Vegetarianism

From where does the meme of being vegetarian is expensive come from?

Here where i live the prices for most vegetables don't go farther than 2 dollars for a kilo. Fruits are more expensive but no more than 5 dollars a kilo.

Good cow meat costs around 10 dollars a kilo and good chicken is 8 dollars a kilo. Seafood is far more expensive shrimp goes up to 20 dollars a kilo, sole fish costs like 13 dollars and tuna 15.

Meanwhile good black beans cost less than 2 dollars for a kilo, pinto beans a dollar a kilo, lentils 1.5 dollars, soybeans 2 dollars and chickpeas being the most expensive at 3 dollars a kilo.

As you see there's a lot of difference between price and unless the situation is different in your country (which i doubt) i still can't see why people say being vegetarian is so expensive. Is it meat industry propaganda?

Other urls found in this thread:

spiceupthecurry.com/restaurant-style-kaju-curry-recipe-cashew-curry/
bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37034619
apple.com/supplier-responsibility/
huffingtonpost.com/carl-gibson/how-the-iphone_b_5800262.html
ibtimes.com.au/vegetarianism-leads-mental-health-problems-says-report-1490147
vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-makhani-restaurant-style-recipe/
vegrecipesofindia.com/veg-handi-recipe-vegetable-handi/
vegrecipesofindia.com/cutting-chai-recipe/
vegrecipesofindia.com/chilli-paneer-dry-recipe/
vegrecipesofindia.com/aloo-tikki-frankie-recipe/
vegrecipesofindia.com/veg-cheese-toast-sandwich-recipe/
vegrecipesofindia.com/kulfi-falooda-recipe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>From where does the meme of being vegetarian is expensive come from?

People being stupid and buying pre-made vegetarian meals or "meat subsitutes" instead of buying produce and cooking from scratch.

I recently decided to stop buying meat (except for eggs) and I can confirm that it is cheaper. It's also not as hard as I thought it would be. It's pretty nice.

That's a good point, I never thought of that.

Stupidity surely plays a part but there must be some other reason, or are people that stupid?

Laziness? Inability to cook from scratch? An irrational fear of learning to cook from scratch?

IMHO those all fall under "stupidity".

Vegetarianism and veganism are just weird self-denial things that make no sense to me unless somebody is deathly repulsed by meat and such. The only immoral aspect to meat comes from some factory farms that mistreat animals.

Why wouldn't you eat meat? It's delicious.

I understand that you can monkishly sustain yourself on beans and lentils, but why? Variety is the spice of life.

As to the question of vegetarianism being expensive, I have never heard anybody say that where I'm from, only that veganism is an expensive privilege.

>I recently decided to stop buying meat (except for eggs)

I certainly eat a lot less meat these days. I eat vegetarian most of the week. On the weekends when I have more time to cook I go carnivore though. I can afford nicer cuts of meat when i do eat it and I appreciate it a lot more.

My wife is basically vegetarian because she's never liked meat all that much and it doesn't sit will with her (she has crohn's as well) so she just doesn't really eat it. It's not a moral thing though.

Because it's just another bs excuse for not eating a vegetarian diet.

Ugh.

What did she mean by this?

Eating meat is a meme.

>beans and lentils

found the flyover

When I was in the US I could buy quartered chicken for 50 cents a pound (Texas, HEB) whereas a 10oz box of lettuce/greens cost $3. It wasn't the fancy/organic stuff either. Meat can be much cheaper both by weight and caloric value than veggie stuff if done correctly. Omnivores don't eat steak and shrimp every day

I shop at HEB a few times a week. Have been doing so for years. The numbers you are posting are atypical--for current prices anyway.

Chicken quarters are usually $1.77 per pound. Sometimes they're cheaper if there is a sale, but that's rare.

>>box of lettuce
When it comes in a box or a bag it's highly marked up. The loose vegetables that don't come in a box or bag are far less costly than the prepackaged stuff.

Generally speaking the veggies will be cheaper, though there are always exceptions.

There are many parts of the US where people do not have regular access to fresh food. What are people in food deserts supposed to eat? Because often the answer is gas station food. That's not a healthy diet for anyone. And good luck going vegetarian in a food desert.

People with moral just don't put taste over every fucking horrible thing in the world dumbfuck.

