What's the closest michelin star restaurant to where you live? is it any good?

what's the closest michelin star restaurant to where you live? is it any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cvAMDv7jcfU
ny.eater.com/2016/7/29/12271550/smorgasburg-rant
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This vegetarian place
No idea, anything that triggers carnists is good in my book

Closest is ~2500mi away.
No idea.

what kind of cultural hellhole do you live in? siberia?

welcome to Veeky Forums where hillbillies rave about the new avocado fad and if something didn't exist in a 1950s indiana supermarket, it isn't real and if you disagree we should have dropped more bombs

I can't even figure out how to look it up.

If pic is related I haven't eaten at any of them.

>woodberry kitchen
Is it run by king arthur?

It's called Story, I haven't been there. I should go some time though, it's only five minutes down the road. I went to a place called Umu a week or two ago, 2 star Japanese. Really good, perhaps not quite as 'authentic' as the 2 star kaiseki I had in Tokyo, but better than the couple of other kaiseki meals I had in Japan.

I live in between New York and Chicago so those would be the closest.

there's not a single michelin star between 'go and new york?

Why would there be? It's ridiculous enough that the guide bothers with 'go

everyone has stars now, there's 3 stars in a little town of 300.000 people close to where I live.

Michelin has always been more focused on Europe because it's not unusual to find good restaurants outside of large cities there

If you go to a city of 300k in the US the locals' idea of a good restaurant is the Cheesecake Factory

3 star - 750m
2 star - 600m
1 star - 600m

feels good. there are two 3 stars within a 20 minute walk. many other closer ones of each ranking.

As far as I know michelin only goes to certain cities and only has a handful of inspectors.

In other words I could open up the best restaurant on earth in Atlanta or Miami and never even be considered for a star.

Paris? Tokyo?

>feels good. there are two 3 stars within a 20 minute walk. many other closer ones of each ranking.
and you'll never go to one of them :^)

This

In most us cities there are only chain restaurants and maybe some ethnic restaurants. The closest thing you'll get to fine dining is whatever the local American-Italian place is.

osaka

they are very reasonably priced. I have been to lots of 1/2 places but only the one 3 star.

what's your favorite anime, weebmaster?
have you met the emperor?

where I live in Europe (city around 700.000 inhabitants) we have 1x 2 star and 7x 1 star ... i worked in a few ones and eat there sometimes

why did you get fired?

According to the Wikipedia article I looked at Grace in Chicago is the closest (~25 miles away). i had never even heard of it until just now but it's got a 4.5 rating on Yelp and 4.6 on Google.

evangelion
yes
youtube.com/watch?v=cvAMDv7jcfU

I doubt there is much room for super-expensive restaurants. There's only a couple of places in the world where they can rely on consistent customers. With a ton of hype maybe they can survive a year or two on jetsetting foodies outside of the millionaire hubs.

Ultimately even most of the Michelin star restaurants have to rely on plebian punters like us, spending a couple days first worlder minimum wage per person at most.

Your emperor lives in a bungalow?

i live in new york city, so literally everywhere. michelin gave 75 different nyc restaurants at least one michelin star. they're all good.

that is the building for the imperial household agency, not his actual house

梅田にすんでいる?

worked 15 years in different Restaurants across europe ..i have my own Business now...

no. dotonbori.

when will they have an emperor that truly reflects the moe generation?

why don't you have a star?

literally a street vendor in Thailand has a star

>Google translate
You're impressing none you stupid, stinking, weeaboo fuck.

in recent years the guide has attempted to respond to criticisms of eurocentricity by picking random asian joints and throwing a star at them

in general this has been very poorly received both by the original audience of the guide, and people who go to those other sorts of restaurants (there is more overlap between them than you might think)

in my city some random asian joint got a star, causing the place to get flooded by customers, causing them to radically overhaul their menu, pissing off the original clientele

they should stick to what they're good at, which is western european style white tablecloth dining with sommelier service and so on

if they want to break into other styles of food, make a separate system, don't just jam it in randomly and confuse everyone

Veeky Forums has at least 3 different confirmed Michelin star chefs that browse this board.

who? Also it's not that far out. Getting a star is extraordinary, but it's like.. getting a position as a professor as a scientist, many have them now.

