About to read this straight off the bat, no introduction to philosophy or nietzche. What am I in for?

About to read this straight off the bat, no introduction to philosophy or nietzche. What am I in for?

Misinterpretation.

Well, if I disagree with him I don't understand right?

Confusion and probably giving up after the second section. Zarathustra is not a book for the unlearned or lighthearted.

Well, I'm not lighthearted and a have a fuck ton of Ritalin at my disposal.

Let me ask this rather, if read CORRECTLY, what will I gain or learn?

Swtg then read The Birth of Tragedy

Not much, it's fairly pointless. If you do it properly you will have read the rest of Nietzsche's work, and there's nothing in Z that he doesn't cover better elsewhere.

made me spray my juice

Dwarves on tightropes

This. But do what you want.

What do you expect to gain? No matter the way that you read it, probably you wont ever see it in the way that Nie used to see it. And at anyways, it's just another person opinion, not so much to "earn"

You are overly pessimistic.

Zarathustra is the worst possible starting point with Nietzsche. You won't get anything.

Read it after you've read his other stuff. Or read it now, and then read it again later.

I've been a little bit pessimist lately, but i'd say that i'm 90% realistic.

>le pessimistic but realistic xD
Second worst meme next to smart but lazy

Brains or brawn or beauty.

At least throw some argument, not just
>Le meme le funny xd

If you haven't read all of his other works, don't bother: you won't understand a single thing in it.

Zarathustra is an inspiring self-help book for people that are too edgy for Christianity. No background reading is really necessary to appreciate its lyricism or profundity.

That's a trap mate to justify your unhappiness and not do anything about it. You can be realistic and happy, I promise. I am.

Lmao. Nietzsche is like the least esoteric philosopher of all time. Probably why all the plebs love him. His metaphors and parables are straightforward as fuck. Almost to he point of oversimplicity.

Classic example of a plebeian exoteric reader of Nietzsche.

I'm 50 pages in and started reading a week ago (reading it between a few other books). Is it really supposedly that 'difficult'? So far I get a large majority of the stuff he's writing and am finding it pretty interesting and reflective of some of my own views (the Superman, lighting in the cloud, the down-going, ect)

>mods deleted the last Nietzsche thread just as it was getting good

the lit mods are such fucking faggots

Tell me what's so hard to understand ideas that are so shallow and popular in the modern world that teenage girls literally quote them on their facebooks and tumblrs?

You're wrong though. It might seem simple at first but when you really analyze what he's saying you start to realize how complex his writings really are

your a dorable

The first few stories are pretty easy but it gets progressively harder as you go deeper.

And you should never assume you've actually interpreted shit correctly if you have no outside knowledge of Nietzsche to contextualize things.

not the guy you replied to but he is kind of right even if he was trying to bait, i dig nietzche but most of his work is quackery

Are you aware of Nietzsche's use of the mask? If the answer is no, refrain from posting further.

oh so you are THAT kind of reader, is fine then i wont discuss about what your interpretations are but mask or no mask quackery is still quackery

can confirm. this book was my intro to philosophy and i gave up after the last page of the second section

Not all opinions are equal

Frustration and confusion, until you go back and read other works by nietzsche

Reading his other stuff should be enough to give you a basic idea of the themes

You want to really understand it though you are going to have to read the other philosophers he references and maybe have some basic contextual knowledge of the philosophical scene at the time

Guys this is bait... This is a bait thread...

I hope

why do you think is bait?

Nietzsche is the enemy of reason, enemy of science and that's why in college philosophy students read Nietzsche, because the universities of philosophy are taken by obscurantist. In college you don't study philosophy but pseudo philosophy like existentialism
It literally doesn't serve well for anything but being depressed is pure quackery and is worth some good laughs and some good memes
is it really so hard for people to understand this?

Is it this easy to be a retard? Wew lad.

Beyond Good and Evil might be better as an entry text.

It's so sad that Zarathustra is often recommended as Nietzsche's core work. I mean, it's true but it should be considered philosophical malpractice to guide someone into it. without a healthy knowledge of the greeks, the bible, and Nietzsche's other works.

Pretty much everything you've included in this post is retarded other than good memes. Nietzsche was a meme master.

BGE is good but Twilight is the best, it's short, gives you a sense of Nietzsche and how he does shit (Philosophy by the hammer) and hits most of the major points.

The fuck should I know? Read it then tell me what you were in for.

He can easily be rejected. His philosophy can't be categorized as right or wrong though.

I literally just started a thread about Thus Spoke Zarathustra and then I see this..