What constitutes a "food desert"?
I am not familiar with this phrase.

Nope, meat tasting good is the only excuse I need. That and I don't have a vagina.

It's a place where supermarkets and fresh food are hard to come by. A lot of them exist in lower income areas of cities in the US. Grocery stores don't hang around since they just get robbed and nobody shops there. Since many people in those areas don't have cars they end up having to eat at the nearby kfc or gas station.

It's a place where food has limited availability. Usually a combination of a limited number of shops, and those shops only stocking the most basic of ingredients.

Examples:

A rural area where there are no supermarkets for miles around, just a small "general store" with a very limited selection

A run-down inner city area where the only options are convenience stores

Posting a God tier recipe I tried recently. Probably the best thing I've eaten in ages. If you don't have certain ingredients then you can always try your local Pajeet store, you'll get most of them for dirt cheap there. Also decrease the amount of spices a tad bit and add in a bit of ketchup. Not even kidding about the ketchup

spiceupthecurry.com/restaurant-style-kaju-curry-recipe-cashew-curry/

This happens in the USA?
What States typically have this problem?
I spent time in Imperial Valley (El Centro area) and thought it was pretty isolated but never saw this sort of stuff.

The other guy's map shows the places where it's most common

It's caused by MUH HOME MUH CASTLE cager culture which discourages people from living in proximity to one another and also discourages sensible land use policies that put people's residences in reasonable proximity to places where they may shop and work

People literally consider it a status symbol that you have to drive 2 hours to buy groceries

The thing is pulse and lentils can be stored for months together if you know what you are doing. You don't have to go to a store every month to refill your stock

I can tell you that in southeast DC the only place to get food is a gas station or a popeyes chicken. It may have changed now because the gub'mnt started building fancy work facilities there but until recently the nearest actual grocery store was across the river.

40% over 40 in America suffer from erectile disfunction and guess why? Clogged arteries from all the saturated fats. Enjoy watching your wife getting fucked by a potent male with your benus dat u have 8DD

Canned & frozen stuff. Sure, they do have meat but the selection will be very poor.

>This happens in the USA?
Yep.
>What States typically have this problem?
Depends on how the problem comes about.

One type would be to live in a rural area where there simply isn't anything nearby. That could happen in nearly any state. A good friend of mine used to live in St. Amant Louisiana. It's been several years since I've been there, but at the time the closest place you could buy food was a 25-minute drive away. It was a "gas station" that also sold clothes, hunting/fishing gear, farm stuff, and so on. Very basic food selection--milk, processed cheese, a few brands of cereal, some basic canned food, and that's about it really. Finding a big-chain supermarket or a Walmart required driving about 45 minutes.

The other way these pop up is in poor inner-city areas. That could occur in "the bad parts" of nearly any major city, but are mainly in cities whose economy has since collapsed. Detroit would be a good example. Theft and other crime causes the big supermarkets to shut down, and the only places still around are gas stations & convenience stores.

The majority of meat consumed in the US is raised in horrible conditions.

Indeed. So all you have to do is avoid the "majority" of the meat rather than all of it.

>abusing humans, not okay
>killing humans, not okay
>abusing animals, not okay
>killing animals, okay

what a strange world we live in

What's strange about it? You've heard of the food chain, right?

Humans are above subhuman animals

Food chain is only working with natural enemys. And don't think about getting attacked by a bear because it will be shot right after you go to the police. Same goes for every other animal that could possibly hurt humans.
>muh food chain
>muh proteins
>muh dick

Meatards are fucking pathetic.

We can choose not be a part of it. We don't presently apply morality to, nor do we expect it of animals.

If there were a higher species that we could communicate with, and they decided they wanted to start eating us, would you just accept your fate?

Humans are the apex pretador. Stay mad

>If
Fuck outta here with hypotheticals

So what about the food chain you talked about idiot? The whole system can only work as a chain. Its not a pyramid fool.

I think you are completely off base.

>being this pedantic

Why are the vegetarians raising pigs?

Also, keeping sheep/chickens/cows till they die of old age is going to make their produce rather expensive.

it's everything you don't make from scratch that's fuck you expensive. I guess for a neet who doesnt .Ind wasting hours every day on cooking it makes no difference at all

Why even buy in the first place, just get some seeds from rotten discarded fruit and plant everything you need, don't waste electrocution either, walk to the nearest water source with some buckets, and grind the grain with rocks

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37034619

>Parents who restrict their children to a vegan diet could face a jail term if a controversial bill is passed by the Italian parliament.