Bullshit.

cooks, not chefs

each restaurant employs dozens of people, it's not that far-fetched

I've had Veeky Forums convos with people who work at several restaurants in my area, why would it be a surprise that angry misanthropes in the food industry would need a place to shitpost?

Kuk

I live in Brooklyn, so there are over 70 Michelin starred restaurants within 15 miles of me. The closest one is a place I've never been. They only have 12 seats, and do only one reservations only seating a night for $125 a person promptly at 8PM. I do approve of their policy, though:

"We do not accommodate for the following dietary restrictions: vegetarian, vegan or pescatarian diners, gluten allergies, dairy allergies, nut allergies, fish/shellfish allergies or strong dislikes (i.e pork, raw meat, red meat, cilantro) at this time."

Not as funny as the
>we do not accept reservations for Asians or Upper West Siders
whoops looks like I won't be going there!

Closest Michelin star
>French Laundry
Is it good?
>obviously the answer is yes.

isn't that illegal?

There are 3 here in Charleston, it's really a crime that I havnt been to Husk. Maybe I'll go this weekend and report.

Closest one to me is Elizabeth. Are there once and the food was pretty imaginative and good

>fine dining
>anything other than overpriced shit

Fruit loops and egg jerky?

oh, yeah
i guess that makes sense.
shame really

God, the accommodate everyone's whining crowd really ruins everything.

Are you talking about the Bib Gourmand recommendations? To me they make sense. Pretty much all they mean is you can get a good meal there with a drink for $40. And all the places near me with that recommendation are good places I would recommend. But they're not places I go to very often because I'm spoiled - I live in a place where I can get great meals without a drink (or even table service) for $5-$10. So I only feel the need to spend more than that once in a while.

no I'm talking about giving a star to places like tim ho wan in HK or laut in NYC

not bib gourmand

Laut is a controversial one, to be sure. But if you were trying to pick the best Malaysian restaurant in a city where most of them are hole in the wall places it makes sense as a choice. But the choice seems absurd when you compare it to other better places that don't have a star.

Then again the Michelin system never claims to be perfect or all knowing. They have their standards, their inspectors and their guide. But at the end of the day the whole thing only exists because a tire company wanted to sell more tires to rich people who might travel to have a good meal.

No, he's talking about the fact that they gave Michelin stars to two noodle stalls in a Singaporean shopping mall. These aren't tippity-top noodle joints pushing at the very bounds of culinary excellence, they're just stalls in a food court which 'offer Cantonese soya sauce chicken and BBQ pork' (this is the description from the Michelin guide). Sure, it might be some of the tastiest soya chicken and BBQ pork you've ever had, but it's takeaway noodles served in a polystyrene box.

The reasoning is unclear, but it seems that the guide wants to counter claims of cultural imperialism,get a bit of mainstream press coverage, and sell some tyres in Singapore. Whatever the reason, it's not because the noodle stalls in question meet the standards for a Michelin star. If they were somewehre in the West they'd never even bother to inspect them.

>most of them are hole in the wall places
this is where my autism kicks in, laut is as much a hole in the wall as any, it just happens to be off union square which means it attracts a certain sort of crowd. "hole in the wall" is just white people speak for "I went to a part of town where people with a different set of facial features hang out and I didn't try to pronounce the name of the restaurant"
>They have their standards
and what standards are those, exactly? most people kind of expect at least an attempt at a good drinks list, it doesn't have to be full autist dustin wilson style somm service, but it rustles my jimmies when a starred restaurant is slinging pints of sapporo draught and hot sake by the carafe

what are more prestigious awards than michelin?

My approval

I ate at Jaimie van Heije in Ouderkerk aan de Amstel

They don't have a star yet but I'm pretty sure they will, the food was top notch quality

When are this years stars getting handed out?

>The reasoning is unclear, but it seems that...
Could be that dining has changed over the past two decades, especially in NYC. White tablecloth joints are no longer the de facto standard for what constitutes a top tier food experience. Street food flavors and dishes have been working their way up the ladder into more upscale places for a while, and that's given us a new kind of diner - the person who is there just to get the amazing dish, but doesn't give a fuck about the restaurant experience. Plenty of places aimed at this kind of diner have sprung up, many dispensing with service and seating altogether.

