ITT: Contemporary young fiction

ITT: Contemporary young fiction

Who are some contemporary young authors (under 30) worth reading?

Doesn't matter how obscure.

Pic related: Ben Brooks (age ~23) has published "Grow Up" and "Lolito"

>Ben Brooks (age ~23)
I'm sure he's been ~23 for like 5 years now.

Go to bed, Ben

He was born in 92 so he is either 23 or 24 right now

gotta get "out there" somehow

Oh yes op - stellar stuff indeed.

"Sometimes I think of atoms as tiny people who are extremely scared and hold hands with each other a lot. I imagine that my body is made of tiny, scared people, and they pick up mugs and books, which are made of other tiny, scared people. And when you sex someone it's just lots of tiny, scared people holding hands.
I think about the tiny people that are me and I feel less alone.
I'm an army of tiny people, trying their best."
Ben Brooks, Lolito

This can't be real

When I got the book, I was totally excited and had to read it immediately. And it was worth it. Honestly, 'Lolito' is an epic book written by an awesome writer. Honest? Yes. Shocking? Definitely. Funny? Of couse!

When 15-year-old Etgar finds out that his girlfriend betrayed him and lied to him, he trys to find diversion and signs in an adult chatroom and begins to chat with Macy, a middle-aged housewife.
Etgar, being totally screwed up, lonely, finds concolation in this and starts to build up kind of a relationship with Macy, including cyber sex and even a real life meeting.

This book blow me over, seriously. Etgar is an absolutely fascination character, who goes through a lot of emotions during the story. That makes him even more interesting, looking at the fact, that this books is also concentrating on our generation.
However, Etgar is not some mainstream boy you meet on the street, he is more than that, more thoughtful and definitely more multilayred. On the one hand, he does what boys his age do: going to Facebook, thinking about girls and sex, having first drinking experiences. But on the other hand, he doesn't like partys and many people, he gets uncomfortable, when he is comfronted with exercises that include talking to strangers and a bit courage, making him seem like a pretty insecure teenager.
I do not think, that he is a good example for what teenagers his age do in general, but his life and the stuff he sees, notices and thinks about are.

His insecurity continues, when he meets Mace. For example, he excuses for nearly everything. However, there are a few things that stay a bit unclear, especially about Macy. You don't get to know, if she really didn't know about Etgars age before meeting him and it is kind of vague what happens afterr they met.
You know, that she doesn't go to prison, but there is no talk or communication between her and Etgar, which makes you feel a bit confused about whether it is over now or not.

But that doesn't make it less funny or fascinating. The way Brooks mangaged it to show how teenagers sometimes act, speak and think is still unbelievable. Sometimes Etgar thought about stuff, I never thought about. And then again it was shocking, but totally funny. If you read it, pay also attention to the way Etgar and his friends speak. There is this epic line on page 273 where Aslam says "People are such dicks," (...) "People can fuck off." God, I love that quote.

All in all I think that 'Lolito' is an amazing book and definitely worth reading. It is funny and fascinating and once you begun with it, you can't stop.

Me

That's worse than John Green

I read this whole thing

jesus fuck i just knew from the OP pic he'd be this twitter tier asstrash but there was no way it could get published right
i am wrong and i am sad

I did read Lolito. It felt immature. As in, he has potential but that book read like an early adolescent girl; unripe.

OP here.

Could you just post some more young writers instead of / in addition to sperging out over this one?

"no"
Ben Brooks is a fucking terrible, childish writing and must be memed to his full potential

Read 'Grow Up'
It's like he watched a season of skins and wrote a novelisation.

I prefer my britlit too be about poorfags.

Youth is a spook.

You asked for us to post young writers worth reading, maybe you should have lead by example.

>he's complaining about the fact his thread has sparked discussion.
Jesus Ben should be less butt hurt people are discussing him.

I'm p sure his wikipedia page birth year increases in real time now.

>I prefer my britlit too be about poorfags

Saturday Night & Sunday Morning was pretty shit brah.

Kingsley Amis' middle aged alcholic breakdowns are top tier.