Hey bro are you enjoying that child slave labour phone and computer?

They are rescued farm animals in sanctuaries.

I don't care about that, I have erectile discfunction anyways for masturbating twice a day plus I don't have a wife and I don't even want a girlfriend. I would rather eat the meat than become a farm animal being killed away for days and worked to death like a mule

Are you? At least I know where my shit comes from. apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

#rekt

I'm ok with abusing animals, I don't enjoy abusing animals and see no point on doing so but animals shouldn't have rights when most humans don't have fights in the first place and the few that do keep loosing them

I myself do it because of environmental reasons.

We have natural enemy's that's islam

Nonono I'm perfectly ok with it you are the one bitching, I don't share your sense of perverted morality you don't get to judge me by your rules

This is stupid, you can't affect anything environmentally on an individual level.

Becoming a mass murderer would be far more effective.

you sure about that boyo?
huffingtonpost.com/carl-gibson/how-the-iphone_b_5800262.html

so lions not eat meat? im confused

100% this. Instead of having a hollistic outlook on food getting a full range of nutrients & flavor from veg and meat, autistic contrarian eaters limit what they eat and managed to convince themselves that their slime covered shitballs don't look and taste disgusting.

Right, which makes it expensive. And that's an expense I'm okay doing away with

I might have misspoke. It was chicken leg quarters (thigh and leg sections) rather than whole quartered chicken, but it was consistently 50c per pound in a 10lb bag. I was back in San Antonio for a few days in July and they still had it

picking food groups that you don't eat for no good reason is a meme like those anti-gluten cunts (not coeliacs, they alright)

There's probably some good reasons why non-celiac-disease people feel better after cutting gluten out.

One of the big ones is eating too much protein in general. Despite the modest protein content of wheat, gluten adds up in the diet due to the sheer volume of wheat products, and it's a methionine-rich protein.

Your body can only do two things with methionine: synthesize proteins containing methionine, or convert it to homocysteine. So any excess goes to homocysteine.

Homocysteine can be converted back to methionine (no good if there's too much methionine to begin with), or to cysteine. From cysteine, the body can do more things with it, but the conversion process has a limited rate (which varies from individual to individual, and can be affected by other dietary considerations), so you can build up an excess of homocysteine in your blood.

High homocysteine is terrible for you. It feels like stress. It attacks your connective tissue, nervous system, and circulatory system. It erodes your self control and enjoyment of life by acting as a dopamine-blocker.

People who go gluten-free or vegetarian and feel much better may have inefficient homocysteine disposal. They can also seem weird and stupid because of minor brain damage from homocysteine, and from having their dopamine blocked much of the time while their brain was growing.

>kilo
So are veggememes like cocaine?

I regret starting the vegan trolling.

Vegans and vegetarians are insufferable and should drink bleach.

I masturbate twice a day and don't have ED. Can easily go 4 times a day and still remain rock hard.

Makes me wonder if these #nofap fags simply have to eat less cholesterol bumping foods.

Why is there a vegetarian/vegan shitposting thread on this board every day? Do we make you guys that insecure?

>This happens in the USA?
Friend, I say this entirely nonpatronizingly btw, non-Americans don't seem to be able to grasp just how large the US is. There's at least four states that I can think of that I can drive in a straight line in for 10 hours at 75 mph and still be in that state. We are friggen huge. It takes around 24 hours of driving to get from the Canadian border to the Mexican border.

This is part of the reason that American shopping habits are very different from European. In Europe, it's common to not really get groceries for more than a handful of days in advance. In the US it's common to purchase all of your groceries for a month at one time (probably the most common period is 2 weeks) because it's such a hassle to make it to the store and back.

>We can choose not be part of it
No we really can't.