I get it. I'm one of those folks who would trade the restaurant experience for just the amazing food in many cases. And I'm not alone. Plenty of folks see this trend as what's wrong with the NYC dining scene today. Here's an example:
ny.eater.com/2016/7/29/12271550/smorgasburg-rant

It could just be the guide adapting itself to a change in dining style instead of a clumsy attempt at multiculturalism.

If they did have a somm and he honestly told you what drinks the chef intended the dish to be paired with, what would you think he'd recommend?

>"hole in the wall" is just white people speak for "I went to a part of town where people with a different set of facial features hang out and I didn't try to pronounce the name of the restaurant"
Disagree. Hole in the wall means I went to a place that did not aspire to the standards of the upper middle class or higher. I'll grant you most of these places are run by immigrants, but that should hardly come as a surprise. The restaurant industry runs on immigrants - even in upscale places it's likely immigrants who are cooking your food.
>what standards are those, exactly?
For Bib Gourmand it's a good meal and a glass of wine for $40. Beyond that I don't know because I'm not an inspector. I think of it as a safe bet. Michelin recognized places do not suck, of if they do they're about to lose Michelin status. I don't feel the need to lean on their ratings because in NYC any reasonably savvy diner can get food just as good as what's served at Michelin recognized places for less dough, if they know where to go. But if you don't have the time to do that kind of research they're a safe bet.

apparently I would have to drive ~10 hours to chicago. there don't seem to be any in minnesota at all, or in wisconsin. I'd have thought there might be at least one in minneapolis or milwaukee. but then the upper midwest is not exactly famous for its exciting culinary scene.

>captcha: bar tier
>perfect descriptor for minnesota restaurants

thing is we don't see those "adaptations" applied by lowering standards at italian or french style joints. just random asian token joints
I wouldn't assume a 1 star has full somm service, just a competent selection of drinks

even a half-assed lineup of reasonable (not mass market) gewurtz, riesling, and maybe some random godellos or whatever would be enough to make me not throw a temper tantrum. like they did at junoon. or a good cocktail lineup, like at cafe china.
again, we're not talking about bib gourmand here, we're talking about *starred* restaurants.

ワイトピッグはうちに変えて。

>lowering standards at italian or french style joints. just random asian token joints
This makes sense to me, though. There's a specific set of expectations that go with French fine dining - it's VERY codified. As is Italian at the high end. The set of expectations is very spelled out. This is not the case in other cuisines. The supposed best sushi place in Japan is in a Tokyo subway station. You wouldn't find a great French restaurant in the Paris Metro.

My point is it's a big world out there, and people are increasingly aware of food and dining styles from other places. While in much of the world the high end is still dominated by restaurants modeled after French fine dining it's no longer the only game in town.

>we're talking about *starred* restaurants.
I have no problem with a noodle stall getting a star if it's the best damned noodle shop inspectors managed to find, and the Guide clearly states the kind of establishment it is. It's high time they acknowledged that some meals worth making a trip for are not going to be served in a traditional Western style restaurant.

>>ワイトピッグはうちに変えて
Google Translate just let you down, weeaboo boy.
t. Japanese speaker.

>This makes sense to me, though
not to me. until they start throwing stars at western food trucks and street food, it smacks of orientalism in the pejorative sense of the word. these inscrutible asians have their exotic ways, who can say what comfort is and isn't? perhaps to them, sake out of a cardboard box and cheap macro rice lager and food slapped on a paper plate can be considered high standard drinking, just as as a first growth bordeaux and elegantly plated meals are in the west!

no, that is bullshit, and it is kind of racist, and many people seem to agree with me. if they're going to try to strike out into new territory they can put a little effort in, and find some common ground with the enlightened east. you can find a high standard of service and top tier drinks and elegant decor if you only look for them, but they had to throw in chang's random dumpling house to show how "diverse" they are because it seems clean tables and well dressed staff and being somewhat selective about what drinks you serve are all western inventions and any place that tries any of that is insufficiently authentic. maybe that's not what they mean but that is how it comes off.

i don´t have a restaurant ( i am not crazy)
i have a catering business, work as private cook

I live in TX so apparently Chicago or San Francisco are the closest cities with michelin star restaurants.

