What's the appeal of The Sun Also Rises, Veeky Forums? Having read it...

What's the appeal of The Sun Also Rises, Veeky Forums? Having read it, I'm having a really hard time understanding the acclaim surrounding it.

first

it captured the zeitgeist of the lost generation, and the bull fighting is nice and the basque countryside is comfy

It's proto-Red Pill literature.

Historical context is important but the gist of it is the lost generation was fucked.

>impotence
>decadence
>detachment from the proletariate

Hemingway was a god.

This. Also like most Hemingway it comments on the fragility of friendships and the role of gender within them. Notice that the protagonist is the only character who's able to speak easily and honestly to both men and women, because he's for all intents and purposes castrated. And when he does talk to women, there's this sense of pity directed towards him, because even removed from his position as a sexually capable man, he can't be asexual, only a failed male.

"I like the writing, but I don't get it."
"Read it again Fitzgerald."

-Hem showing Fitzgerald Big Two-Hearted River

it's unsentimental and depressing. followed in the tradition of successful-yet-bleak books like Madame Bovary and Hamsun.

Imagine this OP:

Getting dumped because you can't get it up for your girlfriend. Then you basically watch her run around and slut it up but you guys are still 'friends.' Then one night you just relinquish yourself to despair because your dick doesn't work and you writhe around on an empty hotel bed while she fucks some guy in the next room.

I can't imagine anything worse than this

dude my peepee doesn't work lmao

>what's the appeal of hemingway
ftfy

it's a mediocrity of a mildly interesting/depressing situation, it has some historical interest as others have suggested but it's not particularly good writing

>tips from a highschool senior

Any book that hates Jews from the first page is well worth the read

nah, try again, or maybe provide an opinion of your own

hemingway has some worthwhile writings particularly when thinking about masculinity (i would pick out old man and the sea, farewell to arms, for whom the bell tolls) but the sun also rises isn't as tightly written as those and simply because it covers some topics that might interest you doesn't make it good literature

ironically hemingway is a prime example of a writer whom people that haven't progressed beyond a highschool level of reading really seem to overrate

Lmao source please, tho this does sound entirely believable

kinda sad how much people still suck hemingway's dick
the dude was a good writer, but i think one of the largest reasons for his persistence in the culture is he captures this image of the world-weary, somewhat emasculated, and stone-faced male hiding his inner, incomprehensible ("you just wouldn't understand) man pain—which, of course, attracts the unmitigated worship of young adult males who idealize themselves as such, and simply don't know how to bear and express themselves in a more secure, self-aware, emotionally mature manner t b h

It's a book about how lack of cock transforms a man into proto-John Green and how number of dicks in your cereal does matter.

He should be viewed primarily through style when depicting a situation. He's top tier in that regard and the thing you cling on is a bit subjective, mood dependant etc.

i don't disagree, i just want to combat or complicate the notion that hemingway should be exalted necessarily for what he wrote about, rather than how he wrote it

It had a lot to do with his style and tight prose. Apparently he also captured the spirit a lost generation, one that I have absolutely no connection to so that didn't do much for me
But the way he depicts the complexities of manliness was interesting and that reason alone made it worth the read, though I enjoyed it for other reasons as well
The characters felt very real, walking a line between the image they tried to project and the human emotions underneath them
Finally, I think it again had to do with his style, but it really felt like the book came alive when the fiesta started. The atmosphere and excitement came through really well. Learning about bull fighting was cool as well

>somewhat emasculated
It'd be tough to feel very masculine when you're surrounded by literal bulls and numerous men who fuck the girl you love after having your cock shot off in the war.

It's Hemingway coping with the fact that he managed to miss out on action during not one but two world wars.

I agree about that, it's his style that carries his convictions, they are secondary on their own regardless of your own stance. After all the real woman whom Also Rises nymphomaniac was based upon looked like a dog.

you're right, but i find that the people with whom that resonates consider the tragedy of failing to live up to this masculine ideal in their own lives, rather than questioning the importance or validity of that flawed ideal in the first place

The boxing teacher punched the Jew in the face and broke his nose. He looked better after that.

He did a really good job at conveying this spirit easily. It really resonates right now, though, because our current decadence basically makes us all perpetually living like the Lost Generation. That's what really connected for me, was that this is exactly how we live now.

He's also the kind of writer that gets unduly shat on by edge lords trying to be on the patrician side of center, so go figure.

That was only one Hemingway novel. The majority of Hemingway isn't really about that.

I first came to Chicago in the twenties, and that was to see a fight. Ernest Hemingway was with me and we both stayed at Jack Dempsey's training camp. Hemingway had just finished two short stories about prize fighting, and while Gertrude Stein and I both thought they were decent, we agreed they still needed much work. I kidded Hemingway about his forthcoming novel and we laughed a lot and had fun and then we put on some boxing gloves and he broke my nose.

>Hemingway will never break your nose

This is nice. Who is it? Ezra?

Some Woody Allen short story.

I remember reading somewhere that Hem tried to teach Ezra how to box

TFW you're punched in the face in his book.