How do you feel about consumerism in the book industry?

how do you feel about consumerism in the book industry?

youtube.com/watch?v=-fTlXv4Zm_Q

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NUsiuiXpm9w
youtube.com/watch?v=_kSwtFKGosM
instagram.com/p/BEdshRyk-8C/?taken-by=petitebritette
instagram.com/p/BD_WCmVk-8-/?taken-by=petitebritette
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Phe-nF_QtaI&ved=0ahUKEwih8cnszKjMAhUqnIMKHckQAe4QtwIIHDAA&usg=AFQjCNEuE1ZUeZ4-eh3QS2XkMJjOtNi0Ow
youtube.com/watch?v=b1nZtI1uLOs
youtube.com/watch?v=SYsL7BUO6c4
reddit.com/r/bookshelf/
instagram.com/p/BDjMXumk-w2/?taken-by=petitebritette
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mostly limited to chicklit, since that favors massive, tacky hardcovers. Girls buy it because they want something to read, whereas we - and most other sensible readers - buy a book because we sought out that title alone.

It's the difference between buying Moby Dick because you want to have read Moby Dick, or buying Confessions of a Teenage Witch because you just want to read.

I've moved on to piracy

What a qt.

Do any of these booktube sluts own books printed before 2000?

Dear god that video is painful to watch. It's the shitty generic upbeat youtube vlog music set to her saying every single book title as if it were a question. Also, didn't watch the whole thing, but the books looked like cancer.

I honestly don't understand the need to purchase books. I feel most people do it out of vanity. If I ever do buy/come into ownership of a book I either give it to someone I think would like it or donate it to the library.

Every time I go to a library it's old ladies renting serialized romance novels or faggots playing computer games. I'm worried the institution is going to begin to deteriorate. Does anyone else on /lit purely just check books out?

how do I write a book review. I'll start a /lit YouTube book review channel. I can review all the books I've read so far and what ever I'm reading now.

It's one thing to have bookshelves filled with books collected over a lifetime, it's another thing for a teenage girl to have her own personal Barnes and Noble of YA garbage.

Yes, most people do it for the vanity, but that's not a problem if it's something they can afford.

Whenever I watch a fragment of videos made by these American booktubers I can't help but throw up in my mouth a little bit.

How can the American editorial market be so fucking horrible? Look at all these covers, look at all these fucking shitty books. Is it normal for American people to just buy such shitty books all the time?

I've purchased about 20 books in the last 4 months. I don't do it out of vanity, books are not too expensive and my local public libraries are not well-stocked, so I have to resort to buying my literature. But I hardly ever buy philosophy books, I just pirate them from LibGen or Sci-hub and get access to science for free.

>American booktubers
>American people

Don't stereotype bro

Do it!

I have never seen 'booktubers' who are not American, and it doesn't take a genius to notice that the American editorial market is saturated with YA books. I'm just surprised that these books have an audience.

Do you know where we are? Think about it.

alright but I'm not a genius. so how do I write a review.

They're called girls. Go outside.

I keep my shelf intimate, I only keep works that have had an impact on me or are useful to refer to. I got rid of most of my pulpy sci-fi/fantasy books for example, but I kept a choice selection of what I felt holds up well. I have the complete works of Plato, Aristotle, Machiavelli and Nietzsche, as well as The World as Will and Representation, Spinoza's Ethics, Leviathan, The Wealth of Nations, a few collections of essays (mostly from Hume and Locke) plus a small collection of contemporary nonfiction that is mostly pop-political easy reading books I either bought for classes or on the recommendation of others (they mostly suck and I will end up destroying them, I do not allow bad books to continue circulation if I can help it).

My local library has a modest and unreliably available collection.

Of course I know this is an American board, and I took it into account when I made my post. There's no need to get defensive about it, in fact you should agree with me. Just take a look at the shitty books stacked on that shelf.

how old do you think she is?

Needs more John Green and
Jonathan Safran Foer

eh these people are an anomaly in the number of books they read but i know a lot of 20 something girls who mostly read YA

Shitty young girls reading shitty young girl books? Fucking shocker there, fellas.

Based on the books she's read I'd say 13 but she looks 18.

Who is John Green?

