If I can smell chicken strongly through the plastic, is it bad...

If I can smell chicken strongly through the plastic, is it bad? My mom bought me $8 worth of chicken thighs yesterday morning and as early as yesterday afternoon I started noticing even opening the fridge meant I was getting hit in the face with a chicken smell. I don't eat chicken that much so I don't know if it's supposed to have a smell or what, but the packed on date is august 6th and the sell by date is today. This shit stinks and I don't want to keep smelling it, but at the same time I don't want to waste it unless I'm 100% sure it's gone bad. Any tips from you cooking pros?

*animu
On a food and cooking board.

No, it shouldn't smell, even stinks. Throw it out.

Dumb anime poster

In my (home cooking) experience chicken has virtually no smell at all so: smells bad, is bad.

Should I see if they're slimy or something? I think I remember reading if they're slimy after you wash them they're bad.

Plot twist: Your mother bought chicken for herself, then realised she left it in the boot of her car all day. It went bad so she palmed it off to you. Kill her.

Kill her now.

If your nose isn't garbage almost everything has a smell, ignore these burn-outs.

Chicken thigh has a smell, its a darker cut and tends to have more chickeny-ness to it.

If the smell is sour, rancid, or off in any way you need to throw it out. The human nose has evolved to know when a meat is rotten or just smells like meat. It could be the case that you just dont like the smell of chicken thigh but I wouldn't risk it.

I will admit that more than once I have cooked with beef that skirted the line between not-so fresh but only in stew and I wouldn't take the risk with poultry or pork.

If you can smell meat, especially poultry, but don't want to violently vomit, it's not fucked. Same with eggs.

Just let the weeb get food poisoning. If he's too stupid to know if chicken is ok to eat he's not worth your time.
Veeky Forums needs a weeaboo purge.

I slit open the package and put my nose near it, I gagged and threw that shit in the trash immediately. The thing is, I've cooked with chicken thigh before and I don't remember any smell, so it must have been really off. Now the question is why the fuck did my mom buy it if you can smell the chicken stink through the fucking packaging just by being within a foot of it? It couldn't have gone bad spending 4 hours in t the fridge, she bought bad meat.

Everything has smell. Our noses job is to help us identify stuff. Nearly all flavour is our nose working. The tongue can only judge the levels of acidity, saltiness, bitterness, sweetness and umami. Making sense of wether that sweet stuff is a strawberry or cherry is your nose working.

If something that is not supposed to befermented smells like a dish rag, throw it out. If meat that is not supposed to be aged smells tangy, throw it out. Even food being "off" doesn't mean it's bad or unedibe. Sourcream is what it sounds like. Cheese mould is not only harmless but the whole point of certain cheeses. Hanging/aging meat to tenderize it and give it flavour is controlled decomposition.
That said, if it wasn't done on purpouse and under controlled conditions you should probably be cautious and use good judgement.

You chicken is fine OP. If it smells like chicken, it's chicken. When it starts to smell like an old rag you can worry.
Your olfactory sense is faulty. This can be due to all kinds of severe neurologic problems that you should probably get checked up for.

Kill her! Check that your fridge is working and if any clocks in the house are flashing to indicate a power blackout or something.

I have noticed discount stores have shoddy quality standards when it comes to their meat, to the point where I am about fed up with shopping at my local store because of how vigilant I have to be even though they are 1/3rd the price.

ALDI is some of the worst offenders. I will not buy meat from them. The shit is usually not even completely wrapped. Old people with shitty sight and smell should just stop shopping because you really have to prod and judge every scrap of meat you buy.

A local butcher is usually a better option BUT thanks to cunty "foodie" culture a lot of nu-males are opening up meme butcheries without the experience, standards, and traditions to run them properly and tend to be horribly overpriced and a lot of times unhygienic.

Eventually those faggots burn out and become assholes to everyone who enters the store without buying $100 worth of meat and give you a guilt trip about "supporting the little guy".

Raw chicken always smells unpleasant to me.

