Tell me all about your budget weeknight meals, Veeky Forums...

Tell me all about your budget weeknight meals, Veeky Forums. Tell me what you make when you're trying to stretch 40-50 dollars to cover a whole week and you're tired from working 8 hours.

I know how to make chicken adobo from chicken thighs. I can make chicken curry from chicken thighs+vegetables when I work less hours. I know how to broil chicken thighs with honey and spices. I know how to marinade chicken thighs in a ginger and soy sauce and fry it up in a pan. I know how to make spaghetti. I also like frying eggs and mashing it up on rice with the runny yolk getting mixed in, then topping with hot sauce.

Notice a pattern? Notice how many goddamn chicken thighs I'm eating? Help

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.nytimes.com/topics/our-best-pasta-recipes
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>""""""stretching""""""" $50 a week

nigga pls

Try $25 max. Eggs, Veggies, and rice. I've got a good collection of sauces to mix things up.

I have have enough problem stretching 40 bucks a day.

Food is expensive here, I live in a city. Also eating nothing but eggs and veggies is going to bore the crap out of me and drive me to fast food.

Yes, I'm also in a city. DFW is 7 million people. Eating for cheap is easy as fuck.

How is eating nothing but eggs, veggies, and rice easy as fuck. That sounds miserable. Also, trust me, cost of living in Seattle sucks balls

>living in a city run by liberals

every time

And it's easy as fuck, because I can make different dishes out of the same basic ingredients, by using different vegetables, different sauces, and different cooking methods. It's better than when I used to be really poor, and it was just garlic and rice for a bit.

Live in LA, survive off rice, eggs, discount meat and bulk frozen veggies/potatos/etc for 100 or less a month.
Just stock up on seasonings and comdiments

>drove you,to get fast food
You clearly arnt poor enough

>Being able to afford meat

Cabbage, rice, and eggs bitch.

what kind of frozen veggies are best. I fucked up my budget and have 20 dollars for food this week

>different vegetables, different sauces, and different cooking methods

Care to elaborate?

Are you retarded? My dish with stir-fried peppers and broccoli in a hoisin/soy sauce mixture is going to be pretty different from steamed carrots and onions with plum sauce. This is the most basic possible cooking.

Ah, so sometimes you stir-fry peppers and broccoli in a hoisin/soy sauce mixture. And sometimes you steam carrots an onions with plum sauce. Anything else you do?

Also, sometimes people don't know things and ask about it, you don't have to be an asshole about it, otherwise how would people learn things

Pick up a fucking book, nigger.

Books cost money. I'd rather not throw it around blindly, which books would you recommend? I have a couple cook books but they're pretty fucking useless bc they're not configured for poorfags like myself

How is that "stretching?" I spend about that, eat quite well, and live in a city.

Here's what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast: coffee with milk and a bowl of Honey Graham Oh's and Ancient Grain Cheerios mixed with wholefat yogurt.
>honey graham oh's are too sweet on their own, but I made the mistake of buying a box, so I'm eating them mixed with other things to use them up

Lunch: stir fried wheat noodles with carrot, onion, spinach and krab. Made with prawn stock. Green iced tea to drink. All homemade.

Dinner: sweetpea creamy rice with parmigiano. Also a mixed greens salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Water to drink.

Also had a handful of muscadines and a bite of beef bakkwa.

Spent ~$4.62
And that's about average for me, around $35/wk.
And it's not like any of that took any substantial amount of time to cobble together, either. I spend about 30 minutes a day preparing meals.

>living in a liberal city
I'm sure what ever cuckservative shit hole you hail from is a bastion of culture and diversity that remains a hot travel destination, like Wichita. Fuck off back to

Eat more pasta. I keep bags of peas, snow peas, mushrooms, broccoli slaw, shrimp in the freezer, and make whatever on the fly, not because I'm on a budget but because I'm often tired after work. But it's still cheap. And get some pantry staples as described above from other Anons, it costs up front but they last (amortization m8) So one night will be gnocchi w prosciutto, cream, peas, and Parmesan, another be a spin off the same theme with angel hair and shrimp, another would be meat ravioli, jar tomato sauce or a quick sauce from fresh tomatoes with mushrooms, or sage & olive oil, and sometimes it's just packaged Raman with egg, and mix of the aforementioned veg. There are so many pasta combos that can be had on the cheap, be resourceful, be creative. Here's a link: cooking.nytimes.com/topics/our-best-pasta-recipes

And spinach... Forgot the spinach. You can do loads of stuff with it. The trick is to put the bag of fresh baby in the freezer immediately, you then use it a handful at a time and it lasts much much longer. So: you have some pasta, costs ~1$, you've got some Parmesan, costs ~4$, but your only going to use about .03$ for this meal, you bought some Romas from the market ~.25$, you have some spinach, cost ~3$ but .50$ for this meal. You got some olive oil, ~5$, but .10$ for this meal. Etc. there you go friendo.

