Why are turkey sandwiches so damn popular? I get that it's inoffensive and readily available...

Why are turkey sandwiches so damn popular? I get that it's inoffensive and readily available, so people eat it out of convenience. But does anyone actually really like it? It isn't gross, but it's bland? Do people think turkey sandwiches are healthy? Why is it that when I imagine the average stereotypical American lunch I envision an oven roasted turkey sandwich on white bread?

You answered your own question

/thread

So what you're saying is that you just don't like turkey and that to you means nobody else should either?

Black peppered turkey + honey smoked ham sliced on a sandwich is wonderful.

Of course your perception of turkey is misled if you go by processed pre sliced deli meat or Subway.

I grew up with Cajun neighbors that moved to the town I was raised in because of some Chevron deal. Anyway, the turkey they made was wonderful, we always would buy two turkey for Thanksgiving--one for us and one for their family. They would fry it up.

Turkey giblets and chopped liver made the best gravy ever to put on the mashed potatoes. I never knew my grandmother threw those in most gravy she made until much later.

I don't know, turkey and tuna are probably two of the most inoffensive things to make a sandwich out of so it makes sense that in any store you go to they have premade sandwiches with them. When turkey is high-quality, it's pretty damn good, but when it isn't, I want to fucking vomit.

>tfw not american
>tfw all of one turkey ranch in the entire country
>it ships ALL of it's product overseas
>have to settle for 100 dollar per-turkey imported bullshit frozen turkeys

not liking turkey is unpatriotic

>Turkey is inoffensive

What? Do other meats trigger you?

Ok gigi cestone

i actually like turkey.

erdogan pls go

most western people consider eating cats dogs primates offensive so yea

I don't think turkey is anymore healthy than any other sandwich. I do think turkey taste better than the other deli meats, especially ham. I switch it up every now and then but my standard is turkey because it taste best.

Turkey got a vague reputation as a "healthy" choice. And it's pretty cheap. Combine that with general blandness and that equals popularity among people looking for an unimaginative default choice for lunch meat. It's the same reason chicken breast became the default choice for dinner for people who want to feel like they're eating the "right" thing, but don't give a fuck about taste.

The ham sandwich used to be the default unimaginative choice, so much so that lackluster political candidates used to be referred to as ham sandwiches. But as pork fell out of fashion for a variety of reasons (people viewing red meat as unhealthy, desire to appeal to people with dietary restrictions and the popular desire for lean protein) turkey filled the vacuum.

I don't believe many people actually like turkey sandwiches, so much as the need a default choice they feel good about that tastes OK. That's the reason for their popularity.

>I don't believe many people actually like turkey sandwiches

well

you are wrong

I would argue I am not. They're on the order of Budweiser beer- a familiar default choice people order when they're not paying attention and don't want to have to think. My guess is very few people actually crave turkey sandwiches they way they crave a good burger, pizza or fried chicken. They just eat them because, well, what the fuck else are they gonna have for lunch?

They are tasty and an easy excuse for napping

kek

And where in the west would you actually be able to get a dog sandwich?

>Do people think turkey sandwiches are healthy?
turkey is generally pretty lean and high in protein. as long as you don't go overboard with bread and unhealthy condiments, a turkey sandwich can be pretty healthy.

>I would argue I am not.

and your argument is clearly falsifiable.

i like turkey sandwiches. i'm quite sure i'm one of many. and i'm a relatively adventurous eater. your ruminations on how people can eat relatively bland, lean meat when there are alternatives are really quite stupid and pretentious. people like foods all over the spectrum.

Cheap ham is like 70% water 20% salt 10% pig asshole
Cheap roast beef is a gristly nightmare
Cheap bologna might just be plastic
Salami, turkey and chicken are the only safe cheap choices, and I think Salami is too flavorful for some people.

>forgetting about based liverwurst

for me the health difference between turkey and say genoa salami just isn't big enough to offset the flavor difference

>ay paulie where's the fukin gabagool
is op implying that turkey is flavorless? I eat turkey all the time, it's my favorite meat. Turkey burgers, smoked turkey, sliced turkey, roasted turkey, boiled turkey, fried turkey, lemon turkey, creole turkey..
I think that's about it.

ok bubba

People 'like' turkey in the same sense they 'like' chicken breast.