TJs is pretty terrible too

I get my meat from Whole Foods because it's cheaper than the farmer's market and there are actual butchers there

I never go to "the little guy" because it's fucking gross, the people working there are assholes, and their hours are like 11 am to 3 pm Tuesday to Thursday, closed from 12 to 1:30 for lunch

Wasn't aldi or any nigger store like that, it was free-range chicken from a local farm sold in a family-owned grocery store down the street from me that's been in business since the 40s. I think she just picked a bad package from the refrigerated section and didn't notice because she tossed it into the fridge and went to work.
This was straight up stink, not just a smell coming off some raw meat.

Haha holy shit I guess the "little guy" shop is a widespread problem. Just yesterday I didn't buy chicken breast at the store because its usually shit and the butcher who is NEXT DOOR was closed at noon on a Monday.

Ended up going to a mid-chain that has butcher hours and bought perfectly good display breast for like 2.99 a pound. Probably would have been $5-6 lb at the butcher.

I am sort of torn on Whole Foods. there was a time when they were the only game in town and worth the premium but nowadays they seem to have fallen behind in the supply game when most stores carry perfectly competent organic and local sections for much less markup.

The only thing I think is great about Whole Foods is their made-up meals, soups, and desserts that utilizes surplus stock in delicious ways. To this day I haven't been able to find a Lamb Stew as good as the one Whole Foods made.

In my experience Aldi meat is actually pretty OK. Never had problems with it.
Btw. always get packed ground meat. It's actually fresher than the shit you get at the "Frischetheke" in Edeka.
Chicken can be quite smelly sometimes, especially if it is free range stuff and if you're not used to it I guess you can actually gag from it. Not saying it wasn't fucked, but maybe.
It's pretty weird with some meat, for example the best calf meat is from the worst conditions.
Just tell your mom, if it's actually a family business she can just tell them that shit was fucked and probably get a free, new pack, maybe eben some other stuff.

>Haha holy shit I guess the "little guy" shop is a widespread problem
I struggled with it for a few years before I gave up on them. Don't bother supporting small businesses anymore, except in a very small number of cases where they earn it. Like this french bakery near my work, they act like they are doing you a huge favor to just put a croissant in a bag and pour some coffee, but the croissants are so fucking good IDGAF
>when most stores carry perfectly competent organic and local sections for much less markup.
The "indie" store near my has organic meat and stuff, but several times I've bought ice cream from them that was clearly thawed and re-frozen, so I regardless of how clean the animals lived, I don't trust anything perishable from there. Whole Foods is at least big enough where they won't give any fucks about throwing out something where someone broke the cold chain. They may not care enough to bother throwing it out either, but that's less likely.

she is obviously trying to kill you. check for life insurance taken out for you where she us tge sole beneficiary.
Have you been cock blocking her when she brings chad home?

If you can smell it already i wouldnt recommend using it.

Anime website

You can post anime but not discuss it on non anime boards you cretin

Uguu~~~

>I must defend the honor of Veeky Forums

There is no board on Veeky Forums that's a safe space from anime; you'd literally be destroying one of it's purposes for doing so. It shouldn't take you this long to be desensitised from it now, that is assuming you've been here long enough.

This sums it up perfectly.

>anime site
Why is the videogames board way bigger than the anime one lol.

And you seriously don't notice the countless threads based on anime games?

The weebs aren't the ones posting Jack/Joey or shitty memes faggot. But you go on being a tryhard. That'll show them not to post on your board.

All anime posters should be banned form Veeky Forums!!!!

akarin would never endorse this

To get away from the Japanese Crapanese, yes - chicken thighs will smell chickeny, irony, yucky - even from a freshly slaughtered bird. I've wrung enough chicken necks to know.

By the time you get through plucking and cutting, about the only thing that doesn't have a smell is the breast, and it has a smell if you stick your nose in there and sniff.

The next time you buy pork loin, pork ribs, or even beef - take a deep whiff. It all has a smell - not really pleasant. If it smells putrid, that is a different story.

haha, time to bully!