Help brehs. What writer, contemporary or classical, has the comfiest descriptions of Nature?

Help brehs. What writer, contemporary or classical, has the comfiest descriptions of Nature?

I just wanna read about green grass swaying in the valley breeze under the shady, white mountain peaks as the low red sun crests towards its rest.

Jorge Isaacs - Maria
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita

Growth of the soil by hamsun

You might like Thomas Hardy. I enjoyed the nature depiction in Return of the Native far more than the characters or plot.

Go outside and experience it first hand.

John Muir

Bruno Schulz

John Clare is probably the supreme nature poet in English.

I would second Thomas Hardy too: read Weathers.

Linkola

Seconding you on both accounts. Clare and Hardy are supreme in each of their genres, at least with regard to nature.

>He rose and walked to the entrance with the careful tread of one conscious of his alcoholic load. Some others followed, and they stood looking into the twilight. The difference between the peacefulness of inferior nature and the wilful hostilities of mankind was very apparent at this place. In contrast with the harshness of the act just ended within the tent was the sight of several horses crossing their necks and rubbing each other lovingly as they waited in patience to be harnessed for the homeward journey. Outside the fair, in the valleys and woods, all was quiet. The sun had recently set, and the west heaven was hung with rosy cloud, which seemed permanent, yet slowly changed. To watch it was like looking at some grand feat of stagery from a darkened auditorium. In presence of this scene after the other there was a natural instinct to abjure man as the blot on an otherwise kindly universe; till it was remembered that all terrestrial conditions were intermittent, and that mankind might some night be innocently sleeping when these quiet objects were raging loud.

I'm partial to Emerson.

Thoreau does it better.

I was talking about Hardy's poetry. He's not a very good novelist (except, as you said, his descriptions of nature, which work better in verse anyway).

This is the weather the cuckoo likes,
And so do I;
When showers betumble the chestnut spikes,
And nestlings fly;
And the little brown nightingale bills his best,
And they sit outside at 'The Traveller's Rest,'
And maids come forth sprig-muslin drest,
And citizens dream of the south and west,
And so do I.

This is the weather the shepherd shuns,
And so do I;
When beeches drip in browns and duns,
And thresh and ply;
And hill-hid tides throb, throe on throe,
And meadow rivulets overflow,
And drops on gate bars hang in a row,
And rooks in families homeward go,
And so do I.

Sir Walter Scott

>He's not a very good novelist
He is though.

K E A T S

E

A

T

S

If you like the sun, go with Camus

You probably posted him, although Coleridge has stuff that rivals him. I'd look into Shelley and Byron if you haven't already. There's some great nature description in Childe Harold's Pilgrimage (Byron) and Ode to the West Wind/Mont Blanc by Shelley.

Nah, not really. Jude the Obscure is his one good novel.

Fuck out of here, Casterbridge is a triumph.

While I think Schulz is great at describing nature, I don't think I would describe it as comfy. There isan immanent critique of Romanticism in his work.