I want to get into deep frying in general, but I can afford a deep fryer at the time

I want to get into deep frying in general, but I can afford a deep fryer at the time.

What are some techniques I can try to get into it? What are some utensils I’ll need and what are the best oil brands?

fry up a pizza, it contains all the food groups!

Do you have a cast iron skillet?
Forget brand, it's more about the oil type.
Peanut oil is expensive but has a high smoking point which is better for deep frying.
Canola oil might be your best option.

Well, if you can't afford a deep-fryer, you can't afford a cast-iron skillet, so you can take your deep-fried dreams and shove 'em up yer ass, faggot.

I have two old frying pans that have been on my family for a while, but they might need replacing soon. So I'll take a cast iron skillet into account when I go shopping.

Perhaps I've overestimated the price for a small deep-fryer, but I am on a tight budget. I might need to hold my dreams of deep frying at home for a while perhaps, but I'd like to be ready beforehand at least.

If you have anything that looks similar to this object in your home, fill it 2/3 with oil and place it on a burner and drop things you want fried into it. Use a slotted metal spoon to retrieve items from the oil once cooked.

R u chef?

great album

>can't afford a deep fat fryer

It's not as if they're expensive. Use rapeseed (canola to Americucks) or peanut oil. Never olive. It's also not rocket science, just heat it up and stick the food in. Trying to do it in a frying pan on the stove is a pretty good way to burn down your house.

I actually used a dutch oven to fry some chicken strips if you have one of those laying around. Exact same model too.
Just for the love of god (and not just for the dutch oven but your safety as well), don't fucking drop it.

>mr know-it-all

They're like.. 20 bucks, man. But do you really want to "get into" deep frying? Is that a hobby your health needs?

i will not compromise

it's no more unhealthy than any other method of cooking if done properly.

>But do you really want to "get into" deep frying?

Why not? It's a super useful tool to have in the kitchen that can be used to enhance many dishes.

>> Is that a hobby your health needs?

It's not automatically unhealthy unless you're a dumbass with no self control who decides to deep-fry food for every meal.

No, it for sure is an extremely unhealthy way of cooking

Why?

I'm guessing you're going to say something about "because the oil soaks in".

No, it doesn't. Not in any appreciable amount, anyway. If you fry at the correct temperature and don't overcrowd the fryer then very little oil gets into the food. Hence " healthy if done properly".

The risk is if the oil is not hot enough, or if too much food is added at once (which causes the temperature to drop).

You're talking marginal differences. It's like saying it's healthier to get stabbed in the stomach than in the chest

So what makes it unhealthy? Other than you shitting up the cooking?

If you don't want to bother with a thermometer, just stick the back of a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles start forming around it, the oil is hot enough.

It really depends on what you want to fry. If you want tortilla chips, throwing whatever oil you have on hand into an aluminum pan will work well enough. If you want to fry something delicate like cannoli, you're going to want better temperature control.

>You're talking marginal differences

No, I'm not. I'm talking about a huge difference.

That's the problem here. People are somehow programmed to think that fried is automatically unhealthy, when in reality that's not true at all. You can easily check this for yourself. Fry some food after having weighed it. Weigh it again afterwards. Now you can see exactly how much oil went into the food. And if you did it right, you'll see that amount is pretty fucking close to zero

>fat is bad for you

When will this meme die?

Is it plausible that the oil replaces the water while cooking throwing off the weight measurement?

no, the water inside your product is heated thus steams, steam creates a positive pressure that keeps the oil out. If you overcook your product to the point that it loses all moisture then you fucked up. But oil can penetrate the product if the fat is too cold to "steam" the water in the product. make sense?

Story pls user

This. And this is why it's so important that the oil is the correct temperature. If the oil isn't hot enough to instantly boil the water in the batter (or the outside layer of the food), then there will be no steam pressure to keep the oil out, and the oil will then soak into the food.

Fried food that is "soggy" with oil is that way because the oil wasn't hot enough to begin with, or the cook dumped too much food into the oil at once.

I was half getting it...
Then this brought it together for me.

This leads me to believe that frying frozen things would be counter productive because the time it would take to bring it from frozen to cooked means greater time in the oil?