They are told it's more healthy and have the palate of a 5 ear old and thus can't enjoy thigh or wing meat

deli turkey fuckin sucks just like pretty much every other deli meat loaf that has been cooked in the shittiest way possible and meat-glued together in a cost effective meat-slicer friendly shape.

get a real turkey breast and slice it with a meat slicer and it may be a bit crumbly and you might not get thin slices but it will fuckin taste good and it won't be some disgusting gelatinous mess.

fun fact, when applying the meat glue they use in every single unnaturally shaped log of deli meat, you are directed to smell the product and, as an indication that it is working correctly, the scent it's supposed to give off, I shit you not, is described as "wet dog hair".

eat fresh, you dipshits

you can like breast meat and also like thigh meat you bellend

I like turkey sandwiches so anyone talking shit can suck my dick

raise ur own fuckin retard

Can confirm. Literally nothing better than spicy Caribbean deli turkey with fresh tomato, shredded lettuce, and mayo on italian bread.

Why turkey and not chicken?

tfw 20 minutes away from a free-range turkey ranch
living in the boonies is ok sometimes

One of the best sandwiches I ever had was one of those overpriced airport convenience store sandwiches. All it had was turkey, cranberries and butter but it was tasty as hell. Maybe it was because I was really hungry but I have eaten convenience store sandwiches and nothing came close to the airport one.

Yeah and theres reason for that chinky.

>Burger, pizza, or fried chicken
fatty

If you live in the boonies you should have free-range (I.e., wild) turkeys just running around everywhere. I see them all the time. Hit a big Tom once and did $600 worth of damage to my frontend

One of my favorite sandwiches is a wheat turkey/swiss with pickled jalapenos GOAT GOAT GOAT

Kek

i do but they're all pretty wiry, never seen a real big one worth bagging
there's just not enough food around here

Swiss what?

cheese, the kind from the can

Low fat, high protein, doesn't over power other flavors.

Yeah, it's a simple lunch meat. Do you have such a problem with that?

>pork fell out of fashion for a variety of reasons (people viewing red meat as unhealthy
Pork is a white meat.

You're just a fat piece of shit that can't appreciate anything that isn't fried or fatty. Turkey is the best deli meat

Let's talk about things we regret eating with turkey.

Love a good thigh for pulled turkey sandwiches.

>Turkey is the best deli meat
Yeah no. It's the meat you use when you feel like you should use meat in a sandwich but don't want the meat to add more flavor than the lettuce.

Try a turkey Havarti panini with bell pepper and onion chopped, tomatoes, with a thin layer of cream cheese. A little aoli and toasted open is good.

Would literally be exactly the same if you didn't include the turkey.

Because turnkey is way the fuck better for sandwiches than ham/chicken, and much less expensive than beef

Trim, actually, because I don't eat that shit. But I know people crave it.
In your dreams.
This

No it isn't, you faggot. Why do you think you have authority over other peoples thoughts?

>Why do you think you have authority over other peoples thoughts?
Turkey is actually pretty damn objectively, and I mean that as in actually objectively, flavorless, especially when compared against other deli meats.

No, not objectively, this is just like using literally as an intensifier, you're retarded.

No retard, objectively as in objectively, as in it's something that fucking food scientists, psychologists, and neurologists have fucking studied...you know, the reason I specified that I meant its actual meaning.

I'm not saying you're not free to love the hell out of turkey, just it's one of the blandest meats out there.

Have you only tasted processed and packaged turkey or something? You're trying really hard here but you come off as dense and trying way too hard.

Friend, processed and packaged has far more flavor than more properly prepared.

But yeah, I'm dense and trying hard.

I have a turkey sandwich every day for lunch

I eat it with just bread and turkey and everyone laughs at me

where ever you're from, they must abuse your birds, so much so, that it damaged your own taste buds

you honestly seem retarded but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you just come from a fucked up plot of land

>processed and packaged has far more flavor

Yes, you are right. The flavors of meat glue and saline.

Dipshit.

Why are you so triggered by the fact that most every other kind of meat has more flavor than turkey?

I know that retard. The implication was that THAT'S THE ONLY FLAVOR.

Dipshit.

How do you guys feel about mixing it? Like would say, a turkey and salami sandwich be appropriate?

Turkey is good on a sandwich. What the fuck are you talking about OP.

OP goes to bed at night with GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE ringing in his ears over and over. Turkey meat reminds him of all the gobbling he has done in the past and feels ashamed for. There fore turkey meat has harmed him by reminding him of his ways.

It will be okay OP. A few years of inpatient psychiatric care should fix your issue. They will probably even feed you turkey sandwiches while you're there.