Sea Salt

What even is this "sea salt" meme?
I keep seeing it everywhere at the grocery store.
Is it even different from normal salt?

Other urls found in this thread:

cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/51-salt
youtube.com/watch?v=wOV1e1sjmmY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's from the sea

>Is it even different from normal salt?

Yep. Normal salt is just sodium chloride. Sea salt contains other minerals than just sodium chloride so it tastes different.

You wonder that now? Sea salt at least is dirt cheap, whereas the shitty himalaya salt cost like what, 10$/250g?
The differences are so small you'll probably not even notice them, just get whatever salt they produce near to you, or if you don't care for that, get the cheapest you can find.

it tastes slightly different, definitely not better, but it sounds cooler so it gets used a lot

it was originally salt water from the sea and they took the water out

basic science, actually

Support your local salt mines!

may sound stupid, but Germany has Bad Reichenhall, France produces a lot of sea salt and I'm sure Austria and Swiss got some stuff of their own as well. They are a little more expensive than the cheapest stuff from discounters, but 250g of salt last quite some time, so I might as well pay 1€ for it instead of 50ct.

I only use single origin free range bio kosher salt from pine myself
Something something mouthfeel

Also, remember that until about 20 years ago, tens of millions of tons of toxic waste was dumped in the seas EACH YEAR.

Why would that bother me?

Every time I go to some friend's house to eat they always go "here's some SEA salt if you need some". Big fucking deal, it's just salt. The only difference I notice is chomping on a huge chunk of salt.

What's your point?

I drink and smoke every day. Why on earth would this dissuade me from enjoying salt from the sea?

they still dump waste, but the sea is really big.

Enjoy your mineral deficiencies you cuck. I bet you're a circumcised non-jew american.

Vegetarians and vegans tend to use sea salt over normal salt because it got a lot of
iodine in it

it's the other way around

Sea salt has more flavor, you can use less of it compared to regular salt and you still taste more.

>I bet you're a circumcised non-jew american
What curious thing to say. I am intrigued by your thought process that arrived at this conclusion.

Yea my cousin told me that but he falls for a lot of marketing tricks

This is what autism looks like

alton brown berated someone on food network star for using the term sea salt because
"all salt is sea salt, there is no salt if there was not one a sea"

>halite
Alton Brown is clearly full of shit.

Flakes are pointless to put into anything it will dissolve into, might as well use granulated table salt.

Use sea salt flakes when you want a burst of saltiness from your food.

>skin of baked potatoes
>Sprinkled over meats
>sprinkeld over salads

>People eating non-iodized salt.

Enjoy your goiters.

halite is an evaporite, which means it's the result of an evaporated body of saltwater you dumbass.

Do people really do this?
I mean, mineral salt is one thing, but non-iodized salt is purely retarded.

Maybe it's good enough for salting meat to be cured or to de-ice the streets, but ISHYG don't regularly eat non-iodized salt.

Non-iodized salt is mostly needed for pickling. Iodine fucks up lactic bacteria.

Third worlders or time travelers from America in the 1920's?

>but non-iodized salt is purely retarded.

Depends on what you want it for.
For random everyday cooking? Sure, it's fine. That's what I use.

But it will fuck up certain things, like cured meats, pickling, or fermenting (like, say, sauerkraut). I also avoid it for sausage making.

Plenty of iodine in dairy, friend.

Yeah and there's tens of millions of tons of toxic gas being blown into the atmosphere too but I don't see any autistic threads about outdoor air vs bottled air

I only see this meme at Wendy's here. Maybe because I'm so far from the sea...

all salt in BR comes from the sea

>but non-iodized salt is purely retarded.
why? you think fish is "gross"? I bet you think putting vitamin C in flour is normal too and not retarded.

cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/51-salt

Sea salt makes more sense on the long run.

The salt itself used in table salt (vacuum salt) is the purest salt you are going to get except for lab-grade, on the other hand the anti-caking agents are often a bit questionable.

For some obscure reason nowadays the preferred anti-caking agent is a cyanide salt, the second most popular an aluminium salt. It's like they want to poison us.

get diamond crystal and you don't have to worry about the anti-caking shit. Only that shitty morton's "When it rains it pours" salt uses the anti-caking shit for marketing purposes.

what the fuck

inb4 "muh low bioavailability"

That shit get mixed with citrates and a buzzilion of other organic molecules, they go through high temperature environments etc.

Only the Kosher variety, everything else still has anti-caking agents.

no

Then why is it that when I visit the Diamond Crystal website that only the "Kosher" and "Canning" salts are advertised as additive-free?

you changed your original statement, for one

The seasalt is also additive free. The specialty salts do have additives. But really for cooking you wouldn't use anything other than kosher (for seasoning), pickling (for brines) and seasalt (for brines/finishing)

>you changed your original statement, for one

I didn't change any statement at all, user. I have made three posts so far in this thread:
...and this will make my fourth post.

>only kosher

kosher and canning

That's nice. wasn't me. Thus, I clearly couldn't have changed my statement because I never made a statement in the first place.

There's more than one of us who realizes that the assertion that Diamond Crystal brand is uniquely free of anticaking agents is absurd.

The two main salt brands are mortons and diamond crystal. Only diamond crystal doesn't use additives.

No ID's here, that wasn't him.

Shut the fuck up you cumdumpster faggot!