>There's a specific set of expectations that go with French fine dining - it's VERY codified.

I find it ironic that you picked Japanese as your counter-example for this. Edo-style sushi is just as codified, if not moreso, than classic French cuisine is. They have their "rules" for how the sushi is prepared and served just like how Escoffier is the "bible" for fine French dining. Jiro is a lot like most classic French chefs: he sources high-end ingredients and prepares classic recipes with exacting attention to detail, exactly the way the standard suggests. Jiro makes, say, maguro sushi with the exact same anal attention to detail that Joel Robochon would use when preparing Coq Au Vin.

The location of the restaurant doesn't have anything to do with how the cuisine is made. Japanese train stations are massive. They hold every kind of business including restaurants (from fast food to ***), banks, lawyer's offices, clothing stores, you name it. It's no different from any other piece of real estate.

>i don´t have a restaurant ( i am not crazy)
why? are you a babby that starts crying when it gets a little stressful?

The south is sorely neglected. I've been to quite a few spots in New Orleans, Houston and Austin that should have 1 star at least.

>it smacks of orientalism in the pejorative sense
It wouldn't be the first time the French have gone in for that. They have a long history of orientalism going back hundreds of years.
>maybe that's not what they mean but that is how it comes off.
Not to me. I really see it as a response to a different kind of diner that has emerged over the last couple decades. The kind of diner who appreciates fine dining, but doesn't necessarily identify with it - doesn't require the paint by the numbers trappings of it. They spend money going out to eat, but aren't impressed by white tablecloths, and generally do not put on a jacket and tie for dinner. They're likely to show up in jeans and Converse.

But they still want to know where the good stuff is, and if the Guide is to remain relevant it's going to have to embrace restaurants that veer beyond the bourgeois standards your rich aunt and uncle held dear.

> being somewhat selective about what drinks you serve

What a strange thing to get hung up about. They serve plebians a coke, no Michelin star allowed?

About 35 miles, and yes, it's good, but I've enjoyed eating at some closer ones which I thought were better.

>Japanese train stations are massive.
I know. I have had several memorable meals at the food court under Shibuya station. And I'm aware Edo style sushi is very codified. I'm just saying finding a great restaurant in a subway station is no more absurd than acknowledging a hawker stall serves a world class example of a particular dish.

At the end of the day the question Michelin seeks to answer is: "Is this restaurant good enough to merit a trip solely for the purpose of eating there?" Back in the day when only wealthy bourgeois could consider making such a trip all the restaurants they recommended had to live up to the expectations of that class. But today that's no longer the case. A generation of diners who grew up watching Bourdain on TV has money to spend, and many of them don't give a fuck about amenities as long as the food is excellent. These people don't need a sommelier to tell them they ought to order a bottle of Pinot Noir if the table is sharing it, because that has the best chance of pairing with the different dishes everyone is eating. They'll just have whatever the locals are drinking.

Class has always been part of it. Fine dining has always had an aspect of keeping the lower classes out. This is reflected in the cost, the manners, dress codes and the like. And that used to be fine, because the only people really spending money dining out were those who appreciated such things. Today plenty of diners are willing to dispense with the bourgeois trappings as long as they can have access to great food. Hell, the proliferation of high end food courts is practically proof of this. People want food on the level of fine dining without the other trappings of it. Michelin can't really ignore this.

> look at michelin star map
> see one that looks super close
> click on it
> literally 500 feet from where I live
> how have I never seen this place?
> look up picture of entrance

fuck off new york

you're still missing the point. this is not about aping the exact fine dining traditions of france, it's about capturing some core essence of what "the best restaurants" means, and making a sincere effort at looking for restaurants that fit that ideal

you keep getting hung up on weird non-issues like wearing jeans or whether there are white people in the dish room, I'm not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse or if you genuinely believe that giving out stars to a restaurant that deliberately dresses the staff in jeans and trendy sneakers is the same as giving out stars to a restaurant putting up microwave boxed sake and sapporo draught as a prominent alcohol offering

being willing and able to accommodate a diner who wants a coca cola is not the same as completely abandoning any efforts at presenting drinking options to a high standard

except, of course, if the restaurant isn't french or italian, in which case anything goes, those crazy asians eat gutter oil it's like indiana jones over there LMAO give this one a star!