I think the reasoning was less "lions eat meat" and more "lions eat meat therefore it's okay for me, another animal, to also eat meat" but the artist couldn't fit it all on there
>group x doesn't have rights, therefore group y shouldn't have rights either
A+ reasoning
I hate this. Yes, the environmental impact of everything you do is very, very small. But how many people do you think are sitting on their ass right now drinking out of a plastic water bottle, not bothering to recycle, pay attention to how much water they use or the food that they eat? There are a lot of people who do this because "someone else will do it for me" or "I won't make a difference." But collectively, if these people actually decided to do something, it would make a great impact.
I think the idea of giving up meat/dairy/eggs is threatening, even scary to a lot of people, so they need beat down the idea as much as possible. I can understand that, because there was a time when I thought I could never be veg either.

>I think the idea of giving up meat/dairy/eggs is threatening, even scary to a lot of people, so they need beat down the idea as much as possible. I can understand that, because there was a time when I thought I could never be veg either.
You're thinking about it too hard.

A lot of us live pretty shitty lives. Food is one of the few pleasures we have in our lives. Getting rid of some of our favorite foods literally is making our lives worse and all eating "better" gets you is more of your shitty life during the shittiest period of it.

I honestly can't see how people could have a problem eating fish and bugs

I understand not wanting to butcher animals, but I see nothing wrong with eating eggs and drinking milk.

this thread is full of twats and is not worth posting in

i've been back on Veeky Forums for only 4 days and I'm already tired of the echo chamber on both sides of these veg threads

you people do realize that you're insane right? all of you in here.

Vegetarianism is a fucking meme and you faggots should be deported to Australia or some shit.

It's cheaper to cook from scratch without meat than with meat. I feel bad about the animal conditions in the US, but not enough to stop eating meat. It's a good way to save money.

Being a vegan however is stupid economics wise because it's so limiting that you have trouble finding things to cook without using expensive replacement items.

Just because you call someone's morality perverse, that doesn't make it true. Refraining from killing is literally less perverse than killing

>be liberal vegan
>desperately fight to import millions of natural born meat eaters from third world shitholes who will never give up their food culture

Butchering of animals happens regularly in the dairy industry.

This.

You can't take the mother's milk without killing the baby it's meant for. Think for half a second ya doofus.

>I can't stop everything so I might as well give up!

you do what you can while accounting for your own needs and desires. just being alive (choosing not to kill self) means you're going to participate in things that cause suffering for others. best thing a moral person can do is set a personal limit and keep pushing it.

it's not hypocritical.

I live in a rural town in the middle of nowhere and don't have a car, yet there's still a grocery store within 15 minutes of walking.

So they're forcing living creatures to stay on their land? Kidnapping and forced imprisonment?

Cows produce more milk than the calf needs. Yes, the big and scary dairy industry removes the calf, but small farms don't do this. Source: I live rurally and have worked on farms like this since toddler age.

They rescued them from Auschwitz 2.0 aka farm factory where pigs only got a cage about their size. They get plenty of room to spend their life until they die naturally.

Standing around and getting liquid sucked out of your nipples will make you weak. There's no endless milk source in cows. Their bones will get weak and they will be missing nutrients. When a cow is around 6 or 7 It will be too weak to stand or even function properly. Than it will get dragged away and killed for the "cheap" meat out of the supermarket.

at least people are discussing veganism -- not just hiding away in denial of animal cruelty like you. boo hoo they hurt my fweelings grow up you moron.

You have never seen a cow in your entire life have you user

Insane is fun. Join us :D

Friendly reminder that a vegetarian diet makes you almost 20% more likely to suffer from serious mental illness

ibtimes.com.au/vegetarianism-leads-mental-health-problems-says-report-1490147

It's more that mentally ill people happen to be vegetarian t b h

Shitty western vegetarian diet maybe.

Anyway posting some GOAT Indian recipes

vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-makhani-restaurant-style-recipe/

vegrecipesofindia.com/veg-handi-recipe-vegetable-handi/

vegrecipesofindia.com/cutting-chai-recipe/

vegrecipesofindia.com/chilli-paneer-dry-recipe/

If you don't have certain spices with you then you can always visit your local Pajeet store

vegrecipesofindia.com/aloo-tikki-frankie-recipe/

You can use tortilla for this one

vegrecipesofindia.com/veg-cheese-toast-sandwich-recipe/

vegrecipesofindia.com/kulfi-falooda-recipe/

You can find most of the ingredients at your local Pajeet store, replace the kulfi with vanilla ice cream if you don't like kulfi