Just another dbag hack YA writer, aka Tumblr's favorite cismale son

>tfw I own literally zero (0) books
it's great not having to worry about them when I eventually get evicted. Everything I have fits in one single suitcase, and 95% of it are clothes

come at me you space wasting swines

wow i wonder what her hair smells like

>when she turns around and you can see her bra

I'm both a bibliophile and a materialist. I collect rare copies and several different editions of the same book. Don't get me wrong, I still read them, just not ones that I wanna keep in top condition. Back when I was into fantasy, I'd buy a new Terry Brooks book but not read it and instead read a library copy. It's pretty vain, you're right, but like I said I'm a materialist.

>she has more than 5 fucking loebs
>she has a collection of oxford world classics
>she speaks ancient greek
>she reads harry potter
>she reads the classics
>she doesn't read david foster wallace
>she is thick
>she has a cute accent

I don't think she could be more perfect.

youtube.com/watch?v=NUsiuiXpm9w

>she reads harry potter
>she is obese
These aren't good things, user.

>implying i don't have a chubby girls fetish
And she reads it in Greek too, it's forgivable.

>having enough money to buy books
>books you buy are complete shit
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Would you look at that, its like playing a game of "Find pleb lit" but its very easy.

>translations

He thinks he's the David Foster Wallace of young adult fiction writing and has Tumblr and two or more YouTube channels and jumpcuts a lot and is annoyingly happy/preppy

ready the piss bottles Veeky Forums

Eh I usually get my books used from a local shop that has a massive stock. Their books are usually below ten dollars which is my limit of how much I pay for a book.

youtube.com/watch?v=_kSwtFKGosM

This was best girl.

...and then she went from having an eating disorder to looking perfectly healthy to becoming a fat fucking pig.

heart.shattered.

People who read both low brow stuff and high brow classics but not contemporary literature are fucking disgusting.

I would be so disappoint if this was my daughter. I'd prefer she didn't read, to be honest.

The Book Whisperer Volume 2- A Crimson Kiss.

Women are basically dud children at this point. They all become this.

If you want to have kids, you have to make sure you have a boy. If you fuck up a boy, that's your fault. You didn't raise him right. But you can raise a girl perfectly and she'll just start sucking penises and attention whoring at 16 because the Internet told her to.

>dat old timey english accent doe

you consider this instagram.com/p/BEdshRyk-8C/?taken-by=petitebritette fat? you have a very distorted view of what is and isnt' fat

there are men booktubers too who read a lot of the same things

the low brow is mostly contemporary, you dumb faggot + she is smarter than you in every possible way

>Would have a downward spiraling relationship with that ends in me getting drunk and throwing all her books in the backyard, dousing them with gasoline and watching them burn before I pass out and piss myself agin

Anyone else feel petty sexism radiating from this thread? Why so much hate directed at young girls with YA shelves instead of adult men buying droves of shit fantasy? It's still money being put into the dying industry. It's still a broader circulation of correctly (if not well) written language. It's a lot less damaging to society than if those girls were buying People magazine and reading that when bored.
I hate people who pretend to read when they don't. But if someone's putting out cash to buy a book, chances are they're really reading it and unless it's some really toxic sludge that's probably only doing good things

Imagine having to pack all those books up when you eventually move house.

The Bookchemist is Italian. I've seen some Canadians too.

Because it's predominantly women. Feel free to post men.

We're all aware of homosexuals.

You're a waste of space

>tfw moving 600 books in a few months

kill me

>moving
>not finding the perfect home and cementing your position in life

I forget that Americans think 15lbs over weight is normal.

>Why so much hate directed at young girls with YA shelves instead of adult men buying droves of shit fantasy

There are many threads dedicated to latter. This one's dedicated to the former

It's common knowledge that men are the ones purchasing Name of the Wind type stuff. Go look at your local Barnes and Noble fantasy section

Post them then.

you're delusional if you think instagram.com/p/BD_WCmVk-8-/?taken-by=petitebritette this is fat

Those directed at the latter aren't labeled "consumerism in the book industry".

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Phe-nF_QtaI&ved=0ahUKEwih8cnszKjMAhUqnIMKHckQAe4QtwIIHDAA&usg=AFQjCNEuE1ZUeZ4-eh3QS2XkMJjOtNi0Ow

>someone spent 50000 hours on ms paint making this picture

Her face did get fat 2bh fäm

i can agree with that
she's still pretty cute though

youtube.com/watch?v=b1nZtI1uLOs

whale

Yeah, awful genetics

are there any patrician book tubers?

Because it's not. It's infatilism instead

Closest you will get: youtube.com/watch?v=SYsL7BUO6c4

she isn't 13, I can tell.