>I have had several memorable meals at the food court under Shibuya station.
By that I mean I ate some instant ramen whilst looking around it on Google maps.

A restaurant in jew york without handicapped access? WTF?

My point is that over the last two decades there has been a shift in focus from the "restaurant experience" to the act of obtaining great food while dispensing with much of that experience. The restaurant will always be relevant because people will always be willing to pay for the experience. But the set of people who see the restaurant as the only source of "the best" food are old now. If Michelin wants to remain relevant they have to acknowledge that some of the places serving food so good it's worth making a special trip to eat are not restaurants in the traditional sense. They may not even have seating. And many diners willing to make a trip to eat at these places don't care about that, as long as the food is excellent.

lolno. A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a job that took me to Tokyo four times. Never would have made it there on my own dime, so I'm thankful I had the experiences. Saw most of Europe the same way. If you're not independently wealthy and you want to see the world get a job that involves travel.

>I live in Brooklyn

but isn't it charming?

>I was lucky enough to have a job that took me to Tokyo four times.
>luckey
Japan's actually pretty fucking boring.

It wasn't to me. Then again I've only spent a total of four weeks there. So when I wasn't working, traveling or sleeping I was just wandering around eating good food. The food was very good, and I'd happily go again if the opportunity came up.

I live about 400m from Noma.
I've only been there once, four years ago.

>My point is that over the last two decades there has been a shift in focus from the "restaurant experience" to the act of obtaining great food while dispensing with much of that experience.
except that this has nothing to do with the issue

you are confusing a change in formality expectations at restaurants serving high end western food, with a comprehensive lack of standards when awarding stars to restaurants serving asian food

when the burger joint at le parker meridien gets its much deserved star, you'll have an argument

there are 19 michelin star restaurants near where i live, the most reputable probably being Le Manoir.

i've never actually been, i should really save up

You're mixing up the Michelin stars and "5 stars on yelp" rating systems. If you want solely an indicator of delicious food, go to any common review website. The michelin stars should be reserved for exceptional restaurants that provide exceptional everything from food to service.

I agree with your point about the change in your common diner in this day and age, but find it to be irrelevant to the michelin's rating system. Fine dining restaurants will always exist; why not keep their rating system exclusive?

oh we also have the hand and flowers, i have been there. really liked it

This is understandable, though. The change moves more slowly in places where the Guide is well established, and a star has a particular set of expectations that go along with it. The longer the history of the Guide in a particular place the more that history will shape both inspectors' and readers' expectations about what exactly a star means. In places where the Guide is a more recent arrival these expectations are less set. Change will happen from the frontiers, and come last to France.

>You're mixing up the Michelin stars and "5 stars on yelp" rating systems
he's also mixing up michelin stars with michelin bib gourmand, which is odd because he asked about it several times and then kind of blew it off after being corrected several times

it's more likely that they'll fix their approach to asian restaurants by finding places that fulfill a coherent standard of high end dining

these places do exist, the problem is that you can't find them by defining them as "what the michelin guide chose", because the michelin guide fucked up badly

it shouldn't be that difficult, they just need to actually try. it's clear they didn't

>Fine dining restaurants will always exist; why not keep their rating system exclusive?
Good point. But as I understand it three Michelin stars means the place is so good that it's worth a specific trip just to eat there. I think it's entirely possible that a place could be that good and not be a fine dining restaurant. If the Guide chooses to acknowledge that with the caveat in the description that the place is not a fine dining destination I'm cool with that.

I live 20 min outside of yountville. French laundry and a fuck load of others are right around the corner. I cant afford any of them

I'm 150 miles from this place
It's good but not good enough for me to go back

ever been to geranium?