACAMFXGUKI0

Thought a bit about that too.
But it wont help. It's not the books that make you more unhappy or whatever (at least for me; it's more like my inner state or something, books just help me to get it and thus make me actually a bit MORE happy, knowing that I'm not alone in these thoughts and that I'm OK). Stopping reading books may actually make you even more unhappy because, well, then you'll be left alone with your unhappy thoughts.
Anyway, what's bad about not being happy? It's the natural state for intelligent person after all. Get used to it.

who's iq? I've seen this iq person being mentioned a few times here

As a former believer, you just sound kinda boring, poorly educated and resentful. There are more directions one can take than slave to delusions promoted by marketing or slave to delusions promoted by the church.

Are there any other books like DEuSE that make you feel fine about being without being unintellectual? I'm thinking novels specifically.

Says Satan

Mind is a Myth felt a bit like Stirner to me but it's non-fiction.

>Anyway, what's bad about not being happy? It's the natural state for intelligent person after all. Get used to it.
Because sometime it gets to the degree that consciousness itself becomes painful to be honest.

Yes, I have increasingly become more and more anti-intellectual.

Happiness is a quality of slaves.

What does DEuSE stand for?
Is this what Nietzsche fags are on about? Take any criticism about how stupid and unworkable his philosophy is and say "Well...that thing is for slaves, faggot!"

h..hi satan

>What does DEuSE stand for?

Damn, I feel spooked as fuck for not realizing this

sounds like a linux distro or something desu

Slave moralists base their beliefs around resentment of their superiors. It's sort of like you and Nietzscheans

I use Mint but I wish Linux wasn't so spooked, Richard Stallman is a commie faggot and probably a Hegelian as well. Steve Jobs was also pretty spooked, which is ironic because aside from the Buddhism crap he was a total egoist and even looked a bit like Stirner.

>his world is not brightened increasingly with the knowledge he gains like a slow sun over the horizon

I used to read about 10-20 books per month. Now I read about 2 or 3.

go work as a gardener or teacher.

>spooked as fuck for not realizing this
How so?

>His world isn't one that has a strong and harmonious contrast of light and dark, like the mornings when the day is young and the sky clear

So you've improved.

>knowledge

>Christianity that includes optimism is heterodox

explain m80

pretty sure Jesus is pretty optimistic

how do i into witty?

by understanding what he means by grammar. that is the backbone of all his work. once that is done everything else reads like a light detective story.

Guillome Portes is most spooked of them all though.

Linus is alright, he's a mad cunt.

Which work of his should I start with?

why was steve jobs spooked?

Epicureanism is pretty happy

check the chapter "philosophy" of the big typescript. there youll get a nice picture of the thing. then, i guess the blue/brown books are a good starter.

He was New Age vegan hippie

I stopped for a while after I read notes from underground because the narrator was obviously the prototype for NEET and i had nightmares

This right here is exactly why philosophy doesn't work for you guys. The good ones with ethics actually involve you getting off of your ass and doing something. If a NEET character scares you so much, why don't you stop being a NEET? Or go the other way, confront being a NEET straight on and decide Dostoevsky is a wing nut who doesn't understand shit.

Today's young people are pussies.

become someone's sex slave and writhe in pleasure

As another former believer, I can still see the value of God.

Existentialism is freedom, but it's also terrifying because you have no direction. Nothing is right, nothing is wrong, and no decision you make is any better than the ones you turn down. You create your own meaning, but you're fallible and so you question whether you're truly happy at any point. You read and read and read, trying to find inner peace, and your view of life and grow more ambiguous and more terrifying for it. You will never know enough, you will never have enough, you will never be satisfied. You will devote your life to a validation treadmill and live in constant anxiety.

God worship offers a sense of stability, that your decisions feel validated. If you devote your life to faith, then you never have to worry about treadmill anxiety. Adhere to your faith, and then you are free to live with knowledge that you are doing what is required of you.

Stirner autists please stahp

Except he failed miserably at both

Actively despised the lower class

If you were truly an intellectual you would understand that establishing a goal that would in turn make you happy is always a possibility

You don't have to reject the truths of the world to have a goal.

As a music student I once told my music theory teacher that I wanted to be a composer and asked how to write melodies. He shrugged and said "If you don't have any melodies, no matter how much music theory you learn you'll never compose anything".

Philosophy/lit and goals are similar I think.

>you will devote your life to a validation treadmill
Many do, but if you treat life as an adventure and stay flexible there's no need for that. I'm an animal that needs proper nutitrion, exercise, social interaction and challenge to be anything close to happy. If I can avoid going without any of those things for too long, I can do anything without having a crisis.

That sounds too simple, but after you hit a certain point on the hierarchy of needs, it really is about taking care of yourself and recognizing the potential of radical freedom.

Away from me, Satan!

Zorba. The. Greek.

Here is the answer OP.

View the world objectively, let that wash over you. React to it, and then if you are indignified, make your goal to make the world as good as a place as you can on the micro and macro scale, with whatever talents you were given. Develop those talents, grow and learn, and increasingly help others and thus yourself in the process.

Fuck how things are, let's make them how they should be.

Inb4 dangerous as people react in a manner that creates psychopathy. Hold empathy above all things or prepare your anus desu.

Im something of an Existentialist, but also find meaning in many things. To the point that my narrative in enmeshed in a much larger narrative of humanism.

Each book I read enriches me, gives me insight into others and myself, and pleasure at knowing the minds of better people. For you God is stability, for me there is no stability except change. That's the buddhist in me, and it gives rise to suffering, yet aceptance of this and a reduction in certain cravings and ignorance reduce it.

Purpose comes from helping other people and yourself. From understanding, compassion, and growth. It's pretty similar to the way a Christian lives really, but instead of God I see humanity and nature as beings to which I belong, and which I can potent and nourish, and which can and do protect an nourish me.

Sure people are fallible, but our collective knowledge sees more and more, and together we can make God (a loving society, since God is love). But the problem with assuming your God isn't fallible, is that everything you know about God comes from other people, who are fallible. And so are you, meaning that very belief could he wrong.

However my aim isn't to dissuade you from your faith, merely to show you that our footing and aims isn't inherently different. We are both humans with the need for love, compassion, dignity, and purpose. Let us enrich one another rather than reduce.

The wise person is not minimized by differences and disputes, she is enlightened.

I'm the poster above this, she put it much better than I did. Allow the self to guide you OP, and remember we are all just selves adrift in a greater self.

>she

Get electro-convulsive therapy.

Thinking is fine unto itself, but its not necessarily useful and can cause problems.

>If you command them, "Bend before the Most High," they will answer: "If he wants to bend us, let him come himself and do it; we, at least, will not bend of our own accord."

Hardly

Good answer