I'll just take this as a sign to give it a read when I have the chance

>in college philosophy students read Nietzsche
>In college you don't study philosophy but pseudo philosophy like existentialism

You are completely wrong on both accounts.
Source: I majored in philosophy

>is it really so hard for people to understand this?

Understand what? I thought you were shitposting, but you weren't. The only thing I now understand is that-

a. you are completely mistaken about what an education in philosophy entails
b. you hold philosophy and possibly the humanities in general in contempt
c. you also misunderstand one of the most influential thinkers of the last 200 years and think his ideas can be reduced to 'some good laughs and some good memes'

If you aren't baiting, I feel bad for you that you are this fucking stupid.

when he said 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' he was arguing in favor of hurting yourself on purpose, because he believed that you had a 50/50 chance of either dying or becoming an ubermench (german for big guy)

don't bother reading his works, he was clearly just a crazy nazi and a ww1 veteran with syphilis

it is known

Freddy Nietzsche AKA "truths are just fictions therefore my philosophy doesn't search for truth but instead new fictional memes" AKA "the cuck philosopher" AKA "the ponyfag philosopher"

Autism the thread. how meany of you fagots have even read any of his books.

He's correct in this assertion though. There is no objective truth that can be accessed by humans because we are creatures of perception and even if the truth was laying in plain sight, it is our sight itself that would hinder us in understanding it.

>truths are just fictions therefore my philosophy doesn't search for truth but instead new fictional memes
You might come to that conclusion if you haven't read any of his works and just saw the quote "There are no facts, only interpretations" in a Facebook image post or something.

Hey guys OP here lol
I've read it already and it was EASY lol, is this supposed to be difficult ? lol wtf this is the first book I've ever read and its so easy lmao, why would I need to read his other werks ? I just get it guys, give me difficult books please.
>tfw so smart but lazy
>tfw you are handsome but shy
>ttw 'hard' books are a walk in the park for you
>tfw superior intellect
>tfw I just 'get' any book I read instantly without any previous knowledge
>tfw so lonely and depressed because of my superior intelligence

harsh.

Gay there's no such thing as hard books you are a pure fuckhead dickhead sucking on some dicks and fucking on some dicks

gods of bait, have mercy.

When Agent Wilson calls Bane a "big guy" he's clearly referencing him as the Übermensch, while himself indulges in herd mentality represented by the institution that is Central Intelligence Agency.

Prior to the scene, Wilson shoots out of the plane. He does so out of misguided anger, furious that neither faith in god (note how he shoots at the sky) nor the scientific knowledge has not given him the rest or respite he desires.

When Bane crashes the plane with no survivors, he's crashing slave morality. He's crashing old thoughts and institutions such as religions (Christianity for example). He's crashing secular humanism. He's crashing herd mentality. He's crashing even himself. In this crash, a fire rises in the wreckage - the triumph of "life" over "logic"

Then, in the end Bane reminds Dr. Pavel that "Now is not the time for fear, that comes later!" The world is necessarily moved in a cycle, endlessly repeating all past events due to finite amount of matter and infinite amount of time. In this eternal recurrence, the plane crash will repeat - again and again.

...But if life triumphs over logic, the only meaning is life then is the will to power, that means big guy will always have charge here.

Wait, is that Nietzsche? For real?
I don't know shit about philosophy, but I just wrote a paper about Hamlet where I argued that exact thing.

Like that was basically my entire thesis. Hamlet doesn't actually have a secret because there is no such thing as objective truth in the world of the play. The secret is created by people looking for it.

Yup, he has allusions to this everywhere. One I remember in Zarathustra was where Zarathustra told people that he didn't see people, but massive noses, giant ears and big eyes. It's also embedded in his idea of rationalism, which he says is just that, it's an idea that humans can't really reach, all humans and all of our perceptions are at least irrational in part if not wholly so.

There might be a 'reality' behind what we perceive but we can't detect it because the instruments we use to do so are tuned to allow us a certain set of perceptions, perceptions that were useful to us in evolutionary terms. Other creatures have other perceptions that are true to them, for example a dog seeing in black and white, or a cat that cannot taste sweetness. All perceptions are lies, and our truths are just lies that have been maintained for so long that we have forgotten they were lies. His essay On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense is one of my favorite ways to introduce students to philosophy because it's short, well written, and poses a very powerful question that radically upsets the typical freshman university student's generally positivist outlook on life.

The funniest part about that essay is that he fucking cites it, a work that he never published and only showed to a few of his friends, in his published work.