Ayyyyy I live in Dallas, where are you at?

I went shopping at Fiesta yesterday and spent 60 bucks, it will easily last me for a couple weeks.

I make puttanesca with tuna and eat it 3 days in a row. Then I'll make Kim Chi Soup, crack an egg into it and bring it back to the boil and theres a meal

take some leftover cooked short grain rice, fry it in a skillet while shaping into a cake, let the bottom get crispy, crack an egg on top and let it cook a little. put whatever else you want on it and serve.

crispy rice is so damn good.

>40 - 50 a week

You do realise that's pretty above average right?

>books cost money
There's this neat new thing called a library.

Well, yes. You'll note that I say DFW two comments up that string. Koreans and Poles are the biggest influence, outside of the standard Texas fare.

I'm in the Love Field area. I have a Fiesta and a Carnival within walking distance. It's fucking great.

Did you add any oil or any thing to get the rice crispy or is it just straight in the pan?

You always use oil when frying things in a pan. that's what "frying" means.

Yeah, usually butter, sometimes a lot if the rice is dry.

Usually I eat at work because we have a restaurant in it, and, it's fucking delicious, a lot of choice and cheap.

Sometimes I eat at home, I usually cook meals like e.g. mossels with a garlic cream and homemade fries, fresh trout with mashed potatoes and coleslaw, penne rigate with pesto or quattro fromaggi sauce and more...

Beans and cheese.
rice with tuna, feta or ricotta cheese, and spinach

poverty protip: food pantries are your friend

Wild rice, Mixed quinoa, egg (1), half a chicken breast, lil bitty shred cheese, mixed green.

feels good man fills my belly total of like 400 cal fall asleep on a tuesday. rice cooker has a timer so the rice or quinoa is fresh when I get home.

>Obligatory "Wow you spend money to make decent food instead of subsisting on rice and inhaling exhaust fumes? LOLOELOLEOELOELE" post

Go away

>stretch 40-50 dollars to cover a whole week
Fucking hell, I barely spend $150 a month on groceries, and I live downtown in one of the largest cities in the US.

I'm assuming you're in one of those shitholes where you have to make $100k or you're basically poor.

Either way, plan your meals around the meat that's on sale at the local grocery stores.

I got NY Strips on sale for about $2.33/lb, so I had multiple steak dinners for extremely cheap. Pic related (total cost about $3), sauteed mushrooms in the drippings and served with steamed broccoli.

If you find pork loin on sale, you can do many things with it. One option is to stuff it and roast it. Get creative with this. You could also slice into strips or steaks, bread, and fry. Serve with whatever combination of veggies and sauce you want, or coat in buffalo sauce and serve as you would hot wings.

If you get a Boston Butt (pork shoulder) on sale, braise that beast and make carnitas.

Look for sales on sausages and ground meats. You can even do some great things with breakfast sausage: brown with onion and leeks, add mushroom, potato, carrot, and stock. Season with sage and other herbs. You've got a hearty stew for days.

>All this rice and noodles
How many asians do we actually have here? Are you all asians? Don't get me wrong I like asians but my food budget is $50 a week and I think the most asian things I eat are zucchini and spinach.

>eggs
>budget

you don't know true poorfaggotry, you stupid kek. beans and rice are the true poorfag's meal

kill yourself

>not naming his city
Total flyover

I could say New York or Seattle and you'd still call it a flyover.

Flyover is a mindset, not a place
I've got a coworker who lives in Kips Bay
Born in Brooklyn
Went to Hunter College
He's flyover as fuck

>stretch 40-50 dollars to cover a whole week
reeee

bruh the solution is to make more money/move to a better area because if youre not gonna eat meat youre gonna become weak

unless you eat heaps of tofu or something but thats even more expensive, at least where I live

2 pieces of toast. One with a slice of cheese. 3 eggs fried, scrambled in pan for a rough omelette. Add mayo or something to other piece of toast. Eat 2 if you need to, they're $0.80 each and fucking good.