Yes, I understand your claim perfectly well. I disagree with it. I think that most of Diamond Crystal's salt does indeed include anticaking agents. This makes sense given that Diamond Crystal only advertises their specialty products as being additive-free. The implication is that most of the product line (i.e. normal table salt) contains anti-caking agents just like everyone else does.

If you happen to have a photo of the ingredients list on a container of plain diamond crystal salt that shows no anti-caking agent then I will gladly stand corrected.

>Tfw you live in a country without salt mines
>Sea salt is just salt
>Mineral salt that is the meme

Ow yeah, they clearly are so different

Ahh i see.You consider kosher salt a specialty salt. That is where the communication broke down.

The sea salt has Magnesium carbonate, but I don't really care much about a bit of magnesium.

Point taken about the canning salt, that's pure too.

>You consider kosher salt a specialty salt.

Yes. And so does everyone else. That's why it's called "Kosher" salt instead of just "salt".

So special!

If I understand what you call "normal salt" is salt from a mine right? So it have a lot of other minerals too, the same as any sea salt...what you are saying is 100% geologically impossible to happen

Whole label, please. No crop.

>If I understand what you call "normal salt" is salt from a mine right?

Perhaps that was its original origin, but it was most likely refined before it was sold.

When I say "normal salt" I mean what is sold in supermarkets and found on tables worldwide. I suppose you might call it "table salt"?

It's origins are most commonly mining. Some of it comes from the sea. It's then refined before being packaged, so the other minerals have been stripped out. It typically has anticaking agents and iodine added. It's not as if the salt comes straight out of the mine and onto your plate. Surely that would be obvious simply by looking at it. It's far too clean and the crystals are much too uniform for it to have come straight out of the ground.

Specialty salts like PHS are "straight out of the mine" though. You can clearly see the different color.

The most common minerals are taken out, it's >99.9% pure.

That is the complete ingredient list.
You have no idea what kosher salt is do you? I'll help you..it's salt that is larger grained than table salt. If you want a small grained table salt with no additives then fill you salt shaker with pickling salt or blitz kosher salt to a finer grain. But the idea that you need to salt your food at the table would imply to me that you can't cook.

Kosher salt is an exception to that rule because of how common it is. It's the default salt in a lot of households.

All salts taste the same in the final product of a dish. It's just sodium in the end. It doesn't really matter what you use. Kosher gets better distribution because of the size.

In the States perhaps.
I have certainly never seen it in any shop.
Actually, I've have never heard anyone from Europe or Australia even say the words 'Kosher' and 'salt' in the same sentence.

Larger, flakier crystals.

That might sell well in the US if marketed properly.

youtube.com/watch?v=wOV1e1sjmmY

Just like the good 'ol days right after 9-11!

These people are Veeky Forums as fuck

just like homeless people, worn out clothes + strange random combinations sometimes results in an interesting result

In French it's just "gros sel" (big salt).

These apply here too.

In Greece almost all salt is sea salt (obviously) and the word "kosher" is never used.
I didn't even know what it meant before looking up american recipes for meat curing.
We have "table salt" (probably meaning mineral salt) and memealayan pink salt, but no jew salt or dick chopping here.

I live by the sea and as an experiment tried to make some salt by letting sea water evaporate on the sun. It was probably full of vestiges of other stuff but it was pretty good.

Anyway, all salt over here is sea salt as far as I know. You have the fancy fleur de sel and himalayan salt and stuff like that but those are the memes.

who /filthy meme salt/ here?

normal salt usually contains iodine too, because the government knows best.

the government is really cute

always looking out for us

>coarse
>UNREFINED
>CELTIC SEA

Without iodine all the midwest cucks would have goiters the size of baseballs.

You're welcome.

>midwest cucks
I trust you're aware that most of the mined salt in the USA comes from the midwest, right?
Morton's Salt, with salt mines all through Ohio, Indiana, UNDER lake Erie and the world largest salt plant is in Michigan

Ignorant "elitist" Coasties BTFO

> meme
I am sick and tired of this word.
It's 2009's "epic," but, like, it's actually detrimental.
If nobody anywhere talked about sea salt but, but everyone every where; through hear-say and "that's what my aunt cooked with," were using sea salt due to some shit that started generations ago, then it would be a meme.
Preferences =/= memes
Fads =/= memes
Media molded cultural trends =/= memes
Things that annoy you =/= memes

Holy fucking shit I hate that word.

Most of their food comes from the heartland.
They act like it all comes for overseas or the ocean.

you need to calm the meme down and take a big meme breath.

>Holy fucking shit I hate that word.
That's because your probably not saying it right.

>them
>theme

>mem
>meme

OK now that that's sorted, let's talk salt!

Meme just means "thing I don't like" today.

>complains about memes
>actually meme-posts while doing it

>=/=
Nice memeposting, faggot.

> =/=

!= master race

yes it contains essential minerals that are healthy for your body

table salt is stripped of all nutrients

the same reason why honey is healthier than white sugar

also how old are you OP 2 years old?

sea salt has been around for the entire time the earth has been here

its not new

We're not fish, we have not evolved for the mineral distribution in sea water. Or for added salt in our food for that matter.

all food has sodium
if you happen to eat foods low in sodium its perfectly fine to add a little unprocessed sea salt to your diet

the distribution doesnt matter its about avoiding the deficiency's which are prevented if you have the trace minerals

IF you are going to add salt to your diet its way better to use sea salt or pink himalayan

We haven't "Evolved" to use the internet either, yet that doesn't seem to be stopping you.