>not dumpster diving behind bookstores

You're not doing it right

I like collecting books. Maybe it's vanity but I enjoy it. Books are beautiful.

I also like it. but I like collecting things in general. hockey cards, video games and now books.

>Anyone else feel petty sexism radiating from this thread?

Yeah. If this is the first time you've noticed it on this literature subforum then you haven't been paying much attention

>Why so much hate directed at young girls with YA shelves instead of adult men buying droves of shit fantasy?

Good question. We used to make fun of these gentle sirs all the time:

reddit.com/r/bookshelf/

Maybe our new userbase just doesn't find it as funny

>I'd buy a new Terry Brooks book but not read it and instead read a library copy.
mental illness

that's some fucked up shit

I feel good about it.

this is only an american board 5pm-5am EST

It has a significantly slower post rate when the euros are asleep.

English people are so fucking wierd.

>sit down
>type up your thoughts on the story, characters, etc.
>maybe ad lib some stuff while recording
boom

Hey britettes publicist, try on this fat faced picture for size

instagram.com/p/BDjMXumk-w2/?taken-by=petitebritette

Still would take a moonlit stroll on a beach with senpai

I haven't seen many, but I'd say at least half are Brit or Aussie. And they're not all girls—a lot of poofy boys reading YA shit, too.

>tfw when no Regan gf

k here is my review of bloodmeridian

(final countdown intro plays)

bloodmeme ugh, this book was written by corncob tortillas YeCarthy.
I could blame Veeky Forums for making me read this, but I have no one to blame but myself. I wondered what all the memes were about and gave it a shot.
what I found out was, it's a meme for a reason.
it's a book about riding horses. it's about spitting. maybe occasionally killing some injins and taking their hair. then it's about getting wasted and partying.
3 quartets of the book is just about scenery and riding horses. they rode on and on and on and spat and ate some tortillas and spat and rode on and said ye.
corncob describes a lot of nice Vistas that I can't imagine because I'm not a pleb. so basically I could have skipped to the last 70 pages or so when the unkillable outlaw band somehow gets ambushed and all killed. yay it's not boring anymore. blah blah skip to a few years later. oh yeah the judge. he's some guy that's all smart and bad and stuff. well him and some kid meet up again. this is where corncob tortillas YeCarthy let's you chose the ending. it's like a puck your own adventure. wtf happened. who knows. this is what I think happened. I fucking hope you read this book or this review isn't for you. well some shit goes down with a bear and some girl and I think the kid rapes the girl, fuck I don't even know I wasn't really paying attention. well the judge don't like that to much and he challenges the kid to a game of blackjack. the kid bets all his chips on red and loses. he gets pretty pissed so he flips the chess board and pieces go flying everywhere and one actually hits the judge. well the judge he don't like that to much. he stands up and yells habeeb it and socks the kid right in his keister. the kid yells out twinkiehouse and the judge pulls down the kids pants and sticks his flaccid penor in the kids bum. the judge thinks of Margaret thatcher naked and gets a huge boner. like a 6 foot boner and the kid explodes. that's when some dude walks in and is all like "woah fuck this shit I'm out of here".
then there's some blurb about some other shit on the last page that flew over my head cuz I'm retard.
so yeah if you like riding horses and actually subvocalize and picture shit in your head this book might be for you. I thought it was a right snore fest. fuck you /lit for memeing into reading this. I got tortilla'd and I'm a stupid corncobber fuck.

YA is big in latin america and you can see a lot of videos of spanish speaking YA readers.

they are worse than the burgers one

I've found many books I'm interested in often don't have proper electronic releases. Poorly done scans missing pages, transcriptions full of typos, outdated edition from decades prior, or sometimes nothing at all. If everything you want has proper ebook releases I envy you.

>defending bad books

People who read Harry Potter and other YAshit generally do not ascend into higher literature, and these books are actually no better than television for intellectual purposes. The worst sin here is that the people who read these books think they're doing well for themselves.

For example my neighbor reads probably 4 or 5 books a month. It's all YA and romance. She's 46. Genre fiction is a similar kind of trap to fall into.

>youtube.com/watch?v=_kSwtFKGosM
too much lipstick

She seems nice, and I feel like it's our obligation to ruin her.

nope but she doesn't tingle my willy.

She said that she is starting her first year of college soon, so about 17.

It's a neccessary. A type of entertainment.