Ft Worth here. Mexican grocery stores are great.

I eat white rice almost every single day when I can eat. Not because I'm poor, just because I have no motivation to do anything aside from shovel rice into the rice cooker after 16 hours of work and classes. It's cheap OP. Buy one of those giant 15 lb bags and it'll take you far. You can stir fry leftover/dried out rice with staple pantry and freezer ingredients; frozen veggies, spices, typical asian condiments, etc.. sometimes textured vegetable protein, where I live it's cheaper than meat and it comes in large quantities, I'd buy it more often but I often forget about it
After a while you start to feel weak and generally dead inside from eating nothing but rice though

I've been eating two things a lot lately. A weird chili curry tomato sauce mix I make on rice, and bitter greens soup.

I'm so fucking healthy you guys

You really are a douche. Poor guy is just curious.

I'm from Canada and make minimum wage.

A blender and a rice cooker are my two main tools to save money.

5-600 grams of spinach is about 3-4 dollars
900 grams of broccoli is 5-6 dollars
A bag of carrots is 3-4 dollars
A (Large) bag of peanuts is 4-5 dollars
A carton of eggs is 2-3 dollars
A giant bag of rice is 10 dollars
A bunch of kale is about 2 dollars
900 grams of blueberries is about 4-5 dollars
Big bag of frozen peas, corn and carrots: 2-3 dollars

Breakfast:
Spinach, kale, broccoli and blueberry smoothie with a hard boiled egg.
Not the tastiest, but fast and gives you everything you need. Low in carbs, too (Which may not be a good thing considering the theme of this thread)

Lunch:
Cup of rice, Handful of peanuts, Broccoli

Pretty basic, but hits the spot. Add an egg if you need to. I take this with me to work for some quick carbs. Microwave some margarine in there.

Dinner:
Fried rice with frozen veggies, peanuts, egg, broccoli
Or
Another green smoothie.

The bag of rice will last you about two-ish months. It gives you a huge advantage over your budget.

Are you fucking serious, seattle is cheap as fuck aside from the rent. $2 gallon of milk and $2 dozen eggs and $2.50 loaf of bread if you budget correctly.

You're just retarded and lazy, get the fuck out of my city.

I'm living off of about $50 a week of groceries and I can't complain. It's pretty good. But it took a while to get here. Was wasting a lot more a year or two ago. I guess I'm thinking a lot more about what I buy and how I use it. My fridge is basically empty except condiments and milk when I go to the store again. I try to make sure whatever I got gets used up before I go back.

Sorry the truth hurts you that much but Seattle's politics are a cancer upon this state and you deserve the absurd cost of living

>Tell me all about your budget weeknight meals, Veeky Forums. Tell me what you make when you're trying to stretch 40-50 dollars to cover a whole week and you're tired from working 8 hours.

make this
>finely dice 1 onion
>heat cooking oil in large pan
>fry onion until golden brown
>add 500g of minced beef, fry until it begins to brown
>add spices (cumin, cayenne, habanero powder, black pepper, salt) and mix thoroughly
>add 1 can of beans, mix, let it simmer for 15 minutes
>add 1 diced bell pepper, mix, let simmer for 5 more minutes

takes 30 minutes tops, now you got tasty burrito filling. divide into 5 portions and freeze.

when hungry:
>fill rice cooker with 100g of rice, 200ml of water
>put frozen portion of filling into small pot on stove, heat up
>when thawed completely, reduce heat and let it simmer
>when rice is done, heat up 3 tortillas
>divide rice and filling evenly between tortillas
>roll up, enjoy burritos

you could also make lots of burritos in bulk, but i dont know if they still taste good after reheating the next day, and they probably wont respond well to freezing.

>a bastion of culture and diversity that remains a hot travel destination

thats exactly what you dont want in your city you fucknut

>diversity
aka inner city turns into crime ridden shithole
>bastion of culture
aka annoying hipsters and lots of drugs all over the place
>hot travel destination
aka tourists drive up prices for everything like crazy

>ctrl+f
>no lentils

Soak them before you go to work. Cook with stock cubes and vegetables for a lentil stew, or alternatively, cook without anything and mix with fresh tomato, cucumber, herbs and bell pepper a home made vinaigrette for lentil salad.

Potatoes, rice and beans are the holy trinity of poorfags.
Who needs meat anyway?
Fresh, canned and frozen fruits/vegetables are also great.